July 2015 Moms
Options

Vaccines

I know this is a hot button topic right now but I'm curious as to what you ladies will be doing? For or against? And why?

I personally will be vaccinating my child at the appropriate age. So I guess I'm for it. I'm for it because to me, its protecting them from harm.

Please respect each other's opinions and thoughts.

Re: Vaccines

• Options
    I delay but that's as far as I go on this topic.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We do not vaccinate any longer. My son is vaccine injured. My daughter is unvaccinated and this lo will be as well. I do not share much on this topic because it has caused me a great deal of stress in the past. Guaranteed this thread will turn into a hate fest and self destruct rather quickly...

Haha well with a lot of the extreme nasty ladies gone it may not be that bad.. But we will see. People do tend to get a bit over worked when it comes to this topic and I understand why since it involves our children's health. I just wish people would realize everyone is doing what they think is best and that's really the bottom line. Life is full of risks and chances and illness no need to place the blame. So very sorry about your son btw.

• Options
    p_and_ap_and_a member
    edited February 2015
    @moonrisemama I think the conversation on this thread has been pretty civil so far, per OP's wishes. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Would you be able to tell us what you mean by "vaccine injured?"
    Anniversary
    EDD: July 13, 2015 • Team Blue
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    p_and_ap_and_a member
    edited February 2015
    @Mamamads - I do understand the concern you are posing, however I think the infectious nature of the diseases themselves is far more worrisome; "possibly shed" versus "highly contagious" are two very different concerns. Someone who has received a vaccine can take active steps to avoid those that would be affected (immune compromised people) during the temporary duration of time they are "shedding." However, a disease itself is far more aggressive, contagious, and can strike without warning.
    Anniversary
    EDD: July 13, 2015 • Team Blue
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    p_and_a said:

@Mamamads - I do understand the concern you are posing, however I think the infectious nature of the diseases themselves is far more worrisome; "possibly shed" versus "highly contagious" are two very different concerns. Someone who has received a vaccine can take active steps to avoid those that would be affected (immune compromised people) for the temporary duration of time they are "shedding." However, a disease itself is far more aggressive, contagious, and can strike without warning.

I'm not saying this is a reason I don't vaccinate just that people concerned about keeping other people healthy should be aware of this and realize their vaccinated child is a threat to
    the immune compromised after vaccinating. Or say infecting your infant with one of these disease by your toddler recently being vaccinated and shedding these viruses. I think a lot of people are unaware of this when they are making claims about keeping other children safe by vaccinating their own.
  • Options
    I think it's so true, we all do what we think is best. I wish there was just a clear cut answer that would be best for all our babies. I am really torn on this subject because I just don't know. I see points on both sides. For one, I have severe allergies, which my allergist believes are caused by vaccines. Who knows??
    I think that if I do vaccinate I will space them out and not do so many all at one time.
  • Options
    I am mostly for vaccines.  I want my children protected against scary diseases.  I would like to opt out of the chicken pox vaccine because it's just chicken pox.  But in the future to enroll my kids in school they need to have the vaccine so we're getting that one too.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am mostly for vaccines.  I want my children protected against scary diseases.  I would like to opt out of the chicken pox vaccine because it's just chicken pox.  But in the future to enroll my kids in school they need to have the vaccine so we're getting that one too.

I'm curious where you live because in most places they don't need to be vaccinated for school. You just bring an exemption form with them. I'm homeschooling my kiddos but looked into this before I decided on that.
  • Options

For the record I am very pro vaccines (more on that later) but I want to play devils advocate.......I said the exact same thing about chicken pox to my dad (who was born in 1947 before many common day vaccines were available) and he says that back when he was a kid everyone got measles. It was normal just like people getting the chicken pox now. It took me by surprise that 60 years ago measles was viewed just like the chicken pox now a days. It was just one of those things kids got. No big deal.

