March 2015 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes check in 12.21-27

Good morning ladies! Thought I'd start our GD weekly check-in thread for those of us who are wanting to participate. 

How are you doing?

How are your sugars?

Any great recipes/meal ideas you'd like to share?

Any stories/rants/triumphs/anything else you feel like sharing?

Re: Gestational Diabetes check in 12.21-27

• Options
    I'll get us started.

How are you doing?
    I'm still feeling rough and depressed. I met with my nutritionist last week and got my eating plan. It's much less restrictive than I expected (up to 60 carbs per meal and 30 carbs per snack) but I find that when I'm eating the full amount of allowed carbs my sugars are high. So I'm having to self-regulate and alter the plan on my own. I'm struggling with the restrictions because they bring back a lot of my old ED thought processes and behaviors, and it's hard to fight against that. I've lost all the weight I gained during pregnancy from the restricted eating and from stress. So we'll see what my doctor has to say about that when I see her on tuesday. I'm still trying to figure out which carbs trigger me more than others, and it's frustrating.

How are your sugars?
    Higher than I want them to be. Dinner last night and fasting levels this morning were good, but dinner last night had less than 20 carbs. I'm usually 7-15 numbers higher than I should be, and I have no idea if that is within an acceptable range or if I should be worried. I feel very blind in this whole thing, despite having met with the nutritionist and having the reading material she gave me.

When I'm eating out, I seem to be doing okay with most of the weight watchers options on restaurant menus. Thats all I've got, sadly. Hoping others have better ideas!

Nothing amazing. Just that I'm still struggling with this, and looking forward to seeing how everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    How are you doing?
    I'm going OK actually. I felt much better once I met with my OB and the diabetes educator. I am nervous and scared of the future health of baby and me but at the current time, I'm doing better than I figured.

How are your sugars?
    Sugars are good. All 100 or below with the exception of 3 times so far. But 2 of those 3 times I was able to pin point what it was to prevent it for the future. Luckily I am able to throw in a glass of milk on top of my alotted breakfast carbs and I'm still 85 or below.

We had tacos the other night and so far that's been my favorite. I was so happy I could have something I wanted and still keep my sugar low enough.

I feel like I shared some in the above haha. My poor arm looks awful from testing there. Glad it's winter and I'm in long sleeves a lot. I'm afraid Christmas will be a low time for me with all of the food. So far I've had better self control than I thought but I'm nervous for Christmas.

Hope you all are doing well!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How are you doing? Stressed because I've hit that phase when I can't eat much because of baby. He sits very high but still measuring at 30 percentile. So I have to negotiate between water & food. :) my cravings are mostly sweets or carbs. Oh joy! :)

My sugars are bouncing a little still but Its also to be expected- I haven't had a low (70-75) in a few weeks. But I did have a 150 this week unexpectedly.

I'm loving breakfast foods like omelettes & crustless quiches- bacon & sausage. I try to do a lot of chicken but I'm not to keen of beef lately. Chicken fajitas with lots of veggies over brown rice & a couple whole wheat tortilla chips has rocked my socks this week. Holiday food is going to be hard to resist. But within moteration

Rants/triumphs- just that going over to someone's house is hard. I try to bring a salad or eat light but I've had a few friends & family members complain about me not eatting enough or that I'm taking it too seriously. I try to explain how I feel when I don't keep in check- & a few have scoffed it off & said it was a myth. Lol. I've had nightmares of a 13lb baby- & it isn't gonna happen with this body! Lol.
  • Options
    How are you doing?  Not so great, but better than last week.  I'm over the fact that my diet feels restrictive, and am now more worried about the health of my baby.

How are your sugars?  My fasting numbers haven't been under 90 in weeks, and I had a high of 112 last week.  My doula asked if the progesterone I'm on might be affecting my blood sugar, so I'm going to ask about that at my check-up appointment this week.  

Any great recipes/meal ideas you'd like to share?  I am now hooked on Almond Dream's Lil' Dreamers.  They're tiny little ice cream sandwiches made with almond milk, and come in at 15g of carbs and 8g of sugar.  They satisfy my sweet tooth in the evening and haven't caused any spikes.  Yay!

Any stories/rants/triumphs/anything else you feel like sharing?  My Metformin dosage was upped this week and I've only seen marginal improvement in the morning.  Dinner is hit and miss, but mostly hit.  Lunch and fasting are still out of range.  I'm hoping my body will adjust and I'll start seeing some lower numbers soon.

