April 2014 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    eme520 said:

I hope Rick perry runs for president. It serves two purposes for me. He gets the hell out of our state and it guarantees a democrat will will. Win:win . It will also provide me with a lot of comic relief. I can just picture Perry in a debate against someone with even half a brain that will be entertaining.

I completely agree with this. I think I'll join the Raging Liberals for Perry campaign.

This is a good plan, we can make signs and everything.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    J&NLJ&NL member

J&NL said:

I would also like to know where people who say healthy is cheaper than not healthy shop. I spend $60 a week on produce alone. That would easily buy a lot of cheap ground meat product, hamburger helper, Mac and cheese, and romen.

$60 a week would feed us for a week, if not longer. I used to be a "healthy eater" but I quickly had to give that up once we went down to one income. Eating healthy is expensive.

We spend about 60-70$ a week on groceries and eat fairly healthy. I meal plan and cross reference my meal plan with what's on sale- if zucchini is on sale, we're eating zucchini at least a couple nights that week. We only buy meat (chicken, fish, pork etc- very rarely red meat) when it's on sale for at least half price and stock the freezer with it. We also only eat meat 4-5 times a week and get protein from cheaper sources, like chickpeas and lentils, the rest of the time. I buy dry staples like pasta, rice, couscous, flour, etc from a local bulk store for much cheaper than grocery store prices. I don't buy prepackaged baby/toddler foods for DS and make most of his snacks. It takes a lot of planning but it's doable. If I wasn't a SAHM and didn't have the time to devote to it though, we would either be spending a lot more money or eating a lot more convenience foods. 

And I hate mayo and mustard. 

We eat fairly healthy too but we can't afford everything to be organic or locally grown. I don't buy junk food (except popcorn because that's my weakness). Just a lot of chicken (tyson-- even though I think it's disgusting) and frozen vegetables because we can't afford to get the good stuff that I used to get.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    StasiStasi member
    edited August 2013
    douglamj said:
    MY UO: I WANT TO BE ABLE TO MARRY MY WIFE yes I'm gay and we are not legally married because asshats that think they are superior. We will have to pay thousands of dollars for my wife to adopt OUR child because god forbid something happens to me when we cross statelines she will have no rights to our child. What is my marriage going to do to any one else's marriage?!? Do people really think I chose this for myself. Years of name calling, being kicked out of my home, physical altercations... I dreamed of being a stay at home mom and having lots of children. I have to pay over a $1200 every time we try to get pregnant. Luckily we have those means some gay couples don't. Does that make them any less of a parent of the drug user or prostitute down the street that can't get pay for their child? Ok end rant :)
    I was really hoping you were seeing this and would speak up! Thanks! :)
    Me too :)

Having to have your wife adopt your child, that you have together?  Sad, scary, frustrating, sucks. If you think you'll be around here and up for sharing, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes for you both...hopefully smoothly.

Added: Of course, the more important question is - how do you feel about mayo v. mustard v. ketchup :)

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    UO: When i find out people are Christians I automatically don't trust them and refuse to be their friend for quite a while until i determine you are not a judgmental gay hating privileged dill hole. And even though, i probably will never be close friends with them.

Disclaimer: Was a devoted Christian and raised in a fundamentalist judgmental gay hating privileged dill hole church. 
    Me-Caciona (30) DH- Dave (41) 9/27/08
    Mommy to Nils David since 9/21/11
    Expecting Serafina Ann  around 4/23/2014

• Options
    UO: I don't like that they stick pacifiers in baby's mouths before they even leave the hospital. My niece posted a pic of her two day baby coming home with one of those huge round ones! Plus I feel giving a baby a pacifier sets a bad precedent - seeing a three year old with one disgusts me. With that said - I know there's a better chance of taking a pacifier away than there is taking a thumb away (or two fingers in my DDs case). I just hate binkys and really have little leg to stand on in an argument. Lol
  • Options
    amhah09 said:
    I have another UO. It's ridiculous when people get bent out of shape for having to answer questions in response to their UO. You can turn it around and say "you don't have to agree with me, it's a UO" all you want, but come on, you knew it was controversial when you posted it and you knew people would comment on it. If you truly think you can come in here and post in the UO thread some bigoted opinion and bounce on out unscathed then don't even bother opening the thread. We've all gotten flack for our UO at one time or another. It's expected.