Granted I know people die and can have some serious after effects from measles which is why I won't risk DD's health but it really caught me by surprise.
    Please excuse typos....auto correct hates me. =)

Married 8.17.12
    Anniversary 
    DD Born 9.23.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerDS Born 7.15.15

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited February 2015

For the record I am very pro vaccines (more on that later) but I want to play devils advocate.......I said the exact same thing about chicken pox to my dad (who was born in 1947 before many common day vaccines were available) and he says that back when he was a kid everyone got measles. It was normal just like people getting the chicken pox now. It took me by surprise that 60 years ago measles was viewed just like the chicken pox now a days. It was just one of those things kids got. No big deal.

Granted I know people die and can have some serious after effects from measles which is why I won't risk DD's health but it really caught me by surprise.
    Yep this is so true and right now the death tally in the measles outbreak...zero. I think the biggest thing people don't realize is not all the diseases you are vaccinating against are deadly and most Of them once you have them(like chicken pox/measles) you get true immunity and won't get It again. I mean they vaccinate against diarrhea for Christ sakes! Can diarrhea kill someone? Yes in extreme extreme circumstances but will it? Most likely no. Another thing is we are more equipped to help someone who were to get one of these diseases these days with medications and antibiotics because we know far far more about them than we used to. Just something to think about. I would also like to commend you ladies for being able to speak about this in one of the more rational ways I have seen lately, it says a lot about your character to be able to see both sides and look at things objectively. We really all do just want our kids safe and healthy so I hate to see people tear each-other a part over this.
  • Options
    I am pro vaccine but I'm also pro choice. However many of the people I know who are against it have a skewed logic of what a vaccine is. I don't blame them, we naturally fear especially when it comes to our children. But I am in the medical field and have more of an understanding. Let me tell you what I know and let you decide. Back when vaccines where the new thing they were cultured with Mercury! Yikes! (in my opinion the lesser of two evils.) But after seeing the many side effects they changed to egg whites and steam. Unfortunately unlike Mercury these did not preserve the vaccine making it a live virus. So they pumped them full of preservatives in big multi use bottles. (After one use the vaccine would be exposed to air causing the unpreserved state.) and as we now know, preservatives are also NOT GOOD. So now vaccines are in one time use bottles cultued with egg whites and steam. As natural as you can get. And I'm sure over time they will continue to get better.
  • Options
    I'm with @hpanabaker‌. My son has all his vaccines except for chicken pox. I actually did research and I found that the first people who got the vaccine are now in their late 20s. I could not find anything out about possible shingles cases or if there was a booster needed as these poeple got older, and seeing that they are still being studied, its not sure what chances they have with shingles. Then again... Maybe this is why he should have the vaccine.

If school requires it, I will have him get it, but until then I'll see if he catches it before hand.
  • Options
    Mamamads said:

I am the only one that I know of on here who is against, nobody else has voiced their opinions otherwise. I do understand the crazy debate raging right now due to the measles "outbreak" but it's really scary to think about potentially not having the choice to opt out of certain vaccines.. That is just absolutely insane and goes against our freedoms. I understand the motivation behind the idea but what many don't understand is that people are harmed or killed daily by vaccines and while most severe reactions are pretty rare dying from the measles is more so. My daughter is 2.5 and had the vitaminK shot at the hospital and that is it. She's been sick once and while I worry about her the way any parent does I don't feel she is "Unprotected" in the least.

I am against them as well. I should say not totally "against" them but we are really researching very extensively before we introduce such a thing.
  • Options
    My two youngest had all their Vaccines on time, this one will have them too but I'm researching delaying them first.

