Options

NT/NIPT/FTS Discussion

A thread for everyone to discuss testing options, results, ask questions etc

NIPT (noninvasive prenatal testing)
NT (nuchal translucency test)
FTS (first trimester screening)

Re: NT/NIPT/FTS Discussion

• Options
    For those of you who have had the NIPT done recently, what was the turnaround time for results?
  • Options
    @EmilyE13
    Mine was through the company Natera. I activated a patient portal through Natera’s website and the results were on there on day 7 exactly from the blood draw. My doctors office called 3 days later to give me the results i already knew 🙂👍🏻

with my 2nd pregnancy it was through the company Sequenom (MaterniT21) and I got results in 5 days. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bows22bows22 member
    edited March 2022
    @EmilyE13 definitely not recent but in 2017 I did mine through Quest on a Thursday and had the results on Monday, so I have to imagine it’s the same or faster now. Just wanted to mention in case anyone is using quest and was curious
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 My labs were for MaterniT21 and my Dr called with results 8 or so days after my blood draw. Still don't have any results in the portal, though. 
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! In both 2017 and 2019, I vaguely recall getting the call about a week after the tests. One was MaterniT21 but I don’t remember the other. I wasn’t sure if timing was still similar. 
  • Options
    I also used Natera and it’s been almost 2 weeks. I know results are in bc doctors called but they’re not posted online yet. 
  • Options
    @krysnicole1022 thank you for that heads up on Natera. I have an at home draw being scheduled for NIPT soon, I'll have to be diligent like you on monitoring the bills!
  • Options
    @stephers_ they sent me a paper bill as well. I forgot about that (this was five years ago).
  • Options
    I had mine done thru quest. The draw was on Friday the 11th I got notification from Quest on Sunday the 20th.  
  • Options
    Awesome, I checked the paperwork for my draw today and sure enough it’s Natera. Will be watching like a hawk for any attempted money grabs. 
  • Options
    This was five years ago so maybe there was some sort of miscommunication but it just seemed sketchy to me. Although my insurance did say it was paid in full so...
  • Options
    Just got a text from Natera with “payment options.” Given the cost difference, they’re clearly angling for me to do self pay instead of billing through insurance. I would just be paying from my deductible. Is there any reason to go through vs not go through insurance? You ladies pointed out the Natera cash grab attempts so I’m extra suspicious. 

• Options
    bows22bows22 member
    edited March 2022
    @EmilyE13 well, you are probably going to hit your deductible this year anyway, so I think paying $822 now will just be $822 less you pay later? So as long as it’s going to count toward your deductible (versus just being denied by insurance) then it’s probably better to go through insurance 
  • Options
    @bows22 yeah that was my assumption, too. Given I’m AMA I don’t think there should be any question of it being covered by insurance. 
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 I would call your insurance and ask them if it's covered or not and make sure that payment will actually go towards your deductible. 
  • Options
    @krthouse I've had anterior placenta with my previous three and now baby 4. It never really made much of a difference. (They've actually all implanted in the same spot which is just bizarre.) I think they said it could impact how soon you'll feel movement. 
  • Options
    Also I'm glad that everything looks good..
  • Options
    @krthouse glad everything looked good! My first was an anterior placenta and second was posterior. I felt a ton more with posterior but certainly still felt movement with my first. It was just softer, more blunted rather than the violent acrobatics my second subjected me to. 
  • Options
    We’re now a week and a day out from the NIPT draw. Still no word. I’m getting anxious. 
  • Options
    Okay…I cannot find the convo with the mama who received a 64% risk of trisomy21. I have been so curious how follow up testing has gone…can’t find her 
  • Options
    @mckenzc her convo was in the "NIPT questions" thread. Her name is @ctcollins9109
    I haven't seen any updates though 😕
  • Options
    @bluebird1109 @mckenzc looks like she hasn’t been on since the 19th. 

@ctcollins9109 just want you to know we’re thinking of you!
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 Mine took a bit over a week to come in, so I feel your anxiety! Fingers crossed that you get your results before the end of this week. 
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 that's what happened to us. We had two girls and when we found out boy I was like...no. no way. Holy crap. Mind blown. We just always assumed we would have all girls. 
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 @krysnicole1022 same! My older child is a girl, and I have three sisters, my parents only have sisters…no can believe the boy result!

Tbh, my brain still doesn’t totally believe it, even though NIPT is like 99% accurate. I probably won’t be totally convinced until the anatomy scan.
  • Options
    Okay now y’all have me SO damn curious to check my gender result 😆😆😆 I have 2 girls and this third feels entirely like another girl but don’t know!!! I will resist… but my gut says girl. And all the silly old wives tales agree— girl! Except Chinese calendar but I love it bc it says all three of my kids should be boys and I have 2 girls so far. So I’m also taking that as a sign that it’s a girl 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 
  • Options
    Hi all,
    My recent NT scan/bloodwork came back relatively safe for genetic abnormalities, given my “advanced age” (🙄), but my midwife reported that I have low PAPP-A. 

Apparently, this can indicate problems with the function/size of the placenta, which could affect third trimester growth.
    Has anyone else received this result, and if so, did your healthcare provider provide any additional information?

My midwife said not to worry, that they’ll do additional scans in the third trimester but, of course, I am worried anyway. (Shouldn’t have googled it…part one million)
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    My natera results took about a week and a half! They were posted, we opened immediately, and my doctor never called me about them (they have a “we don’t call unless something is abnormal” policy).

Haven’t seen anything about the billing. Has anyone done natera recently that has billed already? Will the bill come through them or your OB office?
  • Options
    @audball1985 one of my best friends had pretty severe growth restriction with her second son due to placental problems and some other stuff, and she was scanned every week in her 3rd trimester with MFM and they ended up delivering early and the kiddo spent some time in NICU. He’s absolutely thriving now, though! I’ll have to ask her if it had to do with low PAPP-A, but just make sure your team has a plan. You may end up getting referred to MFM if there is restricted growth. 
  • Options
    My Natera results took 5 days. I didn't find out the sex though. I got them back this morning and everything was low risk! 
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 I'm wondering if this is happening with my friend. Her first two kids were born two weeks late at nearly 8 lbs. She's pregnant with her third and he's in the 12th percentile for growth and they spotted problems with her placenta on her ultrasound. She didn't do any screenings at all. They told her to  back in a month and if he was under 10th percentile then they would worry. I feel like they should be scanning her a minimum of every other week since she's AMA and he has been behind the whole time. 
  • Options
    @krysnicole1022 yikes. How far along is she?
  • Options
    Hold on, @audball1985 are you an audiologist?! 🤗🦻
  • Options
    @audaball my oldest was an IUGR baby. Unfortunately, we didn’t know until he was born, as I didn’t have any other scans after my anatomy scan at 18 weeks, and my fundal height always measured in a normal range. I was induced at 38 weeks for gestational hypertension (which likely led to the IUGR, and set in at around 36 weeks). He was 4lbs 17” at birth, and my OB wishes she had induced me earlier. He spent 8 days in the NICU for blood sugar issues, but was an otherwise healthy baby. No jaundice, perfect lungs, etc.  

I’ve had growth scans with every subsequent pregnancy. You’ll be in good hands having those regular scans so that your provider can determine if anything needs to be done early. 

I should also add, that other than still being on the smaller side (pickiest eater ever) my son is a very healthy 5.5yo. 

Sending positive vibes that all is well!
  • Options
    @EmilyE13 she's 30 weeks now or just about.