Yes. This. Absolutely!
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Options
    nikki912 said:
    My UO: when at the first sign of morning sickness some women run off to get a prescription for zofran. I'm not talking about the women who have uncontrollable vomiting or nausea that's so bad it's debilitating. I've had a few friends who had nausea that wasn't so bad and was fixable with crackers who begged for zofran. It's been around since 1991- not sure how long of that it was prescribed to pregnant women but for me that's not enough time to be treated like Tylenol. Thalabomide was considered safe until it wasn't. I don't put this in the same class as that drug because it was a shit-show to begin with. But it's an example of what I mean. Once again if you're unable to function without it, I totally understand. But mild to moderate nausea- for me isn't worth taking anything. This comes from someone who doesn't even take Tylenol when I have a headache- pregnant or not. So that may help see where I'm coming from!!
    I just wrote a paper on this (kind of). I think you mean thalidomide, which was actually never approved for sale by the FDA citing the need for more clinical trials - but it's said clinical trials which is how pregnant women in the US obtained the drug. 

I do agree with you on the medication - so many medications aren't and cannot be tested on women I don't understand wanting to take more than necessary if you can really help it.  
    ~Chrissy 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hope Rick perry runs for president. It serves two purposes for me. He gets the hell out of our state and it guarantees a democrat will will. Win:win . It will also provide me with a lot of comic relief. I can just picture Perry in a debate against someone with even half a brain that will be entertaining.

Oh, please don't wish for such things. People WILL vote for him and he might win!!! W x1 million.
  • Options
    Serenla said:

@fireflygirl112 if it suddenly doesn't bother you then, then why does it bother you any other time? How do you know for a fact other flights were available for said parents with annoying baby when they booked? Doesn't add up even with the 'duh' in front of it.

It still bothers me, I just don't think it's selfish if there are no other options available. I obviously don't know who has other options, I just think its annoying.

Have you traveled w/ kids? More than once? 

Would you pay, say, $300 more a ticket to fly somewhere at 2pm instead of 7pm? Because I wouldn't. 

Oddly, crying babies don't bother me on red-eyes. Adults that whine, which occurs WAY too often on flights and in airports, piss me off more than anything.

Agreed, I expect that babies will whine and cry, it's ok they're babies. I do not expect that behavior from adults.

Edit autocorrect
    Adding I also find it amusing that op is about to be a mother talking about how much she dislikes babies on red eyes. I fully accept that many of my opinions will change with each new experience I have.

Be as amused as you would like, I actually already have an 11 month old, who has flown 4 times on daytime flights.
  • Options
    Cpelland0 said:

nikki912 said:

My UO: when at the first sign of morning sickness some women run off to get a prescription for zofran. I'm not talking about the women who have uncontrollable vomiting or nausea that's so bad it's debilitating.
    I've had a few friends who had nausea that wasn't so bad and was fixable with crackers who begged for zofran.

It's been around since 1991- not sure how long of that it was prescribed to pregnant women but for me that's not enough time to be treated like Tylenol.

Thalabomide was considered safe until it wasn't. I don't put this in the same class as that drug because it was a shit-show to begin with. But it's an example of what I mean.

Once again if you're unable to function without it, I totally understand. But mild to moderate nausea- for me isn't worth taking anything.

This comes from someone who doesn't even take Tylenol when I have a headache- pregnant or not. So that may help see where I'm coming from!!

I just wrote a paper on this (kind of). I think you mean thalidomide, which was actually never approved for sale by the FDA citing the need for more clinical trials - but it's said clinical trials which is how pregnant women in the US obtained the drug. 

I do agree with you on the medication - so many medications aren't and cannot be tested on women I don't understand wanting to take more than necessary if you can really help it.  

Yes that's the one. I should have looked it up before I wrote it!

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Options

Serenla said:

@fireflygirl112 if it suddenly doesn't bother you then, then why does it bother you any other time? How do you know for a fact other flights were available for said parents with annoying baby when they booked? Doesn't add up even with the 'duh' in front of it.

It still bothers me, I just don't think it's selfish if there are no other options available. I obviously don't know who has other options, I just think its annoying.

Have you traveled w/ kids? More than once? 

Would you pay, say, $300 more a ticket to fly somewhere at 2pm instead of 7pm? Because I wouldn't. 

