November 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Breastfeeding

1171819202123»

Re: All Things Breastfeeding

• Options
    I just push the let down button every 6 mins or so and I pump for a total of 30 mins now. I remember the days when I couldn't just pump for 20 ughhhh. 
  • Options
    @kristah2 I would use the pulse button again when I notice my flow starting to decease. It should help you get another let down. And then let it do the longer slower suction when you are having the let down. Also just give it time. At home I only pump for ten mins, but I also pump in the car on the way to work and that commute takes 20 minutes and I definitely get at least one more let down during that time without messing with the spead of the pump at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SandNStarsNJSandNStarsNJ member
    edited June 2017
    I'm not at work today because we waited until forever to get DD's birthday stuff in gear. I just took a Bump and Pump break and it kills me how much more I can pump when I am not at work. Work is the reason I have to pump in the first place!!

PS - I used the let down/pulse button 3x @kristah2 and it works WONDERS.

ETA: And you know you allow your mood to be dictated by your milk yield when you send DH a picture of your milk and even he responds with excitement. Oh, mom life.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Bump and Pump LOL
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    So I have had a hand-me-down Medela Pump In Style that I've been using. I've replaced all the parts but my yield is still pretty low. I decided recently to get a Spectra pump based on referrals from my local breastfeeding support group. Do any of you use the Spectra? Any tips?
  • Options
    All of my mom friends rave about the Spectra. Next baby I'm shelling out the $$$ for one.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @RhodaMorgenstern do you have the Ameda or did you buy a different one? Guessing we have the same one with the same insurance
  • Options
    I got the Ameda and haaaaaated it. One side had no suction whatsoever, literally 5+ oz on one side and the other side gave me 2 oz and was still leaking. I got my Christmas bonus and bought a medela freestyle so I can do dishes while pumping. It's good but the suction is nothing like the medela in style that I used in the hospital.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    I got the Ameda and haaaaaated it. One side had no suction whatsoever, literally 5+ oz on one side and the other side gave me 2 oz and was still leaking. I got my Christmas bonus and bought a medela freestyle so I can do dishes while pumping. It's good but the suction is nothing like the medela in style that I used in the hospital.
    I never bought another one because I didn't think I'd still be pumping at this stage, I figured the free one would get me through maternity leave and then I'd be done. I feel pretty confident a different brand would be giving better yield but at this point I have a stash so whatever
  • Options
    Are you planning on pumping for another +|- 5 months? Because it might be worth it to get a closed system used on your local FB mom group.

Guys, you should all pity A's daycare on Monday. I have had so much caffeine, there is 0 chance she won't be bouncing off the walls on Monday. Sorry.... I'm a bad mom.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    I'll probably keep pumping a few months at least. I've thought about getting a used Medela but I figure this does enough to get the job done  I should have gotten something a few months ago 
  • Options
    I use Spectra @jsmai, do you have any questions in particular? I don't use the letdown button or anything, but let me know if I can help you in any way. 
  • Options
    @jsmai I also got the Spectra and I really liked it. I wasn't pumping very frequently but for the times I used it it was great!
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    @MrsMaryK2016 @desoky01 I'm sure I'll have some questions when it comes in on Monday.  Right now, I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time adjusting from the Medela. I bought an adapter so i can use my Medela parts so they don't go to waste. 
  • Options
    @jsmai I used a medela with my first 4.5 years ago and I'm using spectra now. I love the spectra so much better! My plan was to keep either my old medela at home or work and the spectra the other place so I didn't have to lug a pump back and forth. Buuuuut I haven't even gotten my medela out of my basement bc I don't want to use it after using the spectra!
  • Options
    @camcbeth Oh, how I can't wait for the day I go Office Space style on my pumps!! 
  • Options
    jsmaijsmai member
    The spectra came in.  It. is. soooooooooo much better than the Medela in terms of output and comfort.  What cycle and vacuum numbers do you use,  spectra ladies?
  • Options
    BLyn627 said:
    @camcbeth Oh, how I can't wait for the day I go Office Space style on my pumps!! 
    Hahah, office space! I knew the name didn't sound right and I was too lazy to look it up. 
  • Options
    I use the highest cycle (I think) and it depends on the vacuum. Sometimes if I'm sensitive that day I start out lower but I usually end at about a 7. 
  • Options
    I'll have to keep this in mind for when my sister's have babies. I always used medela but maybe I'll suggest spectra to them if they have supply issues like I did since people seem to think the spectra works better. The medela was free through insurance that's why I used it.
  • Options
    ***Thread moved to new group; continue convo / respond there***