August 2021 Moms

Questions thread

Re: Questions thread

• litzi-2litzi-2 member
    @fitmomma1989 we get frozen meals from veestro (we eat vegan). super nice to have around when its busy and a good deal when they have 30% off (plus up to 10% back with a cash back site). We also buy people a gift box from Daily Harvest when they're having a hard time and we get good feedback from that.

@ematurn23 my pain is more back, SI, sciatica and i get terrible pain from vulvar varicosities as well. my last pregnancy was awful, could barely walk. i'm getting a lot of help with daily exercise (weird but it helps consistently), going to the chiro, and wearing the SRC support shorts/ leggings (I did bands/ support belts last time but like the shorts better). I still will do stupid things that set of really bad days of pain (like painting the stairs or putting in a rev-a-shelf in the bottom cabinet) because they "need to be done." Not the smartest.
  • @ematurn23, I see a chiropractor who does prenatal adjustments.  I had pelvic pain like that with DD and so far haven’t experienced that this time around.  

I also do a lot of pelvic floor exercises but this is my background so it may not feel as comfortable for you as it does to me.  They way I’ve been taught to engage is to imagine the muscles of your pelvis as a handkerchief that is attached to the front and back of your pelvis, then from side to side. Then imagine that it is being pinched in the middle and pulled up toward the top of your head.  Try to find 3 floors that it can be lifted through.  Even better if you can lift through those floors while you exhale and pull your abs in, then relax your abs/pelvic floor muscles while you inhale. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @grogu glad I'm not the only one! Now getting out of bed is aggravating it ☹️ 
  • kam174kam174 member
    Anyone having chest pains? Like not heart burn, but like chest pressure? I was up all night, hurt to breathe in deep ... was painful to roll over. Not sure if it’s normal 24 week, baby pushing on things or if I should be more concerned. I debated calling the dr today but it’s Sunday and they’re closed, and this didn’t feel like an “emergency.” I’ll call tomorrow if I’m still feeling like this, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this? 
  • @kam174 I’m not a doctor but persistent chest pains are always an emergency in my book. I would definitely call, and if they get worse or don’t go away, go to the ER. That isn’t something you want to fool around with. 
  • @kam174, my heartburn did feel like more chest pressure with DD- like I wondered if I was having a heart attack.  (Burping seemed to help but not fully relieve anything. I had never experienced heartburn before so it was new.) However, if you take some tums or something to relieve and it doesn’t work, or you didn’t do more than your normal activity that may have affected your chest muscles, I’d definitely echo @surrenderdorothy to say get it checked out.  Actually, even with those if you are worried, still get it checked out.  It’s better to be safe than sorry.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Freezer meals are a great idea. Feeling inspired to clean out my freezer so I actually have room for said freezer meals. My go to freezer meal is America's Test Kitchen spinach manicotti. They published a "Make Ahead" cookbook that I've used many times in my post mom life. I highly recommend it to any foodie moms to be. 
  • kam174 said:
    Anyone having chest pains? Like not heart burn, but like chest pressure? I was up all night, hurt to breathe in deep ... was painful to roll over. Not sure if it’s normal 24 week, baby pushing on things or if I should be more concerned. I debated calling the dr today but it’s Sunday and they’re closed, and this didn’t feel like an “emergency.” I’ll call tomorrow if I’m still feeling like this, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this? 
    That sounds an awful lot like when I had blood clots in my lungs. I’d definitely be calling your OB and be prepared to be told to come in for testing. 
  • So just in the last week I've had a very specific pain pop up and I'm hoping you all can help me identify what it is, I've read the descriptions of round ligament pain, sciatica, pelvic girdle pain etc. and I'm really not sure which one this fits best. The best way I'd describe it is sharp pain in my butt cheek (lol) near my tailbone when walking, almost like a tweaked muscle or something out-of-socket. What do y'all think is the culprit?
  • @the_most_happy I’d guess sciatic nerve pain. I hope it goes away soon. 
  • @the_most_happy I second sciatic.  I have the same pain.  Stretching, rest and a heating pad help. 
  • @the_most_happy I’d guess sciatic nerve pain. I hope it goes away soon. 
    Quoting to also add that I’ve seen rolling on a tennis ball helps
  • I’m sorry they couldn’t find why you are having chest pains @kam174. It could also be that you pinched the lining of your lungs and it’s just irritated- I don’t think that would show up on any imaging. 

I’m sorry if I scared you with blood clot talk- it’s just that I had multiple PEs in both lungs and it felt like what you described and they can be deadly so I am always overly cautious. 
  • @kam174, I'm sorry you have no answers but glad that it was not a clot. I've had heart palpitations and chest pain for years, and after many, many, tests my team of doctors concluded that these were symptoms of my anxiety. Some days I agree with them, some days I don't. 
  • @kam174 I’m sorry you had to go through that scary ordeal and are still having chest pains. I am glad you went to get it checked out to rule out PE or some other serious condition. 

