January 2022 Moms
Options

GD Test

Re: GD Test

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Whoop, @kcf19!! Congrats!
  • Options
    Did the 1hr test for the second time yesterday. Passed with flying colors this time! I am so relieved. The metformin I’ve been taking has a marked impact on my blood glucose levels. 
  • Options
    Doing the 3 hour test today.  2 draws down and 2 to go.  
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 Good luck!! 
  • Options
    Ugh.  I failed.  Doctor hasn’t called yet (it’s 7:30AM in Cali) but results were posted late last night.  I know it’s not that big a deal and will just require close monitoring and a change in diet.  I’m just really blaming myself.  I stopped swimming like I used to and allowed myself more junk food (hello Taco Bell) than ever before.  I guess this isn’t surprising.  
  • Options
    Oh, @karenmarie9, I wish you wouldn’t blame yourself. Lots of times you can do everything that’s in your power the right way and still fail these tests. You can still enjoy occasional TB right?! I love Taco Bell too. 😁

• Options
    @karenmarie9 I'm sorry. Please don't blame yourself. There are so many different factors that could lead to an increased risk of GD, so it wasn't necessarily the Taco Bell. :) I also stopped working out and have felt really guilty about it, but you're right - the changes you need to make are relatively minor in nature, and it's all temporary. Allow yourself some grace.  <3
  • Options
    fifilala516fifilala516 member
    edited October 2021
    @karenmarie9 Ugh, I'm sorry, but it's totally not your fault. I know of plenty of people who ate super healthy and exercised, and still failed - because that's just how their bodies reacted! It's all physiological and temporary, so please do not think you did anything wrong.
  • Options
    @katepattsea @Lisa3379 @fifilala516 -
    thank you all so much!!!!
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 I echo everyone else.  It's not your fault!  
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 ugh I’m sorry, but +1 to what all the others are saying. I also love me some Taco Bell but my go-to was the Mexican pizza - so sad they discontinued it 😭
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 I'm sorry that you didn't "pass."  I echo what others said about not blaming yourself.  I know plenty of people who are way unhealthy who did not have gestational diabetes, and others who are super active, and very healthy who did have gestational diabetes.  It ultimately isn't anything you did or didn't do - just one of those things; and it can often be genetic.  Don't be too hard on yourself! 
    DS: 3-6-15 💙
    Baby Girl Due: 1-1-22
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ugh add me to the list of failed 1 hr (got a 147). I’m not surprised, I’ve been getting really tired after eating sugar, but I also feel like it’s not THAT high of a number, although I don’t know what their threshold is. So we’ll see how the 3 hr goes. Main worry is I’m already high risk for multiple reasons, I just really don’t want to add more. Plus will power when it comes to sugar is NOT my strong suit!

My office doesn’t give the drink in advance, just hands it to you when you get there. It wasn’t horrible, but definitely would have been better cold. Not sure if the 3 hr gives you cold-I noticed they have a little fridge next to their stack of bottles.

