June 2016 Moms

Bring your venting here!

Re: Bring your venting here!

• @art+lea2013
    Thank you for sharing this article! It put into words exactly how I feel and my frustrations with my husband.  And I often remind myself how he actually does do a lot as far as household chores, but I'm the one that tracks appointments, plans meals, keeps the grocery list, sets the reminders for bill paying, etc. And when we do fight about household work it's either because I don't feel like I should have to ask him when I need help with cleaning or it's because he thinks one task takes me too long (as it usually leads to another thing and another thing as I tidy my way through the house). I know I'm lucky that he works hard so that we can afford for me to stay home with the kids, but I think sometimes he doesn't see all the work I do around the house.
  • @art+lea2013 That reminds me that Tuesday evening, after getting home from work, my husband cleaned up the kitchen (very much needed). It was so nice that he did that and did so without me having to ask for help. I was super grateful and told him as much. Turned out the only reason he did that was because he was angry with me and wanted to keep busy so he didn't have to talk to me but didn't want to isolate himself because he wanted to be in the same area as Damien so he didn't miss out on anything. 

He was mad because he felt like I didn't spend enough time listening to him repeat the same complaint about his work evaluation that he's been saying the past 3 days. No new information, just literally repeating what he's said before. I'm sorry, I have a million things running through my brain, I don't have the time/energy to be a broken record at the moment. I also know that we'll have the same career discussion AGAIN after Damien goes to bed, so it's not like we were never going to talk about it. Anyway, he took it as me not caring and was offended, which I understand. He did get shafted with his eval since the initial one the company did was very good and then they changed the results to "so-so" simply because too many people in the dept had the same score as him and they couldn't justify paying everyone the raise rate they were owed as a result of their evals. So I totally get why he's frustrated, I am too! I've told him as such during our hours long conversations about it and work in general. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @art+lea2013 thanks for sharing! So true about the mental load!

Another twist to this situation is a lot of husbands do share in the work load, but their focus is on "guy stuff" like house repairs, outside maintenance, etc. That's nice and all, but none of those things have the same urgency as the stuff that has to get done each day, like laundry and dishes. I'm just saying, if we don't clean up the kitchen at night or wash LO's clothes and bottles, we can't function. But if he postpones mowing the lawn, nothing blows up.
  • Went home from the office at lunch today to drop off some groceries I needed for baking cookies (side note, I forgot eggs, damn) and see if DH's birthday present had arrived. Walked inside to find a small gift on my counter with a card addressed to DH. That means that FIL once again came into my house without my knowing to drop something off. He did it last month too whenever it was my birthday. I know they're family, buuuuutttt it still weirds me out coming home and knowing that someone was here while I was gone that I didn't know was coming. Problem is, last time he did it, DH knew about it, just didn't tell me because he didn't think it was a big deal. Ok, so DH probably knows about this one too, but seriously, give me a heads up! I do most of the chores around there and while it might not bother him knowing his parents are coming over and there are toys/dishes/laundry everywhere, it bothers me. I could have had bras, or naughty birthday gifts, or the Pre-Seed sitting out or something. Think, man

Then, I went outside to water the garden because I forgot to do it last night. There was grass all over the garden. The hose was still in the same place in the lawn, but I looked around and there was loose grass all against the foundation of the house. I can only assume FIL came over with the present, and then edged our lawn, down to the dirt. What the fuck? Why? Whyyyyyyyyyyy? And now I can't yell at anyone because FIL was just doing two good deeds and probably told DH about both, and it's DH's birthday. I guess I get to just be confused and a little creeped out alone.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Went home from the office at lunch today to drop off some groceries I needed for baking cookies (side note, I forgot eggs, damn) and see if DH's birthday present had arrived. Walked inside to find a small gift on my counter with a card addressed to DH. That means that FIL once again came into my house without my knowing to drop something off. He did it last month too whenever it was my birthday. I know they're family, buuuuutttt it still weirds me out coming home and knowing that someone was here while I was gone that I didn't know was coming. Problem is, last time he did it, DH knew about it, just didn't tell me because he didn't think it was a big deal. Ok, so DH probably knows about this one too, but seriously, give me a heads up! I do most of the chores around there and while it might not bother him knowing his parents are coming over and there are toys/dishes/laundry everywhere, it bothers me. I could have had bras, or naughty birthday gifts, or the Pre-Seed sitting out or something. Think, man

