July 2016 Moms
Options

Week of 5/9 Randoms

Re: Week of 5/9 Randoms

• Options

I plan on BFing while I'm on maternity leave for 3 months. After that, I'm not sure if I will continue. I suffered from extreme PPD with my first and I think having to still handle all of the night feedings after I go back to work (and having to pump 2-3 times a day while at work) will add to me losing some of my sanity again this time. With both DH and I working does anyone have any recommendations as to how we should handle night feedings (which will be done by bottle at that point). I've heard of people who take "shifts" where one spouse handles the first half of the evening and then the other handles the second half of the night. I feel like interrupted sleep really sucks though. I'm wondering if alternating nights where one of us is "on duty" and the other sleeps might help a lot. We have a furnished guest room in the upstairs by the nursery so I would think this could work well. However, I'm worried that DH would just sleep through all the baby crying because he's such a heavy sleeper. Anybody have experience on how to handle night feeds with both parents working?

• Options
    We alternated nights or shifts if we both worked the next day.
    And if the person who 'shift' it was didn't get up, the other person woke them up.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

@BecauseBabyIAmPug since our master is on the first floor and our guest room is on the second floor, I may not actually hear anything since the person on duty would be sleeping in the guest room near the nursery. I could see myself getting really sick of trudging up the stairs to wake him up. I guess when I'm on duty I could just sleep upstairs as to not disturb DH, and then when he's on duty just have him sleep in the master so I can elbow jab him whenever I hear the monitor. In other words, I'm probably going to get sick of him not waking up and then just end up doing it myself. Not really looking forward to being a zombie for the first 6+ months of DS's life! Going to be rough.

• Options
    @rnyland1 we alternated shifts from the first week, because my son basically didn't sleep at all unless we held him. I pumped, and we slept in 4 hour shifts so that we could both get enough uninterrupted sleep to survive. After he started sleeping, I did more of the night feedings since my husband had to get up ridiculously early for work. He also arrived home early, and has always been awesome about taking over so I can nap or get stuff done. Once I got pregnant again, he took over all nighttime wake ups (far more infrequent at this point).  You kinda just have to go with the flow of life and recognize your own needs in each season.
  • Options
    Nerdchild said:
    .....alright, Special K is a cereal, not a drug....Does this officially mean I'm old? 
    Dude, the only reason I know it is from my job. So don't feel bad.
  • Options
    mamafox14mamafox14 member
    edited May 2016
    Nerdchild said:
    .....alright, Special K is a cereal, not a drug....Does this officially mean I'm old? 
    I just watched Party Monster too many times in my formative years.....

ETA this gif because I love Party Monster and Chloe Sevigny

• Options
    PootsDragonPootsDragon member
    edited May 2016
    @LDSJM123 What'd you make them from?? That's an AMAZING price! Also holy wipe stash!
  • Options
    Wonder if they'll be any dirty deletes. Probably not bc she's not a regular and apparently admins don't care. 
  • Options
    @Nerdchild dude, I think I only know about it from Law & Order.

• Options
    @LDSJM123 What'd you make them from?? That's an AMAZING price! Also holy wipe stash!
    You know those really nice (but kind of thin) white cotton blankets they have at hospitals? And sometimes they're warmed up when they give them to you? I found one at the thrift store for $2.99. Took it home, washed it in hot bleach water and took pinking shears to it. I just made the wipes the same size as disposable wipes. Which yielded me 80. I have some leftover fabric, so had I changed the dimensions a little I could have gotten more. But 80 seemed sufficient. We plan to keep the solution in a spray bottle. 

@PootsDragon
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 NICE! I'm working on 80 as well, I used an old flannel sheet set of my little sisters haha because I am cheap. 
  • Options
    kellz14kellz14 member
    For all the crap I give MH about having a baby not really hitting him yet... I don't think I've fully grasped it myself yet.  I mean... there's going to be a PERSON that I'm RESPONSIBLE for...  I've gone from "I can't wait to hold that little baby" to starting to panic slightly!
  • Options
    joleri23 said:
    @kellz14 I can definitely relate to your panic! Every time I see a baby I think, "Aww, I want one!"

