June 2015 Moms
Options

Daytime sucks!

Re: Daytime sucks!

• Options
    delujm0 said:

Well mine basically screams whenever she's not eating and sleeping now, so I'm not entirely sure how it could get worse. I guess I'll probably be glad to let the daycare ladies deal with it as long as she'll still sleep at night. With my luck this will happen over a weekend and I'll go crazy.

I never noticed the first 2 leaps because LO was always upset. The 12 week leap will be the first one with our happy baby.

BTW, hang in there @delujm0. I know how hard it is having a constant screamer and you're doing a great job. I keep hoping it's getting better for you.
  • Options
    delujm0 said:

I guess I'll probably be glad to let the daycare ladies deal with it

Yes, was just about to say this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Growth spurt over here. That was hard!!! Just in time for our first overnight trip.
  • Options
    I really hope this leap is over soon.. She will not nap. She falls asleep and I put her down and 5 minutes later wide awake.. She used to take such good naps usually 2/3 a day with 2 of them being over an hour and the last a short cat nap around dinner time. She has been taking shorter naps lately but then the other day took a 3 hour nap randomly.. Why do babies have to do this?? I'm losing my mind. If she was happy and fine with being awake I would love to keep her up but this is exhausting. She's so tired and then cranky and I just want her to sleep..
    I know she needs more than 2 hours of daytime sleep it's driving me nuts. Today she napped for 35 minutes Twice, then 15 in the car and wouldn't go back to sleep and she's fighting a nap now. I can't do this everyday
  • Options
    I remember reading that littles ones around the ten week mark, that's where we are, are suppose to be taking a nap after being awake for 2.5 hrs or so, but the length can very @caitlincunn

My little guy now does this throughout the day, but he didn't always. What has been working the past 2 weeks is at the first sign of tiredness (usually glossy eyes, a yawn or a dramatic sigh) I start rocking him, put him in his swing or stroller and he's out shortly after. I found using the sound app made things much much easier too. It works as a cue more than anything I suppose, I shut it off once he's out and he doesn't wake. But my only saving grace has been always catching him being tired before he does! But all of that goes down the toilet shortly after supper and then he just usually won't sleep until bedtime. He's still up to eat every 2 hours, so it's not because he's gearing up for a long deep sleep either!

I also haven't had much luck with him sleeping in his crib for more than 5-15 minutes without waking. He's very dependent on some type of movement, unless he's nursing, for him to be able to fall asleep.
  • Options
    During our current spurt (we are at 14 weeks and gosh I hope it's almost done) LO is eating more and more frequently. Like over 30 ounces a day (normally she eats 24-25).

She's also needing to poop a lot and getting VERY upset about it. Maybe her digestive system is maturing?
  • Options
    I don't know if LO is in a leap (15.5 weeks), is teething, or is having another growth spurt. But holy cow is he cranky! He literally goes from smiling and talking to screaming and crying in a matter of two seconds. And when he starts, it is impossible to calm him down.

And ugh. So much drool. I am constantly wiping drool and tears from his face.

Where did my happy baby go?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @kristenk727 the drool...my gosh the drool. It's like a drool factory. Her face, my clothes, anyone else's clothes who is holding her is always soaked. And her fists are still in her mouth so she brings a line of drool out always. Yuck!!!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Have the daytime naps gotten better for anyone who was struggling with them? Lo will. Not. Nap. Anywhere except in my arms. I have tried it all, it doesn't matter where I try to put him, or when (awake but drowsy HA or deep asleep) he wakes and cries the instant I put him down. I just want hope it does in fact get better :( I've been sucking it up and just holding him for the several hours that he naps, otherwise he is so tired and miserable, but this means I have 0 time to myself...ever...
  • Options
    slynnn768 said:
    Have the daytime naps gotten better for anyone who was struggling with them? Lo will. Not. Nap. Anywhere except in my arms. I have tried it all, it doesn't matter where I try to put him, or when (awake but drowsy HA or deep asleep) he wakes and cries the instant I put him down. I just want hope it does in fact get better :( I've been sucking it up and just holding him for the several hours that he naps, otherwise he is so tired and miserable, but this means I have 0 time to myself...ever...
    I was having similar problems, then one day last week i could tell he was getting fussy because he was tired and didn't want to be held. so i laid him on my bed with a muslin blanket, his lovey, and his pacifier in his mouth and he napped all by himself.  He just turned 12 weeks yesterday.  But last week was the first time he has done this, and he now routinely is able to get himself to sleep while laying on the bed. 
  • Options
    swiebe said:

slynnn768 said:

I was having similar problems, then one day last week i could tell he was getting fussy because he was tired and didn't want to be held. so i laid him on my bed with a muslin blanket, his lovey, and his pacifier in his mouth and he napped all by himself.  He just turned 12 weeks yesterday.  But last week was the first time he has done this, and he now routinely is able to get himself to sleep while laying on the bed. 

