July 2015 Moms
Options

Vaccines

12346»

Re: Vaccines

• Options

@Katie Park‌ This person you are going back and forth with is a master manipulator of discussions. Before all of the "mean girls" left, she was shut down several times for trying to start arguments when it wasn't even warranted. Funny that she accused you of changing the subject when that's what she does constantly. She picks and chooses what she wants to respond to and will ALWAYS have the last word. Honestly, after several days, I can't believe this thread is still going. Kudos to you!

Oh trust me I realized this. But I'm just as stubborn so I can go all day! Hehe But honestly it isn't worth my time any more. She will have a response for everything because she knows everything and is always right. Its like trying to reason with a brick wall. She has already said a couple times she's done with this discussion yet she keeps coming back. Hmmmm interesting.....

And in response to her last post....I honestly think the reason this has been as "civilized" as it has been is because people, including me, aren't willing to get banned over something as stupid as saying what we really think. So not worth it.

I entered this thread genuinely wanting to hear other people's opinions. I knew I wasn't going to agree with them all but I hoped to find some new sources to read and consider. My first post was me playing freaking devil's advocate for pete sake! I tried to hold my tongue as long as possible but couldn't stand it anymore.

I would have loved to see some of the threads when the "mean girls" were here.
    Please excuse typos....auto correct hates me. =)

Married 8.17.12
    Anniversary 
    DD Born 9.23.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerDS Born 7.15.15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    p_and_a said:

Ladies, does this misguided view sound familiar? 

Scientists may say that brakes save lives, but virtually every car-wreck co-occurs with panicked braking -- did you know that in the old days, cars didn't have brakes?

It's true: engine braking was once the norm. And back then, I've heard there were a lot fewer automotive fatalities (and there were none involving brakes, because there weren't any brakes!). Mechanics get paid to service our brakes; they make our cars sick (brakes can warp your rotors) and then charge us money to repair them. Everyone knows that mechanics, as a class, are crooked -- why wouldn't they do this if they could get away with it?

The government wants to force you to have brakes, but brakes or no brakes is a personal decision. Do your research and make your own decision, for you and your family. 

So I talked to my Mechanic about taking the brakes off my car and I was disgusted by how poorly he treated me. He accused me of being ignorant, when I was the one that looked up how much rotational torque brakes can put on your rotors. He didn’t even know how much torque a rotor can take before being warped!!! He said “rotors are designed to be compressed, that it isn’t actually a problem” just completely dismissing me.

Then he had the NERVE to say that my personal choice had consequences, that I would affect everyone around me. Well I’ve had it with him, I’m looking for a new mechanic. The problem is that so many mechanics are bought and paid by the automotive industry that ALL of them are insistent about my car having brakes. Most of them won’t even look at my car for other reasons, saying that a brakeless car could cause damage to their shop and other cars. What a bunch of bullshit, they just don’t like those who believe in alternative braking techniques.

Now of course big government is getting involved, saying that I *MUST* have brakes. That this isn’t just about me, and that I could hurt people. What happened to personal freedom? What happened to liberty?
    This is hilarious and a great response to the information and sources I cited. You guys are doing a fabulous job of ignoring that information. :wink: Keep on keeping on ladies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mamamads said:
    Ladies, does this misguided view sound familiar? 

Scientists may say that brakes save lives, but virtually every car-wreck co-occurs with panicked braking -- did you know that in the old days, cars didn't have brakes? It's true: engine braking was once the norm. And back then, I've heard there were a lot fewer automotive fatalities (and there were none involving brakes, because there weren't any brakes!). Mechanics get paid to service our brakes; they make our cars sick (brakes can warp your rotors) and then charge us money to repair them. Everyone knows that mechanics, as a class, are crooked -- why wouldn't they do this if they could get away with it? The government wants to force you to have brakes, but brakes or no brakes is a personal decision. Do your research and make your own decision, for you and your family. 

