March 2015 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes check in 12.21-27

Re: Gestational Diabetes check in 12.21-27

• Options
    stefmxo said:

@Whitfry‌ I have seen the dietician but my numbers have usually been so perfect that I thought I would be okay eating more carbs. I am not high consistently at all so I feel better about that.

If your numbers are good otherwise, I wouldn't worry. You'll be fine, baby will be fine, and now you know where your carb threshold is.
  • Options
    You should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it unless your numbers are high several times a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @stefmxo‌ just really work at your diet. Certain foods will make you react differently. Just make sure you get a lot of protein with your meals and eat all your carbs. This has made a world of difference for me.
  • Options
    So I have been following this thread for awhile taking in all the info and support from you ladies, so thank you!

I know a few of you have mentioned how important it is washing your hands before but apparently I had to figure it our for myself. My 2 hour post meal was 220 which just shocked me! Washed my hands, rechecked an got a 91!

Also I had a medium popcorn at the movie theater (I was hungry okay!) and my bs was only 92! Woohoo
  • Options
    Like @Whitfry‌ said, we are not perfect. It's not like you went out on a full on binge. High numbers happen sometimes.... And sometimes we really need to make shitty decisions. We are dealing with hormones and cravings still just like any other pregnant woman. Don't feel like you are hurting your baby, think of all you are giving up to ensure your baby is healthy instead. Think of all the good numbers you are getting that would have been bad had you not changed anything.
  • Options
    Ended up in the ER this afternoon. It's not because of blood sugar issues but contractions & spotting. I did have to ask for a snack because my sugars were dropping because my dr upped my medication & I could feel myself getting too low. The nurse brought me a packet of 2 crackers & sugar free crystal lite. Seriously??? Lol. I know that they don't want to give any solids to people who might need anesthesia due to having to intebate- but seriously- jello or juice would have been better. I just toughed it out & ate peanut butter Oreos when I got home & didn't feel bad about it. Packed some snacks & Capri sun in my purse just in case it happens again. So! Because it is important to eat small meals & lots of snacks- lesson learned to always be packin! :) crossing my fingers I don't have to go back in. Nervous but also trying to calm my mind. Too much going on & too much stress right now is not good either
  • Options
    @anniehearts‌ well it seems everything is OK if you are home now. I'm sure that was pretty scary. I carry a granola bar and some tablet things in my purse. I haven't had a bout with low sugar though.
  • Options
    I hadn't had many issues with low blood sugar either until they upped my meds this last week. Kind of a different beast than in used to but it almost seems easier to manage the lows than trying to wrestle the highs. Continuing to eat a lot of protein but adding more fruits & whole grains. (& an Oreo here & there.) They didn't get the contractions completely stopped but I live in a small community & the hospital rooms are packed with people with the flu & other illnesses so they sent me home for bedrest because they figured it would be safer. My doctor is also a family friend & she's going to do a home visit in the morning. I hope I'll get some sleep tonight! If not- movie night & popcorn with the husband!
  • Options
    @anniehearts‌ I'll be praying baby stays put. I'm totally jealous of you home visits though.... Well and the oreos.... Take it easy!
  • Options
    Just had a breakdown. Full on ugly cry face with snot and everything. Feeling a little overwhelmed. The pharmacy still doesn't have all of my prescriptions covered. The lancets that were covered by my insurance are manual they didn't cover the canister needles for my pen. I'm tired of all the shots already, it seems like every time I turn around I'm poking a needle into myself. It feels like all I think about all day is diabetes. Everything is planned around meal times, insulin, blood sugar.

