December 2016 Moms
Options

UO- 6/2

Re: UO- 6/2

• Options
    I'm in the my-husband-has-a-penis-and-can-make-the-decision camp as well. And @phoenix870509 I just automatically assume that any child of mine will need therapy for various reasons ;) I'm a counselor, so I figure I'm just giving back to the field.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Options
    @temmetime I don't understand the whole spanking thing. It just doesn't make sense to me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LinziLoo09 I told DH I was going to use one of my kid's middle names when they did something good, and another kid I would only use their middle name when they pissed me off. Then find out later on in their lives which one likes their middle name. He thought that was too cruel, haha!
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    doodleoodle I think differing opinions have a lot to do with how a person was raised themselves. I am completely open to the fact that it doesn't work on every kid, and there are other disciplinary actions to take at times. Also, I think sometimes people think of slap spanking (making it really hurt) whereas we're more of a tap spank. At the end of the day, I think being on same page as your significant other is really important.
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @LushC I totally agree with you. My last BMB was so cruel to almost everyone unless you were part of the "in crowd". I actually stopped even checking it when I was around 4 months pregnant because it was nothing but nasty. I'm all for some snark and sarcasm when it's in good fun but the needless bashing of people was really not needed. Glad this seems to be a different board! Thanks ladies!

My UO today is how much I really hate being a step-mom. 

• Options
    Fauxpa said:
    Bless whoever mentioned the Nov '16 Zika thread... this is gold! :D
    YOU'RE WELCOME!!!
    Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• Options
    so throwing my two cents into the spank/not spanking....because why not. I am not for a BEAT DOWN, but I have no problem tapping my child's butt when she gets out of line. We were spanked growing up- but it was more of a taps on the butt. But we were terrible kids growing up.  We also grew up in an Italian household and got threatened alot, which worked wonders- imagine acting up and seeing someone wave a wooden spoon at you saying NEXT TIME THIS WILL FIND YOUR HINEY! However my DH and his sisters were never spanked- even though they should've been. For instance his mom told me a story over the weekend how his oldest sister threw  a TANTRUM-FULL BLOWN THREW EVERYTHING ON THE FLOOR OUTBURST at a store. The manager asked them to leave- that's how bad. Anyway they were walking home and his sister was still throwing a tantrum and didn't want to cross the street so she grabbed onto the street sign pole and cried and refused to get off it- his mom was of course doing everything in her power to get her off- finally a police officer drove by and was like MAAM WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THIS CHILD?!! When she told him what happened THE COP said to her "someone needs a good spanking when they get home" and His mom got soooo offended she yelled at the cop to discipline his own kids that way and not to tell her how to raise her kids. Fast forward his sister is the same exact way today. His other sister who has kids spanks occasionally and we all witnessed it once and his mom went BIZERK!!! and his sister flat out said " I don't want my kids to end up like my sister!!!!" Again I am not for beatings or  anything along those lines but sometimes a swift tap on the butt  just works when talking doesn't. 
    TTC since June 2015 

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• Options
    fauxpa-2fauxpa-2 member
    edited June 2016
    My husband and I were raised pretty much the same.  We were spanked but it wasn't anything big or dramatic.  It was one swift little swat on a clothed/diapered butt, and it was only used as an absolute last resort or when we were about to do something really freaking dangerous like stick something in a light socket.  That kind of spanking I have no problem with, and will probably use in the same way with my own children.  There will be other things tried first but I won't take a little swat on the butt off the table.

Edited to add: @DiFazette I totally agree with your parenting style!
  • Options
    My UO (maybe fffc): I think fruit snacks are fine for my 2 year old and quite yummy for myself as well. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    @DiFazette same with my DS who is rapidly approaching 2 years old. He literally laughs at me when I get frustrated. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    @LinziLoo09 This is pretty much how I feel about spanking. I was "spanked" frequently as a child, and it just ended up making me afraid and led to me having serious anger issues (which have fortunately been resolved through therapy). I am really hoping to use a more positive discipline style with my child--especially one that doesn't punish simply because a mistake was made or punishment because of normal child behavior.