Then, I went outside to water the garden because I forgot to do it last night. There was grass all over the garden. The hose was still in the same place in the lawn, but I looked around and there was loose grass all against the foundation of the house. I can only assume FIL came over with the present, and then edged our lawn, down to the dirt. What the fuck? Why? Whyyyyyyyyyyy? And now I can't yell at anyone because FIL was just doing two good deeds and probably told DH about both, and it's DH's birthday. I guess I get to just be confused and a little creeped out alone.
    Well no getting frisky on the couch for you all I guess?! Yeah, that would really really bother me. I don't really like people coming into my house unless I'm prepared for it.

Why does he have a key?  LOL. Unless you live in my house you ain't gettin no key! :p
  • That would really frustrate me too @art+lea2013. My parents have a key to our house but have stopped by unannounced once in 3+ years and called me right before they went in.

Some people seriously lack boundaries!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Warning, TMI post but i don't care, its a vent after all.  
    So after Preston went to bed I had expressed how tired I was (it's been a busy and long day) and I said I was gonna get a few things done then try and head to bed early.  So I switched laundry and started emptying the dishwasher when my tummy felt funny.  Gas pains, ouch, I was powering through it cause the clock waits for no one and I really needed to get this stuff done.  DH is in the other room and hears me breathing heavily cause it's really hurting now.  "You ok?". "no I'm in a lot of pain, it's gas"...*silence* (zero sympathy) then the pain gets worse and I feel like it's time to go to the bathroom.  After a few minutes DH walks in and says I'll finish the dishes, go walk around and go to the bathroom" "thanks so much babe". So I run and literally pee out my butt.  It hurt so bad and it was a lot.  Sucked so bad.  But it was over in about 5-10 min so I take a deep breath and walk out thinking "well at least he finished the dishes for me so all I have left is to fold the towels". I look and the dirty dishes are still there (he just finished putting the clean ones away of which there were only a few glasses left anyway) and DH is sitting on the couch on his new tablet.  "You ok?" "No, that sucked, I got pretty sick in there" "I know, I heard how bad it was"  first of all, why the hell were you listening to me poop and second,  you heard it all and still decided to not finish the dishes like you said?  Ugh.  Well it gets better, turns out he only put the dishes from the dishwasher away, not the hand washed stuff next to the sink.  So, I start putting that away and I call him in to out something on a high shelf for me. He does, careful not to break a sweat, kid, and then he just stands in the middle of the kitchen on his tablet while I'm running around washing dishes, putting things away and folding towels.  Like, if you're gonna no nothing, do nothing somewhere else.  It drives me crazy when I'm running around like a mad woman trying to get things done so I can make a cup of tea and relax before bed and he just stands there.    Ugh..

Wow that was a long vent....
  • @adiaz132003 sorry you don't feel well!!! Men are seriously clueless sometimes. As for the tablet, my husband is lucky his hasn't had to be surgically removed from his rectum as much as he is on it, if he wasn't a web developer I would have broke the damn thing ages ago! Hope you feel better soon!
  • @adiaz132003 sounds like you need to slip him that article I mentioned yesterday. He can read it on his tablet. Men need so much constant direction and it's exhausting. Making a vow now to try not to do this to Miles. Men aren't born this way, it's bred, unfortunately
  • @adiaz132003 sounds like you need to slip him that article I mentioned yesterday. He can read it on his tablet. Men need so much constant direction and it's exhausting. Making a vow now to try not to do this to Miles. Men aren't born this way, it's bred, unfortunately
     Nice this about me being home with him all day is I can teach him that certain things need to be done and it doesn't matter who does it, it just gets done.  Yes, he'll see me doing most of it but I'm hoping he'll learn to just pitch in without asking even if it's little things like putting his toys away.  I'm also gonna make sure DH asks him to do chores I the future so that it's not "mom makes me do chores"
  • edited July 2017
    Several weeks ago, my husband asked me if he should tell his parents borrow a play yard for Damien to use during our visit. I asked if it would be the same play yard they used the last time I visited and he said yes. That thing was so old and worn, plus bottom piece was hard as a rock too. The people that used it are smokers too, so it reeked of smoke. Damien was super uncomfortable in it and slept terribly. I told my husband to tell them not to sweat it since we'd just bring our baby bjorn travel crib (so awesome; light weight, easy to set up, and the mattress is comfy). Last night he informed me that they borrowed the play yard for Damien to use. I told him, again, that Damien can't use that since he sleeps so badly and that we should just bring our travel crib. He huffed over it for a good 5mins because, "It's going to take up space in the car!" Well then, tell your parents to not assume crappy furniture would be okay for Damien. I swear I'm not a snob; I don't care if an item is brand new, hand-me-down, borrowed, whatever as long as it is in okay condition! I think it's also hard for me not to compare with my parents, who actually bought the exact crib and mattress that Damien currently uses so that he can sleep in something familiar when we visit. I definitely don't expect my in laws to do that, but it bothers me that they think that awful play yard is acceptable. I'm not knocking play yards in general, they're great! Damien slept in one in our bedroom for the first few months and it was just fine. This is of course the same in laws that tried to set Damien up with just a bunch of pillows on the floor...that was after I vehemently refused to let him sleep by himself on a futon (at 5 months old) where he could roll onto the concrete floor, all of which they thought was perfectly fine for him. Anyway, I'm just annoyed and annoyed that my husband is giving me grief over wanting to make sure Damien is comfortable. 

I also wonder if he just doesn't understand yet, after a year, that if Damien doesn't sleep well, that means I don't sleep well because guess who is the one that gets up during the night to sooth him? Me. 
  • Several weeks ago, my husband asked me if he should tell his parents borrow a play yard for Damien to use during our visit. I asked if it would be the same play yard they used the last time I visited and he said yes. That thing was so old and worn, plus bottom piece was hard as a rock too. The people that used it are smokers too, so it reeked of smoke. Damien was super uncomfortable in it and slept terribly. I told my husband to tell them not to sweat it since we'd just bring our baby bjorn travel crib (so awesome; light weight, easy to set up, and the mattress is comfy). Last night he informed me that they borrowed the play yard for Damien to use. I told him, again, that Damien can't use that since he sleeps so badly and that we should just bring our travel crib. He huffed over it for a good 5mins because, "It's going to take up space in the car!" Well then, tell your parents to not assume crappy furniture would be okay for Damien. I swear I'm not a snob; I don't care if an item is brand new, hand-me-down, borrowed, whatever as long as it is in okay condition! I think it's also hard for me not to compare with my parents, who actually bought the exact crib and mattress that Damien currently uses so that he can sleep in something familiar when we visit. I definitely don't expect my in laws to do that, but it bothers me that they think that awful play yard is acceptable. I'm not knocking play yards in general, they're great! Damien slept in one in our bedroom for the first few months and it was just fine. This is of course the same in laws that tried to set Damien up with just a bunch of pillows on the floor...that was after I vehemently refused to let him sleep by himself on a futon (at 5 months old) where he could roll onto the concrete floor, all of which they thought was perfectly fine for him. Anyway, I'm just annoyed and annoyed that my husband is giving me grief over wanting to make sure Damien is comfortable. 

I also wonder if he just doesn't understand yet, after a year, that if Damien doesn't sleep well, that means I don't sleep well because guess who is the one that gets up during the night to sooth him? Me. 
    Visiting people is so hard! Nadia won't sleep well in travel cribs either, especially if it's not one she's used to. Hang in there! It's our job as parents to stick up for what's best for our kids, no matter who gets their feelings hurt. It will go on for your kids whole life. You're doing the right thing. Dh and he in laws will have to get over it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited July 2017
    @AmberLiz99 Thanks for the support!  :) The past 24hrs have beeen interesting to say the least. My FiL says and does a lot of things that have us wondering if we are seeing the onset of dementia. Unfortunately that means we are also seeing more instances of Damien being at risk of injury while with my FiL. Today, we asked him not to put Damien in the kiddie pool until my husband was in it with him. He didn't listen and put him in, while holding onto him. We then said, "Okay but do NOT let go of him and if he starts to squirm, pull him out." He immediately let go of him, then turned away to start a conversation with my MiL. Damien tried to crawl forward and went face first into the water. The whole time I was shouting for my FiL to grab him as I was on the deck cleaning up lunch but was also keeping an eye on both of them. He grabbed Damien before he went completely under and he was okay but we all were just dumbfounded because we literally just told him seconds before to not let go of him. I caught him letting Damien crawl on an old glass table on the deck, one that is easily toppled, and wasn't holding onto him either, so I quickly snatched him up. So it has me extra newvous about leaving Damien with them later in the week while my husband and I go to dinner. 