Oddly, crying babies don't bother me on red-eyes. Adults that whine, which occurs WAY too often on flights and in airports, piss me off more than anything.
    Agreed, I expect that babies will whine and cry, it's ok they're babies. I do not expect that behavior from adults.

Edit autocorrect
    Adding I also find it amusing that op is about to be a mother talking about how much she dislikes babies on red eyes. I fully accept that many of my opinions will change with each new experience I have.

Be as amused as you would like, I actually already have an 11 month old, who has flown 4 times on daytime flights.

Still amused.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
     All AL welcome.

• Options
    I'm team mayo/ketchup mixed together.
    Crap! Now I want this.  I haven't been able to eat in about 2 days and now all I want is this
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thomas930 said:

Crap! Now I want this.  I haven't been able to eat in about 2 days and now all I want is this

Please just don't eat it with a spoon!

All AL welcome.

• Options
    UO: I don't like that they stick pacifiers in baby's mouths before they even leave the hospital. My niece posted a pic of her two day baby coming home with one of those huge round ones! Plus I feel giving a baby a pacifier sets a bad precedent - seeing a three year old with one disgusts me. With that said - I know there's a better chance of taking a pacifier away than there is taking a thumb away (or two fingers in my DDs case). I just hate binkys and really have little leg to stand on in an argument. Lol
    I wasn't sure how I felt about this, but then at my 2 week appointment our pedi said, "Baby's need comfort and they are going to get it from 1 of 3 places - your breasts, a pacifier, or if you choose to use your pinky finger or finger for them to suck on, then that. It's your choice on which on it's going to be.

I chose paci. Kate also had jaundice in the hospital and they put her in an incubator with the billy lights on to help her recover...she was in our room, but I couldn't hold her or comfort her in anyway (beside sticking my hands through the "portholes" in the side of the incubator. I told them to give her a paci ASAP because she was creaming and crying by herself in there.

Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    Serenla said:
    Please just don't eat it with a spoon!
    No never! Only with fries :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Just because someone still believes what they were taught as a child, doesn't mean they haven't formed their own "adult" opinions on it.

It does when they can't defend it past the bible says so.
    Well I mean why wouldn't you believe what's in a book?? Books are obviously super factual!

I have a book called everybody poops from when I was a kid, I still dig it to this day!
    September Siggy Challenge: What I Sing in the Shower: Little Mermaid "Part Of That World"image

• Options
    Stasi - that all makes sense. :-) especially the NICU part - I'd have made the same decision. And for me, DD was fine without one, so I never bothered. But it may be the exact opposite with this LO. In that case - hell yes I'll use the binky! Lol
  • Options

Oh, please don't wish for such things. People WILL vote for him and he might win!!! W x1 million.

I read after Obama's last win that the Republican Party has basically already lost this generation. And since we're the ones taking over the voting polls, unless the RP reforms its bigoted social agenda they don't really stand a chance at winning an election for a while. They're mostly only appealing to the baby boomers and far right Christians right now.

I'm too busy to spend a whole lot of time searching for that article, but yeah I think I agree with it.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    Demo - OMG your poor nips! Once again - yep, I'd choose the binky, too. Lol I'm all for modern technology... And goodness knows its better than putting a toddler to bed with a bottle - I learned that the hard (expensive dental visits) way. I won't make that mistake this time!
  • Options

"Voter fraud" is not a thing. Laws requiring voters to present photo ID in order to participate in the democratic process are simply to keep the poors and the minorities from voting.

Smells an awful lot like Jim Crow voting laws.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options

"Voter fraud" is not a thing. Laws requiring voters to present photo ID in order to participate in the democratic process are simply to keep the poors and the minorities from voting.

I don't disagree. Although my great grandmother used to take drunks from the bar and put them in line to vote (she even held their hand to "help" them vote) over and over. She would then buy them a beer after they voted three times or so.

She lived in a very backwoods southern small town so I guess that why she got away with it. IDs would have been useful then!!

• Options
    I'll probably get flamed for this.......
    but I work at a childrens hospital and there are parents who are all "My baby does NOT use a pacifier. Don't give them a pacifier". Then they leave for several hours to "run an errand". You better believe when you get back, there will be a pacifier in your babies mouth!

