June 2015 Moms
Options

Daytime sucks!

Our days are longer than our nights right now, since LO wants to be active and never nap between 11 and 5.

How are you all surviving the daytime?

I try to take one trip a day between 11 and 2 to break up the day. Car rides most of the time put LO to sleep. Then I find a drive thru and eat lunch because she won't stay asleep at home long enough to eat typically. Ps I've gained back some weight, no surprise based on my eating habits.

Re: Daytime sucks!

• Options
    The early evenings are the toughest for us. LO usually wakes up from a nap around 5, and she goes to bed at 7:30. It's too short of a time to get her to nap, so we keep her up for almost 3 hours straight. During the end she starts to get a little fussy because she's tired, but the hardest part is somehow entertaining her for 3 hours. What on earth do you do with a baby for that long?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Big daytime wins lately:

-finally got LO's swing set up yesterday, and he mostly loves it! Trying not to overuse it

-he loves people watching. He sat on my lap for a half hour today in the park, watching people walk by and children at the playground.

-He looooves baths. Another half hour is easily spent in the tub. And is the only thing that will stop his crying during his (thankfully decreasing in frequency) witching hours

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wondered when someone would start this topic. I feel like I just focus on trying to make it through each day. He barely ever naps. He doesn't even sleep in the car or stroller. Pretty much at all times I am either nursing him, trying to soothe his crying or trying to get him down for a nap. All day, every day.
  • Options

I wondered when someone would start this topic. I feel like I just focus on trying to make it through each day. He barely ever naps. He doesn't even sleep in the car or stroller. Pretty much at all times I am either nursing him, trying to soothe his crying or trying to get him down for a nap. All day, every day.

i feel you there. the only thing this kid does when awake is eat or fuss cause he has to burp. his short 5-10 minute naps make it impossible to get anything done.
  • Options

My LO still eats every 2-3 hours, so my days are broken up fairly effectively by that schedule alone. It takes him an hour to eat (boobs and bottle), then I'll change him and go wash his bottle out, and change him again (he always pees again right after he has been changed), then spend some time hanging out and talking or activity mat, anywhere 20-45 minutes usually. Then he's ready for a nap, which when he wakes up again 1 to 1 1/2 hours later, its time to eat again. Rinse, repeat. The downside to this is that its damned near impossible for me to nap, because I have such a hard time falling asleep, and I get little sleep overnight, as well.

I'm pretty fortunate in that once I began to understand him better he set this routine into place and I just roll with it. I don't mind hanging out at home solo, so that's what we do usually. I am usually able to eat lunch at some point, and eat something in the evening as well, but I haven't yet made it to where I can feel confident about cooking something and having time to eat it. Lunch or dinner is usually a sandwich or a microwave dinner - something fast and easy. Or lunch or dinner may just be a large serving of snacks that I eat when breastfeeding because he for some reason has decided not to nap for a few hours.

I do plan on doing walks, it's just been hot up here recently and by the time it cools enough in the evening I'm wiped by the day and just waiting for bedtime. I'm more likely to walk in the late morning or early afternoon. Also, once he gets his first vaccines, I'll start going to the library kids program and check that out, maybe meet some other moms (or sit in a corner, lol)

Of course, I feel a lot like most of you are WAY ahead of me and LO time wise, he is still only 8 weeks as of yesterday, so i feel like a lot of things happening to most of you (longer sleep stretches at night, larger amounts being fed, longer times awake, etc) are going to happen to me eventually. 2 weeks from now could find me with a kid who doesn't want to nap midday... we'll see

(All of this describes my days when i am home alone with LO, when DH is on duty. When DH is off duty and home, its a different game. We're more likely to go somewhere just to go somewhere, tho we do time it within the routine, usually leaving right after a feeding to maximize our success rate)

• Options
    i feel you there. the only thing this kid does when awake is eat or fuss cause he has to burp. his short 5-10 minute naps make it impossible to get anything done.

Yeah, in relation to feeling like everybody is ahead of me and LO... this was me about 3 weeks ago. So hopefully you'll be where i am soon
  • Options
    I'm definitely finding daytime harder than nighttime at the moment. It's not too bad but towards the evening before DH gets home, I find that LO is cranky and I'm starting to get tired. Plus I'm trying to get out of the house more so I don't go stir crazy, and that can get LO riled up.

But week by week it's getting a little better.
  • Options
    The worst for me lately is the witching hour which didn't happen until 10 weeks and coincided with both of us going back to work.
    I do lots of tummy time, people watching, and we like walks.
    Lo only takes cat naps from 10 or 11 to 8. But I can handle it if she continues to sleep 12 to 14 hrs at night.
  • Options
    A few times a week we'll venture out to the mall or the library with my mommy group. When that happens, she's usually sleepy for the afternoon - I guess being out and about exhausts her, haha. She LOVES watching the other babies/toddlers in the group!

