November 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Breastfeeding

I tried to find a breastfeeding meme but gave up. I'm tired. 

Re: All Things Breastfeeding

• Options
    Suggestions on how to treat a clogged duct? I see my doctor tomorrow for my PP check up so he'll confirm what it is. In the meantime, does anyone have any home remedies that work?
  • Options
    My pp doula basically rotated my breasts and pushed the clogs out - it hurt like hell but she said there was no alternative and it would get worse with time. Silver lining is things got easier afterwards 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That and something about opening ducts with water and a qtip 
    everything hurt in the beginning 
  • Options
    Suggestions on how to treat a clogged duct? I see my doctor tomorrow for my PP check up so he'll confirm what it is. In the meantime, does anyone have any home remedies that work?
    A hot shower and some gentle massage with some hand expression helped me last go-around. I'm dreading the impending duct clogging...
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    A hot washcloth and rubbing it with my hand have helped me with some minor clogged ducts.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Options
    Lots of massage in the shower or following using a heating pad, lots of nursing, massage while nursing, different nursing positions. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Decided to see an LC and going tomorrow. I've been pumping only since Sunday but it is more work than I thought so I want to try for a good latch to nurse a couple times a day if possible 
  • Options
    I have the Simple Wishes one and it makes a huge difference!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Decided to see an LC and going tomorrow. I've been pumping only since Sunday but it is more work than I thought so I want to try for a good latch to nurse a couple times a day if possible 
    As much work as breastfeeding is, I think EP'ing is truly where the most work is! Whatever you choose - props to you! You are doing a great job, and I really hope you are able to get a good latch down, if for no other reason than to give you some peace and an opportunity to relax while you are feeding you baby. Happy Mama = happy baby (at least most of the time!). 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you stick with the same breast for a feeding or switch it up? I've been doing just one at a time because I want him to get to the hindmilk (poop issues over here) and I hate the latching process, but at the same time one boob is always fuller than I'd like. Thoughts?
  • Options
    U can do left at 3am and right boob at 6am etc switch it up - I only get 2oz combined from both so I always let baby eat both sides every time 
  • Options
    I've always fed off one side until he lets go, do a diaper change and then feed him from the other side which usually isn't for as long. Then next time start on the boob I left off on.
  • Options
    I have what I thought were heavy duty breast pads, but I wake up to a puddle in the night!! Will there come a time where I can lay on my side without pouring out  BM? Is this just part of the regulating supply phase?
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Options
    I've been sticking to one boob because he refuses to latch on the other. But before we had this issue I would stick to one breast per feeding. He never empties it in one feeding so if we switched he would never get the hind milk. 
  • Options
    @prettypalomino yes you are just regulating right now, eventually you will mellow out and not need pads again until you ween in my experience.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    As much work as breastfeeding is, I think EP'ing is truly where the most work is! Whatever you choose - props to you! You are doing a great job, and I really hope you are able to get a good latch down, if for no other reason than to give you some peace and an opportunity to relax while you are feeding you baby. Happy Mama = happy baby (at least most of the time!). 
    Agreed!  With DS1, I became a EPer for about 2 months when he had some health issues @ 9 weeks. I HATED it!  So, so hard. 

Do you stick with the same breast for a feeding or switch it up? I've been doing just one at a time because I want him to get to the hindmilk (poop issues over here) and I hate the latching process, but at the same time one boob is always fuller than I'd like. Thoughts?
    Right now, he's content, and usually fast asleep,  after draining one side; so we're currently doing 1 side per feeding. If that changes, I'll offer the 2nd side and then start on the side the next session. 

I have what I thought were heavy duty breast pads, but I wake up to a puddle in the night!! Will there come a time where I can lay on my side without pouring out  BM? Is this just part of the regulating supply phase?
    It will get better when your milk regulates in a few weeks. Some mamas continue to leak (especially when baby starts sleeping longer), and some have no leaking issues. I literally never had need to breast pads with DS1, but need them this time (although haven't had any massive leaking). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I feel better knowing most of you are also one side at a time. He passes out so intensely that convincing him to try more seems impossible. 

@prettypalomino everyone pretty much already said it, but once you regulate that should stop. Hope it happens soon!
  • Options
    It will regulate. I would triple up my pads last time. Out of control! It does get better!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It will regulate. I would triple up my pads last time. Out of control! It does get better!
    I guess I can start layering them! Thanks all. At least DH finds it entertaining!
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Options
    I went out and bought so many pads and I literally have not used one. I'm 5 weeks PP now and find it a bit strange I'm not leaking. Though I may start using some for when I put lanolin on so it doesn't keep staining everything. 
  • Options
    @kvruns Where/to who did you go? There's a group that meets on Thursdays at IU North that i meant to check out this week, but.... I've been busy. :relieved: I like the idea of a 1-on-1 session instead..
  • Options
    I had an LC come to my house today. A friend of mine got me a gift certificate for one free session as a baby shower gift (tucking that one away for future gift ideas). She was great! She got me set up with a shield and I have to tell you it has made a HUGE difference. She also recommended I have LO checked for a tongue tie so I'm going to have his pediatrician look at it tomorrow during our appointment. @hoosiermama I definitely recommend looking online for someone in your area. There is just something about doing it at home that is particularly helpful.
  • Options
    Random fun discovery today: LO wasn't having bowel movements and was struggling with some intense gas. My drinking a little prune juice with breakfast this morning appears to have rectifies both issues as of this evening! Maybe it's coincidence but I'll be tucking that one away as worth trying again.  
  • Options
    @kvruns Where/to who did you go? There's a group that meets on Thursdays at IU North that i meant to check out this week, but.... I've been busy. :relieved: I like the idea of a 1-on-1 session instead..
    I went to St Vincent Fishers where I delivered. My pediatrician office also has LCs but they were booked until next week. St V also has the group sessions but the lady was like most people should have one on one help first bc you won't get it in the group meetings. The 1:1 isn't free but In my case they will bill insurance and my insurance covers at 100% so you could see what your insurance covers and see if IU north has appointments for 1:1
  • Options

