November 2019 Moms

The Baby Names Thread

Re: The Baby Names Thread

• If it’s a girl we have two names that we like.

My husbands favorite name is Amaya (uh-my-uh). He thought of it out of no where because he was thinking of the word Amore meaning love and wanted it to have the same sound (I don’t think it sounds the same at all except for the uh sound and being 3 syllable). I think it’s cute and do like it but I’m stuck between that one and my favorite.

Both our sons names end in N and I really wanted to find a name that did the same for a girl or a boy. So for a girl I found a name I love. Maelynne. This name has a ton of meaning for me. Mae because we started dating in May, we got engaged in May and we got married in May. Lynne because that’s my moms middle name and I want to incorporate a part of her name for the baby *if it’s a girl*. 

If its it’s a boy we are screwed. I barely found a name I liked for my second son and he wasn't named until the day we left the hospital. I’ve shot down soooo many boys names that I’ve found and my husband hasn’t even thought of boys names. 
                                                                         Image result for i breastfed my baby 1 year

• @gumby22c I really like Zion!  Makes me think of the park, such a magical place.  And @creamcheeseplease I really like Hazel too.  Very pretty.

We're likely going to name our boy Jack.  It's a family name; my great-uncle Jack was a test pilot in WWII and died while on a test flight and my husband's family has always had a Jack (or Jackie or some variation) in every generation.  We would be continuing the tradition in our generation.

Still haven't thought of a middle name yet ...

• Loading the player...
  • @mimigarden I think that's part of why I loved it so much! I love Zion NP 😍
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SO and I both decided on Jaime for a boy but we're still torn for girl names.  Adele, Celeste, Cecelia have been going around in our minds...  We'll look more once we find out the gender.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @christalfung I really like Celeste!  And Jaime is nice too.

• We're thinking Alice for a girl and Edison for a boy. 
    Possibly Edison Alexander. Any ideas for a middle name for Alice?
  • @rlh19 I am obsessed with old lady names. Fern is a great name!!
  • I asked MH last night about the name Hazel and he thought I was nuts, haha. He then suggested Blue, and Green.
  • @creamcheeseplease 😂 at your husband!

I've thought about Ella... hubby's grandmother was named Mary Ella and mine Eloise. I also like Clara and Lydia so far. 
  • You all have cute ideas. My sons name is Grayson Asher. Haven't picked anything yet for the new baby.
  • @MrsAmandaTollison our boy name is Asher Grey :) 
  • We’re jumping on the “Asher” train :)

We found out last week that we’re having a boy and decided on Declan Asher.
  • perfectoopsperfectoops member
    edited May 2019
    We already have an Eliza and a Liam. I am hoping we have another girl because I would love to name her Josie. I’m still considering if we should name her Josette and call her Josie or just name her Josie. I want to use my mom’s middle name for a girl as well- Josie Faith

I’m completely at a loss if it turns out we’re having a boy as I haven’t been too successful finding a name I like yet.
    We have an Eliza Josephine 🙂
  • bmmimsbmmims member
    No boy names decided yet but I am pretty sure we will wait to find out until the baby is born anyhow. 
    If a girl, we had decided a while ago to name after my grandmother who passed, Ramona Mae
  • @creamcheeseplease 😂😂 at you husbands suggestions You all have such good ideas for names! I’m waiting til we find out the gender because I’ve given no thought to boys names at all and don’t want to waste my time if it’s a girl lol
  • blg116blg116 member
    We've pretty much settled on Bryce for a boy or Kaylee for a girl. Dont know on middle names yet- he likes Lee to go with Bryce, but all I can think of is country singer Lee Brice, and as much as I like him I dont want people thinking I named my kid after him lol. I'm thinking Levi maybe.

For a girl I like either Marie or Ann for a middle name- Marie is my SILs middle name though, so probably not. Ann is my MILs middle name, and she would be absolutely over the moon if we went that route. 
  • If we have a girl we’re naming her Scarlett (not sure of a middle name yet, my 7 year old named her after Scarlett Overkill from The Minions Movie and we happened to love it🤣) 

having such a hard time with boy names though. My stepson’s name is Nikolas Akilles and we have a son Killian Gabriel Roosevelt (yes 2 middle names, couldn’t agree lol) and a girl, Leia Vittoria. I’ve gone through lists of 1,000+ boy names and liked nothing 🤦🏻‍♀️ 
  • @brianaanairb I have gone through a ton of lists too and can't find boy names that I like. The ones I do like get shot down by DH. 🙄
  • The one boy name I do like is getting negative feedback from family and making my DH second guess.  Wish I wouldn't have told anyone.  I still LOVE the name, and know I'll win the war if battled. ha!
  • I love Lucy for a girl and Ryan for a boy.

We have a Leanna and Lucas so we were wanting to keep the L name going. I really like Lucy but my family keeps shooting it down because its "older". We find out what were having next week so well figure it out soon 😊
  • @autumnlea89 stop talking to your family about your name choices. They aren't naming this baby, you and your husband are. Announce the name at birth and no one will have a negative thing to say about it! I had to quit telling my mom possible names because she was way too negatively opinionated. Best decision I ever made. 
  • I agree with @emeraldcity1214. I’m not telling our baby’s name until birth. We were tossing around some names at a family function a few weeks ago and some of my favorites were poo pooed. 
  • @runningfortwo81 I love Lily! Unfortunately my H and I have a cat named lily so it’s out for us, haha. 

