April 2014 Moms
Options

Do you complain?

Re: Do you complain?

• Options
    edited October 2013

I have only complained once, and it was because we got no service. One girl took our drink and appetizer order and we never saw her back at our table again. Someone brought the drinks and appetizers out and that was it. We sat there for an hour and nobody came to take a dinner order and we couldn't get anyone to acknowledge us. We went inside (we were on the patio) and told a manager that we didn't have a server and we were wanting to order food, but we were leaving because nobody would wait on us.

Almost forgot to mention... we have never been back there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stacey0616 " I cannot IMAGINE talking to wait staff the way Springs1 apparently does."

What way do you think I talk to them? I only said something back to the waiter at Carnival De Brazil because he LIED to OUR FACES FIRST by saying it's a misprint when it's not.  That was the price we consented to when we ordered. If it was a misprint, obviously they wouldn't have fixed it and the manager would have came by to tell us this. He LIED to save his tip. His response after I had told him "You know we don't order from the computer, right" should have been "I'm SO SORRY about this." Instead his response was "I fixed it didn't I" DEFENSIVE and VERY EXTREMELY SELFISH response.  His money isn't *ANY* more important than ours.  Servers out there, your money is holier than thou. OUR MONEY IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS ANYONE ELSE'S IN THIS WORLD! We don't have to BOW down to it.
  • Options
    bacorrea
    "Attacking my character and calling me a jerk is immature."

No, you are paying someone to give bad service ****AFFECTING OTHERS********, so YEAH you are VERY SELFISH! We tip according to the *SERVICE*, NOT just because the servers make only $2.13/hr. As I said in my other post, servers money isn't *ANY* more important than our money.
  • Options
    I rarely ever complain. I was a server for a long time so I can sympathize unless someone is blantantly not doing their job, then I tip accordingly.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    Springs1 said:

bacorra
    "I disagree. Where I worked we had "runners" on the weekends when we were
    busy."

This has NOTHING to do with the tip though. If the runner brings out the wrong side dish, the server is STILL going to get a lowered tip. That person was part of my *SERVICE*, which is what I am tipping on. If the server wants them to work for their tip, they might want to consider paying a dollar for helping their tip out, otherwise, why would they read the ticket or computer screen order? What INCENTIVE would they have when it's not their money on the line, huh?

"This person was paid hourly and didn't get any percentage of our
    tips."

Doesn't matter.  WHO CARES? That person was in my service. I don't care what they get paid. I care about having good *SERVICE*, NOT *WHO* in the service messed my stuff up.

Also, if it's condiments that are wrong or missing, that's 100% on the server, NOT the other server or food runner, because they can bring those out ahead of time.

"I
    think that sometimes it is the servers fault, but I don't think it is
    *most* of the time."

Did you even *READ* my examples? Most issues are VISIBLE TO THE EYES WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FOOD! If you are talking about that the server isn't at fault for if the server put in the order correctly, but the food runner/other server brought it out with obvious things wrong, while the server isn't at fault, the TIP WILL be altered in most cases, because the customers had bad service. So it truly doesn't matter if the other server brought out the wrong side dish for example if the server put in the order correctly, because for starters, the customer doesn't know if the order was put in correctly because they can even fix it before they print the check to cover their asses and also, it's part of their service.

Also, you said you had runners, A LOT of times even when it is busy we have had OUR OWN SERVER bring us our food.

Also, as I said before, I have the most issue with condiments missing. THAT is ALWAYS a server mistake, because they can be brought out ahead of time.

"Also a server isn't allowed to comp your food, a
    manager has too."

Not true since the server can pay for something themselves if they *CHOOSE* to. So this is VERY FALSE!

I would hate to be your server/waitress, that would be a FML kind of a day. What's the big deal- do you never make mistakes?! Never forget to put something on the table at home? I for one think it's rude to complain unless it's not fully cooked or they bring something out that is not what I ordered. Even then, I still am polite and do not want to ruin anyone's day! Maybe they are understaffed and this is her first week, give em a break.
    I am not perfect and I do not expect perfection from servers. I always have a good experience and really is it going to kill you if the cook accidentally placed sour cream on your plate? Or to please ask again for a side of ranch? They are just trying to do their job and at any restaurant the faster they get the food to you, the faster you leave, the more business they get. Faster doesn't always mean better but then I would assume that you would complain about the wait of your meal... And something would probably still be wrong. I would suggest trying to be more positive when entering a restaurant and seeing how your experience turns out :)

That's all I have to say!

• Options
    For me as long as they are paying attention to us it's fine. I do expect to be greeted by the server right away. I rarely return food, but I have had servers insist that they bring me something the correct way. If they are rude then tip goes down. I am pretty understanding that everyone makes mistakes, or has an off day, or might be new. Or if clearly the restaurant is very busy.
  • Options
    RE the word "retard", I figured she is just stirring the pot anyways so why even go there. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    To actually answer OP... I've paid my bills will food service jobs before (hostess, server, bartender), and I don't hesitate to speak up if my order is wrong or my drink is forgotten.  I'm always polite about it, and I rarely see the need to dock the tip (we do 20%+ unless the service is just completely piss-poor, like if our server is blatantly rude). We have spoken to managers on occasion, but usually in response to really shitty management of the restaurant -- the two times I can think of, we'd had reservations for weeks and still had to wait 45 minutes, without much of an apology from the hostessing staff. No excuse for that. 
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Well.  This was fun to wake up to. 

Please, Sweet Baby Cheese-us, let some poor server somewhere get up the nerve to put Visine in Springs' coke. 

Also, are we going to let her get away with the use of "retard?"

You should see the Drama Hounds thread. Jesus
    Oh I saw it last night -- I only made it through 3 pages of F14's bullshit before my mind was blown apart too much to continue.  
  • Options
    There was a hair on my salad at Olive Garden so I only had a tiny bit until I came to the hair. Waitress's asked if I was done I said yes. There was a hair in it so I was done. Not mean it anything just as an explanation. She asked if I wanted a new one I said not it was time for the main attraction. Again I was not mean I didn't ask to speak with a super. But they comped my entire meal and my mothers! We left a great tip.

Then I was at blue goose with the inlaws and ordered chicken taquitos. I came across a very sharp bone that ha I been scarfing down my food in true pregnant me fashion could have been disastrous. So when asked how was my meal I told them that there was a bone. They offered another taquito but I was stuffed and said no thanks. They comped my dish.

I think it's silly not to mention when there is in fact something wrong. I don't do it to get a free meal. But most like a just so you know kinda thing. It's a waiter/waitress job to give good service. They can't properly do their job if everyone is scared to speak up.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Well.  This was fun to wake up to. 

Please, Sweet Baby Cheese-us, let some poor server somewhere get up the nerve to put Visine in Springs' coke. 

Also, are we going to let her get away with the use of "retard?"

You should see the Drama Hounds thread. Jesus
    Oh I saw it last night -- I only made it through 3 pages of F14's bullshit before my mind was blown apart too much to continue.  
    One of F14's worker bees came to defend them. Ah what a wonderful way to spend a lazy Saturday morning.
    Just saw that... and just threw my hat into the Ring of Crazy.  My child is with her grandparents and my husband is asleep... why the hell not. 
  • Options

Generally I don't complain, for the reasons you mentioned, and I always tip 20%, even for crappy service. But I will go home and write an honest yelp review of my experiences. Passive aggressive, yes, but I don't feel comfortable voicing any concerns in person, unless its something obvious (bug in the food, dirty glass, etc).

Yikes, please don't come to my restaurant!! As a manager who handles issues for people, I would SO much rather you let us know how we can serve you better, and after we take care of the problem most of those guests feel so well taken care of that they are even more loyal customers and remember their server, etc... If you don't let us know and then give us a terrible review we have no opportunity to make it right for you!
  • Options
    nessabeers
    "I would hate to be your server/waitress,"

That's because you are TOO LAZY AND UNCARING to serve me.  That's why.

"What's the big deal- do you never make mistakes?! Never forget to put something on the table at home?"

You don't get that MOST of the issues ARE NOT MISTAKES, most are LACKS OF **********EFFORT************* on the job.  If the server isn't willing to write down your order, you even tell them, but they refuse, they get things wrong, HOW is those "MISTAKES" when the server didn't ***************TRY**************** to get them right, huh? It's not.  It would be not writing a list for the grocery store and then forgetting something.

"for one think it's rude to complain unless it's not fully cooked or they bring something out that is not what I ordered."

How is it rude to get what you ordered? I mean that makes no sense since you are *PAYING* for the SERVICE and the FOOD???

"Even then, I still am polite and do not want to ruin anyone's day! "

I am polite too, but will ruin their day if they ruin my outing by giving a bad tip or no tip. It's only fair. If I see the tried their best, that's a 100% COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, but in most cases, most servers aren't trying their best. They are just bringing food out without comparing the order for obvious errors.

"Maybe they are understaffed and this is her first week, give em a break."

As I said before, you act like the server's money is MORE IMPORTANT than ANYONE ELSE'S IN THIS WORLD as if we have to "BOW" DOWN TO THEM LIKE THEY ARE HOLY OR SOMETHING. WHY IS THAT? WHY FEEL SORRY, LIKE THE POOR SERVER THIS THE POOR SERVER THAT BS? WHY?

If it's their first week, if it's my first time there, if I know more than them that's a HUGE ISSUE and there have been a NUMBER of situations like that where it wasn't their first week, but more like their first few weeks.

Give them a break when they ****************************TRY****************************** THEIR BEST AND SHOW THEY ****************CARE******************* about me as a person. They aren't more important than I am. WE ARE EQUALS IN THIS WORLD!

I give them a break when I see they are busting their asses off. I don't give them a break when I see them playing around or not willing to write down my orders and/or request, bringing out 2-5 obvious mistakes on the plate, etc.

"I am not perfect and I do not expect perfection from servers."

I am not perfect either, but ****THEY****** EXPECT 20% PERFECT SCORE, SO WHAT'S THE DAMN DIFFERENCE HERE, HUH? They expect a perfect score, so why should they expect a perfect tip if they didn't do an almost perfect job to a perfect job, huh?

I always have a good experience and really is it going to kill you if the cook accidentally placed sour cream on your plate?"

If it's a condiment I don't like that is touching my food it does affect the taste like pickles on a plate have juices that go all over my fries and bun of a burger.

Sour cream I do like and even if I didn't as long as it didn't touch anything, no big deal. My issue is with servers that forget the condiments that could have brought them out WELLLLLLL BEFORE my food was ready, but didn't if they are that forgetful.

"Or to please ask again for a side of ranch?"

I do ask for it again, but I don't get a sorry most of the times even times when I didn't even haven't even had to remind them that they remembered right when they brought it said "I will bring the ranch out in a moment", NO SORRY TO SPEAK OF, but I ********STILL SAY THANK YOU THOUGH**************! Who is the person here that is mean? THE SERVER IS BY NOT SAYING THEY ARE SORRY! 

More off the tip when they don't say they are sorry, because remember tipping is voluntary. If you want my money, BE NICE, DUH!

"They are just trying to do their job"

NO, their job is to *TRY* to get the order right the 1ST TIME AROUND, NOT to mess up things.  That's not their job to mess up things IDIOT!

"and at any restaurant the faster they get the food to you, the faster you leave, the more business they get."

Then WHY when I ask for a dessert or last bar drink *AND* the check, the freakin wait to give me the check until the dessert or last bar drink arrives OR they wait until we are in the middle of the dessert or last bar drink to get the check? You may say in case something goes wrong, but we aren't PAYING at that point.  We are READING the check.  It doesn't hurt to get it, but for some weird reason, they wait to give the check even if they had the customer's consent to bring it, in fact a REQUEST to bring it. Some servers will bring it before the last item when I have asked for both the check and the last item, but MOST won't. I don't get that? You want me out of there just as much as the business does as much as we do, WHY HOLD US UP UNNECESSARILY? Also, if the customers ask for a dessert without requesting the check, why do servers not ask if you want the check too so that way they can get your check out BEFORE the dessert arrives? That doesn't mean you have to *PAY* until you see if you like the last item or if there was a problem with it.

Also, WHY do servers that are triple sat or double sat decide to take all 3 orders rather than going get each one making the 1st table wait WAYYYY LONGER for their food, even the 2nd table's food is delayed by the 3rd table's food? If they wanted us out faster, they'd go by TURNS, first table gets greeted orders their drinks, a mini-greet for the second table to say" I will be right with you all", come back with the drinks if they aren't bar ones, if they are then the server may come back with waters ask if they are ready to order, if they are, get the order, put the order into the computer, THEN go to the second table and do the same exact thing for the next tables.  Also, WHY triple seat a server? It's not speeding up anything.  If you take all 3 table's food orders before going to the computer, you are taking up 5-10 minutes of time for your first 2 tables that could be having their food faster.  Every second counts.