Maybe I'm overtired but this baby is creepy and bossy.
  • Options
    I'm using an app to keep track of my feedings and noticed my hours per day nursing and number of feedings, which made me wonder what other people are averaging. I'm suddenly substantially up in hours but lower in number of feeds. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ I'm averaging very consistently 2 hours and 15 mins worth of feeding a day, about 9-11 times a day. I think I have fast let down though, pretty sure she's full by 7ish minutes and the rest of the time she's just hanging out...
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN

• Options
    I'm using an app to keep track of my feedings and noticed my hours per day nursing and number of feedings, which made me wonder what other people are averaging. I'm suddenly substantially up in hours but lower in number of feeds. 
    I used an app with DS1, but haven't used it this time. I'm mostly feeding on demand, but do wake if sleep is excessively long because he's not yet back to birth weight. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @atcwag how far out is your baby? I just had a check up for baby boy at 2 weeks (18 days) and he isn't back to birth weight yet. I was concerned but my pediatrician wasn't because he is content after eating, sleeps well and is pooping and peeing without issue. I am feeding on demand but wondering if I need to supplement or if he will start packing on the pounds on his own..
  • Options
    leighry said:
    @atcwag how far out is your baby? I just had a check up for baby boy at 2 weeks (18 days) and he isn't back to birth weight yet. I was concerned but my pediatrician wasn't because he is content after eating, sleeps well and is pooping and peeing without issue. I am feeding on demand but wondering if I need to supplement or if he will start packing on the pounds on his own..
    I wouldn't worry about it then AT ALL.  I know my newest daughter at 2 weeks wasn't back to birth weight yet.   Babies all grow at different rates.  

With my first, my Mom didn't think I was feeding her enough as she never got massive (or any really!) baby rolls and roughly fit her age in size of clothes (ex. she wore 3-6 at 3-6mths old).  She's now almost 5 and still nice and healthy and still fairly long and lean.  
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Options
    leighry said:
    Our appt was @ 6 days old. I wouldn't worry about not yet regaining birth weight. If he didn't lose more than 10% of body weight and is consistently gaining (I think minimum they look for is about 1/2 oz/day), he's doing ok....especially if he's eating well with plenty of wet diapers. How often is he eating during the day/night? Some people truly feed on demand, but both my boys have been sleepers, so I wake until birth weight is regained. I was consistent with DS1 not going more than 3 hours during the day, 4 hours @ night. I'm a little more relaxed with DS2 - I sometimes let him go 4 hours during the day. At night, he's been cluster feeding until about 1 or 2 AM. I typically set my alarm for 4 hours initially, then he sometimes sleeps 4-6 hours after that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    anne11716anne11716 member
    edited December 2016
    @leighry my little man took three weeks to get back to his birth weight of 7.5. He lost more than 10% so my pediatrician was concerned and recommended I supplement. He is now gaining weight but I'm only supplementing once or twice a day. He's now the 18th%ile for his age so still tiny but growing. He was pooping after every feeding up until a week ago it's now every other or every third day but I've heard at 6 weeks this is normal. I brought myself to tears worrying about his weight gain but wish I wouldn't have! All babies grow differently and as long as he's gaining even slowly after a week or so I'm sure all will be ok! My babe also had severe jaundice so that can play a role. Don't worry too much! I know it's so much easier said than done!
    Also, I found once I gave myself permission to relax and supplement it made my life a lot easier and less stressful. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! he was up an oz today from Wednesday and his doc said not to bother supplementing at this point. He eats every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night. I'm going to do my best to just chill... for now..  :)
  • Options
    I also read on kellymom not to think of the growth chart as a goal of getting to the 100th percentile, and that a baby at the 3rd percentile could very well be as healthy as a baby in the 97th percentile. Your baby will land where they land based not only on feedings but genetics and environment.
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN

• Options
    I also read on kellymom not to think of the growth chart as a goal of getting to the 100th percentile, and that a baby at the 3rd percentile could very well be as healthy as a baby in the 97th percentile. Your baby will land where they land based not only on feedings but genetics and environment.
    This 100%!
    My pediatrician told me when my squirt of a daughter was in the 1st percentile that "someone's has to make up the first percent!" and I finally relaxed about it! EVen now, as an almos 4 year old, she is small, but perfect and healthy!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is a weird question but does anyone smell after breastfeeding? I nursed last night and thought either he pees on me or I leaked. I Tried to smell it and it smelled weird so I figured pee. When I woke up this morning I noticed I still smelled it even though I was in different clothes but I had been sweating during the night. Am I somehow putting off an odor of what I eat bc I nurse? 
  • Options
    SandNStarsNJSandNStarsNJ member
    edited December 2016
    kvruns said:
    This is a weird question but does anyone smell after breastfeeding? I nursed last night and thought either he pees on me or I leaked. I Tried to smell it and it smelled weird so I figured pee. When I woke up this morning I noticed I still smelled it even though I was in different clothes but I had been sweating during the night. Am I somehow putting off an odor of what I eat bc I nurse? 
     I know certain foods can elicit gas but I've never heard of breast milk openly smelling because of food; I'm sure, however, it is possible. That being said, during my last post partum recovery I always thought I had  an odor and the doctor had to reassure me I in fact did not. It was weird and there were no other side effects but I always really thought I smelled.