May 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

Re: Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

• Options
    @budzynb We used the small a LOT in the first couple months then went into medium for a while. They have some sleep sacks where the arms are free that are great when they're bigger. I personally am a fan of the summer me velcro swaddles, especially the fleece. They seem more secure than the cotton when they started to get stronger (especially if it's cool enough) My first was an S14 kid so it worked well for us season wise.

• Options
    WombThereItIs @nda_roxybabe @pshaortao thanks for the suggestions! I guess I should have clarified. What I already bought were 4 wearable blankets with no sleeves in L and XL. No Velcro or anything. So it sounds like I should get a couple smalls and mediums of the swaddle-style blankets for the early months and by the time he is ready to be loose and mobile he can go into the large sleeve-less blankets. I also have some a&a swaddle blankets so hopefully those will do the trick in the beginning. Thanks again!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @budzynb It sounds like you're off to a good start! I have the a&a swaddle blankets and tried to practice on a stuffed animal before having DD. But once she was born I was like yeah no this isn't going to work. So I had DH pick up a 2pk of size small summer me swaddles with the velcro from Target and it was perfect. I gave some to a friend who had her son last year and he ended up hating the swaddles and slept better without them. Just FYI :)

• Options
    @budzynb it sounds like you've already gotten a lot of excellent tips, but wanted to add we preferred the zip up swaddles for baby as a newborn. They look like a cocoon. It was so much easier than having to re-Velcro for diaper changes and feeding throughout the night. Target sells them online for much cheaper than we've found them in any store. I think the brand is still summer me or summer infant. 
  • Options
    @budzynb , late to reply to this, but I am a serious sleep sack user--like, my DS is 2.5 and still using them. And I see no end in sight. I would worry about a tiny baby (6 months and under, really) being in a sleep sack that is too big for them. For the same reason I would worry about a blanket being in a crib--they really can't rescue themselves if the get caught up in the fabric and can't breathe. Once they get a little older, the extra fabric doesn't seem to be a problem and we constantly bought a full size up and let him wear them to death. 

Specifically, here's what we did: velcro swaddles (Summers Infant) in the smallest size while he was a newborn, Merlin Magic Sleep Suit around 3 months until he started really rolling over. Then we transitioned to Halo sleep sacks. I think we started with a medium, bought 3 and just constantly rotated them until around a year. Then we bought a set of extra large sleep sacks and used those for almost a year (so skipped the large), and when he finally grew out of those, we had a set custom made in a longer size. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I did the same as @kipperoo

my son loved the Velcro swaddles... the merlin suit was ok... then the larger sleep sacks after about 5 months. He's a little over 1.5 now and wears the walker sleep sack to bed.

• Options
    Diaper pails.

I know a lot of you are going to say they're a waste. I want to try one anyway (stubborn FTM :P). SO, those of you who found them beneficial, which was best? I've read Diaper Genie Essentials was the way to go and for under $20 I figured I have nothing to lose. However, it's now pretty much sold out everywhere.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe we are diaper genie devotees over here. We have the super basic one downstairs and the kind you step on upstairs in his room. They came as a two pack from BRU maybe a year ago? 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited April 2017
    Diaper pails.

I know a lot of you are going to say they're a waste. I want to try one anyway (stubborn FTM :P). SO, those of you who found them beneficial, which was best? I've read Diaper Genie Essentials was the way to go and for under $20 I figured I have nothing to lose. However, it's now pretty much sold out everywhere.
    I have a Diaper Genie and love it! 

I just looked up the Essentials because I wasn't sure which one I had and it is that one. But I think it's pretty much sold or everywhere because my guess is they have discontinued that model and have come out with the newer model!
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe  We really like our Diaper Champ (available at Target & several other locations).  You can use any liner with it. 

https://www.target.com/p/baby-trend-diaper-champ-deluxe/-/A-11389426

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Do I want a diaper pail with a foot petal? Or do I not care?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe - We had the Ubbi pail (because, HELLO?! What aspect of a diaper pail could be more important than having it match the room???), and it held onto diaper stench like you wouldn't believe. We are now walking diapers down the hall to the small bathroom trashcan and emptying it just about daily. I won't tell you have one is a waste, but Ubbi did NOT work for us! 
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe we also used the basic diaper genie one with our first. It worked fine, was just a little loud when closing it if it was more than half full. I've been unable to find refill bags for it (it used the tabbed ones) and from what I've found most stores stopped carrying it. I had some extra gift cards so just ordered an Ubbi pail. It's much pricier up front ($79.99) but you don't have to buy special refill bags, it just uses standard trash bags. A friend is currently using one and swears by it. She also used our old one and says the Ubbi is much quieter and you make your money back real fast in not having to buy special refill. 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Options
    No prior experience, but I went for the Ubbi pails because 1) no special bags needed and 2) I know from lots of dog poop experience that metal contains smell better than plastic. For us, it's not remotely realistic not to have diaper pails. Our driveway is around a quarter mile long and the trash bin is at the end, so we can't just walk outside to dump the smelly ones.
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe we had a cheap Safety First one. It was nice because you could use regular bags. It never smelled, but I do remember putting on extra air freshener in the lid. 
  • Options
    The Ubbi!! It is almost always on sale on Amazon for around $50ish too.  Seriously that pail is awesome.  