Last year I lost a baby, the first part of this pregnancy was so difficult on us. It was very hard to get excited. We did six rounds of clomid before conceiving, this baby was very wanted, we were just scared. Finally when we could enjoy it my DH's mother passed suddenly on the morning of our gender reveal party. We get passed that just for this time consuming diabetes bullshit. I feel like I have just had no time to enjoy pregnancy. Blah blah blah. Sorry for the long rant. Just feeling a bit down and defeated tonight.
  • Options
    @jarrard1983 I am so sorry you've gone through so much lately. Keep your head up. It will all be worth it soon enough. The GD is frustrating in itself, isn't it. And I think a breakdown every now and then can be a good thing. Sometimes ya need a good cry, at least I do. But please, keep your head up and know we are here for you! <3
  • Options
    Crying did feel pretty great. Thank you for the support. I've been trying to stay pretty positive, I don't know what my deal is today though.
  • Options
    Pregnancy is enough & then you add a gambit of other obstacles & it becomes overwhelming very fast. I know it can feel defeating to have GD but being able to break down occasionally just means you're human! I feel bad sometimes because I find myself blaming the baby- not on purpose, but I love him very much & truly don't intend on doing that. It's just the icing on the cake Somedays (pun intended!) I don't have any answers but I offer all the support & well wishes! Rub your belly & just remember this a short season in our lives that we will often wish we could get back. GD & all.
  • Options
    Thank you....I'm so thankful for you ladies. I just needed to rant. I think I'm stable now. Just have a lot of feels going on.
  • Options

Thank you....I'm so thankful for you ladies. I just needed to rant. I think I'm stable now. Just have a lot of feels going on.

I spent the first two weeks after I got diagnosed crying more or less nonstop. It's scary and overwhelming, and you have a lot of other stuff going on too. ::hugs:: feel free to vent it out.
  • Options
    I agree. I think the late loss was a trigger for me. My heart broke for her. My loss was early but I have a blood disorder that can contribute to late loss. I think between that and the diabetes yesterday was just too much.
  • Options
    Suzy's loss rocked us all pretty hard, I think. It's sobering to realize that something so senseless and horrible could still happen, even in our third trimester. I know I've been feeling sad for her and extra vulnerable. It's nice that we have a strong group of women to offer support, not just in the GD threads but board-wide.
  • Options
    If I didn't have you ladies I don't think I'd know what to do with myself. Your support everyday keeps my holding on strong!

So yesterday I had amazing readings all day! I ended up under 100 for every meal including the meals with tater tots and pasta(not sure how that happened). I treated myself with ben and jerry's "everything but the..." It was delicious and I finally got my chocolate craving taken care of!
    BFP - 6/28.....Unofficial(waiting on u/s) EDD - 3/9

image    image

July Siggy Challenge. Summer Fail. March 2015 Group
    baby development
  • Options
    Looks like I will be joining this check in every week! I failed my 3 hour GTT this am. Getting the diagnosis of GD wasn't as upsetting as I thought it was going to be. I am trying to keep positive and tell myself that this isn't going to be as hard as I think it is. Got my glucometer, came home, ate lunch, 1 hour after eating was 111. My biggest adjustment is going to be finding things i like to eat. I am already overweight, and don't necessarily eat nothing but junk, but I don't eat the best. I am glad to have you ladies here as support though, considering my DH probably just wont understand. I go back to my OB in a week so he can see how my numbers are for the week. 
    image March '15 January Siggy Challenge image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Me - 24    DH - 29      Married 01-20-2014
    Aubrey - 12-14-2011
    Jaxon - EDD 3-16-2015

• Options
    I had a checkup with the diabetes Dr this afternoon. I somehow lost a pound during the holidays. Dr said all my sugar levels looked great and the medication was working great. He told me that with such a small dose of medication that he predicts a positive outcome for the rest of my pregnancy. More than likely I won't have to up my medication or go on insulin. I will start my NSTs in 3 weeks at 32 weeks. I also have a growth ultrasound scheduled January 28th at 32 weeks as well.
  • Options
    Thanks @Whitfry‌! I'm nervous but am glad to have support from a great group of ladies going thru similar!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Aubrey - 12-14-2011
    Jaxon - EDD 3-16-2015

• Options
    With my first I didn't start NST's until 36 weeks. This one I'm scheduled to start sooner because of some contractions. Looking forward to it. It's 20 minutes to an hour of sitting back, relaxing (with no kids!) & listening to a wonderful & rhythmic sound. It's pretty funny sound when they get the hiccups!