On other days, we hang out at home and she's much more alert. She loves when I sing to her so I spend pretty much the whole day singing, no matter what we're doing lol. I'm predicting that this girl is going to be heavily involved in music when she goes to school, whether it's through band, chorus, or musicals, or some combination of the three! I also read to her, usually when I'm trying to help her get to sleep since that's when she sits sill the best. I think she is already paying attention when I do - she can't understand the stories yet, obviously, but her eyes are glued to the book and she likes to hear my voice as I'm reading to her.
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

Am I the only one who needs a a break after an hour or two of playtime? I feel like a bad parent that I find it boring after a while (not the smiles... Those I never tire of).

LO has been up since 530 am... It's been 4.5 hours of entertaining her and I'm exhausted!

I miss the days where she napped a bit more ;)

ETA I realized that part of my exhaustion is holding her that whole time. I think if I crack that nut I'll be in good shape. Maybe try baby wearing again?

I'm always tired! LO is actually really easy going but it is hard to care for a baby when you are exhausted!
  • Options
    Yeah same here, LO has a great disposition! It could be so much worse!
  • Options
    I get tired too and my LO is super easy going, but eventually I feel like I run out of songs and get tired of reading books. That's when we usually go somewhere! Haha
  • Options
    My LO still eats every 2.5-3 hours and naps for 1-1.5 hours after every feed/wake cycle.
  • Options
    Is it terrible that my LO can sit and stare at the tv for about 30-45min before she starts fussing.... I hate that she's already content with watching television at such a young age but any other time when she's not in my arms she's only happy for 10-15 min. I usually put on a baby TV channel and let her watch it once throughout the day while I do something productive like laundry or cleaning since I feel like the rest of the day while she is awake I have to be holding her or at least sitting right next to her to talk with her(she LOVES when I just sit there and talk to her!!!)
  • Options
    The nap god giveth and the nap god taketh away. Super fussy today. And last night. I wonder if she can sense my anxiety about the bottle feeding. I just ordered two more types hoping she will take one :((
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

Am I the only one who needs a a break after an hour or two of playtime? I feel like a bad parent that I find it boring after a while (not the smiles... Those I never tire of).

LO has been up since 530 am... It's been 4.5 hours of entertaining her and I'm exhausted!

ETA I realized that part of my exhaustion is holding her that whole time. I think if I crack that nut I'll be in good shape. Maybe try baby wearing again?

By the end of the day, I am definitely tired of singing lol. And pregnant me thought I'd have all this time to read during naptime...NOPE!
  • Options
    kes166 said:

hoodoll82 said:

By the end of the day, I am definitely tired of singing lol. And pregnant me thought I'd have all this time to read during naptime...NOPE!
    I thought this too! I've literally read the beginning of the same book 3 times because I'm so tired I can't remember what I've read! So ridiculous!
  • Options
    ^^ The only "parenting book" I've started is called Bringing Up Bebe. It's written by an American woman who had her daughter in France and realized how patient and different French children are. They can sit through a dinner while adults talk, they don't interrupt, etc. It's fascinating to think of the way different cultures impact things like this.
  • Options
    i fell asleep with LO on me and i was out for an hour and a half. there goes my free time to myself for today. -_-
  • Options
    My LO doesn't play by herself very long at 8 weeks and likes to be held 24/7 but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the pedi still has t gotten her reflux meds right so she always has a belly ache ...wish I had it a little easier bc here I am rocking belly ached baby in front of the stove fan while she cries to sleep! It sucks!!
  • Options
    Update: LO was awake for 11.5 freakin hours, 530 am to 5 pm. I can't believe I made it! I'm hoping it was just because she had a long night of sleep the night before.
  • Options

amccoy129 said:

So I've been reading articles on the "parenting crisis in America". Basically, there's new mentality that parenting only became a verb in the past couple decades. And even though women work outside the home more now than ever before, they are spending more time with their babies now. So this constant, um, parenting is OF COURSE exhausting. And it's leading to spoiled children (helloooo, Millenials), unhappy parents ("daytime sucks"!), and basically no one is benefitting.

So let the kid sit and stare at a wall for a while. Paint your nails, take a bath, watch tv, go to work. Whatever! Stop reading the books, stop using guiding theories, and just be normal and listen to your elders because they are smarter and more normal than the shelves full of parenting theories.