It it does smell like death when you open it to change the bag (toddler poop is disgusting) but we normally change it in the garage.  

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Oops, just now catching up. I ended up finding the essentials for $16 with a refill so I ordered it. We may eventually want an upstairs and downstairs option.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Oops, just now catching up. I ended up finding the essentials for $16 with a refill so I ordered it. We may eventually want an upstairs and downstairs option.
    If you have a Costco membership,the refills were on sale this week! A 4 pack for $13! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    We bought 2 Ubbis (one for the nursery and one for downstairs). I'm a FTM but we tested it out the last few days when my nephews were visiting (one is 2 y/o and still in diapers). It definitely covered up the smell for the entire visit so we are very happy! Obviously it didn't smell good when we opened it to take the bag out, but I mean, it was full of poop so what can you expect. I also love that it takes any trash bag!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    FTM Question: Does anyone have two infant car seats that they use or would it be a waste to have two? I'm looking to get another base for our car seat and found a base/car seat combo that is just a few dollars more than the base itself. DH and I both be working and doing drop off/pick up duty for this little one.
  • Options
    BabyMC517BabyMC517 member
    edited April 2017
    @mspacman34 FTM too! We actually got a great deal on a second car seat/base combo so H could have one in his car. It was much cheaper than just the base itself and seemed like a good idea to us so we didn't have to constantly move the car seat itself...first world problems? haha 

ETA: the car seat/base combo we found was $50 on sale compared to just the base being $80-90...just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up! Maybe my parents will end up with the car seat and we'll get another base at some point for them since I think my mom is going to help a lot once I go back to work before having to spend a ton of money on daycare. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    edited April 2017

@mspacman34 if your using an infant bucket seat I think it would be a waste to purchase 2, but getting 2 bases is good

https://smile.amazon.com/Baby-Delight-Snuggle-Surround-Silver/dp/B01476ZJBW/ref=pd_sbs_75_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01476ZJBW&pd_rd_r=EH8ZZ6MSS51H5HMTS957&pd_rd_w=hApO7&pd_rd_wg=KhMjq&refRID=EH8ZZ6MSS51H5HMTS957&th=1

what's everyone's thoughts on this... is this a safe sleeping place if placed in pack n play ? Its a flat surface, has vented sides..

• Options
    FTM Question: Does anyone have two infant car seats that they use or would it be a waste to have two? I'm looking to get another base for our car seat and found a base/car seat combo that is just a few dollars more than the base itself. DH and I both be working and doing drop off/pick up duty for this little one.
    Two bases and one seat worked well for us even with splitting daycare dropoffs and pick ups. Most daycares have a place you can leave car seats for this exact purpose so the seat stays with baby and you don't get stuck.  

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:

@mspacman34 if your using an infant bucket seat I think it would be a waste to purchase 2, but getting 2 bases is good

https://smile.amazon.com/Baby-Delight-Snuggle-Surround-Silver/dp/B01476ZJBW/ref=pd_sbs_75_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01476ZJBW&pd_rd_r=EH8ZZ6MSS51H5HMTS957&pd_rd_w=hApO7&pd_rd_wg=KhMjq&refRID=EH8ZZ6MSS51H5HMTS957&th=1

what's everyone's thoughts on this... is this a safe sleeping place if placed in pack n play ? Its a flat surface, has vented sides..

Honest opinion? No, definitely not.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Only if you can get a killer deal like @BabyMC517. Otherwise I'd just do 2 bases OR we considered getting a convertible for 1 car, decided against though.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    BabyMC517BabyMC517 member
    edited April 2017
    So, I received my SI belt yesterday and tried it out last night. Really helps to relieve some of the pressure I've been having with little guy sitting so low! The only problem I'm having now is I basically only wear dresses to work because I'm so hot (temperature wise ;) and I feel like I need to have some sort of barrier between the belt and my skin to avoid irritation. So, today at work I've been using it while in my office and taking it off when I leave, so far so good! I'm going to either cut and old tank top or buy a cheap one to use underneath my dresses. Pretty sure I'll look ridiculous, but if it helps I don't care! Just wanted to share in case any of you ladies that have been dealing with the same thing plus SPD or other back issues wanted to know what its like. :) 

ETA: just realized I wasn't posting in the randoms...oops! I guess it still sort of applies to baby gear...
    ETA 2: when I take the belt off, the little sucker goes right back to his favorite spot! Oy!

