April 2016 Moms
Options

GTKY: What do you and your SO do for a living?

Tell us! What do you and your SO spend your days slaving away at?

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
BFP #3 11/2015, CP
BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

Re: GTKY: What do you and your SO do for a living?

• Options
    I'm a SAHM to my almost two year old DS and I work from home publishing, editing and managing a Macaroni Kid website, newsletter and social media pages. LOVE Macaroni Kid!

DH is a self described artist extraordinaire/computer geek. He's a self taught software engineer and writes code all day long. Sounds boring to me, but he loves his job.

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• Options
    I'm a middle school technology teacher by day and a wedding/portrait photographer by night!
    Here is my FB page if you are interested (not trying to sell my services, just thought I'd share!): https://www.facebook.com/HollyHaddadPhotography
    I love that teaching gives me flexibility to have time to do something I'm passionate about!

DH is an engineer who is a facilities manager at a local hospital.  I feel bad for him as he is under a ton of pressure (codes/regulations etc) and got this "promotion" sans compensation as an "or else find a new job" kind of deal.  He likes (most) of the people he works with, but I'd love for him to do something he loves!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    dayzchic9 said:
    I'm a middle school technology teacher by day and a wedding/portrait photographer by night!
    Here is my FB page if you are interested (not trying to sell my services, just thought I'd share!): https://www.facebook.com/HollyHaddadPhotography
    I love that teaching gives me flexibility to have time to do something I'm passionate about!

DH is an engineer who is a facilities manager at a local hospital.  I feel bad for him as he is under a ton of pressure (codes/regulations etc) and got this "promotion" sans compensation as an "or else find a new job" kind of deal.  He likes (most) of the people he works with, but I'd love for him to do something he loves!

I was trying and trying and trying to get into teaching before DS arrived. I got a masters in NY, moved back to MA and took a crappy paying 1-1 aide job in a great district here. My principal loved me and encouraged me to apply for teaching positions for the next year and then I found out I was pregnant and would need to miss the first two months of the next school year. There went that! After DS was born I had NO motivation to go back to that low paying position so all my money would go to daycare and I didn't want to job search and deal with new teacher stuff with a newborn. So I gave up. And I don't regret it! Although, I do think I would have gone back if we had family close by to watch DS or if I had an already established career and classroom.

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• Options
    Hi! I am a third grade teacher at an elementary school. I love the flexibility I have with extended leaves for maternity, vacations, etc. Last year was a dream because I job shared with someone. I felt great doing what I love but with extra days at home with my DS. This year I will be back to full time until April then I will take a leave for the rest of the school year and then the following school year as well. 

My husband has two small businesses and is usually crazy busy! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options

I quit my job in banking when DD was 8 months old and started substitute teaching part-time and staying home part-time.  These days I clean a few houses a week, substitute during the school year (elementary) and stay home with DD.  Hopefuly after LO is born- we can afford for me to do the same.

DH works at Pinnacle Foods and has been there about 5 years.  He works 3rd shift and has for years.  Days is looking bright for him in the next year or 2.  It'll be hard with a baby and a toddler to tackle the nights with but it's all I've ever known. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Hi! My husband and I are both lawyers. We work at the same civil defense firm. We love our jobs and it's how we met so lots to be thankful for career wise! Long hours, but I am pretty flexible - I leave Monday's and Tuesdays at 1-3 PM. Husband works more traditional hours.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a Product Manager for a large online payments company and have been here for almost 7 years. First job out of college and still going :)

DH is a Project/Admin Coordinator for a division of NASA. He's still fairly new (started in May), but it's the first full time employee position since getting out of the Navy 4 years ago. His other jobs were temp/contract positions with hardly any forward opportunities. He's also going to school in the evenings to get his Associates Degree and eventual BA. Fx!

Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    St0v3sSt0v3s member
    I am an ABA therapist. Not sure how it's going to work being pregnant and working with the kids. I'm looking for jobs now to be on the safe side. I doubt I'm going to return back to the field after baby because of the hours and the stress.

My DH is prior military and works for the DOD as a civilian.

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    St0v3s said:
    I am an ABA therapist. Not sure how it's going to work being pregnant and working with the kids. I'm looking for jobs now to be on the safe side. I doubt I'm going to return back to the field after baby because of the hours and the stress. My DH is prior military and works for the DOD as a civilian.
    What kind of setting do you work in? With my first pregnancy, I worked in a school with a kid who was prone to violent outbursts. I had A LOT of help and support from my coworkers so that I was never in a dangerous situation

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• Options
    DH and I are both teachers. I teach middle school (specifically 6th grade science last year and this upcoming year, but in the past it has been 6th and 7th grade social studies). DH teaches AP high school government and is the boys varsity soccer coach. DD was born right in the middle of soccer season, so this LO will be great to come after season and I also won't need to go back to work until next school year.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Wow lots of teachers here! I was also an elementary teacher before having my first and now I'm a SAHM. My husband was in the military and now works in the agriculture field.
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM to our 21 month old DD and my my husband is in the financial field.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    St0v3sSt0v3s member
    edited July 2015
    KDHB13 said:

St0v3s said:

I am an ABA therapist. Not sure how it's going to work being pregnant and working with the kids. I'm looking for jobs now to be on the safe side. I doubt I'm going to return back to the field after baby because of the hours and the stress.