• @AmberLiz99 Thanks for the support!  :) The past 24hrs have beeen interesting to say the least. My FiL says and does a lot of things that have us wondering if we are seeing the onset of dementia. Unfortunately that means we are also seeing more instances of Damien being at risk of injury while with my FiL. Today, we asked him not to put Damien in the kiddie pool until my husband was in it with him. He didn't listen and put him in, while holding onto him. We then said, "Okay but do NOT let go of him and if he starts to squirm, pull him out." He immediately let go of him, then turned away to start a conversation with my MiL. Damien tried to crawl forward and went face first into the water. The whole time I was shouting for my FiL to grab him as I was on the deck cleaning up lunch but was also keeping an eye on both of them. He grabbed Damien before he went completely under and he was okay but we all were just dumbfounded because we literally just told him seconds before to not let go of him. I caught him letting Damien crawl on an old glass table on the deck, one that is easily toppled, and wasn't holding onto him either, so I quickly snatched him up. So it has me extra newvous about leaving Damien with them later in the week while my husband and I go to dinner. 

I hate that feeling! I understand, both of my daughters have been burned on things at my in-laws. It's like pay attention people!
  • I was super sweaty when I sat down to pump all week last week so on Friday I rinsed my pumping bra and laid it to dry in my locker all weekend. I came in today to find a giant dead cockroach on the floor and a mildewy damp pumping bra. I'm going to pop it in the freezer to attempt to freeze dry it for this afternoon, but my hopes are not high and now I'll smell like mildew the rest of the day. :(
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    I was super sweaty when I sat down to pump all week last week so on Friday I rinsed my pumping bra and laid it to dry in my locker all weekend. I came in today to find a giant dead cockroach on the floor and a mildewy damp pumping bra. I'm going to pop it in the freezer to attempt to freeze dry it for this afternoon, but my hopes are not high and now I'll smell like mildew the rest of the day. :(
    Gross, good luck. Not the exact reason why I keep body spray at my desk, but if you have some, couldn't hurt
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited July 2017
    meggyme said:
    I was super sweaty when I sat down to pump all week last week so on Friday I rinsed my pumping bra and laid it to dry in my locker all weekend. I came in today to find a giant dead cockroach on the floor and a mildewy damp pumping bra. I'm going to pop it in the freezer to attempt to freeze dry it for this afternoon, but my hopes are not high and now I'll smell like mildew the rest of the day. :(
    Gross, good luck. Not the exact reason why I keep body spray at my desk, but if you have some, couldn't hurt
    meggyme said:
    I sprayed it with the spray deodorant I keep in there too. It's all I've got. I'm going to bring it home tonight and wash it, but watch me forget it at home tomorrow...

UPDATE: My frozen bra was still musty, but quite refreshing after working outside in the heat.
  • DH just tells me he needs to go to the doctor because he feels lightheaded. So I ask if he means in general or right this second. His response? Just right now.

Dude, you need to drink more water. You do not need a doctor.

Where is the eyeroll emoji when you need it??
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • DH just tells me he needs to go to the doctor because he feels lightheaded. So I ask if he means in general or right this second. His response? Just right now.

Haha! Men...

Haha. To quote the hangover...BUT DID YOU DIE?  

Haha. To quote the hangover...BUT DID YOU DIE?  

HAHAHAHAHA OMG YES!!!! I'm sitting here with a major headache and feeling like general crap, still rocking the mom thing.  DH skips a cup of coffee and he's "too tired to function" Drama queens.

I'm mildly impressed he thought to get himself to the doctor. Normally I would expect a man to just fall on the nearest soft surface and refuse to move or function while complaining loudly. Did he want you to call the doctor for him?
    True, at least he thought to take care of himself. What annoys me though is that I'm a nurse and I swear to god he forgets that. 

