October 2022 Moms

NT/NIPT/FTS Discussion

Re: NT/NIPT/FTS Discussion

• stephers_stephers_ member
    edited April 2022
    AH I just realized natera won't release the NIPT results on the portal until my OB authorizes it. My OB is currently out on leave for a knee replacement. I left a message at the OB's office hoping there's a nurse practitioner there that can release the results, but I'm so anxious that I won't get the results for another 3 or 4 weeks!! It'll all be fine but oh man I thought I was so close to finding out the sex haahhaaha, what a potential bummer

EDIT: panicked for no reason, lol. Got the call today with results!!! Low risk on all panels, and we got the gender <3<3
  • Loading the player...
  • Those that did their NIPT through Natera, did your status in the portal update when the results were with your provider? Or did it still say your results were “in progress” even after they had sent the results to your provider? 
    I had my blood draw 3/29, and the kit was received at their lab on 3/31. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. 
  • @KGETS86 I had mine done the same day as you. The kit was received on the same day as well. We didn't find out the sex and got our results through the doctor yesterday morning. They were auto released via my chart as soon as they were sent to my doctor. She added notes a little later. My test on Natera still says it's in progress even though my doctor gave me the results.
  • @krysnicole1022 thanks! Might be worth giving my doctor a call! 
  • @magic_lentil I am in no way, shape, or form an expert but I believe that the NT scan/measurement is the most important, but the NIPT bloodwork is more reliable than the bloodwork that accompanies the NT scan. Going to link a thread where this was discussed in more detail. I hope the genetics counselor can set your mind at ease. 

• @bows22 thank you so much!  While I’ll definitely still talk to the genetic counselor asap, the info from this other thread helps a lot!
  • @magic_lentil I agree with @bows22. My OB doesn’t even do the NT scan/measurement if doing the NIPT. She told me the NIPT was far more reliable, so if I had that blood work done we wouldn’t do a scan/blood work again at 12 weeks. There’s a higher rate of false positives for NT than false negatives for NIPT something like 5% vs .09%. 
    Hopefully you can talk to a genetic counselor soon and get some positive news. 

And congrats on the boy! 💚
  • Thank you so much for this! It’s good to know a story that turned out so well, even with some growth restriction issues 💕 
  • @KGETS86
    this is so good to read—thanks for sharing this positive story! I’m so glad everything worked out well 💕 
  • katee268katee268 member
    edited April 2022
    So I'm 33 and has gestational hypertension with last pregnancy as well as a late premie at 36 wks.  Was seen by high risk for this pregnancy and getting extra testing because "I'm a lady with medical problems" as i also have hypothyroidism.  I had DIPT which was genetically fine and expecting our first baby girl! Just had NT and measurements are fine, low risk for downs which already knew cause genetics were fine on other testing.  My ob called however and said my free hcg on finger stick was half of expected.  Can be associated with miscarriages up to 24wks and low birth wt.  I'm already set to have a ton of ultrasounds for cervical monitoring and growth.  My ob said it's nothing to worry about as there is nothing they can do.  Said miscarriage risk for me at 14wks is now 6% average would be 2-3%.  Obviously trying not to worry but can't help but be upset at this point as I enter my 2nd trimester with this information.  Anyone else have this test result?  
  • In this test do you get to find out the gender? Do I have to specifically ask for it? Or will they have it and tell me. What has everyone experienced? 
  • @stephers_ did they automatically tell you they had the gender? Or did you have to ask for it?
  • It's with the NIPT and they should ask if you want to know before you get your blood drawn so it either does or does not go on the report.
  • Will the blood work with the NT scan show sex? 
  • It is easier to respond to you if you update your username! It defaults to the knottie + numbers

My OB called me and said the results were all clear, then asked if I wanted to know the sex and I told her yes. On the natera website, in your portal, you can view the report with or without fetal sex. It also lets you send fetal sex results to another email if you want someone else to know but not you
  • I just got my NIPT results this morning and we are having another BOY! 😭😭💙💙 we were hopeful for a girl to have one of each but we are so excited about this little man. I guess I’m still a boy mom lol
  • No the bloodwork with the NT doesn't show sex.
  • Update on Natera billing: I also got the option to pay directly or go through insurance. They said it would be $375 if I paid out of pocket, but $1,200 copay if I went through insurance! I remember seeing in this thread suggesting just to do insurance if it's covered at all, because you're paying into the deductible anyway.

