November 2020 Moms

MFM/High Risk/Complications Support Thread

Re: MFM/High Risk/Complications Support Thread

• @lurvleybunchococonuts. So glad the CMV test results were good!!!! 

• @elliemoo so sorry for your loss. I also had a twin pregnancy then found out at the 18 WK AS that we lost one probably around 14 wks. It makes me a bit of an emotional mess, mourning a loss but still excited for the surviving baby while being scared of losing that baby. I'm already on semi-bedrest due to contractions. I hope you are able to get out for a mini-vacation.  Sending hugs ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • We usualy cruise or go to big cities, So it was a change of path for us. Buuut- It was great. We plan to do that more in the future. we didnt get to go to the lake but it was still fun.
  • Okay. Update for all now that I can sit down and actually type a decent message.

Twin A is still growing!! Good news!! My Fluid levels where slightly low but the doctor said it was likely fine and then on monday I went to have it measured again per his orders and this morning he has called to let me know that it has rised and is back within low-normal range, Not low-low range, Which is GOOD. She is measuring slightly small (Measuring 24+4 at around 26+1, Give or take) But she has been measuring small since the growth scan and it hasnt gotten worse. Doctor said at 28 weeks we will be entering third Tri and Once i'm able to do kick counts (Third Tri) He is going to drop ultrasounds to once every other week instead of weekly, Which is good? I think?

*Maybe triggering*
     As far as Baby B, We did all paperwork for him to be sent and Autopsied upon birth so that we know what happened (Hopefully) and Why ( Hopefully). On sunday I had some pretty bad pain in my general Vagina area (Like. I thought i broke my vagina) and I was afraid that somethingh was wrong, Went to ER... Wellll, I'd pulled a muscle somehow. Still hurts but it's fine. 

On non medical side-I'm having pregnancy brain bad this morning. 
    Campbells chicken soup....Yknow, Condensed one- That you add a can of water with the soup?

I forgot to add the water, Microwaved it.... Couldnt figure out why it was so salty, And then as i stood there it HIT me like a ton of bricks that You /Normally/ Add water to CONDENSED products.
  • @elliemoo :D:D:D I'm so laughing about the Campbell's soup because I can just imagine how salty that was.  We've all been there!  I put away the PB in the fridge vs the cupboard the other day and then couldn't find it and then blamed it on MH for putting it away in the fridge *facepalm* :D Also, mind you I did this NOT-pregnant, but I once attempted to make a homemade pecan pie for MH for Thanksgiving and for the life of me could not figure out why it wasn't setting/baking right.  It was in the oven for well over 2.5 hours before it dawned on me that I forgot to add eggs :D LMAO  It made some pretty decent hard toffee I guess *shrug*

I'm glad to hear that Baby A is doing well and that hopefully you can cut back on US/monitoring!  The sucks about the pulled muscle but *phew* thank goodness it was nothing worse.  Regarding Baby B that must have been really difficult paperwork to fill out :( I hope if provides some answers as to what happened and helps <3 *creepy internet stranger hugs*

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @elliemoo Glad to hear that Baby A is looking good.  That paperwork must have been difficult to fill out xx 

If it makes you feel any better about the soup, a couple years ago DH had back surgery.  When we got home he was on bed rest for a while and he wanted a bowl of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. So I warmed him up a bowl and he just about spit it out... I didn't know you were supposed to add water!!! I never have canned soup myself, so I had no idea... and he still loves to bring up this story about my 'cooking' when he was on bed rest!  No pregnancy brain involved! lol
  • @bserena agreed on loving to see happy updates here <3 That's interesting about you measuring/being smaller than most of your family.  I'm sorry about your twin :(

TW: potentially triggering/sensitive subject regarding twins
    Weird question and soooo many apologies if it's insensitive or prying (seriously, just tell me to mind my own business), but have you ever felt like you were missing something/someone knowing you had a twin that didn't make it?  Twins have always fascinated me, so knowing we're having twins is super neat IMO.  I can't wait to see what differences and similarities they have.  Right now based on their movements/etc we anticipate Dottie being a feisty litte firecracker and gonna give DD a run for her money on who's in charge. And Georgie we anticipate being laid back, more go with the flow, calmer.  Obviously we could be COMPLETELY wrong.

LMAO about your microwave macaroni :D  Goodness, it reminds me of my sister.  She once burned pasta by letting the water boil out of it and my dad's pot permanently had little black elbow noodle shapes seared into the bottom of it :D:D and another time she lit the stove top on fire and just stood there shrieking for me (the YOUNGER sister) to help her :D She also learned first hand not to put metal spoons in the microwave.  She eventually grew up and even turned into a decent cook, but Lord, she was a disaster waiting to happen :D:'(:love:<3

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts LOL about your sister! Sounds like my sister... she is 17 and at her age I was cooking a ton but I'm not sure if she knows how to boil water, haha.

Re: twin question, spoiler just in case!
    Not insensitive at all! I wouldn't say that I have ever felt that way, to be honest. When my mom told me/explained it to me, I was maybe 10 or 12? (She swears she told me earlier then this, but this is the first time I remember and probably actually realized what it meant) and I definitely had a few weeks where I felt weird about it and had some emotions, but other than that it isn't something I ever really even think about. 

