@nda_roxybabe Uppababy Vista

May '17 labor memes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chickyclgchickyclg member
    edited February 2017
    hp_momma said:
    lrwardrop said:
    I love the look of the bassinettes on strollers. However I never got one for mine because I thought it would be a waste of money for the following reasons.... If your child is sleeping in the car seat I wouldn't want to move them into the bassinet into the stroller and risk waking them up. Much easier to click the car seat into your stroller. Also, we often go for long walks around our neighborhood and I wouldn't want to have baby be in the bassinet which doesn't offer much support incase you hit a rock or crack in cement. Lastly, it would only be used for a very short period of time.
    For the exact same reasons she said, we never got a stroller bassinet either. It just seemed like an "extra" for us and we are more about just the necessities. 
    It would definitely be an extra, I'm thinking primarily for family days and outings at like the zoo and we have a this resort/park place close by that is fun in the summer for the kids.

ETA picture of the 2

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    you could look for a used bassinet if your on the fence about it. I have seen those for sale in great condition. Most people try to sell it as a package deal but maybe would just sell you the bassinet.
  • Options
    Making a rare weekend appearance...Any STMs have a bassinet that they love?? I have a big bulky wood one that literally never got used with my son, but I'm thinking we'd like one this go around. Preferably something compact...maybe even with a rock feature? We bought a Rock n Play but put it together and both agreed we'd like to try something with a flat surface for night sleeping.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @Kipperoo We are borrowing a friend's Halo bassinet. We aren't comfortable using an inclined RNP this time around either. I do know that they make a flat RNP that is supposed to be safe and serves as a bassinet. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @Kipperoo I've always used our Pack-n-play in our room for the bassinet! Worked great for a flat surface. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    I totally forgot about the PNP. We will eventually transfer to that too. I'll probably keep the PNP downstairs for naps right away. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot We have always had a single story house with our last two babies so I never needed a downstairs nap option, but this time we live in a three-level house so I totally forgot about probably wanting the PNP downstairs until you just said that... crap. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @hp_momma I probably have 2x as much baby equipment for this reason. I basically have a living room area on each floor. During leave with DD, I liked to transfer between the two to break things up. And I imagine it will be similar now that I'll have a baby and DD to chase around the house. When the kid is a bit older, I also preferred to have a bouncer or exersaucer on each floor. One for mom's shower time and one for when i need to contain the kid while I cook or something. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Thanks, @hp_momma and @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot! I do have a Bjorn travel crib, I was just hoping for something a little higher like a bassinet, but smaller than what we have. The Halo could be a good option. I was hoping to find a cheap, great option but I think that's like looking for a unicorn, haha
  • Options
    Speaking of sleeping places... what do we all think about the SNOO? I already have a crib and RNP (and PNP for travel), so I'm not in the market... but am intrigued nonetheless. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SKZW said:
    Speaking of sleeping places... what do we all think about the SNOO? I already have a crib and RNP (and PNP for travel), so I'm not in the market... but am intrigued nonetheless. Thoughts?
    I had to google this, for $1100 I can pass, especially since it's something that will only get used for 6 months.  

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited February 2017
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Yup, we did x2 everything too because of our two-story home. Convenience was everything!

@starphish18 that's awesome and thoughtful of your dad. Looks like it could end up being a family heirloom too!

@Kipperoo  no suggestions on a cheap, flat bassinet... but I think I need to look more into options as well. We used the crib from the get last time but I keep forgetting about the what ifs... c-section? major reflux? ??

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    I went back and forth between the rnp and the pnp last time. My plan is to do the same this time around. Fisher price has a rnp type thing but it's flat, could be a good option for you.

Fisher-Price Rock 'n Play Portable Bassinet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DDPL32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mUoOybJVZKVQR

I also saw some other flat options on Amazon around $50 if you want something higher up
  • Options
    livin541livin541 member
    edited February 2017
    We were also wanting to try a flat surface this time around, I really wanted the Halo but couldn't justify the price. We have downsized and are living in our rental ATM, so we decided to try this one to save space until we have room for a crib.  They often go on sale at Target, and with a registry completion discount it wasn't too bad. No idea how baby will like it though... 

eta- sorry for the huge picture!
  • Options
    @Kipperoo I couldn't find what we used exactly (things change so fast!), but it was similar to the link below except ours doesn't have an option to rock. I loved that it folded up, and I could store it under my bed when I didn't want to see it. 

https://www.target.com/p/ingenuity-my-baby-folding-bassinet/-/A-51466796
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sorry been MIA for some time. Super busy!