So that's what I did - and I got my copay bill this week! A whopping $20, so glad I didn't pay out of pocket. I'll keep an eye out for any more sneaky bills 
  • @stephers_7 oooooohhh they were being sneaky! I went through insurance, too. Haven’t seen a bill yet but looking forward to checking to see if it’s similar to yours. 
  • They are so sneaky! That's exactly what happened to me and I called my insurance company to ask what was up. They were like "we paid that in full. Don't give them money." I've already verified this time around that it is covered 100% and that it was already paid for. My results just came through a week ago so I'm waiting for them to try that scam on me again. 
  • Does anyone know or have they asked their OB the chances of having high risk markers with NIPT bloodwork if the NT US scan came back normal?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my NIPT drawn last Monday and no results yet so I’ll just be over here in a downward spiral. 
  • @bows22 you'll get the results soon!!! I called my OB after a week because I was so impatient 😂
  • My second genetic screening blood test results were SUPER QUICK to come back. I had my blood drawn Friday and was told 8-10 days, but they must have had a slow week. I got them today.
    1:5000 chance for everything but my age which is 1:340. I am really happy!
  • So happy! I signed up on the lab’s site and for results today. Doc hasn’t called yet, but NIPT showed negative for everything. I was getting really anxious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The spiral continues….now the test has completely disappeared from my portal and isn’t even showing as “in process” anymore….ugh. I was going to call tomorrow but I might do it today now. 
  • @bows22 uuuuggghhh yes I would definitely call today for peace of mind so you don’t keep worrying. Mine never showed up in my portal before they called me. 
  • @EmilyE13 I just sent a message to my OB. I hate to do that just for impatience but oh well
  • They had to call quest to get them to send them over. Quest told them the NIPT was still pending but it just appeared in my OB’s portal. We had decided that DH would check the results so that he can tell me & DD the sex, but I care more about the rest of the results! And of course he has a really important meeting and I’m sure isn’t checking his phone. Ugh. I do feel less anxious now that at least we have them and I’ll know soon but I think this meeting is 2 hours long 😬
  • Update: it’s labeled as QNatal which is Quest’s NIPT, but the results are just the CF screen. So back to anxiety I guess 
  • @bows22 oh my god what a nightmare! As if waiting for the results isn't stressful enough! I'm so sorry that you're just getting breadcrumbs!
  • @bows22 YAAAAAAYYY! And a boy! 💙💙
  • Wow thanks for all the heads up about Natera. They told us to expect results in 3-5 days...so I guess I won't hold onto that timeline. We called Natera repeatedly to discuss payment estimate so I have my radar up now in case they try to double-bill. I am so eager to find out the gender!
  • hi- so i got my NIPT results back and i have a question- it is showing the gestational age at 14.3- i am assuming that is 14 and 3 days , correct? I got drawn right at 14 weeks and baby has been measuring big - is it that i have a big baby or is our dating slightly off? I am trying to figure out if my baby is measuring accurately or is measuring big, lol!
  • I had no idea the NIPT measured GA. I just assumed they could only tell measurement during an ultrasound. 
    Ultrasounds are notoriously off by a couple of days especially when they still measure crown to rump only. A few days in either direction doesn't really mean anything. Now as you get further along if your baby if measuring longer and longer than you will likely have a big baby. I had a friend that was told she would have a 10 lb baby at 40 weeks. She gave birth at 42 and he was barely 8 lbs. They aren't always accurate. Mine have been exactly right down to the ounce.