One thing I’ll mention from my pregnancy Jodi eh with my first son- I had horrific biliary issues beginning in pregnancy that resulted in my gallbladder being removed post-partum. Gallbladder pain is really common in pregnancy and can present as chest pains for some people. The first time I had a bad attack I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Maybe something to discuss with your doc if they rule out cardiac issues? Anyway I hope it resolves soon. 
  • @the_most_happy, it could be sciatic pain but usually that also comes with a burning sensation that goes down the leg.  (Not sure if this is why you’re not sure.) It sounds like the sacroiliac pain that could be from relaxin working on your joints to me.  It was part of what stopped me working out when I was pregnant with DD, and up until this past 6 months when I finally got myself evened out  was the location of pain I’d have a day or two before I saw my chiropractor.  (Until I evened out my hip muscles, my chiropractor described it to me that my hips were sort of twisted, so the painful side was tilted farther forward than the non-painful side.) I hope that or another treatment helps!

Fortunately- most of the things that help sciatic pain help sacroiliac pain too.  I usually have to flex my butt cheek on that side harder when my foot on that side is planted to help with pain while walking, and play with the length of my steps.  Sometimes bigger steps help, but most of the time smaller steps plus the flexing helps more.   

@kam174, I’m sorry you had to go through that stress. Hopefully you will get some answers soon. Thank you for updating.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @loloyoyo26 yes, the reason why I wasn't sure it's sciatic is no radiating/burning... it's literally just a sharp pain in my butt, haha. I'm trying stretches but it's still pretty bad so I'm thinking of looking into chiro... is is Webster-certified that I want to look for, in terms of prenatal chiropractors? 
  • So just in the last week I've had a very specific pain pop up and I'm hoping you all can help me identify what it is, I've read the descriptions of round ligament pain, sciatica, pelvic girdle pain etc. and I'm really not sure which one this fits best. The best way I'd describe it is sharp pain in my butt cheek (lol) near my tailbone when walking, almost like a tweaked muscle or something out-of-socket. What do y'all think is the culprit?
    I think I have the same thing! The pain is right above my butt cheek, it hurts to stand up from sitting/laying and sometimes when I stretch a certain way it feels like it’s about to “pop”, kinda like when you crack your back. But then it doesn’t. My mother in law is a PT and she told me what it is and I cannot for the life of me remember. SI something. She said using a roller should help, I haven’t gone to the store to get one yet but I def will be soon because some days are definitely worse than others! 
  • @kam174 Chest pains are so terrifying. I am sorry you are going through that!

I had bad chest pains my last pregnancy and it ended up being that my esophagus what charley horsing due to acid reflux. At the time it did not feel like heart burn, just like something was squeezing my chest. 
  • @the_most_happy, Yes I think that’s it or just ask if they work with pregnant patients. I wish I could tell you I searched around for mine to know, but I had been seeing my current chiro for a few years now and she just happened to also be able to treat pregnant patients so I was more than happy to stay.  Another avenue to find one would be to see if your OB/Gyn office has recommendations. 

A good PT friend of mine did show me a little release trick.  Sit down, place a fist between your knees and squeeze.  That pop is life. When my joint is really out of whack though, I can get it to pop laying in bed on my side without my fist in place.
    @ashsowers2020, tagging you too in case it can help.

Pregnancy Ticker

• kam174kam174 member
    Thanks for all of the responses! Pregnancy is a wild ride 😆 I wasn’t super concerned, it’s uncomfortable but not the worst pain I’ve ever felt (yet lol), but my doctor was very concerned and guilted me into the ER visit. I am having heartburn daily, but this pain is different (feels more like pressure / sore muscle, and is specifically on the left side of my chest). I’ll definitely bring up some of your suggestions at my next appointment! 💕 
  • moeraemoerae member
    edited May 2021
    Hi ladies! Bit of a trivial question over here, but I just had a preview of what summer might be like (see Randoms 5/10 for a good laugh 🙈), but that got me thinking... Any tips/advice on how to survive the heat/summer while pregnant? What do you wear anyway? The dresses are great, but the chub rub is real... is it worth investing in maternity shorts or something? Thank you! 
  • @moerae I personally would say it's worth it. Maybe check fb marketplace for second hand?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • ClobertClobert member
    edited May 2021
    I have a few questions:

Can anyone recommend a good swimsuit for larger cup sizes? I think I’m like a 36G right now.  We’re going to the beach soon and I’m huge and definitely can’t wear any of my old swimsuits.  I’m be there with my 2 year old and 6 year old and will probably be like chasing them around digging in the sand and carrying the toddler, so I want it to be pretty good coverage and very supportive, like a one piece and maybe even like swim shorts and a tankini?  I’ll probably keep coverups on as much as possible too, I might need some cute ones of those.  I’ve seen kindred bravely but I can’t tell if they’re supportive for my cup size. 

