November 2019 Moms
Options

The Baby Names Thread

124»

Re: The Baby Names Thread

• Options
    tarahjm said:
    @emeraldcity1214. That is very pretty but trying to keep it as close as we can to our mom's middle names Kay and Lynn. 
    I’m sorry, my phone autocorrected the name. I meant to spell out the first spelling you gave in your original comment, not give an entirely new name. 🤦🏻‍♀️ My phone hates half the things I try to spell out and changes them to completely different words. I prefer the spelling kailynn. 
  • Options
    @gumby22c Oh cute! I like it!  I sent my husband a new list of names ... fingers crossed we can find one soon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Now that we know it's a boy I'm revisiting boy names we liked a few months ago. We're between Grover and Henrick. Middle name Gordon, after my dad and his favourite uncle.
  • Options
    gumby22cgumby22c member
    edited July 2019
    @mc0303 we havent shared on social media and dont plan to before she is born, but have told family and close friends who have asked. It feels weird to share so soon, because we didnt decide on DSs name until he was born. 

I'll never understand people thinking they get an opinion on naming someone elses child or should know what the names will be. If I want to to tell you I will, and if I dont too bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don’t share because I don’t like the opinions people feel they can freely give. My mom criticized my daughter’s name and irritated me. So I quit sharing after that and I have had 3 babies since then. I just tell people we can’t decide on one and leave it at that. If they offer suggestion, I pretend to be interested but try to end the conversation quickly. 
  • Options
     @mc0303 - we definitely don't share. When asked about it we say we don't share because we don't want opinions and it usually gets a laugh. I have only had a few people pry post learning that and oddly enough they weren't even family or a close friend.  

I will say, I had an experience where I was talking to a fellow pregnant preschool mom and I think she was offended that I didn't ask what her baby's name was going to be. Can't win.
  • Options
    BNBTBNBT member
    @mc0303 we didn’t share with our first because of all the opinions we’d get when we’d say what names we were thinking of. I even said Evelyn will be part of her name because it was my husband’s grandma’s name and got told ugh that’s a terrible name. That was the last straw for me. I thought for sure if I had said we were definitely using it they would at least pretend to like it. We aren’t sharing this time either, and we are already getting so much flack from everyone. But we honestly haven’t decided yet this time around. 

I do want to thank whoever shared the baby name tinder app! That has been so fun to play with and I was surprised by some of the matches my husband and I had!
  • Options
    rae605rae605 member
    We don't share either! For one, I don't care for the opinions and it's also nice to have a surprise for people when we have already found out the sex. With our twins we didn't tell a soul our names, except I did tell my sister our short list. (She is a good secret keeper.) This time around the same!
  • Options
    Yeah we are team no share. I dont even share my short list. People are full of opinions and I dont wanna hear it. Especially from people who didnt tell me their ideas. Like, how come you get to name your kid whatever you want but want to have an opinion on my kids name?
  • Options
    So I shared our 'almost' name with my brother and girlfriend today since they were asking about the name (not intrusively just curious) so I shared what was up until 2-3 weeks ago the name.   AND BOTH OF THEIR REACTIONS hahahahahaha They bashed it right away and I was like...and btw this is why we don't share the name until birth and they both laughed at how judge-y they had been because I don't think people even realize they are giving an unwanted opinion until it is pointed out.
  • Options
    @rogro118 I'm so sorry I missed this message until now!  My husband's name is not Jay, but that would be too funny!  Our last name starts with J.  Sending you all the love and baby naming vibes!
  • Options
    I do usually share the name, but my mom is very open what she likes and doesn't like. We've also now started considering Ruby again, and I'm not entirely sure how my mom will react to it. If we end up being very sold on it (would be Ruby Maeve) I will probably just tell my mom that it will be hurtful if she reacts negatively and so to hold herself together.
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    @creamcheeseplease Ruby is such a cute name! 

• Options
    So I'm just curious... we are still baby name hunting and I came across a post with so much bashing (not this site/app) it was from back in 2015-2016.  It was over the name Orion or Aurion for a girl.  Just curious if it's still so taboo for this to be a girls name. 
  • Options
    @tarahjm - I like the spelling Aurion for a girl.  The A makes it feel more feminine.
  • Options
    @tarahjm
    I LOVE unique names (which is why my husband and I are having trouble deciding on names) and I think Aurion is really neat! If it helps, though, I am not sure "Oh-ry-uhn" (like "Orion") is the pronunciation I would assume if I knew it was a girl...I might think it was pronounced "Or-ee-uhn" or "Or-ee-ahn". I think it's beautiful, and I would predict people would nickname her Aura, which is equally awesome!
  • Options
    DH and I have continually bounced around names. We were sold in the beginning on Skylar for our little girl. However, after getting a bit of negative feedback from his family, and a ton of negativity from my family, we decided to try something else. I think we’re gonna end up naming her Tia Paige. But Tia is Spanish for aunt so I’m nervous to get the same negative feedback from my family, there is already a ton of negativity there. Thoughts on the name Tia? 
  • Options
    @emmac99 skylar and tia are both beautiful names! Don’t let the negativity dissuade you! It’s YOUR baby!!!! If they’re too opinionated, I just wouldn’t tell them the name until the baby is born. I’m doing that because my mom had some shitty comments about our favorite name. Now everyone is up in arms about not knowing the name. You can never please people so just do what you and YH want!
  • Options
    @emmac99 I'd go with whatever name you guys love, both Skylar and Tia are beautiful! Your situation is why we never tell anyone the name of our children until they are born. I've found that most of my work friends are too polite and well mannered to give any negative feedback lol. So I sometimes will tell them towards the end because it's so hard to keep it a secret!
  • Options
    We found out we're having a little boy (2nd boy now) and we officially picked the name Jonathan.  It can be said in both English and French, which we wanted, and his siblings can't WAIT to see him!  We had too many negative comments (mostly family members) about Jaime, and I just couldn't anymore.  So SO and I were back to the drawing board and both liked the name John (yes, we're fans of Game of Thrones) so we were going to go with John but then I was thinking in the long run, we live in a bilingual community (French and English) and since we were use to our daughter having a nick name (her name is Lillian but we call her Lily) I though it would be a good idea to name him Jonathan and his nickname would be John or even J.J (his full name will be Jonathan Jacques Fung).  Either way, the kids love it and everyone loves it! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @christalfung, DH and I were talking about Jon as a nickname for Jonathan last night. DH's first name is John and a surprising number of people assume it's short for Jonathan. It would never have occured to me!
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Options
    As of now we r set of Freya for a girl. If our wonderful bundle of joy happens to come out a boy not forsure right now either Emmet or Ron would be our top two.
  • Options
    I have two sons, I named them Samuel and Dean. Not so much because of the characters in the show, I just like those names. Besides, my husband supported the idea, and my kids love the names.