This is my new parenting theory and guiding principle as I continue to read The books and articles, take 7 months off, and spend every waking moment with LO. :-@ :-\"

Honestly, some of these threads were making me feel horrible because we have playtime each time he's awake, but I will sit him in his swing that faces a window and get shit done. He's happy and I'm happy, I'm a SAHM too. I also probably suck because we have some sort of baby manual that a friend gave us and what to expect the first year that we use as resources, but apart from that & Google, I've read no books. My kid seems as happy and well adjusted as any other 2 month old, so I'm going to keep rolling with it!

ETA: I'm sitting right next to LO currently but he is on his play mat happily "talking" to the owl and monkey rattles above him
    Yeah, honestly, these are kinda like "first world problems" but "first kid problems." I read moms on here who never get a chance to eat lunch or throw in a load of laundry and I remember that but now... those things are non-negotiable. I find time to make a sandwich every day because I HAVE to make two other sandwiches, not to mention refill milks, slice apples, and get yogurts. I have to do laundry because my kids are boys and its summer and they destroy at least one outfit a day. I have to do dishes or we'll run out of milk cups and the right kind of spoons and red bowls for one kid and square bowls for the other. Your life stops for that first kid but the others have to squeeze their way into the chaos.

I'm not trying to say my life is harder or offer advice because I wouldn't have believed it either but just put that baby down and get shit done, man.
    So my question is, when you are doing these things and baby is crying, does he just need to cry a few minutes so you can get stuff done? This is where I get stuck because he can't just sit alone but content. I don't know if it is ok just to let him cry a few minutes while I make dinner or do laundry. I can't just wear him all the time since it kills my back.
  • Options
    IMHO I would just let baby cry for a few while I get stuff done if absolutely necessary. I start early leaving LO alone in the room a few minutes by herself. This way I can build up her trust that I'll always come back. If she starts squawking I go check on her or talk to her from the other room. When you have more than one kid the LO is forced into a go with the flow mentality.
  • Options
    @ChardeeMacDennis AMEN!! (I'm still a little irritated that this second baby is refusing naps though) ;)
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

Am I the only one

mellymar said:

I definitely leave baby to cry for a few minutes sometimes while I finish a sandwich or unloading the dishwasher, sure. I do talk to him as I'm doing it so he knows I'm there, but if I've only got 3 minutes left of kitchen cleaning going on, the kid can wait a few. Also, my 'parenting style' books I have read amount to one - the Mayo Clinic's Guide to Baby's First Year. I'm one of those people who would rather know what is happening developmentally (ex - "this month your baby's eyesight is developing and they can see farther. They are also learning to vocalize and recognize sounds") and kind of building my activities with him around that (it does recommend things to do with baby). I adopted the EASY routine after I read some of you talk about it, but more so because he fell into that routine almost on his own.

Too many conflicting theories on parenting just clutter my mind and stress me out. I really just want to know how to help him develop (ex - "now is a good time to introduce bright colors" or "your face is the best toy right now") and go with the flow from there. Maybe that makes me a bad mom, I dunno. But women have been having babies without parenting books for ages before now, so I'll deal

This=thumbs up

• Options
    I NEED HELP -_- this kid wont sleep anywhere longer than 5-10 minutes unless he is on my chest. its sweet and i love him but i cant get anything done during the day. how do i get this kid to actually nap anywhere else but on me? X_X im about to lose my mind
  • Options
    Have you tried a swing and white noise? That's our go-to...
  • Options

I NEED HELP -_- this kid wont sleep anywhere longer than 5-10 minutes unless he is on my chest. its sweet and i love him but i cant get anything done during the day. how do i get this kid to actually nap anywhere else but on me? X_X im about to lose my mind

My LO is the same way during the day she hates swing, mamaroo and rock n play the only thing is the bouncer but if I'm not there bouncing it she flip s it sucks oh and she hates the car ugh bummer
  • Options
    JessHeppellJessHeppell member
    edited August 2015
    hoodoll82 said:

ive tried everything. as soon as i go to move him after he has fallen asleep and unlatched himself his eyes shoot open and he is hungry again.

eta missed some words
  • Options

hoodoll82 said:

ive tried everything. as soon as i go to move him after he has fallen asleep and unlatched himself his eyes shoot open and he is hungry again.

eta missed some words
    Have you tried co sleeping with him? Sometimes if LO is having a hard time going down I do the side lie breastfeed and co sleep with her a little until she is in a deeper sleep. I can then transfer her to her crib.
  • Options
    @JessHeppell have you tried wearing LO in a carrier? That way he can still be on your chest and hear your heartbeat but you can have free hands. I use the ergo for that.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 i dont have a carrier, i havent gotten one yet. but at this point i think im going to have to.
    @lovethatcolosun we cosleep at night and in the day ill often just lay in bed with him all day only getting up to grab some type of food, because anytime i get up even when he is in his deeper sleep, he just wakes up shortly after.