Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

Re: Super Awesome Honest Giant Baby Names Thread

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Boy would be Nicholas 
    Girl would be Abigail 
  • Options
    Kaessi said:
    I haven't ran this by DH yet & I'm sure he'll probably veto, but....

Alana Kay

Thoughts?
    I like it. I'm for most names that have the three-syllable followed (or preceded by) monosyllable name. Not sure if I'm wild about either one on its own (just NMS) but it has a lovely flow. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kmtz89kmtz89 member
    @Kaessi I have a friend named Alana Kaye (granted Kaye is her surname). She is a wonderful woman and so that probably sways me to thinking its a good name. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania, East Africa, since 2013
    DH - Tanzanian
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior- OHS at 7 months old
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB: November 19, 2013)
    March 2021 - Bonus daughter, N, moved in with us (DOB: June 6, 2014)
    BFP #3 - April 25, 2024 -- EDD January 2, 2025
  • Options
    Here are FI'S latest mn suggestions: Back to Craven (NOPE, veto), Bram (I actually like it), and Riot (FUCK NO).
  • Options
    @Kaessi I like it, it's cute and simple =)
  • Options
    My family is from Brazil and traditionally we have the given name then mother's last name then father's last name. With that... I think we will skip the giving the baby a middle name so that it doesn't become a giant name all together! 
    For first names we are thinking Noah, Samuel or Jacob! 
  • Options
    @kaessi I really like Leilani Kay! It's sweet and definitely has heritage without being too out-there.
  • Options
    kmolleltz said:
    @AllyTheKid
    Johnny Riot
    Only if he has a spike mohawk, preferably pink and a jean jacket with a giant back patch. Additional "Anarchy" patch bonus points. 
    Case in point

I love punk rock, I love the subculture, and I love the fashion. I would never, however, Give my child a 'punk rock name'. 
  • Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited May 2016
    Here are FI'S latest mn suggestions: Back to Craven (NOPE, veto), Bram (I actually like it), and Riot (FUCK NO).
    Bram works.
    There's always Johnny Waitforit :)
  • Options
    jbal918jbal918 member
    We picked Parker James for our little man! If t was a girl, she would have been Amelia Marie! :) 
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    ecpdvmecpdvm member
    @sjo&thetwins I had a friend named Carlisle (girl). She was awesome! We always called her Carlisle or 'Car"
  • Options
    @Kaessi I like Alana Kay! It's very pretty and has a nice flow. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    CaptainPhasmaCaptainPhasma member
    edited May 2016
    lyonbbmum said:
    My family is from Brazil and traditionally we have the given name then mother's last name then father's last name. With that... I think we will skip the giving the baby a middle name so that it doesn't become a giant name all together! 
    For first names we are thinking Noah, Samuel or Jacob! 
    We plan to give our kid my last name as a second middle name, I'm hoping it won't be too unwieldy 

• Options
    Liam James 
    Layton 
    Luke 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JaJuanYJaJuanY member
    depineta said:
    I accidentally brought up to DH the other night that I though Khaleesi was a really pretty name, and Callie is actually on our girl's name list, although kind of far down, and that could be a good nickname for Khaleesi.  I was totally not serious about naming our child after a fictional character's royal title in a TV show that glorifies
     sex, violence, and betrayal (I'm not judging, we watch it and are hooked, although a few seasons behind) but now my DH loves it and is really pushing hard for that name.  Now I know not to bring up any names around him, even joking, unless I absolutely love them.  
    Me: 35 DH: 39
    Married: 10/11/15
    Baby girl Addie born 10/12/16 <3:)<3

• Options
    JaJuanY said:
    depineta said:
    I accidentally brought up to DH the other night that I though Khaleesi was a really pretty name, and Callie is actually on our girl's name list, although kind of far down, and that could be a good nickname for Khaleesi.  I was totally not serious about naming our child after a fictional character's royal title in a TV show that glorifies
     sex, violence, and betrayal (I'm not judging, we watch it and are hooked, although a few seasons behind) but now my DH loves it and is really pushing hard for that name.  Now I know not to bring up any names around him, even joking, unless I absolutely love them.  
    ohhhh nooooo
  • Options
    @JaJuanY I pulled a similar stunt on FI over a middle name, LESSON LEARNED.
  • Options
    Husband and I have been talking about what to name the baby. He's Indian, so we'd like to have a name that, while not necessarily Indian in origin, doesn't conflict with a more traditional name. If that makes sense. His name is very traditional, and many people in the U.S. have trouble pronouncing it, so he'd like his children to have an easier time of it. 

