June 2015 Moms
Options

FFAQ - Flame Free Anytime Questions

Because questions always come to my mind every day except Fridays
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: FFAQ - Flame Free Anytime Questions

• Options
    Like - if you can transition to solids around 6m, why is there a formula specifically for kids over 12m?
    And, they always say if you suspect an allergic reaction, give benadryl, but I've never seen children's benadryl with all the baby meds? (I admit to not looking in the regular benadryl section) Its not like I can get my 3m old to take a tablet, you know?
  • Options
    I don't know what to get my LO for Christmas the one idea I had my mother had already putchased. Ideas?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    47923ang47923ang member
    edited October 2015
    mellymar said:

Like - if you can transition to solids around 6m, why is there a formula specifically for kids over 12m?

$$$$$$$

ETA https://www.parents.com/advice/babies/feeding/should-my-baby-drink-whole-milk-or-formula/

• Options
    @klirwin82 Yes! Aren't you already doing that?! Welcome!

I bought Infants Tylenol, but then when I went to use it yesterday, there was no dosage for children under 2. It said to ask your doctor before using. I gave LO a half dose. Is that correct? (I should Google it, but using my limited screen time here. Sorry.) Why would it be labeled Infants, but then only be indicated for 2+?!

I only just yesterday realized the perfectly obvious problem that my kid hates his PnP mattress. And he's too cold. What other stupid mistakes am I maybe making at night? He's fed, wearing cotton footed jammies, fleece sleep sack, Sleep Sheep plays Twinkle Twinkle for 45 minutes at a time, ceiling fan is on... What other rookie mistakes am I making?
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 The doses for infants are based on their weight, which is why it says to ask your pediatrician. Every time we go in she calculates his current dosage and that's what we would use until the next time we see her (although we haven't had to use it yet). You might want to call and ask the dosage for your LO's most recent weight.

My question: Will my boobs ever stop leaking at night? I was doing okay but now I've soaked through nursing pads and clothes twice this week.
  • Options

I only just yesterday realized the perfectly obvious problem that my kid hates his PnP mattress. And he's too cold. What other stupid mistakes am I maybe making at night? He's fed, wearing cotton footed jammies, fleece sleep sack, Sleep Sheep plays Twinkle Twinkle for 45 minutes at a time, ceiling fan is on... What other rookie mistakes am I making?

I was reading about babies and sleep and found a short blurb about something I had overlooked previously.

Apparently babies are supposed to benefit (sleep better) when in a darker room... So they recommended not even really having a nightlight. If you scale the brightness from 1-5 (1 being lights on and 5 being pitch black) it should be at least a 4. Could this help?

• Options
    @klirwin82 that makes sense, I'll have to look there next time. Its just that I'm almost never in the adult medication section anymore. And both my Target and my Walmart have a baby section with meds and remedies in it like baby Tylenol, teething tablets, baby cough meds, gas drops, etc, so I figured they would have baby benadryl there too.

@423ang makes sense. Thank you

@virginiaunicorn11 my ped gave me at his 2m appt a small 3 ring binder that we add a page to each visit that shows his weight / height / %, the shots he got, a place for notes, and somewhere in there is a dosing chart. Standby and I will take a photo and upload it once LO is done eating
  • Options
    And @klirwin82 post away without the lurk reminder. I think by now we're all familiar with seeing your handle 'round these parts
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 I wouldn't play the sleep sheep. I would find something that stays on, only because 45 minutes is around the time where they are transitioning sleep cycles and it going off could wake him.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    This is the dosing one my doctor gives us at every appointment. There's one for Tylenol and one for ibuprofen.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @swaugh14 totally agreed! I feel like I get logged out every 2 minutes, then it's a 5 min process to log back in. Just assume if you posted a picture of your I liked it because I'll probably be logged out by the time I get there.
  • Options
    Yeah our sheet from the doc is the same as @DolphinLover2002. So we give LO 1.25. @mellymar yours seems much higher, not sure why?
  • Options
    ^^ I'm glad someone else posted one because I wanted to compare. That's interesting. I'll have to ask when I go at the end of the month. I haven't needed it yet, thankfully
  • Options
    mellymar said:

^^ I'm glad someone else posted one because I wanted to compare. That's interesting. I'll have to ask when I go at the end of the month. I haven't needed it yet, thankfully

Actually, they're roughly the same. Dosage amounts are the same, but mine has a higher weight limit. Example, my 1.25ml of Tylenol high end weight is #13, on that one its #11, so you're dosing up to 2.5ml at 12#, while I am waiting until #14 to go up on dosage. The ibuprofen is the same. At least the mg per ml match, wouldn't that have been annoying?
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 good call on the Sleep Sheep, thank you! I was trying to avoid white noise but think I'm going to have to find something that lasts all night for that, you're right. @christinabrtn I did just darken the room two nights ago after reading the same thing - thank you.