Can anyone recommend good hypno birthing audio that’s free or not expensive? I think I listened to some on Spotify last time but I can’t remember and I don’t have the subscription anymore anyway and don’t want ads popping in. I think it helped me a lot in my second birth even though I didn’t do a full class or anything. Also, any other free or affordable resources about hypnobirthing to read or watch? Are any of the apps good? 

• @Clobert not much help here, but I'm also on the swimsuit hunt and struck out with Kindered Bravely. I got a suit in two different sizes and it neither fit. Also, it made my boobs look awful so I would save yourself the trouble, especially if you are looking for more support.
  • I have the most gigantic bust in the world, currently an L cup and this one seems like it fits. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VWF4HZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I wouldn't like, jog in it, but I don't think I will be showing too much either. I got the XL and the L but the L doesn't fit my bust really. It's not perfect but it should work. I'm normally an L in clothes not pregnant but my bust has grown quite a bit this pregnancy, more than the last time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • kam174kam174 member
    I’m 25 weeks ... and yesterday I felt baby move like maybe twice, and today, I think only once this afternoon. Is little to no movement 2 days in a row normal at this stage? I have an appointment with my obgyn on Thursday, but I feel like my mind is jumping to conclusions in the meantime 😭 
  • claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited May 2021
    @kam174 I had a similar freakout - lay on your left side and drink cold water or orange juice and you should be able to feel baby move within an hour. If not and you're still concerned, definitely go get checked out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • @kam174 Sometimes I've found that this little one has quiet days too. But, I know that it can be nerve wracking. Drinking ice water or eating something sweet, hello ice cream, always works for me. My doc did not recommend doing a kick count until 28 weeks but if you're still concerned, definitely contact your Dr. 
  • edited May 2021
    @clobert - I downloaded the Expectful app which has a hypnobirthing course. Its $10 a month. It also has lots of meditations for pregnancy and labor/delivery. I like it a lot. They have a yearly subscription price too but it was cheaper for me to pay monthly and just delete it after the baby is here.
  • kam174kam174 member
    Thanks ladies. It finally moved at 11pm last night 😑 and has been nonstop moving today. Guess it just needed a break lol I’ll still ask my dr at tomorrow’s appointment when I should / shouldn’t worry for future reference. 
  • ClobertClobert member
    @dancingnarwhal thanks! I just signed up for a trial with Expectful.  It looks good!
  • Hi everyone! Can I get your thoughts on play yards? I'm torn between one and getting a stand alone bassinet. They look clunky and ugly as all hell but has anyone had good/bad experiences? 
  • @doodlemom131 do you mean like a pack n play? One of those will last you way longer than a bassinet. We used to bring it when we went visiting, both as a sage contained place for a baby/infant/toddler to play in someone’s non-childproofed house, but also as a place for sleeping, whether it be naps or overnight. My oldest slept in it occasionally until he was at least 2. 
    This might not be as much a factor now with Covid going on, but even just at home, having a safe, contained space for an infant  to play when you need to leave the room (even to go to the bathroom) is a real peace of mind. 
  • @doodlemom131 I agree with @CapricaAndrea. If you are talking about a pack n play, that's my vote. With DS I got one that had a shallow top for when he was an infant that was removed when he could either roll or hit the weight limit. Granted I did this as it was great for traveling, and ds is over 2 and still uses it as good bed. Our last rental wasn't big enough for a crib, and when baby moves out of our room, they are moving into DS room which won't fit his twin bed that he'll move into and a crib.

Side note: I thought I'd love it as a place for him to play for peace of mind when I leave the room, but DS wouldn't play in it ever.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @CapricaAndrea @Kenneylynn3 yeah thats that's I'm talking about! They have it listed as a play yard on the Babies R Us website. Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if older babies/toddlers were safe to sleep in it as they get older. We have a wedding to travel to in September, so I think we're going to do it! 
  • @doodlemom131 Agree PacknPlay is essentially for traveling after the first couple months when they would outgrow a bassinet. and Just the PacknPlay is cheap, like $50. We will definitely buy one when we have a trip planned, but I'm also buying a bassinet so I have somewhere to lay baby down for naps downstairs and also if I want to bring her to my sisters house to hang out or whatever. It folds up and is light unlike the pack n play, so I feel like it will get a lot of use the first few months and it was only $90. I almost was going to rent the Snoo, but then decided this was going to be fine and I felt a little creeped out at a machine making my baby sleep, not to mention the price.
  • Related Q: How do I clean a packnplay? We used the same one for DS and DD, so it's been around for 4.5 years and I don't know if I've ever cleaned it. Gross.