However, I am not going to say I would never spank my child---but it would have to be something that I felt truly warranted it.  If others wish to spank their children, that is their prerogative, as I'm sure most of them don't intend for it to be used in an abusive manner...but in my experience there is definitely a fine line and I don't want my children to ever, ever be terrified of me.
  • Options
    I used to love them until I realized just how much sugar is in them! They are so so so bad for you teeth, too. 
  • Options
    fauxpa-2fauxpa-2 member
    edited June 2016
    **Edited: Nevermind I don't think I really worded it well and don't want to get misconstrued**

• Options
    I agree with "never say never" because I have a baby and I do things that I used to judge parents for, but spanking still doesn't make sense to me. I remember getting spanked for hitting my brother and being so confused.... Thinking, but he did something that I didn't like and that it had clearly been established that when someone does something you don't like you spank them. As an adult I understand the difference, sort of, but I just think it can confuse some (me) on how to deal with conflict appropriately. But to each their own. At the end of the day you have to do what works for your family. I've just never seen it work before, but what do I know? Not a lot.
  • Options
    I think we are mostly on the same page but for me, there are soooo few things I actually do say never to because I am totally aware that I have no idea what will feel right/ possible in the moment with the particular little human I'm dealing with. I guess that reminds me of another common " ill never do that" thing. I have no clue if ill ever feel the need to use one but I totally don't discount it as an option! Especially if ds turns out to be an escape artist.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    LinziLoo09LinziLoo09 member
    edited June 2016
    @DiFazette Never say never for sure! Ah I remember the pre-parenting glory days when I had all of the answers! With very few exceptions I really try not to judge parenting decisions. What works for me might not work for someone else and vice versa. I think it's good to have a guide of what you do and don't want to do, but it should be just that - a guide. And we're getting judgment all the time from so many sources; I don't want to contribute to that for someone else if I can help it.

@slartybartfast I feel the same where if I was to spank my kid I'd probably feel really disappointed in myself. I say this because if I did it, it would probably be out of frustrated anger rather than a cool, planned disciplinary action, and I feel that harsh discipline done in the heat of the moment (yelling, spanking, cussing, etc) strips me of my power as a parent in a sense. It knocks me down to a level where I'm not going to productively accomplish anything because of my emotions. That said, there are definitely times I have to forcefully tag DH in or leave the room to keep my cool with DD. We all have those moments!

ETA: grammar
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Options
    Kid leashes. I forgot to say the actual thing and then couldn't edit
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Kid leashes. I forgot to say the actual thing and then couldn't edit
    LOL.  You didn't need to and I knew exactly what you meant!

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    LushCLushC member
    @slartybartfast I feel the same where if I was to spank my kid I'd probably feel really disappointed in myself. I say this because if I did it, it would probably be out of frustrated anger rather than a cool, planned disciplinary action, and I feel that harsh discipline done in the heat of the moment (yelling, spanking, cussing, etc) strips me of my power as a parent in a sense. It knocks me down to a level where I'm not going to productively accomplish anything because of my emotions. That said, there are definitely times I have to forcefully tag DH in or leave the room to keep my cool with DD. We all have those moments!

ETA: grammar
    @LinziLoo09 I was typing when you posted this so I missed it but this is exactly what I was trying to convey. Just not as eloquently lol! 

P.S. Thank you for posting the article link 
  • Options
    LushCLushC member
    oh and if boards could have mottos I'd absolutely vote for Never Say Never for Dec. 16! 

Theres always something whether it be feeding, diapering, parenting styles, naming, childcare, discipline, etc related that you have to reconsider when you are a parent. Plus, it's a reminder not to be so judgy towards others because duh we don't know their lyfe!! 

• Options
    Not only do I not feel confident in knowing what I should do as a parent in the future, I can't remember half the choices I already made. I have a number of friends that are a little behind me in baby timeline that will ask for advice. I usually end up giving them a blank stare and having to admit not only to not remembering what I thought was the thing to do, but also not remembering what I actually did...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited June 2016
    LushC said:
    oh and if boards could have mottos I'd absolutely vote for Never Say Never for Dec. 16! 

Theres always something whether it be feeding, diapering, parenting styles, naming, childcare, discipline, etc related that you have to reconsider when you are a parent. Plus, it's a reminder not to be so judgy towards others because duh we don't know their lyfe!! 

Amen.  I genuinely believe that the women here that I've interacted often with are good people who will try their damndest to be the best mothers they can be.  They might not do it my way, but my way may not be the best way.  I am not a unicorns and glitter type person but this is a hard, thankless job most days and I really try to trust that mostly everyone is doing the best that they can.  It's hard enough without the extra judgement.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    @doodleoodle My parents did what I think of as 'the best use' of spanking. I was spanked when I was doing/going to do something dangerous. I also was spanked when I went against a rule that was well established - example: pretending to drive while dad was attaching the trailer. 
    After being spanked 1-5 times (mostly to get the point across that they were serious) I was then sent to my room to think about what I had done wrong. That gave me time to reason and calm down, and gave my parents time to calm down if needed and come up with a more suitable punishment if needed. 

Through this I was taught that consequences can be immediate, but might be delayed. Also that they can be physical, emotional, social, or intellectual. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    sammyl1221sammyl1221 member
    edited June 2016
    As everyone has said - to each their own. How you raise your kids is your business. I have to say, me personally, I am not traumatized from how I was disciplined growing up and I'd like to think I'm a well adjusted adult. Ugh I feel like people who say that aren't and are a bunch of psychos. 

@LinziLoo09 I'm not sure about his sister- I didn't know her when she was 2 1/2 so I can't speak to that. 
    TTC since June 2015 

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• Options
    I think this is all kind of speaking to the topic of mom shaming and mom guilt.
    I didn't realize how big of a thing this was til having a kid. Fortunately for me, fairly isolated adolescent formative years resulted in some social quirks including me not picking up or internalizing a lot of this - Like... if I am confident in a decision, advice to the contrary goes in one ear and out the other. And it doesn't even occur to me to judge how other people are doing something most of the time. I'm just like - huh. That's how that is going in that situation. But I see it in my friends. Oh the mom guilt they feel. And then that guilt causes them to say crazy judgemental things about others... like they are trying so hard to determine the one best way and feel guilty that maybe they aren't doing the one best way for everything that they then turn it on others. Judgement that others are doing something a certain way because they've reviewed the facts in their own agonizing search for the best way and that one was DEFINITELY not on the list. I tend to just duck out of all those conversations. Not interested!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    I think we all grow up in such different cultures that it's interesting to hear everyone's takes on things such as spanking, breastfeeding, ect. I'll be FTM and what gets me the through my upcoming fears of what is best is something my mom repeats to me often: There is no wrong way as long as you feel it's best way for you. We can only strive to be the best parents we can be. A little discipline no matter how you go about it, will always work out in a positive way. 

Ps: I was spanked, in a disciplinary non abusive manner. I turned out fine, love both parents who spanked me and feel no resentment. They did their best and that's all you can ask for. 
  • Options
    When any given person says "spank" that can mean a plethora of things. From abusive wailing on a child to a controlled act of intervention. The method is what differs and the motive (mindset) of the parent. The same goes for raising your voice... One can be done in a interjectory or attention getting manner, while the same level of volume can produce fear and spew venom.
    Honestly it's a bad bad day in our home when I yell... And probably far more negative, scary and bad for my kids. That's when I find myself apologizing to my children. 

As a mama you will "lose it", you will mess up. That's real life and kids need to see mama be real. Just ask for their forgiveness. 

In all, I think it's myopic to say, "I'll never..." or "I'll for sure..." When the point should not be about methodology, but about teaching, training, and correcting your child in the way they personally need. 

That said, we've quite literally tried it all when it comes to child training or discipline, because we have a lot of children with varying needs and personalities... (Spanking to time ins and even ignoring things). Through that I've realized that it's far less about the method than the heart. Sometimes a method touches the heart better than another. 

Raising children is not formulaic. 

It will not serve you well to think that "good parenting in" means you are going to have "good kids" pop out the other side. 
    Pleantly if really crappy parents manage to have great kids... An the reverse is also true. 

What I do put my hope in is that I have healthy and honest relationships with my kids and help prepare them (teach them) how to live and have relationships with others (and God) they will have what really matters in life. All other "successes" are dependent upon those basics in my perspective. 

I really like and agree with what you've said, especially the part I've bolded. I always thought that I would be the perfect parent, and as a result, I'd have the perfect kid. I had all these plans of what I would and would not do, and it was a rude awakening to actually be a parent.

I've done so many things I said I would do, including spanking, yelling, co-sleeping, and using a kid leash.  This time around I'm trying not to put too many expectations and "I will nevers" on myself, because I don't know what this child is going to be like. I also have no idea what being a mom of 2 will be like.

None of this is meant to sound condescending to FTMs. I hate to sound like a know-it-all, because I know so little about this mom thing and learn more every day.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    Oh! And will add. When I was in my "spanking glory days" with our first who was a VERY willful child (but spanking seem to help her be "better behaved" ... That's a much longer story)... I would totally look down my nose at my friends who didn't spank and had equally willful or out of control kids and feel all superior. I guess because I "wasn't allow it" or "putting up with it"? 

Know what? Time is the great illuminator... They are all basically nice and considerate and normal preteens now. Each and every one. 

What we all pretty much did the same was connect and love and teach our kids. 

Moral of the story... Love your child and teach them. Methods vary. 

Due December 27th with baby #7