So I talked to my Mechanic about taking the brakes off my car and I was disgusted by how poorly he treated me. He accused me of being ignorant, when I was the one that looked up how much rotational torque brakes can put on your rotors. He didn’t even know how much torque a rotor can take before being warped!!! He said “rotors are designed to be compressed, that it isn’t actually a problem” just completely dismissing me. Then he had the NERVE to say that my personal choice had consequences, that I would affect everyone around me. Well I’ve had it with him, I’m looking for a new mechanic. The problem is that so many mechanics are bought and paid by the automotive industry that ALL of them are insistent about my car having brakes. Most of them won’t even look at my car for other reasons, saying that a brakeless car could cause damage to their shop and other cars. What a bunch of bullshit, they just don’t like those who believe in alternative braking techniques. Now of course big government is getting involved, saying that I *MUST* have brakes. That this isn’t just about me, and that I could hurt people. What happened to personal freedom? What happened to liberty?
    This is hilarious and a great response to the information and sources I cited. You guys are doing a fabulous job of ignoring that information. :wink: Keep on keeping on ladies!
    I'm sorry, but you still have not done your homework.  I cannot properly respond to your cited sources when you don't ACTUALLY go back to your prior discussions and add the citations for each point you are attempting to defend.  As I said before, if you care enough to defend your points you would do this.  Good day.
    Anniversary
    EDD: July 13, 2015 • Team Blue
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

@Katie Park‌ This person you are going back and forth with is a master manipulator of discussions. Before all of the "mean girls" left, she was shut down several times for trying to start arguments when it wasn't even warranted. Funny that she accused you of changing the subject when that's what she does constantly. She picks and chooses what she wants to respond to and will ALWAYS have the last word. Honestly, after several days, I can't believe this thread is still going. Kudos to you!

Oh trust me I realized this. But I'm just as stubborn so I can go all day! Hehe But honestly it isn't worth my time any more. She will have a response for everything because she knows everything and is always right. Its like trying to reason with a brick wall. She has already said a couple times she's done with this discussion yet she keeps coming back. Hmmmm interesting.....

And in response to her last post....I honestly think the reason this has been as "civilized" as it has been is because people, including me, aren't willing to get banned over something as stupid as saying what we really think. So not worth it.

I entered this thread genuinely wanting to hear other people's opinions. I knew I wasn't going to agree with them all but I hoped to find some new sources to read and consider. My first post was me playing freaking devil's advocate for pete sake! I tried to hold my tongue as long as possible but couldn't stand it anymore.

I would have loved to see some of the threads when the "mean girls" were here.
    The reason I keep discussing this is because it is something that I feel passionate about not because it's something I feel I know everything about. And when people point blank ask me questions I will usually answer them if I have an answer. Because no, I didn't come to these conclusions reading conspiracy blogs and a Jenny McCarthy book.
    The reason this thread is civil is because of the new TOU because trust me pro vaccine people get extremely ugly and nasty during these discussions 9 times out of 10. (Obviously I understand why) Not sure if they are still there but use the search bar for the flu shot.. There were some crazy posts not Too long ago that will blow your mind.
  • Options
    OK, after reading this whole thread, cattiness aside, I am coming round to the idea of vaccinating, at least some of them anyway. My problem is that my husband is VERY anti-vaxx, even before I got pregnant he would show me documentaries about vaccine-injured kids. I've brought up partial vaccination with him before and all he says is he could never forgive himself if our child (due in 4 months) suffered a vaccine injury. I totally understand this as neither could I and although the chances of this happening are rare/low it is still someone's child that happens to. At the same time, I don't want our kid to wind up in hospital with whooping cough or seriously ill from measles.
    My husband believes that even if you catch whopping cough/measles there is medication to take and you can fight it at home.
    I don't know how we're going to come to an agreement on what to do. It is really stressing me out. Any ideas??
  • Options
    legwarmer said:

OK, after reading this whole thread, cattiness aside, I am coming round to the idea of vaccinating, at least some of them anyway. My problem is that my husband is VERY anti-vaxx, even before I got pregnant he would show me documentaries about vaccine-injured kids. I've brought up partial vaccination with him before and all he says is he could never forgive himself if our child (due in 4 months) suffered a vaccine injury. I totally understand this as neither could I and although the chances of this happening are rare/low it is still someone's child that happens to. At the same time, I don't want our kid to wind up in hospital with whooping cough or seriously ill from measles.
    My husband believes that even if you catch whopping cough/measles there is medication to take and you can fight it at home.
    I don't know how we're going to come to an agreement on what to do. It is really stressing me out. Any ideas??

Information, information. What you read here is very trivial to the amount of information available regarding vaccines and their safety. Honestly your husband isn't wrong we are fortunate enough to live in a time and place that God forbid your child were to catch a disease it wouldn't be a death sentence. Has anyone died yet in this measles outbreak? Can you say without a doubt your newborn won't be allergic to the Ingredients in the hepB shot in the hospital? Sounds like maybe delayed vaccines could be a compromise. I would just ask your husband to show you solid proof of his reasons why he feels it's the wrong choice And really challenge him on it, this is what I did for my husband when I was pregnant who was very pro vaccines and vice versa. You have to just do what you feel is best, it's nobodies decision to make besides your husband and yours.
  • Options
    legwarmer said:

I also recommend doing your own research. Yet I would stay away from documentaries on both sides of the issue. Documentaries are notorious for being bias and one sided. They are more propaganda than a reliable source of information. Instead look for peer reviewed articles that are published in credible medical or scientific publications.

I'd also take a close look at your family history. Has anyone in your family had an adverse reaction to a vaccine? Is anyone allergic to ingredients found in vaccines? Is there a history of health conditions that could make you more susceptible to having a reaction. I have a friend who has a history of Autoimmune diseases in her family so she has chosen not vaccinate because of that. My grandfather was allergic to penicillin so we've always been careful with that but he developed the allergy after being shot in WWII, it wasn't something he was born with. Knowing your family history can be a huge help in making all sorts of decisions when it comes to your health, not just vaccines.

In my personal opinion it sounds like your husband has been swept up in some of the anti-vaxx hype without doing any proper research. So please have him read the research and present a legitimate case why not to vaccinate if that is still where he stands. Don't let his show you documentaries to try to persuade you. Plus you have time to decide. If anything just delay the newborn shots until you guys can come to an agreement.
    Please excuse typos....auto correct hates me. =)

Married 8.17.12
    Anniversary 
    DD Born 9.23.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerDS Born 7.15.15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My oldest who is now 13 ran temps over 104 with his first round of shota. Because he had had 4 (what was recommend) we still have no idea what shot caused the issue.

