October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms (May 9)

Re: Weekly Randoms (May 9)

• Options
    kmtz89kmtz89 member
    I agree with @scostel2 baby wearing means less unwanted contact from strangers (or family) with the baby
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Options

I just found out that one of the barre studios I go to, has a "babywearing" barre class where you wear your baby as you workout.  Curious to try it and wonder how that works?  
    I am in the dance ministry at my church. I would put my girls (separately) in the moby or boba while we rehearsed since we rehearsed during bed time. Both children happily fell asleep while I danced. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LMNOBaby said:
    Totally right there with you @ladyshark311 !! I just got not one, but two emails to buy tickets to our fave wine festivals and it made me so sad. I guess I could go just to go...but it just wouldn't be the same. :( And this weekend is our first anniversary and just knowing I can't partake in any wine or champagne makes me feel like, why bother celebrating?

Pretty sure this will be me in October, mere minutes after bringing baby home....
    I completely feel you all. I told my DH to drop me off for a marg on the way home from the hospital in OCt and pick me up an hour later lol.   I thought about buying bottles of wine from places we visit so even if I can't taste then I'll at least get a chance in 5 months
  • Options
    I don't get on for a few days and I find this hours of entertainment in that catfish thread! Holy moly!

Also I like the idea of baby wearing but I'm in the camp of not all the time. I have some super hippie friends who still pretty much exclusively baby wear (I don't think they even ever owned a stroller) so I'm going to be tapping her brain for her favorite carriers and why. We're going to Disney World in Feb 2017, baby may go with us or may stay with my mom, but if s/he's with us I feel like baby wearing is going to be where it's at to get through those parks with a 7 year old on my hands.

I had a long day on Mother's Day. Not a bad day, just a long one, and all I wanted was a glass of wine... So I had a glass of the fancy tea I bought at our Handmade Maker's Mart on Saturday. It was close, but wasn't quite right.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options
    agogo1agogo1 member
    If you've read any of my previous comments on babywearing, it's pretty obvious that I'm a proponent. That said, strollers are cool, too. What works for one family/baby may not work for another. We own a pretty nice stroller but DD has been in it fewer than 10 times, and she's 15 months old. That's NOT because I think strollers are bad--it's just because babywearing has been really convenient for us.

From the beginning, DD slept really well in a carrier or wrap, so it was easy for us to go wherever we wanted to without worrying about a missed nap time and subsequently cranky baby. I also personally enjoy babywearing, so having her right on me, being able to rock her and cuddle her, etc. no matter where we were or what I was doing was really nice for me. We have a ton of local breweries and DD has been going to them with us since she was just a few weeks old. You COULD totally bring a stroller to these places, but with wearing I found that we could more easily sit wherever we wanted to without having to stake out stroller space. There are an embarrassing number of photos of me with a beer in one hand and a baby strapped to my body. Super classy. We also go to a ton of festivals and I found dodging strollers and having to move more slowly because of pushing a stroller to be annoying, personally. Wearing made doing what we've always done easier for us. So, I guess I babywear primarily for totally selfish reasons. It apparently has nothing to do with what is better for baby in my case ;)

I also agree with what everyone said earlier about being hands-free, etc. etc. AND I especially agree with babywearing as a great way to keep other people from pawing or walking away with your kid (strangers or unwanted family members). It's definitely great for that and I used it as an excuse a lot ("sorry! Baby is just so comfy and will probably nap soon! You can hold her later (not)."). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    To hop on the boozy conversation...I'm not generally a wine fan, but I am a big fan of beer and a good cocktail now and then. I don't drink a lot when it's cold out, but it's so, so nice to sit outside on a patio or in a beer garden with a cold beer in the summer. I haven't missed drinking at all yet, but then it hasn't been warm out yet either. I'm definitely making sure there's a bottle or two of something good from Central Waters or Bell's in the fridge in October. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @scostel2 yes ma'am! we actually have a promenade (paved) across the street on the bay, so I can stroller at home and wear in asbury by work LOL. 

you local? 

also wearing her so nobody touches is brilliant 
  • Options
    @mrszoess that's so awesome! I'm not anymore (used to live in Red Bank), but my dad and sister both live in Monmouth County so we are down that way a lot in the summer. I miss being so close to the water!
  • Options
    Hey STMs, if you got stretch marks from your pregnancy, at which point during the pregnancy did they appear? I keep checking religiously just out of curiosity, not because I'm afraid of them. And where did they pop up first? 

Also, this catfish thread.... Will be reading tonight!
    I got mine right around 32 weeks with my twins...they just appeared one day. They do fade over time and were hardly noticeable after a while.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    LMNOBaby said:
    Totally right there with you @ladyshark311 !! I just got not one, but two emails to buy tickets to our fave wine festivals and it made me so sad. I guess I could go just to go...but it just wouldn't be the same. :( And this weekend is our first anniversary and just knowing I can't partake in any wine or champagne makes me feel like, why bother celebrating?

Pretty sure this will be me in October, mere minutes after bringing baby home....
    I completely feel you all. I told my DH to drop me off for a marg on the way home from the hospital in OCt and pick me up an hour later lol.   I thought about buying bottles of wine from places we visit so even if I can't taste then I'll at least get a chance in 5 months
    @MKJeffrey2002 , this is a mighty fine idea!  That way in 5 months, you'll have like a myriad of bottles to choose from!  I may steal your idea.  
  • Options
    Ugh, my mom just called me crying. I was with her this weekend and she was diagnosed with shingles today and is worried about it hurting the baby.  I spoke with a nurse who is going to talk about it with my doctor, and everything I've read has said it's not likely to be contagious (especially because she had no rash when I was with her).  But, now I'm irrationally nervous and feel terrible that her first thought was that she hurt the baby.  My poor mom. 
  • Options
    @depineta , i'm so sorry.  this is an awful predicament, and I understand why you're worried and your mom is worried.  I have no experience with this, but just wanted to send you good vibes and thoughts and hope everything turns out fine for you and that your mom feels better soon.
  • Options
    Thanks @annabenanna! That's so sweet. My doctor thinks I'm in the clear and that has calmed my mom down a lot. So far so good!
  • Options
    Re: Stretch marks- they popped up with my oldest around 37 weeks.. on the underside of my belly.. then the never stopped coming.. :/

Re: baby wearing-  I enjoy it, especially for babies because I can nurse and no one really has any idea.  All of our kids birthdays are Oct, nov, Dec so it's nice to wear the littlest and not have to play pass the baby in the height of germ season.  I still wear the 18 month old at the zoo or baseball games when I know she's slept and I want to get her to take a nap. We wandered around Windsor last summer and wore her the whole time there too..it's nice to have the stroller for storage as well ;)
  • Options
    Ahhhhh, now I want a Tula.  Don't think I can convince my husband to spend $150 on a carrier when we have an Ergo (which I love), a Bjorn (which my husband loves) and a Moby wrap (which I never really got the hang of, but will try again with the second).  My son did not ever want to be put down from the time he was born until the time he was a year old.  Baby wearing was useful when I needed to get stuff done around the house but he wouldn't stop crying when I put him down.  I still wear him on my back occasionally, but it's difficult now because he's 35 lbs and my back can't really take it.

Here in Seattle, I see a lot of people pushing a stroller for their toddler and wearing their infant.  I'm really looking forward to this configuration when the new one is old enough to go out for walks, especially to the grocery store.  Double strollers are great for walking to the park, but they might be unwieldy in a store.
  • Options
  • Options
    I literally have no idea when I want to baby wear or how much or which kind to use, it's just so much information to absorb. I don't remember ever being so confused about something when I had my DD or DS!
    I'm loving the idea of doing this at family functions though, so perfect!

• Options
    @TurtleMomma Hello fellow Washingtonian!  (Though I'm a Midwest transplant, so I'm not sure I count.)
  • Options
    nlane0723nlane0723 member
    edited May 2016
    lindzsers said:
    @AllyTheKid It's true! I can't remember when it happened or what board (I'm a LONG time lurker) but from what I remember the Bumpies put a bunch of money together for someone who had some type of hardship, this woman said she was going to collect the money and get it to her, and then just took the money. Or something like that. 
    This wasn't my last BMB (March 14), but that thief stole money and bought this rocker her MIL didn't gift her. I'm not sure if someone from my BMB or another member contacted her husband, but she told the thief's husband everything and she ended up buying what the funds were intended for.

N15 board is spicy. Full of banning and specials.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    @TurtleMomma Hello fellow Washingtonian!  (Though I'm a Midwest transplant, so I'm not sure I count.)
    I'd count you. I'm Washingtonian born and raised, lol

• Options
    What in the actual.....

• Options
    ohhhh @ladyshark311 I've seen these. they allegedly help babies swim.
  • Options
    I'm super indecisive, and I've been struggling with picking out baby wearing gear.  I decided on registering for a Tula carrier.  It's gray with arrows, I'm hoping that's neutral enough for DH to wear it too?  I couldn't go with just plain black, the patterns are so cute!  I think I may also  do either baby k'tan active or solly wrap.  Anyone have any experiences with these? I'd love opinions!  