• Options
    I have mixed opinions of pacifier use. My DS took one from day one. By 12 months it was only used for naps and bed. By 17 months it was gone entirely, but at the cost of somewhat forcing him to CIO for a few nights which goes against every being in my body. I decided I won't do it again. If it brings comfort to my kids then I will let them have it. Paci dipped in sugar water to shut the kid up? No. Pack in a 2 year olds mouth just for the hell of it? No.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    amhah09amhah09 member
    edited August 2013
    nikki912 said:

I don't disagree. Although my great grandmother used to take drunks from the bar and put them in line to vote (she even held their hand to "help" them vote) over and over. She would then buy them a beer after they voted three times or so.

She lived in a very backwoods southern small town so I guess that why she got away with it. IDs would have been useful then!!

But that doesn't happen now...

ETA: you already have to register to vote. If you are registered to vote and they mark your name off when you check in then there's no way you can have people vote more than once. If anything, it's possible for someone to go vote FOR you, but the statistics on that happening or so infinitely small if even existent that it's unnecessary.

Mandating IDs to vote means you register to vote and bring an ID with you to probe you're voting for yourself only. Not everyone has a picture ID.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    Both my kids had pacifiers far too long and I'm OK with that. They were kept at home or in the car if it was a long trip. My sanity for a little piece of plastic and rubber? You bet! I'd take a 2 yr old with a pacifier that still naps over a crabby one without one any day!

Me too. I plan to take one to the hospital with me this time too. I love pacifiers.
  • Options
    Both my kids had pacifiers far too long and I'm OK with that. They were kept at home or in the car if it was a long trip. My sanity for a little piece of plastic and rubber? You bet! I'd take a 2 yr old with a pacifier that still naps over a crabby one without one any day!

I've yet to be a parent and I'm trying to keep an open mind. I have no says on paci's. oddly, this goes back to a flight thing. This poor baby screamed the whole time. After 3 hours, a flight attendant suggested, rightfully or wrongfully, a pacifier. The parents responded. No, we're not allowing it anymore and we decided today she doesn't need one. I kinda wanted her to have one. I don't think it makes sense to make big habit changes before going on a big trip where they are surrounded by unknowns.
  • Options

I've yet to be a parent and I'm trying to keep an open mind. I have no says on paci's. oddly, this goes back to a flight thing. This poor baby screamed the whole time. After 3 hours, a flight attendant suggested, rightfully or wrongfully, a pacifier. The parents responded. No, we're not allowing it anymore and we decided today she doesn't need one. I kinda wanted her to have one. I don't think it makes sense to make big habit changes before going on a big trip where they are surrounded by unknowns.

It doesn't. You're never supposed to make changes like that to your children's routine during stressful periods.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    amhah09 said:

nikki912 said:

But that doesn't happen now...

ETA: you already have to register to vote. If you are registered to vote and they mark your name off when you check in then there's no way you can have people vote more than once. If anything, it's possible for someone to go vote FOR you, but the statistics on that happening or so infinitely small if even existent that it's unnecessary.

Mandating IDs to vote means you register to vote and bring an ID with you to probe you're voting for yourself only. Not everyone has a picture ID.
    I wasn't disagreeing with her. I was giving an anecdotal story about ONE of the reasons they may have instituted that law.

Mostly I just think the story is funny and wanted to share...

• Options
    @kbuckleyharp for me it isn't about that, it's truly just at school I can't talk about my beliefs without beig called an idiot. We had a moment of silence in elementary school everyday for whatever you wanted to do during it. I'm not talking about nativities...I kind of think they are silly and pretty unreal! I just mean there have been Christians who have offended people and so we all have a bad name! So don't assume I'm one of those Christians! Thank you very much:) Now I will say I say merry Christmas but I don't think all of the music and decorations should come out as early as it does!
    Married DH 1/5/13
    BFP #1 4/29/13 Chemical Pregnancy 5/6/13
    BFP #2 7/30/13 EDD 4/12/14
    MMC@9w (found out at 10w) 9/15/13
    D&C 9/16/13
    Started trying again 2/17/14
    BFP #3 4/19/14 Chemical Pregnancy 4/21/14
    BFP #4 8/18/14 EDD 4/25/15
    Began Lovenox 8/18/14
    Heterotopic Pregnancy- Interuterine MMC@6w 8/28/14 
    Found Ectopic 9/16/14 Lost Right Tube
    BFP#5 11/8/14 EDD 7/21/15 Ovulated from Right Ovary!

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I agree. However, I do live in Chicago where some shady business goes down on Voting Day. You what they say, "Vote Early AND Often"

Little Sprout Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"