November 2014 Moms

Awkward questions & comments said to you when you announced

Re: Awkward questions & comments said to you when you announced

• Love this thread! Still haven't told the MIL (managed to put it off still, I'm 13wk4d). Told the FIL & he was like "was it planned?". Now he knows were are infertile, how the hell would we manage to have an unplanned baby, like really? Sex? Yeah no, doesn't work like that. Like I didn't notice having almost $11K worth of medical treatments & my husband & I injecting me with $5K worth of drugs? Like it all happened accidently? Dumb!!! I love him actually though, great guy but has been pretty stupid about some of his reproductive comments over the years. Like after we had out son, are you going to try for a sibling? That's right up there on the top of the list of things not to say to an infertile, none of your dam business unless you want to start paying our medical bills! Ok vent over! lol Love him really, promise! :-)
  • I was talking to somebody about the age difference between DD and this LO. A friend of FI's walked over and asked how old DD was. I told him that she was 17months and would be about 22 months when the next baby made an appearance. He looked at me and said, "Wait, I thought people were pregnant for nine months. She will be 22 months in five months. How does that work??" I guess it slipped FI's mind to tell this friend. The poor guy looked so confused. I had to try so hard to keep a straight face (and failed) while I told him that it would only work if I were already four months pregnant. His jaw dropped, he stared down at my belly, and exclaimed, "Seriously?! For real?!" It made me laugh so hard.
    That's cute.  Men can be so silly about these things!

• Loading the player...
  • GinaD523GinaD523 member
    edited May 2014
    I had a friend tell me that she knew because I told her had eaten crackers that morning.
  • If I have to hear "well hopefully you get a boy and a girl so you can be done after that" one more time!!! I love how people feel like they can decide how many kids we are allowed to have.  

Nov '14 June Siggy Challenge--Dream Vacation
    Bora Bora

TTC since 3/2009 PCOS, Hypothyroid, both Fallopian tubes blocked *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 
    Treatment IVF Cycle #1 (12/2013) ... BFN :-(

IVF Cycle #2 (2/2014) 
    2/21/14 ER..2/24/14 ET - 3 Grade 8 embryos transferred 
    6dp3dt very faint BFP!!  - it's TWINS!!! EDD 11/14/14
     *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've discovered nearly everyone knows someone who went through IF and then got pregnant - it seems to be the top discussion point for most everyone when we tell them our news. 

I've gotten a lot of "See I just knew/told you that you'd get pregnant once you adopted.  That's how it always works"  (Umm... no, not really, but since your a cute little old lady saying this I'm gonna let it slide)

I've had now 3 bone-headed male co-workers ask this question (in almost the exact same way) "but wait, you just adopted right?  So, like, did you adopt because you just wanted to, or because you couldn't.... get..." (they usually realize by this time that they shouldn't be asking this question.  I just stare and wait and make them squirm to finish what they started)  "because you couldn't get pregnant?" People mean well, but they can sure be nosy!
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love this thread!

I just announced at work last Friday and 2 people at 2 separate times looked at my belly and said "Yeah I thought you were" WTF I'm like 13 weeks along!!  Thanks for calling me fat you assholes.

SIL - Wow you are going to be busy

DH's grandmother - I thought you weren't having any more

I've gotten too many "Was it planned?" and "Is this happy news?" to even mention
    dancing animated GIF
    N14 November Siggy Challenge - Celebration
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageBabyFruit Ticker

• Maelara said:

@mussalynn‌ it totally was a typo but when you pointed it out it made me laugh pretty hard too! I have one whole feeling XD

I read that as completely normal. My mom tells us "it's a good thing I don't have feelings left. You may have hurt my last one."
  • jlove253jlove253 member
    edited June 2014

Wait, i think i am confused. Isn't your mil the one who wants to buy all the baby stuff (including the diaper bag)? Regardless, that is a terrible reaction! I'd be so hurt.

I don't think I ever posted here...

When SO told his father I'm pregnant, FIL slapped him across the face... and a few weeks later his wife told us if we were smart we would abort. Ummm... fuck you very much. Needless to say they are going to have nothing to do with this baby.

I was expecting all hell to break loose when my grandmother found out but she was thrilled... go figure.

Edit- wrong quote first. All fixed now :)
  • mmedusa8 said:

One of my bosses asked "is it with your husband?"  @-)

and another boss, just kept saying "I'm so sorry this happened to you... unless you were planning it... but I'm still sorry, no way I'd do it" 

come on people. sheesh. keep it to yourself lol. 
    What a pair your bosses are. Geez. It's shocking to me what people think is appropriate conversation at work.
  • @Mommieofdrew - My husband is a manager at a Jack in the Box and it annoys me when he gets that sidelong look from (usually older) people. It always feels like (and one actually said) "but, you're going to be a father. You need a real job now." 

The kicker? The person who said that doesn't make as much money as him at her own employment.
    imageimageimage
  • My hairdresser was convinced I was lying to her and just trying to fool her. She kept trying to figure me out. Not sure why she thinks I'm the type to try to fool her, since I've never been like that.

I thought she'd come around by the end of the appointment, but then DH said a couple days later when he went that she still thought it was a big hoax!

Like wtf?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We've had the standard "was it planned?" And "you know how that happens right?" Why no, no it wasn't planned but I'm very excited nonetheless and yes, yes I do know how that works, I wasn't dropped on my head as a child. I can understand those though as we've only been married since last Nov. however, this one really gets me, "you won't go full term I think you'll have it mid oct(I'm due Nov 26th)" and "oh you're definitely having a C-Section!" All of this is based on my "size" I am 5'4" and weighed 105 when I we found out. Apparently this makes me to small to be normal. I just tell them, well my doctors have no concerns so I guess we'll see. I find that whole thing to be a little insensitive.
  • We've had the standard "was it planned?" And "you know how that happens right?" Why no, no it wasn't planned but I'm very excited nonetheless and yes, yes I do know how that works, I wasn't dropped on my head as a child. I can understand those though as we've only been married since last Nov. however, this one really gets me, "you won't go full term I think you'll have it mid oct(I'm due Nov 26th)" and "oh you're definitely having a C-Section!" All of this is based on my "size" I am 5'4" and weighed 105 when I we found out. Apparently this makes me to small to be normal. I just tell them, well my doctors have no concerns so I guess we'll see. I find that whole thing to be a little insensitive.
    I'm 5'1" and started out at 110 lbs, and with DS I went full term plus two days and had a perfectly healthy 7 lb 13 oz baby.  (I had to have a c-section but completely unrelated to my size or DS' size - he was breech.)  Don't worry, you will be just fine!
    imageimage

• Co-Worker: "Oh, you're due in November? Then it must have been a Valentines Day baby! You know what they say, all babies born in November are Valentines Day babies!!"

Um, no. First, don't think about when we conceived. Second, this wasn't a Valentines Day baby, I would know!

I've only gotten one "Was it planned?" response. I was expecting it, but I hadn't figured out how to answer it without answering it. I parkour'd hard around that question.

When we finally announced of Facebook last week, my BIL was one of the first people to know early on. He commented on our announcement post "About time I can safely tell people..." That comment BEYOND irritated me. Sorry we didn't announce on YOUR terms so you could tell people. Sorry you were one of the few special people we wanted to tell early on. Why couldn't you have just said "Congrats, I'm happy for you two"? I dunno, this could just be the hormones...
  • So apparently my Hubby had one yesterday. Ran into one of our neighbors (he's a single dad with a few kids) and Hubby said we are expecting twins.

Apparently neighbor was like "Was it planned...my ex was dumping her birth control pills down the sink. That's how we had our first."

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited June 2014
    akshowers said:

Co-Worker: "Oh, you're due in November? Then it must have been a Valentines Day baby! You know what they say, all babies born in November are Valentines Day babies!!"

Um, no. First, don't think about when we conceived. Second, this wasn't a Valentines Day baby, I would know!

I've only gotten one "Was it planned?" response. I was expecting it, but I hadn't figured out how to answer it without answering it. I parkour'd hard around that question.

HAHA @ "parkouring" around the question

Ps. I hate the valentine's baby comments too.

Since I announced about a month ago, people see me and say "you don't look pregnant yet." what do they expect? I guarantee these will be the same people who tell me I look like I'm gonna pop at 7 months.

BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• ClrkKntismyAE I've learned my lesson. He's not the most sensitive guy in the world. With the next baby, he can wait.

ssstephanie214 Seriously. I was impressed myself how I dodged the question. And the Valentines Day comment totally caught me off guard! So much awkwardness.

• Hooray for thread resurrection @AeandJb‌ ! This is a good one & we have so many new ladies to hear from now.
  • Yesterday I told MIL the first name we have picked; Jocelyn. Her response was "That's a mouthful." Uh, no it's not. DD1's name is actually longer and apparently more difficult to say judging my the number of mispronunciations we get. Jocelyn may not be common but it's hardly a mouthful.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• From my friend who just had a baby and was in the thick of newborn stage: "Oh honey, you have no idea." Then, "We could have let you have her for one night but it's too late for you to try a test drive now." :-S

The newborn stage is hard but it gets better, I promise :)
  • The worst one I've gotten was from someone I thought was a very close friend. "Well I better hang out with you now before you drop out of my life forever." WTF. She has only been around once since I found out in March.

• So apparently my Hubby had one yesterday. Ran into one of our neighbors (he's a single dad with a few kids) and Hubby said we are expecting twins.

Apparently neighbor was like "Was it planned...my ex was dumping her birth control pills down the sink. That's how we had our first."

Oh my gosh! Awkward! Your poor husband!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So besides the constant "was it planned?" Or the "do twins run in your family?" which I just always reply yes to because technically they do lol...I had an awkward question moment this past wknd. I was giving this guy that I know a ride home and after I mentioned that I was expecting twins he asked me if I had to take drugs and stuff to get them....what the heck!?!?! I'm not close to him at all..just an acquaintance, why would he find it ok to ask if I went through fertility treatments. It's none of his business!
    Nov '14 June Siggy Challenge--Dream Vacation
    Bora Bora

TTC since 3/2009 PCOS, Hypothyroid, both Fallopian tubes blocked *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 
    Treatment IVF Cycle #1 (12/2013) ... BFN :-(

IVF Cycle #2 (2/2014) 
    2/21/14 ER..2/24/14 ET - 3 Grade 8 embryos transferred 
    6dp3dt very faint BFP!!  - it's TWINS!!! EDD 11/14/14
     *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • This is our third and the number of people who have asked if it was planned or if I was "okay with it" is staggering (this includes both sets of parents despite us saying we may have a third for year or more). 
  • @mandylovesmike‌ to be fair, my sister and I are only 14 months apart and we did give my dad an especially hard time at 13 - 14. He's the type of person very uncomfortable with tampons and feelings.

But I get why that makes you upset.

I think comments about fertility treatments or age are the rudest. I know that pregnant women are sort of on display just by the nature of a big round belly, but to me making and carrying a baby is a very personal event.
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"