• Options
    I know we've discussed Belly Binders before. Was it here? What was the consensus? Which one should I pick?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    BabyMC517 said:
    So, I received my SI belt yesterday and tried it out last night. Really helps to relieve some of the pressure I've been having with little guy sitting so low! The only problem I'm having now is I basically only wear dresses to work because I'm so hot (temperature wise ;) and I feel like I need to have some sort of barrier between the belt and my skin to avoid irritation. So, today at work I've been using it while in my office and taking it off when I leave, so far so good! I'm going to either cut and old tank top or buy a cheap one to use underneath my dresses. Pretty sure I'll look ridiculous, but if it helps I don't care! Just wanted to share in case any of you ladies that have been dealing with the same thing plus SPD or other back issues wanted to know what its like. :) 

ETA: just realized I wasn't posting in the randoms...oops! I guess it still sort of applies to baby gear...
    ETA 2: when I take the belt off, the little sucker goes right back to his favorite spot! Oy!
    @BabyMC517 remind me if yours was for SPD type pelvis pain or for something else? Either way I'm glad it's helping with support and feeling better! Would you mind describing it haha?  

My doc ordered me one through insurance but when I picked it up I'm questioning whether or not it's the right thing. What they gave me looks like an extra wide, super long and thick ace bandage with Velcro... more how I'd picture a belly binder than support belt. 
  • Options
    @lrwardrop   I agree w/ @nda_roxybabe.  If it's not labeled as a crib, bassinet, or PNP, it's usually not safe.  It also doesn't look like it's very firm.

@mspacman34 I think extra seats would be a waste. Our general rule is that the infant seat stays with the kid, wherever the kid is.  That way, it's always available.  Infant seats can be installed w/o a base, so if there were ever an emergency, someone without a base could pick up my kid w/ their seat.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @livin541 I haven't been diagnosed with SPD, but I have had low back issues for a while and have had PT twice now. I went a the beginning of my pregnancy because the disc slipped, or so I had thought because that's what I had been told before. Anyway, they said that the issue is in my SI joint and that my right hip is weaker than my left. It causes sciatic and general discomfort after certain activities. So, stretching and light exercises is what I've been trying to do, when I have the energy! Anyway, my PT told me to get this one (actually it wasn't maternity, but I think the only difference is the added maternity support part).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NZ0PGQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A37ER15NSIDEVP

I guessed on the size haha its a little big, but adjustable. Plus I figured I'm probably still going to grow over the next 6.5 weeks so that's why I went with the L/XL. 

Hope this helps! :)

• Options
    The belts are super uncomfortable for me when sitting down.  I do use my woven wrap and get a lot of relief from my SPD.

car seats- I would just get an extra base, the car seat always stayed with the kids.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @nda_roxybabe I used this Bellefit girdle and loved it. Plan on using it again this time around. I know there are cheaper and less structured options out there, so it is really up to what kind of support you are looking for. I wanted something that was going to do a ton of work for me. Doubtful it made me shrink any quicker, but it provided TONS of support. 

Edit: I forgot the link. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @BabyMC517 oh my goodness, I'm sorry you've had had to go through all that! Thanks, that totally helps. What you ordered is what I pictured getting, definitely not what the medical supply place gave me. I might just go ahead and order something like that on my own, especially if it's providing some relief. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    @BabyMC517 @lrwardrop @WombThereItIs @nda_roxybabe @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot @chickyclg Thanks for the advice ladies! It makes sense for the car seat to stay with the kid and the one I was looking at on sale for $50 sold out.
  • Options
    Sorry for dragging up this thread again, but how badly do I need a humidifier in the nursery? I see them on sale all the time at BRU and while we live in a drier climate, I've never personally had one in the house. Is this a necessary purchase?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @CherryBananas
    We are on our 3rd humidifier for DD.  That said, we used the first 2 constantly.  When we had to buy a 3rd, we started using it only for when she is sick. Coming from the desert, that seems sufficient for us.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @CherryBananas we only used it for colds when baby was little. That said it's nice to have on hand so you aren't scrambling that first night they are snotty and won't sleep. 

May '17 labor memes