Fantastic...so maybe soon then?? Lo is 10 weeks now...at least you have given me some hope haha [-O<
  • Options
    @slynnn768 we had the same problem, then my husband swaddled him and put him in the swing with white noise and he slept for two hours! I am sure someday I'll have to break him of this habit, but for right now I'm going with it because it just works! I actually have a happy baby in the evenings now.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    swiebe said:

slynnn768 said:

ETA: Quote box fail...
    Yes ditto! He spent several days napping on our bed and now I can usually put him in the PnP... Though he still does better on the bed, for naps. Sometimes I have to lie next to him, snuggling him. On some occasions he wants me there but not touching him.
    He's getting good at putting himself to sleep by sucking on his hands. Small consolation for how short his naps are and how often he wakes at night. We will get there one day.
  • Options
    Question:

For naps throughout the day, how is everyone putting their LO down? Are you rocking them, putting them in their swings, or are they falling asleep on their own in their crib, or while you nurse, etc.

My little man is 11 weeks. He'll often tries to fall asleep on his own in his swing, about 50% of the time he can but often needs me to rock him (standing or in the glider). Just curious what others are doing and how they are finding things. Thx :)
  • Options
    slynnn768 said:

Have u tried belly down naps in a crib ? I started that weeks ago and now she naps yay!! I also put white noise on next to her
  • Options
    MurLindzz said:

Question:

For naps throughout the day, how is everyone putting their LO down? Are you rocking them, putting them in their swings, or are they falling asleep on their own in their crib, or while you nurse, etc.

My little man is 11 weeks. He'll often tries to fall asleep on his own in his swing, about 50% of the time he can but often needs me to rock him (standing or in the glider). Just curious what others are doing and how they are finding things. Thx :)

I'm not too strict on where daytime naps happen.. I actually try to have him nap anywhere but crib because he's been sleeping through night in crib so I let him nap in swing.. On my bed,or in pack n play that we still have set up in room.. Thinking he will know that crib=night time sleeping for a long time lol ... It's working for us ..
  • Options
    That's a great idea @HayesRN13 we've been co- sleeping so our LO isn't taking naps where he crashes at night either. Does your little guy just fall asleep on his own when he's ready, or do you end up having to rock him before he will fall asleep?
  • Options
    MurLindzz said:

That's a great idea @HayesRN13 we've been co- sleeping so our LO isn't taking naps where he crashes at night either. Does your little guy just fall asleep on his own when he's ready, or do you end up having to rock him before he will fall asleep?

We do his bath around 8:30, then get him all ready for bed and keep all lights low, read him a little story, then make him a nice warm bottle.. So it's around 9:30 when I sit down with him and his blanket and bottle .. He usually falls all the way to sleep while eating .. I try to burp him then put him in his crib, I make sure he's out of his REM sleep before putting him down

• Options
    HayesRN13HayesRN13 member
    edited September 2015
    ^^ I will add my guy sleeps on his tummy since born, that makes a difference too ... AND I always bring him in our bed in am when he wakes and side nurse him to allow me a few more hours of sleep ... As soon as he gets boob in his mouth he dream feeds for at least two more hours
  • Options
    Lately mines been a terrible napper. 11 weeks today. Goes 40 minutes in crib then wakes up. I put paci in and she's sometimes okay but smiles big when she sees me. If I walk away, she's hysterical crying. She's full and not wet. Yesterday I laid her on our bed and she slept for over 2 hours. I don't get it.
  • Options
    @slr1229 it's so funny how LO's are so different. 40 minutes is a successful nap for us! Hoping your LO gets back to its normal sleeping schedule so you can get some stuff done! Or take a breath!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 yeah, it really is. We usually stick to the eat, wake, feed cycle and I can't keep her entertained of enough before she gets tired but wakes up too early for the next feed jacking everything up for the day. Sometimes they just do what they want!
  • Options
    Why can't my LO be snuggly? I'm the laziest person on the planet and she refuses to snuggle. It's rainy and dark and all I want to do is lay on the couch but nope, miss busy bee must be entertained. Humph.
  • Options
    slr1229 said:

@dancegurl1118 yeah, it really is. We usually stick to the eat, wake, feed cycle and I can't keep her entertained of enough before she gets tired but wakes up too early for the next feed jacking everything up for the day. Sometimes they just do what they want!