BFP: 04/03/2014  EDD: 12/15/2014  HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    UTMissyUTMissy member
    edited February 2015
    Mamamads said:

Yep this is so true and right now the death tally in the measles outbreak...zero. I think the biggest thing people don't realize is not all the diseases you are vaccinating against are deadly and most Of them once you have them(like chicken pox/measles) you get true immunity and won't get It again. I mean they vaccinate against diarrhea for Christ sakes! Can diarrhea kill someone? Yes in extreme extreme circumstances but will it? Most likely no. Another thing is we are more equipped to help someone who were to get one of these diseases these days with medications and antibiotics because we know far far more about them than we used to. Just something to think about. I would also like to commend you ladies for being able to speak about this in one of the more rational ways I have seen lately, it says a lot about your character to be able to see both sides and look at things objectively. We really all do just want our kids safe and healthy so I hate to see people tear each-other a part over this.
    First, you are not completely immune because you've had chicken pox or the measles. You can still get both despite having had them. My sister can not be around children with chicken pox because as an adult it presents a much greater danger to her and she did have a mild case as a child. My mom had measles as a child and again, she managed to get a strain (shingles) and had to stay away from my family per drs orders until it healed as we had an infant at the time. I've also been given two doses of chicken pox vaccine per drs orders despite having had them as well.
    Second, we do not receive vaccines for diarrhea. Diptheria however is a disease we vaccinate for which is disease that can inhibit breathing and cause damage to the heart, kidneys and nervous system.
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited February 2015
    UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

First, you are not completely immune because you've had chicken pox or the measles. You can still get both despite having had them. My sister can not be around children with chicken pox because as an adult it presents a much greater danger to her and she did have a mild case as a child. My mom had measles as a child and again, she managed to get a strain (shingles) and had to stay away from my family per drs orders until it healed as we had an infant at the time. I've also been given two doses of chicken pox vaccine per drs orders despite having had them as well.
    Second, we do not receive vaccines for diarrhea. Diptheria however is a disease we vaccinate for which is disease that can inhibit breathing and cause damage to the heart, kidneys and nervous system.
    No you are not always guaranteed to not get it again and have life long immunity but in most cases you are. With chickenpox if you get a mild case you can get it again and yes there is the risk of shingles.
    The vaccine I am referring to is rotavirus which is the most common cause of diarrhea, so yes we are vaccinating our children against that.
  • Options
    UTMissyUTMissy member
    edited February 2015
    Mamamads said:

UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

No you are not always guaranteed to not get it again and have life long immunity but in most cases you are. With chickenpox if you get a mild case you can get it again and yes there is the risk of shingles.
    The vaccine I am referring to is rotavirus which is the most common cause of diarrhea, so yes we are vaccinating our children against that.
    Diarrhea is a symptom not the virus we vaccinate against and yes it is very serious. And shingles is a measles strain not chicken pox.
  • Options
    @Mamamads ~ I'm in small town, Ontario, Canada.  It's a new policy that has been added I guess.  Anyone born after 2010 enrolling in school must have the chicken pox vaccine.  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mamamads I have a question that's pretty legit, and not meant to be an asshole question. I can understand why you don't vaccinate, and I'm prochoice on it. With the measles outbreak, some doctors are dropping unvaccinated patients. Does this concern you or make you feel discriminated against?

• Options

UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

Diarrhea is a symptom not the virus we vaccinate against and yes it is very serious. And shingles is a measles strain not chicken pox.
    It is actually a chicken pox strain. That's why for the shingles vaccine commercial it says "if you've had the chicken pox the shingles virus is already in your body"
    I stand corrected then. My mistake. I honestly haven't paid attention to that commercial either!
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited February 2015
    UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

Yes it's a symptom, the main one. Nearly every child will be infected once by age 5. Immunity develops with each infection so subsequent infections are less severe. It would be potentially serious in a third world country where they have no access to iv hydration Etc. Here not so much.
  • Options
    UTMissy said:

UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

UTMissy said:

Mamamads said:

It is actually a chicken pox strain. That's why for the shingles vaccine commercial it says "if you've had the chicken pox the shingles virus is already in your body"
    I stand corrected then. My mistake. I honestly haven't paid attention to that commercial either!
    It's on all the time I feel like that's how I knew hehe
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited February 2015
    kladd7182 said:

@mamamads I have a question that's pretty legit, and not meant to be an asshole question. I can understand why you don't vaccinate, and I'm prochoice on it. With the measles outbreak, some doctors are dropping unvaccinated patients. Does this concern you or make you feel discriminated against?