My DH is prior military and works for the DOD as a civilian.

What kind of setting do you work in? With my first pregnancy, I worked in a school with a kid who was prone to violent outbursts. I had A LOT of help and support from my coworkers so that I was never in a dangerous situation

I work in the home. So I'm by myself outside of the parents for majority of the time and the way my company is set up they don't like for parents to intervene during behaviors. And while we have restraints their unwritten policy is we haven't used restraints in the 2 years we have been open and would like to keep it like that. Also my company is very shady. They require you to quit when having a baby

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

• Options
    @st0v3s That's wicked shady! How is that legal?

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• Options
    jdey22jdey22 member
    I am an elementary teacher. I have been teaching second grade but this year I will be teaching 3rd. A little nervous attacking a new grade with my first pregnancy. My husband is in sales.
  • Options
    St0v3sSt0v3s member
    edited July 2015
    @KDHB13 Because they don't have 50 people so by law they don't have to follow FMLA. They make you turn in a letter when you are ready to go out on leave and say if we ended on good times we can rehire you when you want to come back. But with what we do in home it's hard especially if you plan on BF the LO

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

• Options
    I own my own business but am mainly staying at home now and will be fill time starting in January. DH is the CFO of an oilfield services company and also has a ranch in Texas.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Options
    My husband and I are both in property insurance and manage teams. His job is 90% travel and I took an office position earlier this year when we knew we wanted to start trying for baby.
  • Options
    Me: Cardiologist
    Hubs: Web Developer/ UX designer
  • Options
    I manage a master's program and H is a software engineer.
  • Options

I'm an English professor and an author. DH is a nanotech and biotech engineer. 

@St0v3s I have a brother and sister who are both ABA therapists. My brother works with children and my sister with developmentally delayed adults.  

BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • Options
    I am a SAHM to our 14 month old son and I'm trying to grow my blog to become a source of (minor, haha) income. I love, love, love blogging and writing, and since it's making no money at this point, it's a hobby.
    My husband is a diesel mechanic!
  • Options
    My hubby and I are both teachers. I teach French and he teaches 6th grade.
  • Options
    I'm a dental hygienist, and my husband is director of sales for a small company. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Brandi81012Brandi81012 member
    edited July 2015
    I am a pediatric nurse and my DH works for the Union Pacific Railroad.

Eta grammar and words are hard
  • Options
    I'm a resident physician (family medicine) and hubs is an oil and gas attorney

• Options
    Mostly a sahm to our busy 11 month old, but I work during his naps from home as a Vocational Counselor. It's a pretty sweet gig. My husband is a Mechanical Engineer at a local company.
  • Options
    cchild101010cchild101010 member
    edited July 2015
    @morganmanages - are/were you part of the May 14 group?
    <image>
  • Options
    I'm a Pilates instructor and am currently studying for the NASM certified personal trainer exam. I take my 14 month old dd to work with me occasionally until DH gets off work. We work 1/2 mile apart. He is in sales for an international b2b company.
    <image>
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM to our almost 18 month old. DH is a government contractor, which means he's working out of country more than not.
  • Options
    jen fjen f member
    Currently I'm a student taking a medical clerk program and Dh works as a heavy equipment operator.
  • Options
    I am a teacher (8th grade English), and DH is a network admin (professional computer nerd). I'm planning to take the rest of the school year off after this LO is born. I feel a little bit guilty because when DD was born I was subbing, so I was home with her for nine months, and this LO won't get as long.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    I'm a HS Algebra teacher. DH is a jr high teacher and coach. Glad this baby is due at the end of track season so he can help out a little more. DD was born during basketball season and he was so busy.
  • Options
    I'm a neurologist (I subspecialize in epilepsy) and my SO is in business information systems. We frequently have entire conversations that involve neither of us knowing what the other one is talking about! I'm thrilled things have worked out "on schedule" for us since we've waited years for me to finish school and residency to start trying!
  • Options
    I am a veterinarian and DH is an accountant.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm an architect and love my job. DH is an army vet and firefighter. I think he loves his job more than he loves me! (Just kidding :) )
  • Options
    I went to school for Kinesiology Pre-PA but decided to stay home with our daughter instead of going to grad school. Maybe when all the kids are in school I'll go back. In the mean time, I'm a SAHM to my almost 14 month old and do daycare for a little boy who turns 1 next week.

My husband is a chemist at a branch of BASF. They make "landscape coatings" aka the color for mulch, playground rubber, etc.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    I am a certified veterinary technician for the local humane society and my husband is group lead/chemist for a company that makes alternative fuels and biodegradable plastics among other things

• Options
    I'm a SAHM mom and Dh is is a territory sales rep for a trucking company.
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic