October 2014 Moms
Options

FFFC!

124»

Re: FFFC!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    jcsumm0 said: Like I said, I don't care if adults use pot responsibly.  And I know that it is not physically addicting.  But you will never, ever convince me that it does not cause psychological dependance in some people and is detrimental to their lives because of that.
    ---------quote fail?--------
    I'm super pro-weed, and I agree with this. There actually is evidence that some people
    do experience physical withdrawal symptoms if they're heavy, regular smokers (source). Some people are just more prone to addiction than others, imo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    edited May 2014

My stepdad is an attorney and I have worked as a legal secretary for sometime and people always ask if I want to be a lawyer.  I do not.  I get to leave my job at the door at 5pm.  When they complain about their hours I always reply " that is why you make the big bucks!".

It is not a glamorous as most people think and involves a whole bunch of paper work and phone calls!

I cringe when someone suggests that I "make the big bucks." I don't even made the medium bucks. And it's completely inappropriate to say anything in retort. 

When I say that I am talking to a partner who has been practicing law since I was a toddler.  He files his taxes quarterly so it is safe to assume that he indeed makes the big bucks.  I only say it when they try to make me feel bad when my agreed upon working hours are done and they are still hard at work.  I am all for staying if they want to sign off on my overtime slip (mandatory if I work over a certain number of hours).

I know that all lawyers don't make the big bucks but many of the ones I work with and for do.

And we are totally inappropriate here! 

eta:  added bolded language for clarity.  I am not a snippy bitch to my bosses.  I heart them big time most days.

Another FFFC:  I miss Intervention.  That show was the worst type of train wreck but it was so interesting to watch.  I too believe that prescription pills are a bigger "gateway" drug than pot.

• Options
    Sorry about your mother @dorothyzbornak97.  It's so unfortunate that you don't have to go far to find someone affected by distracted driving.

About pot: never smoked it...just haven't felt the desire.  But I don't give a fuck if you want to.  To each his or her own. 

About kites: dude.  I want to go fly one now.  Guess I'm super lame!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    edited May 2014
    Nicb13 said:

I was totally going to type that but a) you beat me to it and b) had no plans to post a bitchin pic!  Thank you for that!!

eta:  worng to

• Options
    duckrduckr member

lrobi13 said:

My mom and sister are attorneys, I completed my first year of law school and quit. People ask me all the time if I regret my decision and I ALWAYS say no!  It's no walk in the park, that's for sure.  Have either of you ever considered arbitration?  You still get paid well and they seem to always be looking for attorneys...

My stepdad is an attorney and I have worked as a legal secretary for sometime and people always ask if I want to be a lawyer.  I do not.  I get to leave my job at the door at 5pm.  When they complain about their hours I always reply " that is why you make the big bucks!".

It is not a glamorous as most people think and involves a whole bunch of paper work and phone calls!

I worked as a paralegal for 3 years and hated it. When I got my Associate degree I was planning on going forward to earn my bachelors then on to law school. I'm so glad I didn't go with that plan. My former boss had her own practice and she was miserable! Wouldn't want that misery, liability, stess, and student loans on top. I'm sure not all attorneys are miserable but I just got such an awful impression. I'm actually so scarred that I'm hesitant to even go back to the legal field when the baby is a bit older. Maybe being a legal secretary is easier to handle because they dont load you down with all the shit legal work they don't want to do? I'm going to have to look into it.
    I cringe when someone suggests that I "make the big bucks." I don't even made the medium bucks. And it's completely inappropriate to say anything in retort. 

As for the suggestion on arbitration, at least in Louisiana, you have to have several years of practice before you can arbitrate/mediate. 
    Hi! Legal Assistant here! My senior year of college I took the LSAT and was accepted to Washington U. I decided not to go as I had several attorney friends who urged me not to. I'm really glad I didn't. I stop working at 5:30, I work with attorneys and co-workers who are respectful/awesome, love the work I do and make twice as much as associates in most other areas of law (with no debt). BUT I think finding happiness in this field depends on the practice, area, and firm. GL!

• Options
    I honestly don't see where I'm being ignorant because of the way I feel about drugs.  I'm not trying to offend anyone at all.  Maybe my use of the phrase, "I totally judge" was wrong to say.  But, I see people throwing that phrase around all the time here!  Someone even said on a different thread the other day that they think moms in general are more judgy and someone responded with something like, yep, I am totally judgy.  It was no big deal then!  

I don't preach to people who do drugs.  I don't go around thinking I'm on my high horse because of my feelings.  That's not how or who I am.  I've been in situations where someone starts smoking and I just leave.  It makes me extremely uncomfortable, and I can't help that I feel that way.  It's not something I ever want to be around.  I don't think that makes me ignorant.  And I definitely don't think that it's fair that I can be judged for my feelings on the matter, but be flamed because I said I judged others. 

I've been dealing with a serious eating disorder for the past few years, last year being the worst, so I know exactly what it's like to be addicted to something and not have the ability to stop on your own.  I would never wish it on anyone, so that's why it scares me to death when people would put themselves in that situation with other addictive behaviors.  (I know alcohol can be just as addictive as drugs, so please don't harp on that.  Like I said before, I don't know why I don't feel the same way about alcohol.)

Ahh.. I'm so bad at this.  Other ladies on here have said exactly what I'm thinking much better than I did or could.  Drugs, including pot smoking are not for me, and I don't ever want to put myself in a situation where I would be around them.  I just don't.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    duckrduckr member
    I honestly don't see where I'm being ignorant because of the way I feel about drugs.  I'm not trying to offend anyone at all.  Maybe my use of the phrase, "I totally judge" was wrong to say.  But, I see people throwing that phrase around all the time here!  Someone even said on a different thread the other day that they think moms in general are more judgy and someone responded with something like, yep, I am totally judgy.  It was no big deal then!  

I don't preach to people who do drugs.  I don't go around thinking I'm on my high horse because of my feelings.  That's not how or who I am.  I've been in situations where someone starts smoking and I just leave.  It makes me extremely uncomfortable, and I can't help that I feel that way.  It's not something I ever want to be around.  I don't think that makes me ignorant.  And I definitely don't think that it's fair that I can be judged for my feelings on the matter, but be flamed because I said I judged others. 

I've been dealing with a serious eating disorder for the past few years, last year being the worst, so I know exactly what it's like to be addicted to something and not have the ability to stop on your own.  I would never wish it on anyone, so that's why it scares me to death when people would put themselves in that situation with other addictive behaviors.  (I know alcohol can be just as addictive as drugs, so please don't harp on that.  Like I said before, I don't know why I don't feel the same way about alcohol.)

Ahh.. I'm so bad at this.  Other ladies on here have said exactly what I'm thinking much better than I did or could.  Drugs, including pot smoking are not for me, and I don't ever want to put myself in a situation where I would be around them.  I just don't.  
    It's because you picked a HOT topic and because you said you think less of people who do it. Imagine if you went up to a random group of strangers and said you judge people who drink alcohol. You would most likely offend more than half of the people in that group.  This is the same thing.  It's more socially acceptable than you realize making your opinion unpopular.

• Options
    ADH0906ADH0906 member
    @dorothyzbornak97‌ I just have away so many loki love tits. Also: Loki BDSM? Who knew.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Other moms are more judgy. We're totally judging you right now. I don't think anyone is going to be like, oh that Heartwood is so ignorant we can't be friends with her now though. We just disagree with you. There are a lot of good points brought up and it probably couldn't hurt to give that some consideration. No one is saying you have to change your mind, but judging people for something that is not even nationally illegal isn't really that great either. 

I would say, try not to take it so personally. Ever since I got engaged, people started having an option about seemingly every aspect of my life. I try and shrug it off by knowing that everyone has an option, but the only one that should really matter to me is mine. 
    It's fine to disagree with me, that doesn't bother me.  And trust me, I think about the other points people have brought up every time I hear about it on the news or read about it in an article, but it still doesn't change my mind that I don't like them.

The thing that irks me is being called ignorant, because I'm really not.  I do tons of reading and research on things to try to understand all sides of whatever the subject is, including this one.  That's why I usually don't like to get into debates because I feel like I never have enough information to make an educated decision on something.  But I guess this is something I've had a strong feeling about my whole life, my opinion won't change, and I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Heartwood0519‌ don't stress yourself. I judge people on the bump and IRL for lots of things. On a daily basis in fact. But, just like I wouldn't walk up to someone and say I'm judging you for that IRL I keep that aspect in my head on the boards as well and state why I disagree or why I would not do a particular thing. It seems like a silly distinction but it changes the conversation from a personal attack on someone to general attack on the idea. People respond better to that sort of debate.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    JessAnnJ said:
    @Heartwood0519‌ don't stress yourself. I judge people on the bump and IRL for lots of things. On a daily basis in fact. But, just like I wouldn't walk up to someone and say I'm judging you for that IRL I keep that aspect in my head on the boards as well and state why I disagree or why I would not do a particular thing. It seems like a silly distinction but it changes the conversation from a personal attack on someone to general attack on the idea. People respond better to that sort of debate.
    I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone or attack anyone.  That definitely wasn't my intention AT ALL.  I used a bad choice of words and said it that way because people say it around here all the time.  I definitely wouldn't go up to someone IRL and say, "I totally judge you for XYZ."  Everyone judges everyone else for everything, no matter how stupid or petty it is.  

Please don't hate me!  I really do like you all!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Heartwood0519‌ I don't hate you and I can tell you didn't mean it that way. I was just making the comparison to IRL to illustrate why people tend to get more upset with that word in the context of a debate worthy topic. This thread is dying down. It will be on to the next thing tomorrow.

• Options
    duckrduckr member
    @Heartwood0519 no hate. it's all good. let's smoke a bowl.

• Options
    @Nicb13 - I totally felt like crying!  I'm a baby!  lol

I totally censor myself more IRL, and it's really easy to post something on an internet forum anonymously without thinking about how others would take it.  I sincerely apologize.  Also, I'm bad at finding all the right words to express what I'm thinking unless I have some time to think about it, and I felt like I had to defend myself quickly, which in turn, made me sound dumb.

@duckr - Good idea ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I have not had sex since December. He wont go any where near my vagina until they stop all the progesterone suppositories. He says he doesn't need his boobs to be any bigger. It makes me laugh but seriously, he should risk it for some good sex right?
    @persephonerose

Wow!  DH and I would have sex before I used the suppository and I would warn him "don't look down!" when he would go to the bathroom afterwards because I was worried some of the older suppository would be on him.  He laughed it off since he knew what it was; there was no concern about being exposed to the progesterone (which isn't an issue regardless).  

How much longer are you on the suppository?  I was told I could stop at 12 weeks but ended up continuing on to 14w.

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options

My FFFC: I hate missing all the juicy week threads because I am at work, and can't secretly bump as people stop in to my office every two minutes and I do not have cellphone signal in my little dungeon. I feel like the loser on the block. 

On texting and driving: Its dangerous, my boss has suffered (4) car accidents because of the other driver either texting or being distracted. Her pregnancy was high risk due to the fact of her previous accidents. just don't do it!
    On weed: It is not a gateway drug...If you are open minded enough to try it you know that is something you can do once and not repeat if you don't want to. People can abuse anything, from alcohol, to food etc etc. Weed will not cause you to automatically go for harder drugs. I've always hated that argument. I have smoked weed, I don't do it now, and DH use to do it pretty often during his college days. He is the smartest man I know. 

I miss all the juicy posts when I am at work too :( Then I get here and I am like whoa interesting thread... All has been said and I am way behind. Missing out.

• Options
    JJsMumJJsMum member
    Okay, so late to the party (I blame the kids), but this was actually interesting today!  Yeah, I actually made it through all 8 pages!

As far as pot, I really don't give two shits about it.  I've had friends that did it recreationally, although I don't know of any now that do, and I really didn't care other than the fact I hated the smell of it.  A friend and I did make pot brownies for a party once, but her mom ended up taking them to a PTA meeting (God I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that one!).  DH smoked it once, got hungry, ate, and fell asleep.  He says he never felt the desire to do it again.  I've never done it, but after this thread, now I kinda wanna try just to see what the big deal is!  Obv when not pregnant though ;)

@jalara48, DH and I totally have seperate top bedding too.  It was a life changer!  DH is a notorious blanket stealer, and I got so tired of having to wake up and steal back the blankets (he's a roller, so all the blankets end up underneath of him).  Plus he's a furnace and always wanted fewer blankets on the bed than I did (and yes, then he'd steal my blankets).  Our marriage is much happier when we get our own blankies!
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    LapoohLapooh member
    I think I broke the pregnant lady code of honor today by not giving up my seat on the train to someone who was (looked) 7 mo pregnant. She was standing next to me but I was too tired. Oh well..
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

ADH0906 said:

Nicb13 said:

Nicb13 said:

Wow, I am really naive. Which I'm fully aware. But I am still shocked at the number of pot smokers here. No offense to anyone, but I totally thought only grubby high school kids did that. I live under a rock basically.

Lol seriously? This cracks me up. 

Me too. Whoa.

Ticket, WTF dude???? I know a shit ton of fully functioning, successful adults that smoke pot ALL-THE-TIME. I don't smoke but I probably know more people that do, over that don't.  

I just honestly don't know anyone who does. Crazy, huh?

I guess my confession is that I'm very naive about some things. Whoops.

ETA: I can't tell if you're upset or just astounded but if the former, I really wasn't trying to offend anyone with my statement. 
    :-S

Not offended at all! Just think it's nuts that you don't know any adults that do it because I'm surrounded by pot
    heads!

This blows my mind too. I don't smoke because my company drug tests, but hearing that people smoke pot doesn't make me blink an eye and I'm confused why it does for others. Then again, I was an anthropology major at a liberal arts school ;)

Haha. Well, I went to BYU if that tells you anything. ;)

I went to BYU, too!

• Options
    JJsMum said:
    Okay, so late to the party (I blame the kids), but this was actually interesting today!  Yeah, I actually made it through all 8 pages!

As far as pot, I really don't give two shits about it.  I've had friends that did it recreationally, although I don't know of any now that do, and I really didn't care other than the fact I hated the smell of it.  A friend and I did make pot brownies for a party once, but her mom ended up taking them to a PTA meeting (God I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that one!).  DH smoked it once, got hungry, ate, and fell asleep.  He says he never felt the desire to do it again.  I've never done it, but after this thread, now I kinda wanna try just to see what the big deal is!  Obv when not pregnant though ;)

@jalara48, DH and I totally have seperate top bedding too.  It was a life changer!  DH is a notorious blanket stealer, and I got so tired of having to wake up and steal back the blankets (he's a roller, so all the blankets end up underneath of him).  Plus he's a furnace and always wanted fewer blankets on the bed than I did (and yes, then he'd steal my blankets).  Our marriage is much happier when we get our own blankies!
    This made me snarf my Coke Zero.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    Over the last month, I've very, very, very seriously considered turning in my bar license. I don't know if I want to practice anymore. 

I will be using maternity leave time to find another job. 
    You're not alone. I have this thought all the time. And so does almost every attorney I know (except my husband, he freakishly likes it and it kind of grosses me out). 

Sad that your state doesn't let you do ADR for a few years - switching to all arbitration/mediation is the only thing that keeps me sane. Keep it in mind down the road! Even if you do something else in the meantime!
  • Options
    jalara48 said:
    I'm curious - for the lawyers, what kind of law do you practice?
    Mainly labor and employment law (Only because my husband talked me into starting our own firm with him, and that's his focus area).

And some family mediation (My focus area before)
  • Options
    I work for a Federal agency. Employment law and law specific to the work that my agency does.