Anyway thought I'd chime in on a few questions here.

@chickyclg We have the UB vista that came with a bassinet.  We used it religiously for the first 4 months.  It was awesome. We bought the jolly jumper stand and used it as a bassinet in the nursery til he was ready for the crib at about 5 months or so.  Also used it in the stroller all the time.  I HIGHLY suggest getting the bassinet kit if a stroller you like is offered with it.  We will def be using it again.

We also have the graco blossom high chair and love it.  It really is the best of both worlds.  We get the ability to have a full highchair and are able to pop of the top and take it with us like a space saver.  There is also a youth chair built into the base as well so we can use the high chair part for the baby on a regular chair and use the stand as a youth chair for our toddler.  It can be used for 2 kids at once basically.  My parents also have the ingenuity 3-1 for their house since that is similar and can be used for 2 kids at once.  I would say its nice but kinda flimsy feeling compared to blossom. 

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @Kipperoo I couldn't find what we used exactly (things change so fast!), but it was similar to the link below except ours doesn't have an option to rock. I loved that it folded up, and I could store it under my bed when I didn't want to see it. 

https://www.target.com/p/ingenuity-my-baby-folding-bassinet/-/A-51466796
    Oh I like this option! @lrwardrop, I think that Fisher Price one looks good, too. Light weight and does the job.
  • Options
    I mentioned already, we're using the stroller bassinet for our room for bedtime until we crib transition. It's been approved for overnight sleep. Going to figure out some sort of stand for it though. As for downstairs naps, I'm going to do a Moses Basket. I joined a safe sleep FB group and...lets just say I'm going to stick to flat surfaces.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    We're going to have a PNP downstairs that I could use for naps, but I was still going to get a RNP as one of my "plop baby down" items because I had heard such great things about them. Has that opinion changed?
  • Options
    @starphish18 I think everyone still raves about them, they're just not considered safe for sleeping. A lot of moms do use them for sleep because baby actually sleeps in them better than other places. I think then the added risk is baby gets used to sleeping inclined like that, making a transition to a crib/ flat surface harder.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @starphish18 My main concern with them is the lack of research done about possibly causing/increasing the risk of flat spots on babies head or even issues with the neck that can lead to having to do physical therapy with baby. 
    None of our pediatricians actually approve of them for a safe sleep surface either. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    DS slept in the RNP until maybe 5 months and probably napped in it a little longer than that. I will DEFINITELY move this baby out sooner to help ease the transition - I don't think we had it as bad as @WombThereItIs, but it was definitely an adjustment for him. Seeing all of these bassinet options makes me want to check at consignment sales this season to see if I can score a good deal though. 

I have heard that they aren't approved for sleep - and I'm sure there is literature available to that affect - but that's always where I told our Ped he was sleeping and she never voiced concern about it. She even said it was a help for babies that struggle with reflux since it has a bit of an incline. Obviously do your own research and make the best decision for you and your baby! 
  • Options
    starphish18starphish18 member
    edited February 2017
    There are so many options regarding "gear" you can get for the baby. RNP, swings, bouncers, etc. Like others have mentioned, I'd like to have one thing for each floor where I can set the baby if I need my hands or can't wear them and they're not napping. I'm thinking bouncer and RNP, but I'm still looking through options. I have read through this thread on more than one occasion, so I'm not asking people to rehash their favs again. But if anyone has opinions about any of these "busy" type items or pros/cons that may not have been mentioned, I'd appreciate the input.

ETA: Also, if any have good longevity (can be used for a good while as baby grows), that'd be helpful to know.
  • Options
    @starphish18 - I'll just throw out my 2 cents about swings. We got a small swing at a shower (https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Deluxe-Take-Along-Swing/dp/B00NFETGLC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487013218&sr=8-1&keywords=fisher+price+take+along+swing+and+seat) and DS really liked it. It ONLY took batteries though, and they wore out super fast. I used it at the BRU trade in event recently, and I will be on the lookout for a larger (PLUG IN) swing at consignment sales this spring. I think the extra bulk and possibly extra money is worth it. 
  • Options
    DD slept in the RNP for a few months too.  It was a lifesaver at the time.  However, between the awful transition to lying flat and the safe sleep concerns, we won't be using it for sleep this time around.  The big concern with the RNP is that it is not flat.  So a baby could lose oxygen due to its position.  There have been deaths associated with the RNP, but they are reported as deaths due to unsafe sleep surfaces and are not broken out by what the surface actually was (bedsharing, RNP, etc.).  Anecdotally, I can say that there was one death in an RNP a few years ago in a FB moms group I am in.  There's also been several studies to suggest that it's actually not helpful for reflux as so many parents and doctors claim.  DD didn't have reflux so I can't speak to that.