This is EXACTLY what is happening here, too! He is usually eat, awake and active, nap for an hour or more. Not so, now. Eat, awake and active but for less time before getting cranky and needing a nap, then napping maybe half an hour before waking up and being cranky again, but its too early to eat, and you can tell he's still tired so you end up working on getting him to nap again...bah.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    slr1229slr1229 member
    edited September 2015
    ^ ugh yup. Second nap of day and she lasted 25 minutes, I fell asleep too and woke up thinking "it's gotta be 3 by now!" Nope, been 25 minutes. It must be the leap they're going through right now (or at least I'm gonna tell myself that). Now what to do until the 3:30 feed?!! Ugh

Edit: and she's crying way more than before when she's usually happy
  • Options
    My LO will sleep for hours if he's on my chest, but wakes up in 15 mins or so if I set him in his crib. The swing is a hit or miss, naps for 5mims - 3 hours.

We are also on a cycle that's been consistent over here the past few weeks, it's wake, eat, play and sleep. Feedings have been 100x better since he started eating after his nap. He's not overtired and frustrated when eating, so he's scarfing less air, and since he plays after eating he's sitting upright so we're keeping things moving in the right direction. He's still eating every 2 hours, but no more tummy aches with frequent feedings! I'm pretty sure he had/has acid reflux.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 my LO was initially not interested in hanging out with me in the rocking chair, after I fed him there a few times now he's a fan. Although i still generally BF laying down, I still try to always burp him there too. That way I sneak some cuddles in while he's still milk drunk. Now he's relaxed when we sit there together and is more likely to cuddle, guess he associates it with 'good times' lol
  • Options
    @slr1229 I got him back to napping and lil sucker just started to cry IN HIS SLEEP! Seriously, dude? You're asleep! Sleep is awesome! What is there to cry about while you're asleep!?!

This whole leap thing sucks. I didn't notice them before because I was still struggling with getting a groove under my belt and it was all hard and stressful all the time for me. Now that I've had a chance to enjoy happy baby, I can totally tell the difference! Ignorance was bliss
  • Options
    @mellymar I totally agree and she's doing the same thing. She has also eaten every 2 hours today because after trying all avenues that's what gets her to stop but then try nap again and nope. Gotta love it. Today, I wish I was a male and at work avoiding this nonsense.
  • Options
    @slr1229 yup. I've been increasing frequency of feedings too.

And - to top it off - DH just informed me that our beverage fridge (the one that holds our craft beer supply) has just died. By some creative rearrangement in our kitchen fridge we were able to move most of our beer into that fridge, but the beer fridge was *actually the better fridge*. Now I'm going to have to call someone to fix it. We have a home warranty thing that covers appliances in the house so I should only have to pay $75, but all the same...ugh
  • Options
    @mellymar I hope you saved the beer!
  • Options
    slr1229 said:

@mellymar I hope you saved the beer!

We were able to save the beer. The kitchen fridge is stuffed
  • Options
    I'm with @dancegurl1118! We're going on 40 minutes in the crib and I'm about to do a happy dance! Usually I'm lucky to get 20. He'll sleep hours in my arms though!
  • Options

Anyone else think these "leaps" are made up and babies are just temperamental tyrants who keep you on your toes?

LOL All the time! My husband thinks every week must be a growth spurt or wonder week because I am always claiming something! I'm beginning to think I over analyze it all. They're just babies being babies.
  • Options
    Yes...... These leaps are just code for "here's an excuse for your baby to be crabby at this age"
    LOL

I do like the science they claim behind it and how it "gets you through " because you watch the days until it ends. Ha.
  • Options
    klkonwi said:

Yes...... These leaps are just code for "here's an excuse for your baby to be crabby at this age"
    LOL

I do like the science they claim behind it and how it "gets you through " because you watch the days until it ends. Ha.

Honestly, I just downloaded the wonders weeks and I think I liked it more when I didn't know what was happening. Ignorance is bliss!
  • Options
    LO is all about grabbing everything around her and now that includes sticking her arms through the crib slats when she is hanging out in her crib..and then gets it stuck and cries. Any suggestions on how to solve this without bumpers? It doesn't matter how far away I put her she does it on the other side. Or do I just let it happen for the sake of her exploring?
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 Would you object to breathable crib bumpers?
  • Options
    My guy scoots himself so his arms are out as well. I just say "oh well"