October 2014 Moms
Options

FFFC!

Re: FFFC!

• Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I stay away from pot mostly because my husband is allergic, and also because all it does is it me to sleep. That being said, maybe I should have been taking advantage of that to help me with stress-related insomnia for the past several years. It's probably easier to get than an Ambien prescription, which doctors never seem to want to give me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ADH0906ADH0906 member
    Nicb13 said:

Nicb13 said:

Wow, I am really naive. Which I'm fully aware. But I am still shocked at the number of pot smokers here. No offense to anyone, but I totally thought only grubby high school kids did that. I live under a rock basically.

Lol seriously? This cracks me up. 

Me too. Whoa.

Ticket, WTF dude???? I know a shit ton of fully functioning, successful adults that smoke pot ALL-THE-TIME. I don't smoke but I probably know more people that do, over that don't.  

I just honestly don't know anyone who does. Crazy, huh?

I guess my confession is that I'm very naive about some things. Whoops.

ETA: I can't tell if you're upset or just astounded but if the former, I really wasn't trying to offend anyone with my statement. 
    :-S

Not offended at all! Just think it's nuts that you don't know any adults that do it because I'm surrounded by pot
    heads!

This blows my mind too. I don't smoke because my company drug tests, but hearing that people smoke pot doesn't make me blink an eye and I'm confused why it does for others. Then again, I was an anthropology major at a liberal arts school ;)

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @apk4 I went through so many pictures of fish tacos to find the perfect one. Needless to say, I was really hungry by the time I was finished! I heart fish tacos :x

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    I totally judge people who do drugs, pot included.  I also feel really disappointed when I find out that someone I know smokes pot.  Like I felt disappointed and almost let down when I read all these pot smoking confessions.

I'm not sure why I have such a strong reaction to it.. I drink alcohol (obviously before the BFP) and it causes a stupor just like I imagine drugs would, but I don't mind people who drink at all.  I grew up around alcohol, though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I actually got really upset when my parents talked about how they tried it when they were younger. 
    I do not know a single person who currently smokes pot. Now I'm wondering if I am just super sheltered. :)

• Options
    I totally judge people who do drugs, pot included.  I also feel really disappointed when I find out that someone I know smokes pot.  Like I felt disappointed and almost let down when I read all these pot smoking confessions.

I'm not sure why I have such a strong reaction to it.. I drink alcohol (obviously before the BFP) and it causes a stupor just like I imagine drugs would, but I don't mind people who drink at all.  I grew up around alcohol, though, so maybe that makes a difference.

I actually got really upset when my parents talked about how they tried it when they were younger. 
    I know it's just your personal opinion, but honestly, I think it's ridiculous. Alcohol is so much more damaging to your body so I find it odd it's totally ok for people to get shit housed drunk but not ok to smoke a joint? I think what bothers me is the "I totally judge" part. I totally judge ignorant statements like that. 
    That's why I said I don't know why it bothers me so much because I don't think alcohol is a big deal.  It's probably because I never grew up around it and I did alcohol.  Drugs were always such a big no-no to me and the only exposure I've ever really had is watching the show Intervention.  The idea always scared the shit out of me, and still does.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it's an ignorant statement.  It's my opinion.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    duckr said:

Alcohol is a drug.
    It's not illegal, though... maybe that's where I have the issue.  Although I know pot is legal now in some states...

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I wish they would make pot legal here. (hah not likely in Texass) I used it years ago to help with my fibro and RA pain and it worked better than anything else and I didn't even have to get "high" for it to work.  Instead I have to take hydrocodone and steriod therapy which damages my liver, makes me so high I can't function, and has caused me to develop osteoporosis.  Yay modern medicine.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH and I have not had sex since December. He wont go any where near my vagina until they stop all the progesterone suppositories. He says he doesn't need his boobs to be any bigger. It makes me laugh but seriously, he should risk it for some good sex right?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @dorothyzbornak97 so sorry about your mom. Huge hugs.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    H and I only sleep in the same bed if we are traveling or have visitors at our house. We both sleep better and prefer it, although I know a lot of people think that it is weird.
    Like I Love Lucy or like separate rooms?
    One of sleeps in the guest bedroom. We switch around. But two twin beds could work. Of course any visitors we had who noticed it would think we are even bigger weirdos.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    duckr said:
    duckr said:

Alcohol is a drug.
    It's not illegal, though... maybe that's where I have the issue.  Although I know pot is legal now in some states...