@karenmarie9 echo the others that it’s not your fault! I passed the 1 hr easily with my first and I’m exercising much more this time around. I have a friend who’s really into cross fit and was regularly running 3+ miles, doing crazy workouts and a super healthy eater and she had GD, so it’s just something some people get. 
  • Options
    Ugh.  Met with the nurse at the diabetes clinic today.  Basically I just need to check my blood sugar 4x a day.  Not looking forward to the finger prick.  Anyone else have to do this?  Diet seems pretty common sense.  But the idea of needing to prick my finger 4x a day is somewhat overwhelming.  Any advice?
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 did they say anything about a glucose continuous monitor, if your insurance covers it? I think that alleviates all the finger pricking.
  • Options
    @fifilala516 - that wasn’t mentioned at all.  Actually it was weird bc I can only get the needles and strips for the device they gave me at Safeway bc they have a partnership with them.  So guess I’m going to Safeway now.  But maybe I’ll ask if it’s a huge bother.  
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 I had GD in my first pregnancy (I do my screen tmrw am) and had to test my BG 4x daily at first. After a while (I can't remember how long), I was able to just test 2x per day. My fingers didn't hurt or anything from the pricks, though I did try to alternate which fingers I used. .eventually, you'll have a favourite or 'lucky' finger that you think gives you better readings lol. It's ridiculous, of course,  but still. 
  • Options
    I have my 1 hour test tomorrow! Be thinking and praying for me. My midwife has you eat a breakfast of just protein and veggies(egg omelet with veggies in it) and then drink 12 oz of Welch’s 100% grape juice and draws blood after an hour. My first two I had to drink the awful drink and kinda excited to just get grape juice. If I don’t pass I risk out of her care, and would have to go to a OB, so praying for a pass 🙏🏼. 
  • Options
    I passed my screen! So pumped to not have to deal with GD this go round
  • Options
    Yeah! Congrats, @AshleyGemini24 and @sarah_is_pregnant on passing the screen!!
    @travistori, good luck today and let us know how it goes. I love the approach your midwife takes. It sounds like a much more realistic take on measuring how your body handles what you normally feed it. 
  • Options
    I did the 1 hr screen week before last and was "borderline" at 135 so I do the 3 hr tomorrow :(
  • Options
    I really hope everyone keeps passing!!! I’m slightly jealous - Halloween was so hard with GD and not being able to eat candy.   I’m doing ok with the finger pricks and diet and after meal blood sugar is fine but my fasting blood sugar is still too high.  It’s tough!  I actually “fired” the GD nurse I was working with- she treated me like a child and definitely shamed me.  I’m seeing a new nurse on Thursday.  Luckily my OB is super awesome and isn’t too concerned, bc she says it’s still early and we can monitor for another week or so before deciding on insulin.  
  • Options
    Hey ladies 💕 I passed as well! But it made me feel so odd I was really worried that day.. then I was out of range LOW! At a 64. So strange. I was assured it was fine, but I can't help but thinking it's not normal.
  • Options
    Thankfully I passed with a 108.
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 I’m so sorry you went through that with your nurse but glad you advocated for yourself and your OB is on board!
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 I’m sorry! 😢 I can only imagine how tough that would be. Praying for stabilized blood sugars for you and that this new nurse isn’t a jerk. 💕

Congrats to all the others who did pass, I know it’s a relief. ❤️
  • Options
    elksammelksamm member
    edited November 2021
    Failed the 1 hr ugh, was hoping to avoid the 3 hr this time. Oh well. Hopefully I pass the 3 hr 🤞🏻ETA: I wasn’t even close to passing, probably should have been more careful about what I ate before the test but it was at 4 PM
  • Options
    I passed my 3 hr this week (to be fair I technically passed the 1 hr but my doc said it was "borderline" at 135 and wanted the long test. Not a single abnormal on my 3hr.
  • Options
    @karenmarie9 I am in the same boat with GD. I may have splurged and had a couple pieces of candy 🙂 My after meal numbers are good but I just can't get my fasting numbers down so I now have to start the pill Metformin. I'm hoping that helps and I don't have to take insulin. But whatever I need to do I guess. I like the nurse that monitors my numbers but my doctor just wants to keep harping on if I am a diabetic outside of pregnancy. I sure hope not! Good luck and hang in there. This pregnancy thing is not easy! 
  • Options
    I know I’ve been MIA but life has been crazy. I failed my 3 hour after having to take it twice! They lost the first test! I had GD last time so I’m not surprised, but the finger pricks 4 times a day are not fun and either is the diet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have any of your doctors provided a continuous glucose monitor as an option? I don't think you need to prick your finger for that. They are get much more popular.
  • Options
    Welp, failed my 3 hr. Missed 2 out of 4, one I only missed by 1 pt but got the message that they are diagnosing me with GD. While I’m not very excited about this, it’s probably not the worst thing to limit sugars and eat healthier. 
  • Options
    @elksamm - ugh I’m so sorry to hear that!  It’s definitely frustrating and not fun managing GD!  I’m doing nightly insulin now and checking my blood sugar 4x a day.  But I’ve gotten sorta used to it now and know we are in the homestretch.  You’ve got this!  Let me know if you need any tips or want to vent.  I’m actually not sure I’ve got any good tips lol.  But I have discovered BBQ and Queso are great for my blood sugar so that is one food I’ve been able to enjoy!