April 2016 Moms
Options

**The Everything Random Thread for April Mamas**

Re: **The Everything Random Thread for April Mamas**

• Options
    DougalMcG said:

thaisac1 said:

DougalMcG said:

@thaisac1 he has already had one heart attack most likely due to uncontrolled high blood pressure (he thought he could cure that with natural supplements. It didn't work)

@NachosAndPeaches I've tried. My mom has tried (she's a nurse). He doesn't listen to facts. He's a chiropractor and thinks he can cure everything naturally. Which is interesting because he has no problem taking the drugs in the ER when he was about to die of a heart attack....

Hmmmm, I see a trend here. Now I see how he drives you so frustrated. :) Well if he has already had one, then even MORE reasons to take the flu shot! It's no small deal. Taking a flu shot will decrease his risk of heart attack this year by 30%, which is better in terms of risk reduction than the baby aspirin he takes (which reduces by about 21%). (Assuming he is taking his baby aspirin!!!)
    That's really amazing when you think about it! 30% is not a small number. I'm going to sit down and properly read the research now so I have some good ammo for what is sure to be a very heated thanksgiving dinner conversation. And no he doesn't take aspirin!!! He probably inhales tea trea oil or adds some extra flax seeds to his kale shakes instead lol

Oh my!!!! That's the bread and butter of secondary prevention!!!!!
  • Options

For anybody interested in all this animal stuff I highly recommend the book "animas in translation" by temple grandin. It's awesome.

I'm pretty obsessed with Temple Grandin. 1. She has a disability and "made it" in the professional world. Definitely I role model I like for my students. 2. She designed this slaughtering technique that pork farms with my husband's company use that it incredible. It reduces the stress and adrenaline in animals headed for slaughter immensely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

@mrstrax I watched all of that "Twice Born" documentary series last night and I'm hooked! I was mad it was only 3 episodes. So fascinating!

I loved these!
  • Options
    The past few days I have switched my sleep schedule upside down and been sleeping all day and staying awake at night. I thought I had managed to fix it and was able to go to sleep around 9 pm. And now I'm wide awake at 3 am, sigh. I wish I could go back to sleep. Now I'm considering baking cookies.

• Options
    cmjenkies said:

@mrstrax I watched all of that "Twice Born" documentary series last night and I'm hooked! I was mad it was only 3 episodes. So fascinating!

I know! I wish there was more about the medical side of creating and performing the procedures etc; but I'm also planning to get my Paramedic or LPN/RN once I'm done SAHMing, so I know my squick level is way higher than the average person.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@mrstrax I'm a total trauma junkie. I got to see a through-and-through gunshot wound yesterday and I won't go into detail (don't know how squeamish others are!) but it was SO awesome!

You're speaking my language! I could take or leave illness but trauma/injury just makes me go "woah, cool" - including when it was DH needing stitches. It'll be interesting if I have to deal with any semi-serious injuries with DD (or DS) if it will be different or not. Hopefully we'll just not deal with major injuries!
    Anniversary 
  • Options

mrstrax said:
    @mrstrax I'm a total trauma junkie. I got to see a through-and-through gunshot wound yesterday and I won't go into detail (don't know how squeamish others are!) but it was SO awesome!
    You're speaking my language! I could take or leave illness but trauma/injury just makes me go "woah, cool" - including when it was DH needing stitches. It'll be interesting if I have to deal with any semi-serious injuries with DD (or DS) if it will be different or not. Hopefully we'll just not deal with major injuries!

I'm the opposite, I'm the doc who hates that kind of stuff! I have dealt with it when needed but I hate it. :P
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

mrstrax said:

I'm the opposite, I'm the doc who hates that kind of stuff! I have dealt with it when needed but I hate it. :P

My dream job would be an OR nurse. Again, won't go into details but when I see cool stuff I'm all heart-eye emoji like a fan girl at Justin Bieber concert.
  • Options

mrstrax said:

My dream job would be an OR nurse. Again, won't go into details but when I see cool stuff I'm all heart-eye emoji like a fan girl at Justin Bieber concert.
    I'm the prevention gal, on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. :D
  • Options
    Spent last night in the ER with the hubby and his dislocated shoulder. I skipped his hockey game last night because I was tired and cranky and didn't want to be out until 1am, but turns out we were out much, much later than that. I hate that I wasn't there to help him off the ice when he was hurting. Total wife fail. Reading all y'all's conversation does make me glad that we weren't a more exciting case for the ER docs, though. Just the dislocation was bad enough, I don't think I could have handled having his blood or guts exposed.
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:
    Spent last night in the ER with the hubby and his dislocated shoulder. I skipped his hockey game last night because I was tired and cranky and didn't want to be out until 1am, but turns out we were out much, much later than that. I hate that I wasn't there to help him off the ice when he was hurting. Total wife fail. Reading all y'all's conversation does make me glad that we weren't a more exciting case for the ER docs, though. Just the dislocation was bad enough, I don't think I could have handled having his blood or guts exposed.
    Not a wife fail! You were there with him all night once he needed you, despite being tired/cranky. I'm glad it wasn't anything worse either - I wouldn't wish trauma on anyone, I just find it interesting when it happens. I hope he's able to recover quickly and there wasn't any muscle/rotator cuff damage!
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:

If you were already tired and cranky, it might have been worse if you were there. At least you were there to keep him company and offer support at the hospital - those trips are scary and always seem to drag by. FX for a quick recovery for you husband!
  • Options
    @AGK2015 that sounds scary, I hope he recovers fast and that everything is alright

• Options
    AGK2015AGK2015 member
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the support, guys. He's doing fine now; just gotta follow up with an orthopedist, but the ER docs seemed pretty confident that it wasn't too bad and was unlikely to require surgery. He'll be back to hockey in no time.

I think I feel guiltier because the woman who took care of getting both him and me to the hospital is his least favorite person connected to the team. When I joined them, she was busy regaling him with tales of other hockey injuries she's seen, including several for people who will never play again and one whose wife died on the way to the hospital to be with him because she was speeding. Definitely not the person he wanted to spend quality one-on-one time with while he was in pain!
  • Options
    AGK2015 said:
    My poor hubby has dislocated 3 times, so been there, done that. Now he has had surgery to tighten up the ligments and tendons, no dislocation since.
  • Options
    Incredibly useful fact of the day: mother elephants are pregnant for 2 years.

:neutral: Can you imagine?
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

Oh my days. :no_mouth:

• Options
    thaisac1 said:

Makes 9 months sound really short...
  • Options
    Incredibly useful fact of the day: mother elephants are pregnant for 2 years. :neutral: Can you imagine?
    The only thing worse than being pregnant for that long would be giving birth to something the size of a baby elephant. Ouch!
    Or getting killed so people can steal your teeth to make shit out of it :(
  • Options
    AmadorRoseAmadorRose member
    edited November 2015
    @thaisac1 food wins all but once, and mostly because I'm not a fan of vending machine snacks. How could any man ever compete to waking up to a quesadilla floating above me, ready to devour? At least I know DH would eat with me so I didn't feel like a chub :smiley:

Edit for fat fingers
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @thaisac1 I had 3 for sex and the rest was food hahaha. Joe Manganiello, oh myyyyy he could lick my wounds any time *whistle*

• Options
    @thaisac1 I had 3 for sex and the rest was food hahaha. Joe Manganiello, oh myyyyy he could lick my wounds any time *whistle*
    I had mostly food too, LOL, but since I dont care about cheesy stuff and mexican food, I picked a few guys. :D
  • Options
    @thaisac1 well those are some tough choices... How could you not pick Chris Pratt over vending machine though... that one should have been tougher.

Annnddd I don't know why but that freaking funnel cake looked amazing... I don't even particularly like funnel cake!!!
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited November 2015
    To me the absolute hardest battle was the first one, Channing vs. Freshly baked cookies. After much deliberation, I picked the cookies! :D
  • Options
    If all of them came with the disclaimer *and not gain weight* oh it would be food by a landslide! Ha ha ha
  • Options

If all of them came with the disclaimer *and not gain weight* oh it would be food by a landslide! Ha ha ha

100% agree with this statement. Even without that statement I definitely picked food for the majority.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That is funny although I must be weird because I don't find those guys that attractive!
  • Options
    @allaire314 Chris Pratt is the only guy I picked, part because I do like his acting and part because I'm not big on vending machines anyway.
  • Options
    @thaisac1 Food all the way! I barely noticed the guys, and now I'm hungry. Thanks.
  • Options
    THE BABY WAS YAWNING BUT IT LOOKED LIKE SHE WAS GRINNING REALLY BIG I NEED TO YELL ABOUT THIS BECAUSE OMGGGGGG
    I'm confused haha
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options

THE BABY WAS YAWNING BUT IT LOOKED LIKE SHE WAS GRINNING REALLY BIG
    I NEED TO YELL ABOUT THIS BECAUSE OMGGGGGG

I'm confused haha

I had an ultrasound today, and we caught her in the middle of a yawn, but her she literally looked like :D
  • Options

I don't care what happens the rest of the week. The wiggles cd that has been stuck in my car CD player for a year and a half magically came out today!!!!!!

Did it magically fly out the window as soon as it ejected? Because that sounds TERRIBLE.
  • Options
    I don't care what happens the rest of the week. The wiggles cd that has been stuck in my car CD player for a year and a half magically came out today!!!!!!
    Fruit salad... yummy yummy! Ha ha ha... oh I do not miss listening to them when my sister was little (12 year difference so I was in HS when she was addicted to them).