That's a good question. Before this whole outbreak some doctors would refuse to take on patients who refused vaccines or did delayed schedules so it's nothing new to me. I have found a great pediatrician who does accept patients who don't vaccinate and has a more holistic natural minded approach to medicine. It doesn't make me feel discriminated against at all, I understand why they would think it's a liability to take on those patients and plus it keeps the majority of their patients who are vaccinated feeling safer during this time of panic.

• Options
    Mamamads said:

kladd7182 said:

That's a good question. Before this whole outbreak some doctors would refuse to take on patients who refused vaccines or did delayed schedules so it's nothing new to me. I have found a great pediatrician who does accept patients who don't vaccinate and has a more holistic natural minded approach to medicine. It doesn't make me feel discriminated against at all, I understand why they would think it's a liability to take on those patients and plus it keeps the majority of their patients who are vaccinated feeling safer during this time of panic.

I was wondering. My friend doesn't vaccinate and her doctor dropped her kids. She was outraged, and is goin to talk to a lawyer. Honestly, she doesn't vaccinate out of laziness it sounds like. She says, "it's to many unnessesary trips to the doctor". Other than that she really doesn't have a worthwhile arguement.
  • Options
    kladd7182 said:

Mamamads said:

kladd7182 said:

I was wondering. My friend doesn't vaccinate and her doctor dropped her kids. She was outraged, and is goin to talk to a lawyer. Honestly, she doesn't vaccinate out of laziness it sounds like. She says, "it's to many unnessesary trips to the doctor". Other than that she really doesn't have a worthwhile arguement.

Haha yikes! I take my daughter to the doctor for every check up just no shots. Some people don't take their kids at all though so I guess I see where she is coming from. There are so many pediatricians so it seems silly to me to get a lawyer involved in that but I do see why she's pissed.

• Options

@Mamamads ~ I'm in small town, Ontario, Canada.  It's a new policy that has been added I guess.  Anyone born after 2010 enrolling in school must have the chicken pox vaccine.  

Oh that's a bummer, I'm in the states so I don't know about the laws in Canada. If it's something you care about though look into it, there is usually something that can be done.
  • Options

The thing about this current "outbreak" is that it is of genotype b3. The vaccine covers genotype A...So the vaccine does not cover the particular strain that is going around. It is really odd to me that the media won't divulge this information and they just keep screaming "Get the vaccine!"...

It's what they do, people Don't realize they aren't getting the entire story from the media even though that's nothing new. It's really sad how many things we are lied to about especially concerning vaccines.
  • Options
    Mamamads said:

The thing about this current "outbreak" is that it is of genotype b3. The vaccine covers genotype A...So the vaccine does not cover the particular strain that is going around. It is really odd to me that the media won't divulge this information and they just keep screaming "Get the vaccine!"...

It's what they do, people Don't realize they aren't getting the entire story from the media even though that's nothing new. It's really sad how many things we are lied to about especially concerning vaccines.
    Its really scary. They lie about so much it's ridiculous. Or I should say "falsely inform the public" we have done a lot of research on them and nothing we have found have really proven vaccines to be good or even effective for that matter. They just load you with Mercury and formaldehyde and lots of other chemicals. Some will argue Mercury has been removed but thermisol is still in them and is still very dangerous and a form of mercury.
  • Options
    I've had chicken pox twice when I was a kid. In the UK we don't vaccinate for chicken pox. We do for measles mumps and rubella and for some people have the flu jab. Loads more that I can't be arsed to write. I've vaccinated all my children, it's just not worth the risk not to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"