There's a lot of up's & downs with GD & I just try to remind myself I get these extra little perks of seeing & hearing or little one more.

With weight loss- don't stress loosing a few pounds. My dr. Freaked my first pregnancy because I lost 32lbs but I was overweight & my daughter came out just fine- 6lbs 4oz. This pregnancy I've already lost 24lbs. It's just a kickstart on the after baby weight loss! ;) we are watching so closely what we eat & our calorie intake is often much less than that of a regular pregnancy- it's amazing how differently food effects a variety of people. I can't do corn products wheat or oatmeal- but someone might not be able to do rice & potatoes. I think that was the most frustrating to me. No one could tell me what to eat & it was really hard to find meal plans the first time! I love the sharing we are doing! It's very motivating!!!
  • Options
    My fasting number just won't go down. I'm pretty sure my insulin dose will be upped to 33 units tomorrow. All my other numbers have been fabulous though.

My growth ultrasound in on the 26th. I can't wait to see my little ninja. Today I was lounging on the couch watching her distort my belly, I'm not sure why but I'm so amused by that. She feels big to me, but I've never been this far along so I'm not really sure what normal is.

@anniehearts‌ you are so right. We need to look at the ups and downs. Sometimes it's hard to see the ups, but they are there. I'm actually hoping this diet change will help me lose weight after the baby gets here. I haven't had much luck with diets in the past and have been gaining a lot of weight.

Well I mean help me lose weight after I demolish an entire chocolate fudge cake.....
  • Options
    @clarue12 Welcome to our group. Yep, no one wants to be here but it is what it is. 

Suzy's loss is awful.  A girl I went to school w/ just lost her baby boy Sunday night just hours after she delivered due to meconium issues. I have been in a state of awkwardness since then. I can't describe the emotion I feel about both of these losses. Its so weird bc I can't pinpoint how I feel, yet they both bother me SO much. I too am thankful for this small group where we are all in similar boats. 

My doc isn't starting NST's until 36 weeks either.. 

Hope everyone has had a good day w/ good numbers. :)
  • Options
    My dr didn't even mention NSTs, but I go back in a week so he can look at my numbers and see where we are then. Hopefully I can keep my numbers good and figure out some good meal plans.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Aubrey - 12-14-2011
    Jaxon - EDD 3-16-2015

• Options
    I didn't start NSTs until 34 weeks with my first pregnancy but my doctor told me today since I was diagnosed early at 14 weeks this pregnancy that I will start them earlier at 32 weeks.
  • Options
    I found out that I had GD today at 29 weeks and 6 days. I called to make an appointment to meet with a nutritionist like I was supposed to, and they can't even get me in until February 13! Has this happened to anyone else??
  • Options
    WhitfryWhitfry member
    edited January 2015
    anehrkorn said:

I found out that I had GD today at 29 weeks and 6 days. I called to make an appointment to meet with a nutritionist like I was supposed to, and they can't even get me in until February 13! Has this happened to anyone else??

It took me a week and a half to get in for my first appt. Just lower your carb intake, cut out sugar, increase protein. Snack on protein rich foods between meals and eat reasonable portions. When I got diagnosed I cut my carbs to 30 or less for meals until I could see a dietician. They put me on 60 for meals and 30 for snacks. Everyone's eating plan is a little different, but if you start watching carbs now it will help. Don't panic, you'll be fine.

ETA you might also call your OB and let them know. Mine would be livid at such a long wait and would call the diabetes clinic herself.
  • Options
    Welcome to the club @clarue12‌ !

@anehrkorn‌ Whitfry gave great advice and I don't have much to add besides welcome.

We are all still trying to figure things out, but we are here if you need us!
    BFP - 6/28.....Unofficial(waiting on u/s) EDD - 3/9

image    image

July Siggy Challenge. Summer Fail. March 2015 Group
    baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"