June 2016 Moms
Options

Colace or Miralax??

Ok ladies, for one of the, oh so delightful - issues with pregnancy...
Is one better than the other? My doctor said I could take either one...
:\">

Re: Colace or Miralax??

• Options
    I prefer the miralax, it costs more but imo more effective, I had to use it my entire first trimester with my daughter. This time around I'm having the opposite problem #thejoys I did the colace post partum and it still took like 3 days to kick in
  • Options
    I'm inly at week 4, first time around, so I have to clue about anything haha. That being said,I was getting really bad constipation at the beginning of the week. For other reasons, I made chicken soup and didn't even think about the fact I put no carbs. It's all I've been eating. Chicken soup - just broth, chicken and vegetables (a whole medley of them) and since yesterday the constipation is gone!
    Maybe on top of the meds try up the veggie intake?
    Just a suggestion.
      Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer the miralax, it costs more but imo more effective, I had to use it my entire first trimester with my daughter. This time around I'm having the opposite problem #thejoys I did the colace post partum and it still took like 3 days to kick in
    Thanks! How often do you take it? 
  • Options
    I'm inly at week 4, first time around, so I have to clue about anything haha. That being said,I was getting really bad constipation at the beginning of the week. For other reasons, I made chicken soup and didn't even think about the fact I put no carbs. It's all I've been eating. Chicken soup - just broth, chicken and vegetables (a whole medley of them) and since yesterday the constipation is gone! Maybe on top of the meds try up the veggie intake? Just a suggestion.
    Lol no worries...I'm a first timer too ;) well that just sounds so yummy, I might have to make it just for the heck of it now lol
    Thanks!
  • Options

I did miralax once a day (I think that's the recommended dosage anyway) mixed in my water in the morning. I also agree with upping the veggie intake, drink plenty of water cut back on caffeine AND bananas and try to exercise a little, my nutritionist recommended this to me last Friday, since then I've made a few changes and they've helped
  • Options
    I did miralax once a day (I think that's the recommended dosage anyway) mixed in my water in the morning. I also agree with upping the veggie intake, drink plenty of water cut back on caffeine AND bananas and try to exercise a little, my nutritionist recommended this to me last Friday, since then I've made a few changes and they've helped
    Great! Thanks a bunch!
  • Options

I'm inly at week 4, first time around, so I have to clue about anything haha. That being said,I was getting really bad constipation at the beginning of the week. For other reasons, I made chicken soup and didn't even think about the fact I put no carbs. It's all I've been eating. Chicken soup - just broth, chicken and vegetables (a whole medley of them) and since yesterday the constipation is gone!
    Maybe on top of the meds try up the veggie intake?
    Just a suggestion.

Lol no worries...I'm a first timer too ;) well that just sounds so yummy, I might have to make it just for the heck of it now lol
    Thanks!

I did the usual carrots, onion, celery and garlic, and then added zucchini, and broccoli and cauliflower, and mushrooms and kale and peas. Plus the chicken obviously and seasoning.
    Then when serving I add a squeeze of lime and a wedge of sliced avocado. It's amazing how well it worked!
    Like I said I wasn't trying to avoid carbs or anything - trust me I'm not the diet kind of person - I just forgot to add noodles or rice. And then kept eating all week.
      Anniversary

• Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    edited October 2015
    I went with the colace on a pharmacist's recommendation (around week 4) and am very pleased with the results.  Nothing sudden or startling, just fixed the problem.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    The search function has a ton of good information on both of these medications. If you type in constipation there is also some other information in the search function that might be of use to you.
  • Options
    Colace is a stool softener so it makes it easier and less painful to go, Miralax is a laxative which actually adds water to your colon and makes you go if you haven't in a while.

Colace- better if you have hemorrhoids or hard, painful stool.

Miralax- better if your constipated.

If it's really bad you can take them together.

Nurse here! :-h
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I wanted to weigh in on this. I bought some Miralax yesterday because I hadn't had a proper poop in a week. And my toots were...stinky. I'm extremely happy with the results, as are my husband and daughter.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Colace is a stool softener so it makes it easier and less painful to go, Miralax is a laxative which actually adds water to your colon and makes you go if you haven't in a while. Colace- better if you have hemorrhoids or hard, painful stool. Miralax- better if your constipated. If it's really bad you can take them together. Nurse here! :-h
    Thanks! Lol, as I was reading, I thought to myself, well what if I have both!? thanks for answering that ;)