And thank you ladies @mellymar and @DolphinLover2002 for posting those charts. That solidifies that I am changing pediatrician. I didn't really like her, and also she didn't say anything other than "give him Tylenol." Fortunately the half dose was the proper dose.
  • Options
    I just gave LO 2.5 ML.... She is 12 lbs 13 oz. That's what the doctor said to give. Now I'm second guessing myself! She was screaming and I was scrambling. It's the Tylenol with the big yellow syringe.
  • Options
    Sjeff0816 said:

I just gave LO 2.5 ML.... She is 12 lbs 13 oz. That's what the doctor said to give. Now I'm second guessing myself! She was screaming and I was scrambling. It's the Tylenol with the big yellow syringe.

Why second guess? It's what the doctor said AND what these charts say. I think you're good, no?
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess so. I hate medications! Especially for a tiny baby. They give me anxiety.
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 I'm not sure what the Sleep Sheep is, but we have the Baby Einstein Sound Soother and we love it. It plays for 30 minutes before the light shits off and all movement stops, then it plays a few more songs while slowly getting quieter. It's not an abrupt change so it doesn't disturb her sleep. It will also play white noise instead of music and you can also have the fish stationary and without a light. There's so many options. This was the only way I could get CC to sleep in her crib. Now we only use it when she's super cranky and refuses to nap.
  • Options

Sjeff0816 said:

Why second guess? It's what the doctor said AND what these charts say. I think you're good, no?
    This.
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 I also used to use a white noise app that I set for 20 minutes, and it would also cycle down in volume the last 2-3 minutes.
  • Options

@mjschenk What about personalized books? I've seen so many of them lately and they use your child's name! My family wants a list so I added Disney movies and the foam mats with letters and numbers.
    I don't want her watching a lot of movies and such, but I do want to start her collection. I still have my vhs Disney collection!

Why can't I find a diaper that l/I does t either blow out EVERY.F'ING.TIME I go to Target or the grocery store, as well as pees through them in the middle of the night?! I've literally tried every brand as well as changing her right before we go to the store. Her diapers feel like they weigh 6lbs when I change her overnight. Oy vey

Are you pulling the ruffle part out around her legs? That generally helps seal it in there. If the ruffle part is tucked in I find it can seep out.
  • Options
    @lovethatcolosun Yup, definitely pulling the ruffle out. I think the vibrations of the shopping cart really loosens her up and it just explodes. Lol It always blows out the same side too.
  • Options
    I got the allergic reaction already! LO broke out in a nasty rash at daycare 2 weeks ago. After speeding to the doctor, she recommended warm bath, good lotion, & a dose of Benadryl. She said to buy the adult liquid & told me the dose that day, but I forgot (what else is new?!).
  • Options
    @alcrimmins @cait7425 I was just reading on amazon reviews today, Huggies was responding to the negative reviews there about blowouts. They said if you frequently have blowouts, its usually a sizing issue. So even if the diaper 'fits', it may not fit appropriately to contain the mess.
  • Options
    mjschenk said:

I don't know what to get my LO for Christmas the one idea I had my mother had already putchased. Ideas?

This:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Bright-Beats-Smart-Touch/dp/B00VJKT0QU
  • Options

mjschenk said:

This:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Bright-Beats-Smart-Touch/dp/B00VJKT0QU
    My mom just got my LO that for Xmas. It looks neat.
  • Options
    @mellymar Thanks! I'll look into it. She had a massive diaper with very little blowout yesterday and I made sure to adjust the leg holes (?) to fit really snug. Maybe the issue is me! Ha!
  • Options
    @alcrimmins I've had maybe 2 or 3 blowouts with honest diapers and it's just a little that goes up the back never down legs. Are your diapers too small? Honest diaper sizes run small. If you get the bundles they will always take back any unopened pack of diapers and send you a size up.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any good mobile recommendations? Ours has Winnie the Pooh characters and my LO loves to look up at them, but it only plays for 2-3 minutes, and I can't always keep winding it back up. I'm looking for one that plays for a little bit longer.

Side note...I was going to get one of those sound machines someone else mentioned, but DD doesn't like things at the side of her crib, she loves to look straight up.
  • Options
    Wow fancy that might be it! Although the personalized book might be sweet also has anyone got one before?
  • Options
    @alcrimmins I don't know about you, but I feel like DD is in between sizes. The ones barely cover her butt crack and the twos don't close tightly around her legs. So far the Luvs have only had a little seepage out of the leg. Poo goes right up her back with the earths best. Tomorrow is pampers.
  • Options
    KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited October 2015
    @valeriemarie24 I got this one. It runs on batteries so it plays music (or a simple tune with nature sounds) for half an hour. The tummies on the critters can light up, too. They slowly come on and off as the critters travel around. You don't have to use the lights tho if you think it will be too distracting. When I am working in LOs room and I put him in his crib to get used to it, he watches the lights and critters.

Edit, proper link
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008K02VGI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1444927684&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=tiny+love+my+nature+pals+mobile&dpPl=1&dpID=41LmPD4HS2L&ref=plSrch
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a noise maker that responds to the baby making noise? I've heard they are super helpful when they start stirring at night to help calm them back down.