I refuse to let anyone give my kids more than one shot at a time, and there are some that we opt out of all together.
  • Options
    OK, after reading this whole thread, cattiness aside, I am coming round to the idea of vaccinating, at least some of them anyway. My problem is that my husband is VERY anti-vaxx, even before I got pregnant he would show me documentaries about vaccine-injured kids. I've brought up partial vaccination with him before and all he says is he could never forgive himself if our child (due in 4 months) suffered a vaccine injury. I totally understand this as neither could I and although the chances of this happening are rare/low it is still someone's child that happens to. At the same time, I don't want our kid to wind up in hospital with whooping cough or seriously ill from measles. My husband believes that even if you catch whopping cough/measles there is medication to take and you can fight it at home. I don't know how we're going to come to an agreement on what to do. It is really stressing me out. Any ideas??
    I also recommend doing your own research. Yet I would stay away from documentaries on both sides of the issue. Documentaries are notorious for being bias and one sided. They are more propaganda than a reliable source of information. Instead look for peer reviewed articles that are published in credible medical or scientific publications. I'd also take a close look at your family history. Has anyone in your family had an adverse reaction to a vaccine? Is anyone allergic to ingredients found in vaccines? Is there a history of health conditions that could make you more susceptible to having a reaction. I have a friend who has a history of Autoimmune diseases in her family so she has chosen not vaccinate because of that. My grandfather was allergic to penicillin so we've always been careful with that but he developed the allergy after being shot in WWII, it wasn't something he was born with. Knowing your family history can be a huge help in making all sorts of decisions when it comes to your health, not just vaccines. In my personal opinion it sounds like your husband has been swept up in some of the anti-vaxx hype without doing any proper research. So please have him read the research and present a legitimate case why not to vaccinate if that is still where he stands. Don't let his show you documentaries to try to persuade you. Plus you have time to decide. If anything just delay the newborn shots until you guys can come to an agreement.
    this x1000. documentaries are purposefully sway you in one direction or the other. they twist facts to be able to make their point, and they complete ignore relevant pieces of information that could disprove their point. i would do your own research from reputable sources (CDC, WHO, etc.) and avoid .com sites and mommy blogs (unless they are citing their sources from credible places). like PP said, figure out your family history for allergies and vaccine reactions. research the pros and cons of delaying vaccines or selectively vaccinating. also look in to day cares and schools in you area, and see what you would need to do to enroll your child if you chose not to vaccinate. take all of that information and discuss with your doctor what your best options are. and while most of us are more than happy to share our beliefs and the reasoning behind them, no one on here can tell you what the best choice for your family is.
  • Options
    legwarmer said:
    OK, after reading this whole thread, cattiness aside, I am coming round to the idea of vaccinating, at least some of them anyway. My problem is that my husband is VERY anti-vaxx, even before I got pregnant he would show me documentaries about vaccine-injured kids. I've brought up partial vaccination with him before and all he says is he could never forgive himself if our child (due in 4 months) suffered a vaccine injury. I totally understand this as neither could I and although the chances of this happening are rare/low it is still someone's child that happens to. At the same time, I don't want our kid to wind up in hospital with whooping cough or seriously ill from measles. My husband believes that even if you catch whopping cough/measles there is medication to take and you can fight it at home. I don't know how we're going to come to an agreement on what to do. It is really stressing me out. Any ideas??
    @legwarmer you might want to show your husband this article, it's about a previously anti-vax family who totally changed their mind when their son got tetanus.  https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/06/06/3776327.htm
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10860122

I get what he is saying about never being able to forgive himself if his child ended up having an extreme reaction to the vaccine, really I get it.  But I guess what he has to ask himself is would he be able to forgive himself if his son/daughter ended up like this boy in the article, or worse?

@mamamads you say we are fortunate enough to live in a time when these diseases aren't a death sentence.  That's debatable, but let's just pretend for arguments sake you are correct, would a parent really wish their child in the hospital for 26 days, of which some of that time he was in a drug induced coma because he was in so much pain.  To have to learn to eat again, walk again to know that recovery will take at least 12 months!  Modern science is great and all, but seeing my 7 old in diapers, with a hole in their throat fighting for their life, I can't even imagine but hey, it's not a death sentence right?
  • Options
    Against for medical reasons, my daughter had a life threatening reaction to her MMR vaccine (not my opinion medical fact that the hospital and her ped agreed was the cause and was reported) my boys had reactions to their first round and had egg allergies (one has outgrown his) but their pediatrician suggested we stop because the risks are too great for them. This baby will be vax free as we don't want to risk another reaction. I also have negative reaction to vaccines, not nearly as severe as my children however.
    For others I'm all for informed choice, making the best possible decision for your child.
  • Options

Mamamads said:

sschwege said:
    Mamamads said:

Mamamads said:

@mrspark812  When I first said that I was referring to that situation in particular. And you are right infants shouldn't have to go to Disneyland and get measles but NEWS FLASH there are people from all over the world there, are there not? Also please share the details on them finding out the start of this outbreak was indeed from someone who chose not to vaccinate. Oh that's right they haven't been able to conclusively identify the source of the outbreak. And yes I referred to parks and day cares because someone else brought those up in examples. I do hope being the responsible and outstanding citizen you are that you keep your children at home following vaccines that have live viruses because they are a threat to infants and people with weak immune systems for several weeks, but I bet you don't because CNN didn't tell you. Here is the thing I will break it down real easy and simple for you. My child is what matters to me and I do not need to inject her/him with something I view as poisonous and unnecessary (even if you think it isn't) to keep your or anyone else's kids safe. Who are you to tell me someone else's life is more valuable than my child's? As a mother you should know you will do anything to protect your children from harm and that is exactly what I am doing and I don't just do that by not vaccinating, I have eliminated the typical toxins and crap American families have no problem giving to their children. So excuse me if I don't see it as my job to sacrifice my child for the sake of the public's health but I will take being selfish over harming my children any day of the week.

So if everyone decided to agree with you or suddenly no one vaccinated their children would U feel ur child was more at risk of catching these diseases? Would you be ok with that? It seems like a bit of a Catch 22. Those who don't vaccinate their children essentially rely on the rest of us to continue vaccinations so that their child benefits from herd immunity. In my honest opinion if you are truly anti vaccines then you should be trying to convince everyone not to vaccinate their children instead of relying on our children to protect yours. I truly hope someday they are able to create vaccinated and unvaccinated classrooms. I don't care if that means the unvaccinated kids are discriminated against. Their parents can explain to them why.
    If you read my previous post I'm basically saying I don't believe in vaccines nor do I think they are necessary to keep diseases away. So no I don't care if everyone didn't vaccinate, we would be a whole lot healthier as a society if we didn't. Would there still be disease? Of course, there always will be but people won't be dying daily in this crazy apocalypse scenario you envision because death isn't always or even usually the outcome of most of these diseases. I truly hope someday vaccines are exposed for the scam that they are and honesty segregated classrooms are a great idea. So while your kids are shedding live viruses they won't infect mine and while they have their 6 or so colds or other illnesses a year they wont be getting my kid sick. But that's theoretical because my children will be home schooled most likely :)
    How do you explain the erradiction of small pox if you don't 'believe' in vaccines? @mamamads
    I wrote out an explanation on this and it somehow evaporated in thin air, hopefully it doesn't happen again. Smallpox had already stopped infecting people in more than 8 out of 10 countries throughout the world when WHO launched a worldwide campaign against small pox in 1967. At that time there were only 131,000 cases worldwide yet the organization still took credit for eliminating the disease. Scarlet fever and the plague infected millions of people, vaccines were never developed for these disease yet the disappeared as well. Several reputable historians credit multiple health activities with reducing incidence and severity of the early problematic diseases including, small pox, plague, dysentery, scarlet fever, typhoid and cholera.These health activities included cleaning streets, backyards and stables, trash removal, construct sewage systems ans properly dispose of human waste, draining swamps, marshes and stagnant pools, purifying water supply and improving roads so food could arrive fresh. Prior to compulsory vaccine legislation small pox outbreaks were regional and self limiting. The most severe epidemic following mandatory shots. In England, from 1870 and 1872, after more than 15 years of forced immunizations and a 98% vaccination rate the largest epidemic of small pox ever recorded maimed and killed thousands of people.This is one of many instances were mass inoculation produced an outbreak, I believe I gave an example of this happening with the polio vaccine in an earlier post.

I just need to point out that scarlet fever, plague, dysentery, cholera and typhoid are all TREATABLE diseases in this day and age and that's why people aren't dying from them anymore (in first world countries)! NOT because they've magically disappeared, my niece had scarlet fever. Measles and polio and smallpox have no treatment this the need for vaccines to these and not the others.

I have a friend who also had a daughter with scarlet fever. All scarlet fever is is strep with a rash

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OP : I will be getting my child vaccinated. I feel he/she is safer with it than without. Both my husband and I have had all our vaccines (being in the military, he's even had some other vaccine that I haven't had... Something that made the injection site blister or something [it's been years, I don't remember exactly... I just know that it was supposed to do whatever it did] and would have been contagious if I had touched it while it was all gross looking... I feel silly not remembering what it was) and had nothing go wrong therefore I have no reason to assume anything would go wrong in our child.
  • Options

Pediatrician here! Discussion is great, but it's important to point out that in the medical world, there is no debate when it comes to vaccines. None. Every legitimate study that uses rigorous transparent scientific standards has found no link to vaccines and all the bad things people imagine. We're talking of millions of children reviewed in academic methods across multiple countries, and no link to autism was ever found in MILLIONS of children. 

There is similarly no benefit in making up a new vaccination schedule. We pediatricians find this to be quite odd behavior in general. There are few other crucial treatment courses that parents opt to make up on their own. We just don't hear things like "I'll just make up my own antibiotic dosing" or "I read something online that says I should space out chemotherapy" or "what if we did the surgery spaced out over several months?" What would be our motives for steering people wrong if we know the best outcomes? Any salaried physician (such as myself) receive absolutely no benefit or compensation for recommending vaccines, past the peace of mind that we helped decrease the risk of illness in your child. 

So for those of you on the fence about this topic (because the experts who have read all the evidence are certainly not on the fence), I ask you this: do you trust your child's physicians? 

It's a tough question, certainly, but I will advocate for pediatricians. After all, we went into this field because we have the best interest of children in mind, and we practice what we preach in our own families. So if it's the best thing for my child, will you allow me to provide the same quality of care to your own?
    This is awesome! I love our pediatrician and trust everything they recommend! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    Father's court fight to get daughters vaccinated

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/oakland-county/huntington-woods-father-in-ongoing-court-fight-to-get-daughters-vaccinated

This is an interested read for both sides of the argument - from our local news.
  • Options
    Saw this on Facebook and it made me laugh....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgpfNScEd3M
  • Options
    @k3taeko that's small pox, my husband had to get it too before he deployed to Iraq ( it's still ugly 5 years later )
  • Options
    Mamamads said:

ellie9933 said:

@mamamads just curious what your reasoning for not vaccinating is? I saw you wrote because vaccines can kill but so can diseases . Look at resources when you say vaccine death is higher than vaccines because that is just not true - I would be skeptical of trusting a .com website

My reason for not vaccinating is because it's unnecessary. I trust in my immune system and don't need to pump myself full of chemicals even though I'm being reassured by the people giving them they are "safe" Do you think they do trials on actual people/Infants to see the immediate effects or effects in 10,20,30 years? I'm fortunate to have access to clean water, healthy food and if needed medical care. Many of these things weren't available when people died from some of these diseases. You are scared of the diseases I am scared of the lasting effects of vaccines that aren't always immediate, once you vaccinate you can't unvaccinate.
    You asked my reasons so I gave them to you, this wasn't written to be challenged by anyone because it won't change my mind nor do I want to debate this issue. It's my choice as vaccinating is yours.
    And for what it's worth I don't get my information from blogs or the huff post.
    Also, the Mmr vaccine has injured and killed more people in the last few years (in America) than measles has.. So well there Ya go. If I can find that source I will glady provide it. I have a library of book on this issues, have discussed with doctors as well. To those saying "science" can't prove vaccine caused a death etc. Tell
    That to the parents whose babies were healthy one minute and gone the next with the only change being vaccines. It's a tiny pure immune system being bombarded by like 6 shots on their first visit and so on, how is it not surprising that can be harmful on someone?
  • Options
    legwarmer said:

Find a pediatrician that both you and your husband trust. They are the medical professionals that will be caring for your baby and they can guide you. Interview as many as you need to until you find the right one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"