I want one that's more structured and one softer.  We're also getting a stroller with travel system, but I'm a small mama and I think it will often be easier for me to just wear baby that to be lugging around/pushing a stroller.  I also think it'll be helpful in keeping baby calm while trying to get stuff done around the house.  

I don't see why it has to be such an either/or issue.  Why does everything in parenting have to be so polarizing?  Nothing is so black and white!  Except for me, the spanking issue is an absolute no.  Ok, I guess I get having strong opinions about parenting  ;)
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    kmallskmalls member
    @Blonde1817 - registering for both a soft and a structured carrier is definitely the way to go! I love our Ergo, but even with the infant insert I found it awkward to use when DS was a newborn. I also feel it's difficult/uncomfortable to sit down in, and when DS wouldn't stop crying due to reflux, I needed to be able to sit down while still wearing him (because he cried for hours). I ended up buying a mei tai, which I LOVED, and used it all the time. 

Once DS got a little heavier (like around 3-4 months) I switched to the Ergo because it supported his weight better and I was much more active while wearing him.

Anyway - that was a super long-winded way of saying yes, register for both!
  • Options
    mrszoess said:
    people are already posting in f17 saying they hope they get a bfp and can stay there in a couple weeks. 

i didn't come in here when I ovulated and post...
    Seriously though...
  • Options
    I'm lazy and haven't read all the replies but I love babywearing as a means of convenience, not like a lifestyle choice or something. We are city commuters and don't own a car. I have an umbrella stroller that I use for commuting now because DS is too big, but until he was two or so, life is WAY WAY WAY easier in a city if you wear the kid. So much easier to navigate, don't have to worry about stairs or curbs or tight sidewalks or people not making room or fitting into shops/bars/restaurants. You can carry a coffee and have a hand free. It's just so convenient. And for traveling! I hate hauling the stroller around airports, it was so much easier to just wear him everywhere. Plus he'd nap when I wore him.

I also once flashed a JFK TSA agent. She looked into my wrap to coo over the cute baby at which point she realized he was nursing :) I didn't care but the look on her face was priceless. So nursing while walking around in public is another benefit.
  • Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    @Blonde1817 we registered for a solly. As a FTM I have no idea what I'm doing but it had great reviews and all of the articles I read said it's basically the same as the other wraps (like the moby which is what we registered for first) only better. I have a bad back anyway so I figured once baby is too heavy for the solly he's (omg it still feels weird saying "he"! We found out yesterday haha) going in the stroller so I didn't bother with a structured carrier. But I have heard from a lot of my friends who are new moms that they love the Tula. Although I know the ergo is very popular too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My two cents on carriers- I had a Baby K'Tan for the newborn phase, then a travel Ergo (lighter and more flexible than a normal one) and finally got a Tula as well. The travel Ergo wasn't supportive enough eventually. I still have them all and plan to use them again.
  • Options
    @lgw2015 My plan is basically the same as yours - I registered for a k'tan in the mesh (Texas heat, plus I'm hot-natured) and I didn't register for another one because I think when the baby gets that big, I won't be able to carry it that much anyway due to my back problems. I mean - we can always get one later if we feel like it.

• Options
    @mrszoess I was just thinking how I HATE anything around my neck and I would not like that personally especially in water! Lol I read comments though and some people were either A. Laughing or B. Incredibly upset at the people laughing because they have a child with a disability who can't sit up unassisted and could use this I guess? 
  • Options
    @ladyshark311 That looks like an aquatic torture device  :o
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What in the actual.....

*Stuck in quote box*
    These are actually fairly dangerous and not helpful in teaching babies how to swim.  I taught swim lessons for almost ten years, and worked with someone who specifically taught little babies how to swim.  This teaches them wrong positioning in the water, so they form the wrong muscle memory for future swimming, and have a much harder time learning as they grow.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Michi1382 I agree, there were so many people on there saying how great they are but I can't imagine strapping my baby in by the neck. 

@mommym234 I never taught actual swimming lessons but I did spend tons of time with both my kids in the pool from babyhood on teaching them to swim. I couldn't understand how this could teach swimming when we don't bob up and down upright to swim at all. From what I was reading in the comments there is no weight pulling on the body due to being in the water and they are "great" but I am all set! 
  • Options
    Heeeyyyy guys! Life has been so hectic I've had trouble logging on as much as I like so just wanted to say hello!

i am also way too far behind but re baby wearing I actually just asked my two other fb mom groups about this. I didn't baby wear a ton with DD, but feel I want to more with this one and it will be more necessary! I have a Brecco Gemini and love it! Many women said the Tula is not good for newborns unless you get the infant insert which is a pain in the butt.

• Options
    Also the catfish drama-was this recent or old? Because I remember a very similar story in 2014...is it this one or has there been another?!