August 2016 Moms
Options

Randoms 7/25

This is the last randoms thread before our birth month ladies! 

Re: Randoms 7/25

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Lydiadiane

I agree less of an insertion and more of a tickle around the "area". 

Haha
  • Options
    lol although strange the GBS test is really not that bad. More awkward then anything else. I grew up with a female OB/GYN but my current practice rotates the OB's. Of course I get a male OB on the week of my GBS, with DH in the room with me. haha. 
  • Options
    Katm89Katm89 member
    Ugh so I found out I don't acquire vacation time/ personal time while on fmla... so I can't use my years allowance of vacation during fmla ugh... so I am 37 weeks now... if I go into labor this week... I will only get paid for 7 weeks of 12 of my leave... if I can wait til aug 2nd I will get paid for 4 more days... STAY IN BABY!
  • Options
    @katm89  Will they give you the time accrued while you're on leave back when you return to work?  I was able to work it where I got my time back after I started working and I was only working part time... Not the greatest solution but it might help?
  • Options
    Katm89Katm89 member
    @Texasmama2014 I talked to HR and she said that the personal time kind of disappears...but every month after I'm back i will start gaining my 1 day of vacation... so I didn't realize that I get 3 weeks of vacation... 2 weeks up front and then 1 more day on the first for 5 months... so August 2nd I get bumped up for personal time and vacation which will give me a full 2 weeks of pay from vacation/ personal time... which would make paying my health insurance bill easier to save for and calculate.. once I go unpaid I need to pay my insurance portion at the end of the month... if I am paid for 8 out of 12 weeks... it makes calculating how much I owe very simple... if I'm short 2 days of pay... it just makes it confusing lol
  • Options
    Congrats @Stephanie7693!! :-)
  • Options
    @jamiesc58 I had my GBS last week and they didn't swab the butt too. I had myself mentally prepared and everything but nope. Also she like went up in there when I was only expecting a swab around the area. It's so strange to me that doctors have so many different ways to do the same tests. 
  • Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make my Ubbi diaper pail cloth friendly? It sounds obnoxious to put a plastic liner in there and dump it out again. (also - no reason to add a plastic empty but smelly trash bag to a landfill for no reason) I tried a large size wet bag, and it won't let the lid close... I really want the smell contained, so I don't want to put diapers in the hamper...

• Options
    Katm89Katm89 member
    @Allisun85I think most people put their cloth diapers in a wet bucket near their wash while theyre waiting to wash them... I don't think I would put them in a hamper or a diaper pail
  • Options
    Nikkoli98Nikkoli98 member
    edited July 2016
    I think wet buckets are a thing of the past.

ETA:  @Allisun85, this is the one I ordered, it just arrived today, I will let you know how it works with the large Planet Wise liners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005V6C8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    @Nikkoli98  They are my favorite!  I went through 2 of them with DD.
  • Options
    @Nikkoli98

I am so glad I registered for one! I thought it would be nice to have just to toss in my purse if I'm going to be out and about and don't want to lug the big bag around. So glad to hear you love it!!
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    @Allisun85 We have cloth diapered DS1 from the beginning. That said, I had to Google the Ubbi pail because we actually just use a regular kitchen trash can (with a pedal/lid) instead of an actual diaper pail. Anyway, rather than a wet bag, I would suggest using a Planetwise pail liner for your Ubbi pail. This is the one we use:

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Reusable-Diaper-Avocado/dp/B003XSEV2O

From watching the Ubbi video on Amazon, it seems like this should work! We have two of them so that we have a clean one if one is in the laundry. When we wash, we just dump the whole pail liner into the washer and throw the pail liner in there too. No touching diapers! Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We got the Ubbi for free - I had planned on rinsing the diapers with our diaper sprayer (and/ or using flushable liners), then tossing them right in the washer, or worst case into the large wet bag if the washer was full. We have a second floor laundry, right next to his nursery, so I figured that wouldn't be hard, and then I can just hit "go" every night. But we ended up with this crazy expensive pail, and I bought way more than one day's worth of diapers because ... well... you know. They are freaking cute.

@tisunge602 Thanks! That looks like it will work... I tried something more like

https://www.amazon.com/Large-Hanging-Cloth-Diapers-Laundry/dp/B00PBI7SJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1469476597&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=large+wet+bag&psc=1

and the lined fabric was too thick, and the strap got in the way. I thought of maybe one of those mesh laundry bags like when we were in college, but I was worried the inside of the pail would get gross... because mesh.

• Options
    @Allisun85 Yeah, that's what I figured you meant. The wetbags are more bulky on the top than a pail liner. The pail liner is just a layer of PUL with elastic around the top -- they work great. I never used any of the large wetbags -- we just have two small ones for the diaper bag for when we're out and about. Never needed anything besides those in 2.5 years of CDing (DS1 is potty trained now so the diapers are (temporarily) packed away!). 