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms
  • Options
    How are you doing?
    I'm good. Still taking my meds regularly and they're working great. Haven't had an appointment since the 2nd since my Dr wasn't in diabetes clinic last week but I have one Tuesday and hoping all will be well

How are your sugars?
    Pretty well controlled thanks to the meds. Fasting are between 70-105. Highest fasting has been 110 so way better than the 130 I had last time. 1 hour after meals range from 70-140s so they're exactly where my Dr wants them. Hoping my medication won't have to be upped or go on insulin

Any great recipes/meal ideas you'd like to share? I found that oatmeal is a pretty good breakfast it it's the reduced sugar. I ate a lot of it during my first pregnancy

Any stories/rants/triumphs/anything else you feel like sharing? Nothing new to share

• Options
    How are you doing?  I'm actually doing okay.  I was on this diet for a few months before I got pregnant, so I have some practice.  I fell off the wagon while I was dealing with MS in the 1st and 2nd tri.  I'm losing weight, so I'm trying to eat more, but it's hard when nothing sounds good.

How are your sugars?  They are okay, but only because I'm eating way less carbs than I'm allowed.  I had to give up bread and pasta of any kind.  Even whole wheat sends me skyrocketing. 

Any great recipes/meal ideas you'd like to share?  I found these carb smart Breyers ice cream bars.  They have really helped my sweet tooth.  11gm carbs and 6gm sugar, not too bad.  I also found pasteurized eggs at the super market, so being able to have a fried egg in the morning has really helped my attitude about this whole thing.  Also, cheese!  I go to whole foods and try all the cheeses.  It is my favorite snack.  

Any stories/rants/triumphs/anything else you feel like sharing?   My mom is being really sweet about my diet.  She has been coming up with a bunch of food options for me, since my family is all about baked goods on Christmas.  It is really nice to have her support, because I didn't think I would make it through the holidays.

for suzyq0525
  • Options
    @goofygoff & @tazminiam Those ice cream options sound great! I must find them!! Thank you for the suggestions. :)
  • Options
    @whitfry Popcorn! I forgot about popcorn!!
  • Options
    How are you doing?
    I am doing wellish, or at least telling myself that hoping it will make me feel better!  I am nervous for my appointment I have tomorrow with the dietician, I have gained about 13 pounds total and I am only supposed to gain about 15, I personally don't care and my doctor doesn't seem too worried either, but apparently I am supposed to be losing weight with this program.  Christmas is also a very hard time of the year for me and I am excited for next year, next year will probably make it ALL better for me.  When my parents got divorced about 7 years ago my mom moved out the day after christmas.  Throw crazy ILs into the mix and this shit sucks lol.
    How are your sugars?
    Honestly, I haven't really been checking this week, and I really need to be so well see how today goes but so far my fasting level is fine today yay!
    None, I haven't really been cooking much lately!
    Tomorrow I get to see my litte man on the big screen and I can't wait!!  I am alittle nervous for that appointment too because what if he is too big? Gah the things you have to worry about with GD!
  • Options
    Thinking of you all... Hope Christmas was as good as it could be for each of you considering! 
  • Options
    I missed this original posting!

How are you doing? Much better this week after meeting the educator. I can't tell if my headaches or lightheadedness is from sugar issues or pregnancy and it's frustrating.

How are your sugars? Dr told me this week I'm teetering on a thin line with my numbers. My morning numbers are perfectly where we want them but my lunch and dinner readings are off some of the time.

Any great recipes/meal ideas you'd like to share? I'm still figuring it what works for me. My educator told me all bread is not created equal and boy was she right. I was eating Pepperidge farms whole grain oatmeal bread and just switched to Arnold's double protein whole grain bread...huge difference in my numbers. I've learned I can still eat my pasta :) , can't tolerate pizza at all, oatmeal is heaven, omelettes are godsend, fried chicken is a no go, tacos work great, and sugar free pudding sucks butt. Oh and snacking on granola has helped my snickers craving. I wish we had more sweets ideas because I'd kill for warm chocolate cake and ice cream

Any stories/rants/triumphs/anything else you feel like sharing? I have to go back in on Tuesday for another diet follow up and a growth scan. When the doctor measured me at 29+1 she got a reading of 32 and is concerned the baby is growing too fast. I'm nervous. Terrified really. Also, I now have to make a decision between the midwives (whom I've been seeing this whole time) and doctors ( I am currently seeing since this last appointment) at my practice which adds more frustration with this while situation.
    BFP - 6/28.....Unofficial(waiting on u/s) EDD - 3/9

image    image

July Siggy Challenge. Summer Fail. March 2015 Group
    baby development
  • Options
    ohana112610ohana112610 member
    edited December 2014

The Little Dreamers Almond ice cream bars have been great for me! One of the girls above suggested them and to be honest, the first one sucked. But I tried them again the next day and I love them. :)

ETA- forgot to tag. 
  • Options
    @ohana112610‌ now I just have to find then!