We like Emma, Klara, Vivian, and a few other names (we're having a girl). His mom surprisingly suggested we pick a Star Wars name like Leia or Rey. I think Leia might be TOO nerdy (even if I love it), but I do like Rey. 
    What about Padma? It's Hindi, means lotus, and has definite Star Wars queen vibes.

• Options
    Love Padma (I'm a huge HP nerd though)
  • Options
    JaJuanY said:
    depineta said:
    My sister goes by Callie! Short for Carolena (our mom's name)

• Options
    I like Leilani better than Alana... maybe there were just too many girls in my age group with that name (born in 87)?  I think Leilani has a ton of nickname opportunities too... Lei, Leila, Lani, Lane, Ani, Ellie, LL, etc.
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    JaJuanY said:
    depineta said:
    I think what bothers me most about it is that it's a TITLE, not a name! It would be like naming your kid Princess. Or, going with the GOT theme, naming the kid Queen instead of Cersei.  I don't like it one bit. Good luck talking your husband down from this one! 
  • Options
    I have a MALE classmate named Innocent... 
  • Options
    depineta said:
    JaJuanY said:
    depineta said:
    I think what bothers me most about it is that it's a TITLE, not a name! It would be like naming your kid Princess. Or, going with the GOT theme, naming the kid Queen instead of Cersei.  I don't like it one bit. Good luck talking your husband down from this one! 
    I met this guy who named his daughter Arya, from GOT.  He was so proud of it too, like really really proud.  He didn't even read the books, so to me he wasn't a die-hard fan--but he loves the show.  I couldn't bring myself to say:  "dude, why?"  Sorry, I'm being totally judgy here.  
  • Options
    @allythekid after Pope Innocent maybe? Like the Hispanic men named Angel? I had an Adriel in my class (college freshmen) this semester. Really a gorgeous name - he was a guy, but I think it would work for a girl, too.

• Options
    Naming someone is hard my other kids were so easy maybe it's because we knew who they were but we are out of family names with all our kids.
    We have already used Faythe, Cadence, Russell, Melody, Dylan and Adeline. Plus all their middle names are family names too this time I'm am stuck super stuck all I have is Clayton which my husband hates but I always get the first name because I push the melon heads out. If it's a girl I'm screwed I got nothing.
  • Options
    I'm 18wks and expecting my first boy. We've decided on the name Karter I love it. If I were having another girl her name wud of been Larna-Rae xx
  • Options
    Husband is pushing for Caroline and it's growing on me.  I'm thinking maybe Caroline Elise.. kind of a play on Alice which is my mom's given name.. buuuut, not 100% yet. :)
  • Options
    We decided on John Mick Peter most are family names except Mick it was a joke at first because my husband's last name but I Veto every other name he tired till all that was left was Mick. Now to work on Girls names for our baby green.
  • Options
    ingoscjingoscj member
    We've decided on Oskar. My mom is worried about Oscar the grouch teasing. I think he'll be fine. We're going with Ozzie for a nickname. I can't wait to make all of the Ozzy jokes. "Enunciate Ozzie! Quit mumbling!"
  • Options
    My husband, who has been pretty resistant and difficult (to say the least) actually suggested a name this morning! But I'm not sure about it. What do you all think of Sage for a girl? Middle name would be Dawn. I typically can't stand 1-syllable given names, and with a 1-syllable middle name I'm really torn. I don't want to shoot him down too hard because he really has not wanted to participate in this conversation at all until we find out the sex in a few weeks. I'm excited it is finally on his mind!
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Love Sage but agree that it's awkward when combined with a one syllable MN. However most people never hear anyone else's MN, so it could be perfect if you have a 2+ syllable last name that sounds good with it.
  • Options
    @NoraAurora, our last name is also 1- syllable...rhymes with Sears
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited May 2016
    I like Sage.  I have a cousin with that name, but she spells is Saige.

ETA: I don't really think the name flow matters all that much, for a girl at least.  I know not all women change their names when they get married, but I think most do.  I'm in the minority in my area and opted to have 2 last names.  I went from a 3 syllable last name to a 1 syllable last name (The last name I most frequently use).  I wouldn't worry about the flow with the last name all that much.  Also when a friend of mine changed her name, she dropped her middle and made her maiden name her middle name.  I think if you really like a given name then use it.  The other names may change in the future.  

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @RainMira9e I have no idea, just found it a bit bizarre.

@lizakate1213 I have only met one Sage, but oddly he is a boy haha 
  • Options
    @NoraAurora, our last name is also 1- syllable...rhymes with Sears
    Hmm. I still think it works.