I told him to let me make all of of his decisions for 1 week and see how much better he feels, he won't do it of course.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • A recruiter contacted me with the PERFECT job. 4-8pm Monday-thursday. Working in a university library, $27/hr. Same work I've done before, I have years of experience and I was good at it. The recruiter thought I was the ideal candidate and made it sound like the job was practically mine, but when she contacted the hiring manager they said my experience was "too old" because I've been of work for one year after having a baby. Apparently having kids in my area means all of your job experience is worthless. I know I'll get over it, but I'm pretty crushed 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • A recruiter contacted me with the PERFECT job. 4-8pm Monday-thursday. Working in a university library, $27/hr. Same work I've done before, I have years of experience and I was good at it. The recruiter thought I was the ideal candidate and made it sound like the job was practically mine, but when she contacted the hiring manager they said my experience was "too old" because I've been of work for one year after having a baby. Apparently having kids in my area means all of your job experience is worthless. I know I'll get over it, but I'm pretty crushed 
    That's is so frustrating! They wouldn't even interview you?! Can the recruiter ask for an interview? Ugh! I'm angry for you. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. A year out of the workforce isn't even that long!
    That sucks I'm so sorry. I'm not sure how the law works in the US but in the UK it's illegal (discrimination act), sending love 
  • AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited July 2017
    The recruiter did ask for an interview, but they refused. She was pretty flabbergasted herself

my husband heard today that someone at work wants to train him to take over the higher level position of someone who is retiring in two years. So that's great news, but it makes me feel even worse that I can't get any job. I guess that's my FFFC a day early 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The recruiter did ask for an interview, but they refused. She was pretty flabbergasted herself

my husband heard today that someone at work wants to train him to take over the higher level position of someone who is retiring in two years. So that's great news, but it makes me feel even worse that I can't get any job. I guess that's my FFFC a day early 
    Can you refute them and say that they are discriminating against you, as a mom, for not interviewing you?
  • Tawny87 said:
    The recruiter did ask for an interview, but they refused. She was pretty flabbergasted herself

Can you refute them and say that they are discriminating against you, as a mom, for not interviewing you?
    I don't think that parental status is covered under EEO laws. Pregnancy and marital status are, but not once you're a parent. And even then, I think it just means they can't ask you about it.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that @AmberLiz99. :(
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • meggyme said:
    Tawny87 said:

I don't think that parental status is covered under EEO laws. Pregnancy and marital status are, but not once you're a parent. And even then, I think it just means they can't ask you about it.
    It's not covered. You really can't claim anything for that, they can choose who they want. Even if it was one of the "protected" statuses, it would be pretty impossible to prove as an outside applicant, as they could just state my qualifications don't meet their requirements. I'm just venting here because I'm so disappointed. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • meggyme said:
    Tawny87 said:

It's not covered. You really can't claim anything for that, they can choose who they want. Even if it was one of the "protected" statuses, it would be pretty impossible to prove as an outside applicant, as they could just state my qualifications don't meet their requirements. I'm just venting here because I'm so disappointed. 
    We're disappointed for you. That blows  :s
  • meggyme said:
    Tawny87 said:

We're disappointed for you. That blows  :s
    Agreed! I would have been so bummed.
  • Thanks everyone for the support! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm late jumping in! @AmberLiz99 that is so infuriating and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Job hunting is the absolute pits!
  • Just having a woe is me kind of day. Have been having debt collector's harassing us over an unlawful debt. We are looking at legal action, but I'm not sure if that will be more stressful and that it is better to let the multinalional Corp win again and to take our lumps and pay a false debt in order to keep my husband's credit clean and avoid legal action. I pretty much have my middle finger pointed at most humans today, or at least the ones that owe us money.
  • Why do you have to have a period over your birthday?! Why?! 
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    edited August 2017
    Tawny87 said:
    Why do you have to have a period over your birthday?! Why?! 
    Yuck! At least it's an excuse to eat whatever you want and get out of sex? ;);) But very sucky nonetheless.

Hapoy Birthday!!!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Tawny87 said:
    Why do you have to have a period over your birthday?! Why?! 
    Yuck! At least it's an excuse to eat whatever you want and get out of sex? ;);) But very sucky nonetheless.

Hapoy Birthday!!!!
    Bahahahaha! Truth! Thank you!