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    @melleasndrs
    Hubby found them at Walmart very easily. Sooooo, if he can find them, anyone can haha ;) 
  • Options
    That's exactly where I'm headed now :D eeeek! I can have I've cream!

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    Ok, those little dreamers are heaven! I'll look today for a few other diabetic recipes/products and share if I find something interesting.

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    I found a few recipes I'm thinking I might have to try.

This website is a really good read with lots of neat recipes: https://gestationaldiabetesrecipes.com/

https://www.m.webmd.com/diabetes/features/7-healthy-desserts-for-your-diabetes-diet

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    My mom makes this casserole bake thing, and it is GD friendly and surprisingly delicious. Always a big hit with me, because it tastes so rich and I love rich foods. We had it as part of christmas breakfast this year.

3c cottage cheese
    3c cheddar cheese
    1/4c butter
    3tbsp flour
    3 eggs
    Salt to taste
    10 oz package chopped spinach

Mix all ingredients but the spinach together, add spinach last. Put in baking dish and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Voila!
  • Options
    How are you doing? Ok. A little overwhelmed.

How are your sugars? All over the place.

Any great recipes/meal ideas you'd like to share? I've been living off pbj.

Any stories/rants/triumphs/anything else you feel like sharing? I was started on insulin on Christmas eve. Not really thrilled about it. It took everything I had not to lose it at the diabetes center. I've upped my dose every day and can't seem to get my fasting levels down. Since taking insulin all my other levels seem to be over more, before insulin the only number I had issues with was my fasting blood sugar. Won't be able to get any real answers until I call Monday. Any suggestions would be great. I'm hoping maybe a lot of the issues will go away now that the holidays are over. I had to do a lot of guess work on my carb intake while at family dinners.

I'm a little bummed right now with my husband. He mentioned eating right with me, but I've never seen him eat so much junk. I never told him too stop eating normally, it as his idea. I think he is actually making things harder by telling me he would support me and then doing the opposite.
  • Options
    @jarrard1983‌ do you eat a small snack before bed?? My dietitian told me if you wait too long between dinner and breakfast it could result in higher fasting levels
  • Options
    The snacking is the hardest thing for me. I feel like I'm force feeding myself and I don't like it. Now I'm running out of stomach space so small meals plus snacking are killer.

Did anyone else here learn how to set up your lunch and dinner plate? If so, are you struggling with it because I can't get seen to get it right?

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    I'm having trouble with the snacking too. I'm used to eating breakfast and then not eating again until dinner. It's just the way I've always been. But at my last doctor's appointment I got in big trouble because I was apparently spilling large numbers of ketones and I had lost weight to the point where I was five pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight. So I am under strict orders to eat more often, which is really hard for me. But I'm finding that the more I stuff myself the better my sugars look, which is really baffling and weird to me. It's uncomfortable, though. I don't like eating as much as they want me to eat - especially when they're non-preferred foods that I normally wouldn't touch. I have a history with disordered eating, and so this whole GD thing is fucking with my head in more ways than I can count. But I'm crying about it less, which is nice. I'm still not comfortable telling a lot of people about the diagnosis because I still feel some shame and blame towards myself. 
  • Options
    I was way under my pre pregnancy weight and had keytones too. I'm finally gaining a little back and no more urine issues. This whole ordeal is worrisomeAnd I'm trying to stay positive. Better said then done.

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    I've had slow weight gain since being diagnosed. I've only gained 9 lbs in the whole 27 weeks. It's the diet, you either lose weight or slowly gain it. It was the same way when I had GD with my first pregnancy
  • Options
    I am having a hard time eating that often when I'm home and not at work. At work I feel hungry a lot. But at home I guess I get busy. I won't eat if I'm not hungry. At least not until I HAVE to. Some days I only eat 2 meals and a 2-3 snacks. So far so good on my levels... I go for a growth US on Wednesday. Praying all is well with our little guy. I wasn't really gaining weight before this diagnosis and they haven't said anything so far. I lost a lot in the beginning 20 weeks and i'm now just a couple of lbs heavier than I was when I got pregnant-- BUT, I was at least 50 lbs overweight prior to getting pregnant.. I'm with you @whitfry, I too have a history of disordered eating so this hasn't helped. I wasn't eating bad at all really prior to this diagnosis but I keep telling myself its not my fault that its happened. I'm ok gaining weight, it just isn't happening with this diet. I am so thankful to have this "group/thread". It has helped me a ton already... 
  • Options
    djoliet said:

@jarrard1983‌ do you eat a small snack before bed?? My dietitian told me if you wait too long between dinner and breakfast it could result in higher fasting levels

Yes. I've tried eating and not eating right before bed. Neither seems to work. I was at 103 this morning after 25 units of insulin last night. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Options
    @jarrard1983‌ what time frame are you eating dinner?

image    image

baby development
  • Options
    Just wanted to say it is such a relief to hear from others going through this too.
  • Options
    So...  on Christmas day, I was able to eat a few See's candies and half a rice crispy treat (spread out during the day) and keep my number below 120.  Yesterday, I have tamales for lunch and my number shoots up to 153.  Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette.  

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms
  • Options
    goofygoff said:

So...  on Christmas day, I was able to eat a few See's candies and half a rice crispy treat (spread out during the day) and keep my number below 120.  Yesterday, I have tamales for lunch and my number shoots up to 153.  Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette.  

Russian roulette is exactly what this is! I had pasta the other day and my numbers skyrocketed to 180. Fast forward to today I ate the same exact pasta with 110 results. Also, I can eat mashed potatoes with gravy and stuffing but can't have a few French fries or I spike. It's frustrating.

image    image

baby development
  • Options

@jarrard1983‌ what time frame are you eating dinner?

Usually around 7. I try to space everything out by 3 hours.
  • Options
    Goddamnit. I got a fountain soda from a drive-through and specified diet. My blood sugar is now through the roof. They must have given me regular soda. I'm feeling horribly frustrated at that. I guess there's no trusting fast food employees any more. Arrrrgh!
  • Options
    Meeting with a dietician hopefully this week. Failed my 3hr so they said I have a glucose intolerance. Till then she said try and eat 6 small meals a day watching my carb intake. Feeling pretty frustrated and guilty. I'm no stranger to dieting though, anything to keep myself and baby girl healthy. Looking forward to weekly check ins with you ladies.

#1 BFP 11/6/12 EDD 07/19/13 Delivered 07/23/13 - Baby boy Everett John

#2 BFP 07/06/14 EDD 03/12/15

• Options
    2 of my 3 after meal numbers sucked today. They've been good most of the time until today. And it was all stuff I've had before. WTF. 
  • Options
    I've had sucky levels all day today. It just happens to me every once in awhile
  • Options
    Whitfry said:

Goddamnit. I got a fountain soda from a drive-through and specified diet. My blood sugar is now through the roof. They must have given me regular soda. I'm feeling horribly frustrated at that. I guess there's no trusting fast food employees any more. Arrrrgh!

If it doesn't taste any different, you might try smelling it - that's how we told diet from regular when I worked at Mickey D's back in the day (if you've got someone with a regular to use for reference).
  • Options
    kaydedid said:
    If it doesn't taste any different, you might try smelling it - that's how we told diet from regular when I worked at Mickey D's back in the day (if you've got someone with a regular to use for reference).
    Thats a good suggestion. TBH, it never occurred to me that they wouldn't just give me what I asked for, she repeated "diet" when she handed it to me and I was so thirsty I pounded it. Sigh. I'll just have to be more careful in the future.
  • Options
    Not gonna lie- I just downed a 1/4 bag of potato chips (seasalt & garlic ruffles) & some diet soda- both no nos- but I've kindof had a stressful week & needed a break.

Thank you so much ladies for posting & sharing- I haven't been as faithful checking here as I was before the holidays & seeing your posts have renewed my faith that we can get thru this (one chip & soda splurge at a time!) :smile:

I haven't been checking my sugars as much because I'm letting myself feel defeated & a "who cares" attitude . Needing a big adjustment before my appointment Friday! I hope my dr. Won't be too hard on me. I have been feeling good & I don't feel like I've been too out of control (besides my splurge tonight!) but it just goes to show we need a break sometimes too & to not blame ourselves or let it get us down! This is just a short period left in our lives! Most of us 8-12 weeks left! I've done crash dieting longer- so I've renewed my resolve & I'm going to savor licking the chip bag & throwing it away. :smile: just to start tomorrow on the right foot & not feel so defeated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"