You probably know this already, but you don't need to spray off EBF poop because it's water soluble (unless you're going to FF -- in which case, spray away!).

I think your laundry plan sounds good for the beginning when you are going through 15-20 diapers a day. But after a couple months, you'll be going through less, and you really won't need to wash every day. Once we were past the NB stage I washed about every 1.5 to 2 days. :)

• Options
    @Hannah0726 Those PNPs are crazy complicated to put together! I remember before DS1 was born, DH and I couldn't believe that the PNP took us longer than the actual crib. Haha. :)

• Options
    @Allisun85 I'm in the same boat as @tisunge602 we just used a pail liner inside a kitchen trash can with a lid. We had 2 so there was always a clean one ready to go. Come wash day, dump diapers, throw pail liner in machine too and go. No touching gross diapers and you have something to carry clean diapers in when done ;-)  
    Good luck!! I think we should start a cloth thread once everyone gets their littles all settled in. :-) 
  • Options
    @Allisun85 - definitely try a planet wise pail liner. 

@tisunge602 - did you start cloth in the hospital or did you wait until you were home? Also, was it hard in the early stages?  We have two weddings over Labor Day weekend and I'm not sure how difficult it will be to travel with a newborn in cloth.  We didn't start until dd1 was 6 months old so I missed the early stages.  
  • Options
    @Sekerambo We started at home once his circumcision was healed (about a week old). We found the best system as a newborn was prefolds with covers (we used GMD prefolds and Thirsties covers). It worked great!

But for traveling we use disposables, unless we happen to be staying with family or somewhere we can do laundry. Hope that helps!

• Options
    @Allisun85 that is such awesome news!!!! So happy to hear that!! 

• Options
    My cloth diaper experience - I just used a wet bag hanging on a hook by the changing pad with our first.  We had a couple, and would just rotate through.  Honesty you wash them so frequently that I need really had an issue with smell.  We started using cloth diapers at about 2 or 3 weeks, once everything was healed.  We just had one type - the bum genius freestyle, and were able to use them until we eventually transitioned into pull-ups.  Once he started solids we added a flushable liner each time, which made that part easy.  If we were traveling just overnight, we kept using our cloth.  If we were traveling for longer lengths of time, we used disposables.  We were at two different daycares during that time, one used our cloth and the other didn't.  

We plan on using them again this time, will be nice to save that money!

My advice to FTM using cloth - don't overthink it, you'll figure out what works best. 
  • Options
    @Allisun85 That is great news! I can't even imagine what a relief that must be. 
  • Options
    Those of you with busy work schedules, what are you doing about meetings?  Typically I have 5 or 6 client meetings a week out of my office, and even though I've been trying to not schedule any the last few weeks, many are unavoidable.  Part of me feels like if I'm working, and these meetings are a part of my job, I need to make it work.  The other part of me is getting very nervous about all the running around that I do (not to mention how difficult that is at this point)....  I'm really bad at telling people no.

For example, tomorrow morning we have a new project interview 45 mins away.  I was not scheduled to go bc I said it was too close to my due date (38w today), but my boss called me today and asked that I go since I'm still around.  So now I'm doing that first thing tomorrow....  I'm actually worried about going into labor while in one of these important meetings.  As awkward as it would be to go into labor at work, I think it would be way worse when with clients (or potential clients) at their office!

My first came almost a week early and my doctor keeps implying she thinks I'll go early with this one as well, so that doesn't help!

• Options
    I think this kid is moving in the opposite direction. He's been hanging out pretty low but the past few days he is way up in my ribs. He's putting a ton of pressure on my stomach so I eat a tiny bit and feel super full. 
  • Options
    I started watching Downton Abby from the beginning again since I never got to finish it. I'm hooked all over again.
    Genius! 
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• Options
    Tonight is Night #2 of DD (3.5 years old) sleeping in her own room in her own bed. Tonight she laid right down and stayed in bed.
    Hubby and I had talked about doing the switch before baby came but never did till now. She was being a brat last night so I spontaneously made the decision to put her in her own bed and see how it went. She is definitely handling it better than expected and this momma is missing her snuggles. 
  • Options
    @KMeredith82 I would straight up say that your OB doesn't want you traveling far based on your last appointment. 
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• Options
    @KMeredith82 to me 45 min isn't too far (I worked an hour away from my hospital when DS was born and I've been traveling up to an hour away still with no second thought). Unless you have a history of very fast deliveries then id say go and just have your own transportation or a plan if you do go into labor while you're at these meetings. 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @cal031686 can I say you're a saint for making it 3.5 years of your DD not sleeping in her own bed?! We put DD in her crib in her own room around 6 months old(she's 1.5 now, almost 2) and we never looked back! She still ends up in our bed by around 4am but I need those hours in between for my sanity.