Two seconds later: "Wait a minute..."

STM and I'm getting the panic, too. How am I going to do dinner & bath time with DD... AND A BABY when DH is out of town? Or get out of the house with 2 kids for work? Seems nuts but plenty of people do it. I'll catch on! LOL
  • Options
    I'm still in the "I can't wait to hold him!" stage. I feel like I won't freak out until I'm literally having real contractions and realize I need to go to the hospital! 
  • Options
    I'm still in the "I can't wait to hold him!" stage. I feel like I won't freak out until I'm literally having real contractions and realize I need to go to the hospital! 
    I'm at the same stage you are. I absolutely can't wait to hold him, but I think its going to really hit me like a ton of bricks when I go into labor!
  • Options
    That's how I feel too. As soon as I think it feels real, I realize I still have no clue what's coming!
  • Options
    My odorless cloth diaper pail just arrived - it's so tiny! I can't believe it cost $50. It better be odorless for that price.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    I benefit nothing from it but James McAvoy is single, yall! Whew whew!

• Options
    Do you really need baby powder and/or baby oil? Don't laugh at me I'm a FTM but what do you use them for anyways?
  • Options
    YeezusButtersYeezusButters member
    edited May 2016
    I, personally, never used either. @Shelby00519
  • Options
    @YeezusButters have you watched the British version of Shameless? It's on my list, and if it's anything like the American version I'm willing to bet there is lots of naked James McAvoy..
  • Options
    Do you really need baby powder and/or baby oil? Don't laugh at me I'm a FTM but what do you use them for anyways?
    I've used baby powder on occasion to keep the diaper area dry to avoid diaper rashes but not sure what baby oil is used for as I've never had to use it.
  • Options
    @YeezusButters have you watched the British version of Shameless? It's on my list, and if it's anything like the American version I'm willing to bet there is lots of naked James McAvoy..
    I haven't but it's definitely on my to do list now!
  • Options
    From my understanding it is recommended not to use baby powder anymore. I've never used either regardless. 
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options
    It's no longer recommended to use powder on babies. I think it's due to inhalation of the airborne powder dust, but I don't remember exact details. I have no idea what the intended use of baby oil is. I've never used it on my son, but I do use it for a super cheap and excellent eye makeup remover. :) 
  • Options
    I never used baby powder. The only thing I used baby oil for was to loosen up the nasty cradle cap my daughter had. I would put just a little bit on her scalp in the bathtub, and then comb off the flakes while she was still in the bath. Other than that, I never used baby oil for anything.
  • Options
    @Shelby00519 - My pedi never wanted us to use powder because of the inhaled particles as a poster mentioned above.  I think as a whole, it's not recommended.  As for baby oil, we used it for cradle cap as well. I've also used it myself after shaving as an alternative to lotion.  Babies are slippery enough as is, I never felt comfortable using it on DD. :) 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Thinking I should just buy a small one of each just to have just in case but doubtful I'll ever use them.
  • Options
    @rnyland1 I did nurse DD through the night and stay at home, but she was colicky and didn't sleep almost at all during the day, so we more or less took shifts. I did the first half of the night and DH took the second. I would nurse her and hand her off to him to get her back to sleep and deal with her screams.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a dream last night that I offered my cousin and her husband my womb. That's right, I told them I would be their surrogate. I woke up and was like, Holy Sh*t! Please tell me I didn't really do that because you can't take that sort of thing back....

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing that people do that. But no way in hell am I doing this a 3rd time and I don't even reap the benefits!
  • Options
    Congratulations @mnkenned  ! I hope all goes well with the offer and you can finally get that stress off your shoulders! :smiley: 
  • Options
    @theshannondee If you check the PGAL thread for this past week, she mentioned she was around 29.5 weeks a few days before. Looking forward to the birth story also!