Also, the "hands full in, hands full out" with the prebussing is not a good way to speed up people leaving as well.  If the person wants a refill before they leave, in order to go into the kitchen, the server has to find some dirty dishes first. That IS *TIME* right THERE where the customer can 't leave because the has to clean up first.  So NO, you are VERY WRONG that you think that businesses want you to leave fast. If they did, they'd STOP DOING THESE THINGS!

"Faster doesn't always mean better but then I would assume that you would complain about the wait of your meal.."

I'd rather wait longer to get things correctly than to get it 2 minutes sooner wrong.  That's ANYBODY that feels that way and you know it. NO ONE WANTS THEIR ORDER WRONG, NOT EVEN YOU!

"And something would probably still be wrong."

"I would suggest trying to be more positive when entering a restaurant and seeing how your experience turns out."

The problem is I TRY, so my expectations aren't met a lot of times because of that. I see the glass half full when I go into a restaurant through my perspective. I don't think negatively unless the server completely refuses to write down my order, then I am on pins and needles until I get my food, which usually I am right for worrying.
  • Options
    AprilMay9
    "How terrible can a meal really be if you are in good company and blessed enough to afford a night out?"

But for me the servers RUIN my outings at times.  I can be happy with the person I am with, the food taste great, but if the service isn't good, it affects me personally. It hurts my feelings and my heart.

It's about being a hard, caring worker. I wouldn't do what some of the servers have done to us as far as how they *HANDLED* the issues.  Like the waiter that blamed the menu on the wrong price. A piece of paper isn't to blame, that's common sense. A lot of servers are mean and selfish assholes.
  • Options
    I worked for hospitality for 6 years in hotels and we always cater to the guest no matter what so when I have really bad service don't complain but I leave a smaller tip mind you I am a very good tiper

February SIggy Challenge: Fav Movie/TV Couple

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I have to let it escalate quite a bit bc I've been in the foodservice industry too and I feel like, in general, people have bad days. However, when I reach that point, I'm done and the interrogator in me comes out. (I'm so thankful that I had that profession!)
  • Options

AprilMay9 said:
    I have to stop feeding this troll but I can't stop.
    I am NOT A TROLL!
  • Options
    bacorrea said:

Springs1 said:

spano41 "but I have tipped poorly on occasion....not for messed up food, but for poor service"

Messed up food though is usually MOST of the time your server's fault or another server's fault, which *IS* the service. Forgotten items, wrong items, obviously wrongly prepared food such as ribs have bbq sauce but you ordered them with none, etc.

If you still give 20% or more for server errors you are hurting yourself as well as other customers.  Unless the server is apologizing and/or comp, they won't get at least 20%. The tip will be lowered depending on the mistake, how long did they take to correct it(such as when I told them, did they go to 3 other tables without being called over and buss a table before getting my situation fixed(in other words something they can CONTROL or if it's a condiment that they take 10 minutes to get it or just a minute or so.

Why do you feel messed up food in most cases isn't a service issue? Your server isn't BLIND OR ILLITERATE if *THEY* bring you your food. Even if they don't, that other server is part of YOUR SERVICE that you tip for. Also, any condiments can be brought out ahead of time. So can something like if someone wanted extra pickles or onions on the side, that can be brought out ahead of time as well.

I disagree. Where I worked we had "runners" on the weekends when we were busy. This person was paid hourly and didn't get any percentage of our tips. There were times that the cooks didn't make something probably, and a runner brought the table their food and people were upset. Yes servers do make mistakes! One time I was SO busy I completely forgot to ring in a tables order. I felt awful and told them it was my fault. I think that sometimes it is the servers fault, but I don't think it is *most* of the time. Also a server isn't allowed to comp your food, a manager has too.

Springs1 said:

spano41 "but I have tipped poorly on occasion....not for messed up food, but for poor service"

Messed up food though is usually MOST of the time your server's fault or another server's fault, which *IS* the service. Forgotten items, wrong items, obviously wrongly prepared food such as ribs have bbq sauce but you ordered them with none, etc.

If you still give 20% or more for server errors you are hurting yourself as well as other customers.  Unless the server is apologizing and/or comp, they won't get at least 20%. The tip will be lowered depending on the mistake, how long did they take to correct it(such as when I told them, did they go to 3 other tables without being called over and buss a table before getting my situation fixed(in other words something they can CONTROL or if it's a condiment that they take 10 minutes to get it or just a minute or so.

Why do you feel messed up food in most cases isn't a service issue? Your server isn't BLIND OR ILLITERATE if *THEY* bring you your food. Even if they don't, that other server is part of YOUR SERVICE that you tip for. Also, any condiments can be brought out ahead of time. So can something like if someone wanted extra pickles or onions on the side, that can be brought out ahead of time as well.

Wow, it looks like I missed some drama. Just to clarify my point, I would definitely adjust tip based on how a messed up order situation is handled, but since dh will never alert them to the problem, they really have no chance to ameliorate the situation. People make mistakes whether it be the waiter or the kitchen, as human beings we need to be understanding that nobody is perfect. I would hope people would be understanding when I make small mistakes in my job so I am understanding when people make mistakes in theirs. When it comes down to it, it's just food. As long as they are doing their best to make the situation right, I don't get too upset.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    On the other hand.. @springs1 please come to my restaurant. That shit would be hilarious.
  • Options
    I posted and got to read the first page before leaving yesterday for the evening.  I am sorry I missed all this!

• Options
    There are several of us in our family who do/have cooked or baked professionally.  I also waited tables in my much younger years so I have that front of the house experience as well. 

I'm pretty relaxed, in general, and don't get upset super easily.  I'll offer polite correction when necessary, because it is good for people to know where they can improve.  We are always kind and tip generously, and if we think a particular server is exceptionally good, we will ask to sit in their section.  We also offer feedback via avenues such as yelp, and we do send compliment letters or post compliments on a place's facebook page.  It's important to give positive feedback so that people know what they are doing well.  There are enough people out there who are almost impossible to please and/or incurably, chronically rude that a smile and a compliment are sometimes much needed. 
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I'm not a complainer. I think if you've ever worked in any kind of service industry, you have more of a heart for others who work in it as well.

I've sent food back before if it was really poorly prepared, and I've definitely let a server know if something was forgotten and/or not what we ordered. But it takes A LOT for me to send something back, and if I just didn't like it because I ordered the wrong thing, I deal with it because I figured that's my mistake. Good servers though, they notice when I haven't eaten, and offer to find something else. That's awesome customer service.

The only time we've ever taken it to a manager was when we literally had a server give us out drinks and then disappear for over 45 minutes without having taken our order. The manager assigned another server to us, and we made sure that that server got our tip.

That being said, i've only had a few truly awful service experiences. The way I handled it was to tip as we usually would, and talk to the manager privately about it afterwards, either by phone, or ask the hostess to speak with them privately if they were available. I handled it this way because my point wasn't to get the person in trouble, but to let the manager know that a behavior was going on that could affect their business. I tipped the same because shorting someone on a tip doesn't make the server think they should change. All it does is make the server mad, and doesn't do anything to actually change the behavior, because there's no accountability. But I've found that letting the manager know there was a problem outside the context of the meal (which eliminates them feeling that I may have an agenda of trying to get something for free) actually helps improve the service.

I like to approach things more from the other direction though, with positive reinforcement. I can't tell you how many times the server has gone above and beyond and has been absolutely amazing. When that happens, my husband and I not only tip very well, but we asked our server if we can tell their manager what a great job they did. The server is usually ecstatic, and the manager surprised when they come over, because they're so used to hearing complaints. Sometime if it was a good job but not amazing, I'll write a thank you note on the receipt. Once a new server came over all teary and asked who had written the note because it made her day. That is awesome. I love rewarding awesome servers with positive customer feedback. I like to think that if we reward the good ones, it will help weed out the not so good ones.

PS I believe everyone should be required to work in the service industry at some point. I think we would see a drastic reduction in the number of jerks giving servers and customer service people a hard time.

ETA: For the record, I totally posted this by hitting reply to the OP without reading what was going on in the thread. Holy Hera! That's what I get for assuming an innocent looking thread would actually be innocent.

2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options
    I have no problem politely letting my server know when someone is wrong/missing. If I'm going to be paying money to have someone cook for me and serve it to me, I'd like it to be how I want it. My husband, on the other hand, is very non-confrontational (even though I've never met a server who got upset when you nicely asked them to correct the order) and would rather eat it like it is than say anything. To each his own I guess!

We ate out last night, and I thought about something I never had before. I planned to find an article or something explaining it, but I'll just ask it here in hopes of a condensed version or something. Why do we tip based on the price of our food? Two people can go to the same restaurant during the same hours two different days, and order something that can have a $10+ difference. To me, it seems as if it would take the same amount of energy and effort to bring out and serve the cheaper menu items as it would the more expensive items, so why tip based on your total? Just something I hadn't thought about before and was honestly curious about. :-?
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    I tipped the same because shorting someone on a tip doesn't make the server think they should change. All it does is make the server mad, and doesn't do anything to actually change the behavior, because there's no accountability.
    That's just not true, because if EVERYONE actual DOES tip based on service, then the servers would NOT BE ABLE TO PAY THEIR BILLS IDIOT! You are stupid if you truly believe they will learn.

HOW will they "LEARN" if you don't short the tip? I complain *AND* short the tip, BOTH, WORKS! I have gotten 3 servers fired. WHY? They deserved it, because one stole twice at our table refusing to give back $9 in change on my friend's bill saying she didn't have a change bank which is BS. She also gave back the wrong gift card which is on purpose since she did that, I truly believe she did that intentionally.  I know for 100% certainty she got fired since I know the managers there and I am a regular there. She should have gotten ARRESTED for stealing. Stealing is a crime. You can't go shoplift a $9 item at a store or can't pay with a gift card for a different restaurant, WHY can you do it to a customer?

The 2 others were rude(SASSY) to my face.  One said "It's the hostess's job" when I told her about what she did wrong which one of the first things I mentioned is that I had to ask for utensils twice. I would have THOUGHT she would have said "I'm sorry about that", but NO, she said "THAT'S THE HOSTESS'S JOB" what a real BITCH! SERIOUSLY, that's not the hostess's job once we have ordered our drinks, that's the *SERVER'S JOB* ONCE we have ordered our drinks. Are we supposed to get up to get our own? While I have on a few occasions, it's not my job though. That's my server's job whether they go ask the hostess or host to put some on our table or they go get them.

The other rude one was rude a bunch of times to us.  Once when I ordered 5 sides of ranch which was for more than just the side salad, but I ordered all of them at once to not be confusing and she had to put her 2 cents in when the ranch is FREE at Bennigan's at the time at least it was, probably still is, I don't know currently, but she said "You know it's not a big salad" wasting my time. I just told her to not waste a lot of time "I just like a lot of ranch", but that's not her place to tell me anything for things that are FREE.  It's not her place. Some of the ranches were for the entree.   The waitress had forgotten the soft drink I ordered which I also ordered a margarita. Well, when she came back I didn't say it as nice as I could have since I at the time, was having a lot of servers forgetting it and it probably was her not verifying her written order with what she was bringing out, not a real mistake.  I am RARELY ever like that, but it just got to me that she got my husband's soft drink, but mine was after the margarita even which it should have been BEFORE.  I said to her "Do you have the dr. pepper I ordered?" I don't think that's mean, it's just reminding the server of what I ordered, big deal.  Instead of apologizing, she decided to get change from the people that had already left, do everything else instead of getting it IGNORING my drink for around 16 minutes or so.  The food comes out, NONE of the condiments are with the item that I added, A LOT of the order was messed up, etc.   At that point we called a manager over, at the time she was fixing the mistakes with NO apologies of course, she IN FRONT of the manager says "YOU GAVE ME ATTITUDE". The manager the next day told me she was no longer there.  She gave US attitude from the get go telling me about what I was ordering.  WHO CARES if it's not a big salad, NOT YOUR DAMN PLACE TO PUT YOUR NOSE WHERE IT DOESN'T BELONG IF THE FOOD IS FREE which the ranches WERE FREE, didn't cost *US* anything. She did that out of LAZINESS, because why would she care? We had gone there many of times before and never had someone say that before. While I didn't handle that one the way I should have, at the same time, even if the customer gives you an attitude, as long as they are yelling or calling you mean names or something like that, you would want to save your tip by being NICE. Sassing will get your FIRED or for sure at least written up, but she did get fired! You can't be rude to a customer! She could have handled it nicer too like instead of being a bitch back since she was at OUR MERCY FOR OUR MONEY called a tip, she COULD have said "I'm sorry about that, let me go get it for you." No, that's not what happened though. I am tired of the servers that aren't rereading their written order and comparing it to what they are bringing out or even servers that aren't even writing orders down.

So YEAH, these people DID LEARN from it that they couldn't keep their jobs and they ALL 3 GOT STIFFED COMPLETELY. THEY FREAKING DESERVED IT! Especially the one that stole.  Servers money is not ANY MORE IMPORTANT than ours.  WHY you people feel sorry for them if they are jerks to you all?

"I handled it this way because my point wasn't to get the person in trouble, "

If they make trouble for us by ruining our outing, how the hell isn't it 100% FAIR to TREAT THEM THE 100% the *****EXACT SAME WAY*******, HUH? Thou shall not steal is a commandment.  It's also a CRIME! As far as the other 2 servers, they decided to be rude. They could have bit their tongue, but decided to be jerks.  The one that said "It's the hostess's job" was rude first. I NEVER ONCE said ANYTHING mean to her NOT ONCE.  That happened well before the Bennigan's situation, so I think that's why I had attitude, because I am SICK of the lazy and uncaring assholes.  Let's say she did verify the written order and just missed it. She didn't have to be like that. "Do you have the dr. pepper I ordered", but then look at how she was mean by telling me "You know it's not a big salad" when I am ordering them ONE THE SIDE therefore there's NEVER a reason to tell me this.  Just take my order.  If they cost a lot, still let me finish ordering to see if I want to use the ranches for other things, but she had to speak BEFORE I could FINISH ordering all my food jumping the gun per say.  She was rude.  To say "You gave me attitude" when I said "You could have said you were sorry" made her get fired. She caused her own firing.  I am 99.9% sure she didn't compare her written order *BEFORE* she left to go get the margarita.  I believe we had ordered our meals when we got greeted so that's why we didn't see her again after the margarita when I had told her "Do you have the dr. pepper I ordered?" I still don't see ANYTHING truly WRONG with that? Sure it's not as I said the nicest way to say it, but it's reminding the server I ordered that item.  It's not being mean. I mean what's wrong with taking it personally as a customer that your server seemed to not have tried their best and it hurt my feelings so THAT'S WHY I said it that way. It's not that I thought she really tried her best and just made a mistake. Also, as I said before, the ranch commenting is not her place.  Why would anyone try to change my mind about something that is FREE if they were TOO LAZY to get all of that? You may say the manager, but if that was the case, she would have told me she couldn't give me that much as one waitress did at Olive Garden.  I knew that wasn't the case since we never had problems prior to that at Bennigan's. Obviously, ever since then I just say "I ordered a side of ranch" for example if a side of ranch is missing.  So I say it a nicer way, but I still don't get a nice response like "SORRY about that" from 97% of servers.  I am not sure WHY when they want our money, our forgiveness in the tip they think it's not their fault when it 100% ALWAYS is no matter who brings out the food because you can bring it out ahead of time or they feel it's not important which it seems like most servers think that way.

So SORRY, you are 100% wrong! Reporting problems to the manager *AND* tipping less will get them to IMPROVE so they can *KEEP THEIR JOB* AND *PAY THEIR BILLS*!

Tipping based on a charity "Oh poor server" attitude like you have NO ONE would IMPROVE their service.

WHAT INCENTIVE would they have to IMPROVE if they know they will get 20% or more NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO? 

If I give you a $20 bill to sit and watch tv  for an hour or you can work for it by washing dishes for an hour, which one would you pick?

Maybe you like to wash dishes, but mostly everyone would pick do nothing to get the money.

You are SOOOOOO WRONG! Giving a lowered tip or no tipping as well as reporting it to a manager and/or doing the surveys if they have some improves the service. Also, if you bribe the server saying you'd give them extra if you do such-n-such, most likely they will do it.  Slip them an extra $5 bill or something, yeah, they probably will shape up and give you better service. Possibly do that DURING the service if you are in a large party with gratuity added so that way the server knows they will be getting 18%-20%  PLUS the $5 extra dollars, maybe just maybe they will do it or maybe you may see that they abuse it who knows, but most likely they will do it if they have SOME INCENTIVE to work HARDER for their money.

Stiffing does work when horrible service is given because they have to *PAY* to serve you to the bussers, hostess or host, and bartender a tip out of SALES a certain percentage and also if you report the problem, if the manager is caring, they WILL do something about it. Also, HOW the server will pay their bills if they are PAYING to serve you? They WILL IMPROVE if they don't get the tips because they are a piss poor, lazy, and uncaring server.

If you take away the incentive, you will get more response just like positive and negative reinforcement. It works in most cases. Rewarding the good behavior, punishing the bad behavior. 

As I said it may not work 100% of the time, but I would say a good 90% would improve based on that they need their job and can't pay their bills without good tips.

• Options
    Rogue237 said:
    I Servers who are strangers shouldn't be "affecting you on a personal basis" or "hurting your heart."
    Then why do servers let the customers that don't give good tips affect *THEIR* hearts, huh? WHY am I seeing BLOG AFTER BLOG OR FORUM OR YOUTUBE video about "TIP 20%", "Never stiff your server" "We only make $2.13/hr" " We may have a sick child at home up all night with him or her"

They sure act like it's a "PERSONAL" issue.  Why they have all of these things about that they hate when they greet a table with "Hi, how are you doing" and they answer "diet coke" rather than saying they are fine or whatever? That's PERSONAL.  They are REALLY BOTHERED BY THAT, WHY IS THAT IF THEY AREN'T TAKING IT SOOOOO PERSONALLY TO THEIR HEART?

The service isn't about them though.  If the customer wants to just order their drink, shouldn't they be able to get what *THEY* want for *THEIR MONEY*? Service is paid from the customer, not what the server wants in the service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_vfygPHnWY&list=PLA_AHvIiZg-85GuDv18SybP6ZF0Yw3iZW

No I will give you that this video is funny and rude, but answering the question with "pepsi" really is nothing wrong with it.  Get the service started so you can start making money.  See how these servers take it personally?

You just don't understand that *THEY* are taking it personally to their hearts too. That's just ONE video out of a zillion on youtube.

Servers always affect my feelings. If I don't get an apology for a mistake, for me, it hurts my feelings, because they want your money and I am being nice to them telling them "Thank you" when they fix the mistake and not being mean when I am telling them about the mistake(as I said except for that time at Bennigan's which wasn't really mean, just not as nice as I could have). 

That waitress at Bennigan's let it hurt her feelings by saying "YOU GAVE ME ATTITUDE", because if she had no feelings about it, she wouldn't have said such a thing. Think about it.....
  • Options
    Rogue237 said:
    Hahahhahahhahahhahahhahahha 5 ranches!!!!! What a shit show! Keep going, this is hilarious!

Why is that hilarious? What's wrong with liking a lot of a condiment?

• Options
    I have a typo "ONE THE SIDE", I meant "ON" the side, sorry.
  • Options
    OMG. I just opened this thread for the first time. This is nuts. THIS is what should be xp all over the bump. Fwiw, I always tip well. I don't think tipping shouldn't a thing, I think waiters should get laid a living wage and tipping should be abolished. If my service is bad I don't cut the tip, I complain.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @springs1 you sound like a real peach. If we ever meet irl remind me not to go out to eat with you.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    spano41 said:
    When it comes down to it, it's just food. As long as they are doing their best to make the situation right, I don't get too upset.
    As I said before, most aren't trying their best and if they do, I am not NEARLY as upset over it.

As far as "it's just food", NO, it's MONEY YOUR MONEY, paying for the food AND THE SERVICE, so NO, it's not EVER just food.

It's also *TIME* that you can't EVER get back also.  Let's say your server is chit chatting with a customer playing around like you can hear them and you asked for your check 10 minutes ago when let's say you are on your lunch break that you really have to get back to work or just in a hurry, would you really like it if they did that with your TIME(TIME IS MONEY for BOTH OF YOU)? It's MONEY that you are paying for this person to not disrespect your time like that.  Your paying to have someone *CARE* about your time if they want you to care about *THEIRS*.

All the time I see blogs or forums servers complaining about customers that stay over after they have finished just to chat for sometimes HOURS after not letting them get a chance to make more money on that table.  But if the servers do something like that, then they deserve that back. 

My point is, it's not just food. They want us to care about them, but most don't care about us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"