And yes, definitely don’t share names with family unless you are prepared for negative reactions. It doesn’t bother me and I guess if we ever agree on a name I’ll share before she’s born. I was more bothered by the commentary after the baby was born (why we supplemented, why I had a CS, what I was doing wrong about sleep... lol)
  • @creamcheeseplease I'm very outspoken IRL (does that come across here 😂) so if anyone tried to criticize my parenting choices they would get an ear full about why it isn't their place to be saying those things. My husband and I are really big on setting boundaries about our parenting choices and life decisions. Allowing extended family to have a say in how we run our lives is not something we want to happen. There is a reason you cleave from your parents to your spouse. Allowing people to have a say does nothing but cause turmoil and stress within your marriage. I'm not saying it isn't going to cause turmoil between you and your mom but that is secondary to your marriage. 

I have very overbearing parents who thought/think they should have a say in how we raise our oldest because they helped me with him when he was little. I was only 18 though so I needed their help. Now that I'm in my 30's they need to back off. I have helped them learn that by setting healthy boundaries. 
  • I am all for the not telling anyone names until the birth.  You might still get comments but nothing like the ones people feel free to give you before the baby is born. 

Also, my FIL once was giving me god knows what 'parenting advice' once my first was born (mind you my MIL did the child rearing) and my proudest moment was snapping and saying that "he had a lot of opinion for someone who didn't push the baby out". Oh, fond memories.

So name-wise I was so excited for Christopher for my little boy, husband seemed on board and now 2 weeks later he is not sure and doesn't think it is perfect anymore.  So hard to find names that don't get a strong memory to come up.  We liked Conor and Thomas but had friends both recently name their kids that within the last year.
  • I 100% agree with no name sharing before birth.  The only people we told with my son were our two best friends, and they would never give an unwanted opinion, we knew their names too.  We’ll do the same this time around without a doubt.  I don’t care much about hearing others’ opinions regarding names, but it would annoy me hearing the recommendations or reasons against it.  I’m a former teacher and already have enough names in my negative association list, I don’t need anymore 🙃

My husband and I went over the girl list I made tonight and shortened it to: Kay (after the sweetest person I’ve ever known, my nana, so this is our number one), Eloise, Jane, Maeve, or Marin (h is iffy on that last one).
  • @rogro118 I love the name Kay. It is so special to be able to name a baby after a beloved grandmother. I name my last baby after my grandmother. ❤
  • @rogro118 Maeve is now on our list too! I also really like Marin/Maren, but MH doesn't. Kay is a sweet name and so is the reason behind the name.
  • rae605rae605 member
    @rogro118 we must have similar name styles! My girls list has 16 names on it right now and 3 of them are on your list! I have two boys and if they had been girls they would have been Maeve. It's my favourite name but I had to retire it off my list because my cousin used it! (Wouldn't have known it was my fav because I don't name share either!) 

We didn't tell a soul our name ideas with our boys. Just announced after they were born and it was official. I plan to do the same this time!
  • kj17-2kj17-2 member
    edited May 2019
    I am 100% in agreement about waiting until birth to share the name. You won't hear as many negative comments once the name is official. Plus, it added an element of surprise and anticipation for our families, since we had already shared the gender ahead of time.

Another note... My husband's grandma passed away a year before DD was born. My in-laws expected us to name our baby (at least the middle name) after her. But I have two living grandmas whom I adore, as well as other important people in our lives, and we felt like we couldn't decide to honor just one person without hurting other family members' feelings. So we chose a completely random name and middle name. My in-laws were pretty outspoken about the whole process, but ultimately it's up to you and your partner to do what you want.

Edited typo
  • edited June 2019
    I'm just now making a list since we found out the sex yesterday. Our current favorites are Paisley, Olivia, and Calliope. Jade and Emersyn are also in the running. Our son's name is Grayson Asher.
  • We just started talking about names and it is NOT GOING WELL  :D. We already have a daughter Camryn, so would like a girl name that goes well with that? Up for suggestions! 
  • We just found out we are having a boy! This is our first so we feel a lot of pressure with the name - especially because my father passed recently and my husband lost both his parents. He's Jewish so there's a lot of emphasis on using initials to honor loved ones (his dad's were JR and my dad's were DJ). I think we're leaning toward Jeremy as the "J" first name, but we are finding the middle name to be a struggle. He wants an R for his dad but I want a D for my dad so he can be included too. I would LOVE some suggestions because this is already exhausting. I have a Master's in English (mainly British literature) so I have no shortage of suggestions and fun choices, but my husband is very narrow minded and doesn't like anything he considers remotely "unique." I would LOVE any and all suggestions for middle names - please help us save our sanity! ❤❤❤
  • @alwayseloquent you can do two names for the middle name. It can be a PITA some times filling out legal forms but I know plenty of people who have two middle names, particularly boys.
  • We found out we are having a boy!  My favorite right now is Ronan Max.  This because we like the name and also to honor our three grandparents who are no longer here (Ro)ger, (Nan)cy, and Max. :)
  • @amyjay23 my son is Ronan!  Love it (obviously!) and I love your meaning behind the choice even more!  
  • @rogro118 That’s awesome! What a sweet name. You have good taste. 😘
  • @amyjay23 Ronin/Ronan was our top boy name this time around until we found out were having a girl!