• Options
    BBBradyBBBrady member
    I have two-
    1) I am totally against legalizing pot in my state for the sole reason of all of the morons in my area that will get as high as a kite and then drive. It is much harder to charge someone with DUI marijuana vs alcohol. Flame away, but to me, it is just as bad as drunk driving and texting while driving. Driving while impaired pisses me off. And don't tell me that you're fine to drive. I don't want to hear it. flame away :)
    2) I haven't done an intro. I am always mobile because, I'll be honest, Turning on the computer requires a lot energy. But this means that I have no idea if I can even post a picture, change my profile picture, or do any of the things that tell you people who I am. This is why I haven't even bothered to do an intro. And I don't know if I care to know these things. Oh well, I like you people. You have been a huge source of entertainment during this pregnancy. You can flame me here for this, but please don't flame me on other posts because I look like I just walked in the door. I swear I didn't. In return, I won't ask you to tell me what "gender" my kanga-T-Rex baby is by it's nub and when the lab will call me with he/she/it's sex after my prenatal testing that I have no idea why I'm having done because I didn't ask my doctor because that's why I have the bump. Good night y'all.
    DD Caitlin 8/2012, m/c 8/2013, m/c 12/2013, Rainbow baby due 10/17/2014!!!
  • Options
    BBBradyBBBrady member
    Ouch. I feel like I have participated, just without an intro. But whatevs.
    DD Caitlin 8/2012, m/c 8/2013, m/c 12/2013, Rainbow baby due 10/17/2014!!!
  • Options
    It's still Friday...

I just had my first real experience with pregnancy brain. I think. I have no other explanation. I worked out for about an hour and half, didn't have a snack for my 30 min drive home. I stopped at taco bell because I needed something to take the edge off. Surprisingly few calories considering. Got home, thought the car sounded kind of loud for cooling down, but went inside to eat. Sat and watched a marathon sesh of House, 4 episodes over like 3 hours. Decided I was going to go to bed. Once in the bedroom I heard what sounded like the dryer. Opened the garage and was met with a mouth full of exhaust pumping into the garage by the car that had been running the whole time... held my breath, ran in pulled the keys out of the ignition, hit the garage door opener and ran back inside, gulped air and stood there freaked out and dumbfounded. I am currently sitting in my driveway waiting for the garage to clear out. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    irisheyes317irisheyes317 member
    edited May 2014
    My FFFC, one day late, is that I'm sad that my job got in the way of being able to join in this thread -- there's another reason not to go to law school, ladies! Great job all around.

And I don't smoke pot, but have no problem with the people I know who do. I have texted at red lights occasionally. And I totally regret going to law school most days. I can't wait until I get these student loans finally paid off.
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
  • Options
    BBBrady said:

Stick around! It is ok if you can only post here and there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's still Friday...

I just had my first real experience with pregnancy brain. I think. I have no other explanation. I worked out for about an hour and half, didn't have a snack for my 30 min drive home. I stopped at taco bell because I needed something to take the edge off. Surprisingly few calories considering. Got home, thought the car sounded kind of loud for cooling down, but went inside to eat. Sat and watched a marathon sesh of House, 4 episodes over like 3 hours. Decided I was going to go to bed. Once in the bedroom I heard what sounded like the dryer. Opened the garage and was met with a mouth full of exhaust pumping into the garage by the car that had been running the whole time... held my breath, ran in pulled the keys out of the ignition, hit the garage door opener and ran back inside, gulped air and stood there freaked out and dumbfounded. I am currently sitting in my driveway waiting for the garage to clear out. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Holy cow! Glad you realized it was running before going to sleep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    It's still Friday... I just had my first real experience with pregnancy brain. I think. I have no other explanation. I worked out for about an hour and half, didn't have a snack for my 30 min drive home. I stopped at taco bell because I needed something to take the edge off. Surprisingly few calories considering. Got home, thought the car sounded kind of loud for cooling down, but went inside to eat. Sat and watched a marathon sesh of House, 4 episodes over like 3 hours. Decided I was going to go to bed. Once in the bedroom I heard what sounded like the dryer. Opened the garage and was met with a mouth full of exhaust pumping into the garage by the car that had been running the whole time... held my breath, ran in pulled the keys out of the ignition, hit the garage door opener and ran back inside, gulped air and stood there freaked out and dumbfounded. I am currently sitting in my driveway waiting for the garage to clear out. What. The. Actual. Fuck.
    That's terrifying! I'm so glad you're ok.
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    BBBrady said:
    That's the impression I got from what you posted above. I get that intros are mandatory, but I sure don't take the time to read them. I went back to our intro thread once after doing mine, realized that so many of those people were never going to be heard from again, and decided that it wasn't worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"