As far as places to set the baby down, we had a mamaroo, PNP, RNP, swing, vibrating chair, and playmats.  DD was a velcro baby and refused to be set down in anything if she was awake.  Around 3-4 months, she would tolerate the swing.  She did enjoy the piano floor mat thing a few months in to life as well.  By the time she was old enough for them, she liked the jumparoo and exersaucer.  I'm hoping LO is a little less velcro-ey, but I'd recommend mentally preparing for that possibility, especially during the few 3months or "4th trimester."

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options

FWIW my doctor actually told me to let him sleep in the RNP of it was the only way he would sleep. I didn't plan on using it for sleep at all but with reflux and him being a super bad sleeper the recommendation was very much "whatever works". 

It was the same for me. My son was constantly vomiting from the reflux so he had to sleep in the RNP, although he still didn't sleep....

I am so paranoid about having another baby with sleep issues. My plan is to alternate sleeping places- RNP and PNP  so that he will sleep anywhere. Is this a good idea or should I try to be consistent?

• Options
    I will literally do anything/pay anything to get this baby to be a good sleeper  :D DD is still an awful sleeper at 2.5. We have a Halo Bassinest, RNP, and Babyhome Air Baby Cot. I bought some sort of bouncer on clearance. I will probably not buy a swing. DD HATED hers and it took up a ton of space. 
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    hp_momma said:
    @starphish18 My main concern with them is the lack of research done about possibly causing/increasing the risk of flat spots on babies head or even issues with the neck that can lead to having to do physical therapy with baby. 
    None of our pediatricians actually approve of them for a safe sleep surface either. 
    This is my issue.  We dealt with severe torticollis and plagiocephaly with DS that required a years worth of PT and a helmet to help correct the unevenness of his skull.  Luckily he only has mild vision weakness as a result and we have been able to put glasses off another year. I will do anything to prevent that again.

That being said we were using them for reflux last time and once his 2 month check came around we had to stop using them and up his reflux meds.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    hp_momma said:
    This happened to us. We used the RNP with DD but realized that she couldn't turn her head one way well.  Then we noticed a flat spot forming. We transitioned to the crib at 8 weeks and at her 2 months checkup the pediatrician referred us to a PT. The PT helped ton especially since we did it so early. Because of this we will be using the crib/PnP instead from the start. RnP will still be used for moments like taking a shower or cooking dinner etc. 

• Options
    What is it about the RNP that contributes to flat spots? Is this a concern with any inclined surface. If so, why?
  • Options
    hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited February 2017
    Flat spots are mainly associated with not enough tummy time really. So if baby is constantly in car seat, swing, rocker, etc then they are constantly on their back which can cause flat spots. Tummy time is so important! 
    But there has been some concern with the RNP actually increasing this and the neck muscle weakness. 

Edit: I just want to also mention that flat spots aren't ALWAYS caused by parents who don't do tummy time so I hope I didn't offend anyone who's child has had a helmet or flat spots. They can totally just happen by baby favoring one side when they sleep even in a flat surface crib. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    What is it about the RNP that contributes to flat spots? Is this a concern with any inclined surface. If so, why?
    The problem is the incline.  Before babies have head and neck control, they have to fight gravity in order to keep their head straight up.  Extended use (like over night) can be a problem, if a baby's head starts to drift/tilt a little to one side it can make the tendons and muscles tight, which will cause them to tilt even when not on an incline.

The "flat" issues associated with that are then caused by a baby to constantly looking to one side and developing preferences.

@starphish18

ETA: yes tummy time can help prevent flat spots but if a child has torticollis that is a whole other ball game which is normally the case for plagiocephaly.  Brachycephaly is the condition that is generally thought of with kiddos and lack of tummy time.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    @chickyclg Thank you for commenting regarding the torticollis. I knew there was concern with that regarding the RNP but I know very little about it so I didn't want to speculate! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14