And it use to be illegal for women to vote...
    and alcohol use to be illegal. The laws aren't always right.
    Used to be.  If alcohol was still illegal, I probably wouldn't drink it and I would probably have the same feeling about it as I do drugs that are illegal.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jcsumm0jcsumm0 member
    @TheOtherJacobsons if you go to your profile and click on the # of love-its, you can see what comments people loved.

I have never smoked/eaten pot and have no desire to but I don't care if adults do it in their own homes responsibly.  And I think it should be legal.

This ribbon has gotten me thinking about how many people I must know that use and I have no idea.

I can't think of a confession of my own.
  • Options
    H and I only sleep in the same bed if we are traveling or have visitors at our house. We both sleep better and prefer it, although I know a lot of people think that it is weird.
    I watched so much Nick at Night when I was younger, I really thought all couples in the 40s and 50s slept in separate beds...   :\">

image              image
  • Options
    duckrduckr member
    duckr said:
    duckr said:

Alcohol is a drug.

And it use to be illegal for women to vote...
    and alcohol use to be illegal. The laws aren't always right.
    Used to be.  If alcohol was still illegal, I probably wouldn't drink it and I would probably have the same feeling about it as I do drugs that are illegal.

Can't get out of QUOTE!!

See, if that is your reasoning then I don't really want to waste my time trying to broaden your narrow perspective. Hell I don't even smoke it but I sure as hell don't judge someone who does it for medical or recreational purposes. You go on judging people for smoking pot and I'll go on judging people who are ignorant.

• Options
    On pot:  I think it's not a big deal and it should be legal everywhere. The only reason people think it's so terrible is because it's criminalized. I have smoked plenty of pot in my day, and I've been drunk plenty, too, and I can say from experience that I am far more lucid and capable of doing things when I've smoked than I am drunk. Plus, pot doesn't give you a hangover, and it has actual medicinal value. Are there burnt-out stoners out there? Sure. But most of them aren't that way from just smoking pot.

P.S. Colorado made $3.5 million in tax revenue and fees from legalizing pot in ONE month. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/03/10/marijuana-revenue-colorado-taxes/6261131/

On distracted driving:  I agree with most here on having harsh feelings about this, and sorry, but I won't apologize for that. My mom died in a car accident that was caused by distracted driving (this was in the days before texting, but suffice it to say that when a truck driver doesn't pay attention, terrible shit can happen). Not saying that for sympathy or anything, just stating that I know first-hand how one person's carelessness can devastate people's lives. IDGAF what anyone says, no call/text/whatever is worth that price. 

I completely agree with the bolded.

And I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    Liss1481 said:

I watched so much Nick at Night when I was younger, I really thought all couples in the 40s and 50s slept in separate beds...   :\">
    LOL, I used to think this too! I also thought that the world used to be black and white - like all the time. Then in the 60s something happened and everything turned colorful. We watched a lot old movies, Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, and Leave it to Beaver. So I blame my mom.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to jump in and say that I've always just thought smoking pot was something people did in high school or college and then grew out of it. I know a few people that smoke as older adults, but most do not. I don't care who does what, it just isn't for me.
  • Options
    I could care less if anyone on here smokes pot, but I am surprised by various comments suggesting that the fact that it is illegal has no bearing. Just an arrest could prevent you from getting a job not to mention if you were ever convicted. Using could cause you to lose your job if your employer drug tests. Yeah maybe it's unlikely to happen, but it's not something that I would risk.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    lrobi13 said:

My mom and sister are attorneys, I completed my first year of law school and quit. People ask me all the time if I regret my decision and I ALWAYS say no!  It's no walk in the park, that's for sure.  Have either of you ever considered arbitration?  You still get paid well and they seem to always be looking for attorneys...

My stepdad is an attorney and I have worked as a legal secretary for sometime and people always ask if I want to be a lawyer.  I do not.  I get to leave my job at the door at 5pm.  When they complain about their hours I always reply " that is why you make the big bucks!".

It is not a glamorous as most people think and involves a whole bunch of paper work and phone calls!

I worked as a paralegal for 3 years and hated it. When I got my Associate degree I was planning on going forward to earn my bachelors then on to law school. I'm so glad I didn't go with that plan. My former boss had her own practice and she was miserable! Wouldn't want that misery, liability, stess, and student loans on top. I'm sure not all attorneys are miserable but I just got such an awful impression. I'm actually so scarred that I'm hesitant to even go back to the legal field when the baby is a bit older. Maybe being a legal secretary is easier to handle because they dont load you down with all the shit legal work they don't want to do? I'm going to have to look into it.
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options
    Liss1481 said:

LOL, I used to think this too! I also thought that the world used to be black and white - like all the time. Then in the 60s something happened and everything turned colorful. We watched a lot old movies, Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, and Leave it to Beaver. So I blame my mom.
    I am sure that The Wizard of Oz helped perpetuate that. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member
    JessAnnJ said:
    I could care less if anyone on here smokes pot, but I am surprised by various comments suggesting that the fact that it is illegal has no bearing. Just an arrest could prevent you from getting a job not to mention if you were ever convicted. Using could cause you to lose your job if your employer drug tests. Yeah maybe it's unlikely to happen, but it's not something that I would risk.
    I have some friends that are cops, and the impression I've gotten from them (before decriminalization) is if you got caught with a small amount on you, and you come off as an otherwise descent person, they will confiscate it and send you on your way.  Most cops just can't be bothered to arrest someone and go through all of that paperwork over a little weed.  With some cops I know, the weed they confiscate in situations like that would generally end up going home with them or their friends.

Now, they'll probably confiscate it and write you a ticket.  But I guess then they'd have to turn in the evidence.
  • Options
    This is a great discussion on weed! (Saying pot makes me feel like my dad.) My grandma had cancer and my cousins would buy her weed on the sly so she could eat through her nausea, which was terrible. I'm sure we all have anecdotal evidence as to why it's okay or not okay. For me personally, I didn't do any drugs until I was 23, and because my grandfather, mother, and uncle are all verbally abusive alcoholics, I still limit my consumption to a few glasses of wine at a time, and then only socially. I'm an engineer who used to regularly smoke to wind down after work, the way a lot of people are with alcohol. 

I try not to judge drug use (even hard drugs) because I know addiction is hard (my best friend went to rehab for addiction to opiate painkillers and alcohol), and I also know weed has a lot of benefits, especially for sick people. I think there is such a thing as overindulgence, and there are certain people who shouldn't smoke (pregnant people, and there is a link between weed and schizophrenia, if that disease runs in your family), but as more and more states legalize, I hope it becomes less demonized.

I must say, I much prefer when we talk about drugs than when we talk about capital punishment or socialized medicine!
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member

I worked as a paralegal for 3 years and hated it. When I got my Associate degree I was planning on going forward to earn my bachelors then on to law school. I'm so glad I didn't go with that plan. My former boss had her own practice and she was miserable! Wouldn't want that misery, liability, stess, and student loans on top. I'm sure not all attorneys are miserable but I just got such an awful impression. I'm actually so scarred that I'm hesitant to even go back to the legal field when the baby is a bit older. Maybe being a legal secretary is easier to handle because they dont load you down with all the shit legal work they don't want to do? I'm going to have to look into it.

Nope I get to do paralegal type stuff too and they love it because we don't have to bill the client.  I will say I work at a pretty big firm with several regional offices.  For they most part we have a very friendly relaxed vibe and on most days it is pretty awesome. 

I prefer being a legal secretary over being a paralegal because I don't have to bill.  If I had to bill there would be no bumping for me! 

@dorothyzbornak97:  So sorry about your mom.

My DH hates pot and has never touched it.  So he feels strongly about it so I don't use it.  I have tried it and can take or leave it but I really do wish more research can be done about medical marijuana.  It seems like it can truly be a godsend to all sorts of people.

• Options
    SusieBW said:

JessAnnJ said:

I have some friends that are cops, and the impression I've gotten from them (before decriminalization) is if you got caught with a small amount on you, and you come off as an otherwise descent person, they will confiscate it and send you on your way.  Most cops just can't be bothered to arrest someone and go through all of that paperwork over a little weed.  With some cops I know, the weed they confiscate in situations like that would generally end up going home with them or their friends.

Now, they'll probably confiscate it and write you a ticket.  But I guess then they'd have to turn in the evidence.

I get that it's not likely, but I personally don't want to leave my fate in the hands of a random cop I don't know. Like I said not worth it for me. Illegal is still illegal.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Chiming in on the pot discussion, I'm kind of anti-pot as well. An extremely close family member passed away from a drug overdose and I don't think she would have ever hit the hard stuff had it not been for gateway drugs like pot. Not saying that all pot users progress to heroin use but I don't think there's a heroin addict who hadn't started with pot. My step mother is a functioning pot head and can't go a day with out it. I don't dislike her but can't help feeling a loss of respect for her because of that dependency. Just my opinion though which is majorly affected by my extreme loss.
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options
    duckr said:

Alcohol is a drug.

And cigarettes are really great too, right? And what about rx painkillers that turn people into addicted zombies? As long as it's legal. 
    I never said there aren't consequences to drinking alcohol.  Cigarettes are terrible, and of course taking prescription painkillers not as directed is terrible too.  

Alcohol can destroy a lot of lives, I never said it was great.  And if it was illegal, I probably wouldn't drink it.  I guess something about the stigma of it being illegal gets to me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I knew I'd get flamed to hell and back, and you ladies did not disappoint! 

Yes, texting and driving is a terrible thing. I'm not going to attempt any justifications or defenses. I have curbed the habit a lot of the last few years, but still catch myself on the phone. I am making a conscious effort to stop. 

I am deeply sorry to everyone who has been affected by distracted driving - texting, drinking, eating, playing on the radio. 
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options
    ADH0906 said:
    Wow, I am really naive. Which I'm fully aware. But I am still shocked at the number of pot smokers here. No offense to anyone, but I totally thought only grubby high school kids did that. I live under a rock basically.
    Lol seriously? This cracks me up. 

Me too. Whoa.

Ticket, WTF dude???? I know a shit ton of fully functioning, successful adults that smoke pot ALL-THE-TIME. I don't smoke but I probably know more people that do, over that don't.  

I just honestly don't know anyone who does. Crazy, huh?

I guess my confession is that I'm very naive about some things. Whoops.

ETA: I can't tell if you're upset or just astounded but if the former, I really wasn't trying to offend anyone with my statement. 
    :-S
    Not offended at all! Just think it's nuts that you don't know any adults that do it because I'm surrounded by pot heads!
    This blows my mind too. I don't smoke because my company drug tests, but hearing that people smoke pot doesn't make me blink an eye and I'm confused why it does for others. Then again, I was an anthropology major at a liberal arts school ;)
    Haha. Well, I went to BYU if that tells you anything. ;)
    That explains it all.

• Options
    lrobi13 said:

My mom and sister are attorneys, I completed my first year of law school and quit. People ask me all the time if I regret my decision and I ALWAYS say no!  It's no walk in the park, that's for sure.  Have either of you ever considered arbitration?  You still get paid well and they seem to always be looking for attorneys...

My stepdad is an attorney and I have worked as a legal secretary for sometime and people always ask if I want to be a lawyer.  I do not.  I get to leave my job at the door at 5pm.  When they complain about their hours I always reply " that is why you make the big bucks!".

It is not a glamorous as most people think and involves a whole bunch of paper work and phone calls!

I cringe when someone suggests that I "make the big bucks." I don't even made the medium bucks. And it's completely inappropriate to say anything in retort. 

As for the suggestion on arbitration, at least in Louisiana, you have to have several years of practice before you can arbitrate/mediate. 
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Chiming in on the pot discussion, I'm kind of anti-pot as well. An extremely close family member passed away from a drug overdose and I don't think she would have ever hit the hard stuff had it not been for gateway drugs like pot. Not saying that all pot users progress to heroin use but I don't think there's a heroin addict who hadn't started with pot. My step mother is a functioning pot head and can't go a day with out it. I don't dislike her but can't help feeling a loss of respect for her because of that dependency. Just my opinion though which is majorly affected by my extreme loss.
    Except the ones who start out on prescription opiates and move on to the harder stuff chasing that pill high. It kills me how pot gets such a bad rap when your local pharmacy is dishing out far more dangerous (and legal!) drugs every single day.
    This is EXACTLY what happened to my BFF and my cousin. BFF was put on Vicodin after dental surgery, and he was completely hooked. Before that, he did nothing, but afterward was smoking weed, buying pills and drinking to achieve the high. My cousin was in the hospital on a morphine drip, and when he got out, he went straight to heroin. My BFF is in recovery, and my cousin died in 2010 after trying to shoot up whatever is inside a Fentanyl patch. So there you go, @imagine7696030614, a heroin addict who didn't start with weed.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    jcsumm0jcsumm0 member
    Like I said, I don't care if adults use pot responsibly.  And I know that it is not physically addicting.  But you will never, ever convince me that it does not cause psychological dependance in some people and is detrimental to their lives because of that.
  • Options
    ADH0906ADH0906 member
    Nicb13 said:

pushgal84 said:

jalara48 said:

*snipped*

What other people do for *ahem* recreational activities is none of my damn business. Pot, sex clubs, swinging, flying kites, etc.. Nor do I have a right to judge them less I want them to judge me.

*snipped*

Whoa lady, you don't care if other people fly kites?! I judge all kite flyers. I mean, who do they think they are, harnessing the wind... for fun! It's disgusting and I'm surprised it's even legal.

I think kites are SUPER lame but DS really wants to go fly one so I guess I have to!

That GIF is like a breath of fresh air.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"