Also, I actually have twin step-daughters, they are 14! We have them part-time. They are fraternal twins and couldn't be more different! Looks-wise, personality-wise, everything! It is actually pretty fascinating to me, as they've had the same upbringing, experiences, etc. 
  • @bserena Lol at your sister
    re: twins

phew okay glad I wasn't being obtusely insensitive lol.  That's really interesting about you and also your SDs :)  It's so neat how so fraternal twins can look almost identical but then others look completely different.  They each will have their own personalities I'm certain just like any other range of siblings :)  My sister and I were complete opposites growing up and either best friends or worst enemies.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @elliemoo :D:D:D I'm so laughing about the Campbell's soup because I can just imagine how salty that was.  We've all been there!  I put away the PB in the fridge vs the cupboard the other day and then couldn't find it and then blamed it on MH for putting it away in the fridge *facepalm* :D Also, mind you I did this NOT-pregnant, but I once attempted to make a homemade pecan pie for MH for Thanksgiving and for the life of me could not figure out why it wasn't setting/baking right.  It was in the oven for well over 2.5 hours before it dawned on me that I forgot to add eggs :D LMAO  It made some pretty decent hard toffee I guess *shrug*

I'm glad to hear that Baby A is doing well and that hopefully you can cut back on US/monitoring!  The sucks about the pulled muscle but *phew* thank goodness it was nothing worse.  Regarding Baby B that must have been really difficult paperwork to fill out :( I hope if provides some answers as to what happened and helps <3 *creepy internet stranger hugs*
     Yeah I had to text my Fiance on that one and tell him what a FOOL I was. I Love that, Though, About the PEcan pie. We've all screwed up.... If you forget to add water to brownies and just add oil and eggs theymake really good fudge...

• @elliemoo so happy to hear that your fluid is back in the normal range and baby A looks good! I hope the autopsy will give you peace ❤️

• bserena said:
    @elliemoo so glad to hear the good news about baby A <3 and your fluid levels rising! I just love seeing happy updates in this thread! I can't imagine what you are going through with baby B, but I am glad that you guys will have the opportunity to get answers.

*Maybe TW?* I don't think I have mentioned this, but I was actually a twin and my twin passed in utero. I measured a bit small (and still am actually small compared to my family, lol!) BUT I made it full term (and then some) and came out healthy as can be at 42 weeks and roughly 7lbs.

Also, pulled muscle, OUCH! But glad it wasn't anything more serious!

Re: your soup fiasco, LOL! I am with you on pregnancy brain, for sure. @lurvleybunchococonuts I have a similar story... I was making microwave macaroni (those little cups) where you add water... and then microwave for 5+ minutes. Started microwave and went upstairs, few minutes later smelled smoke, went down to see a FIRE in the microwave. I had forgotten to add water!
    They are looking into the possibility of induction due to her measuring small, But my Fiance is only 5'2 so I'm not SUPER Worried, Because he's small, Even though I'm much taller (5'8) Maybe she took after him- Nevertheless, I'll likely be getting induced at 39W if I make it that long without any Further growth issues.My doctor currently is just thinking maybe she's just gonna be small since shes been measuring small from essentially the beginning (I had an 8 week scan, 12th was when she started measuring small.Hasnt gotten any smaller,Is staying about the same level of small.
  • Had another ultrasound today with the MFM. Growth looks good and good heartbeat. The right kidney is still measuring larger but still just monitoring. My fluid was elevated so she wants to move up my GD screen since it's scheduled for 2 weeks from now. And she drew blood to test for different infections as a potential cause (I remember someone else just had this done). She said she's not too concerned about the elevated fluid because it's just above the normal range but enough to indicate further testing and monitoring. I go back in 3 weeks for the next ultrasound.

This wasn't my normal MFM, she was filing in. She seemed more concerned about the 7 1/2 weeks of contractions and recommended talking to my midwife again since I haven't gone into the hospital for monitoring. My cervix is still closed and no fluid leaking. I did ask her about the muscle relaxers I've taken and she said it was okay as long as I limit how frequently I take them as if I'm taking them then go into labor baby could be sleepy. I have a history of esophageal, stomach, and pelvic floor spasms so I have an as needed prescription for a muscle relaxer that is safe during pregnancy. The pain was so bad last night that I took a muscle relaxer and a warm bath because I was wondering if my stomach was spasming on top of the contractions. It seemed to help reduce the intensity of the pain. But 7.5 weeks of contractions and I'm just sore. I'd love to even have an hour without contractions or to sleep through the night without them waking me up. 
  • Hi everyone, I am new! I just introduced myself briefly in the intro thread.  

I am currently 28 weeks with #2. Last week I noticed I lost part of my mucus plug. Thankfully I already had an appt the next morning. I mentioned it to the ob. Since I had already been diagnosed with a short cervix and had some Braxton Hicks she decided to check me, I was 1 cm dilated. I was sent to the hospital for steroids and a fetal fibronectin test. Thankfully the test was negative (so unlikely to deliver for 2 weeks) and nothing very notable on the monitor. (This was Friday).

Today I got my results back from the blood work at the appt. My platelet count is low. I had HELLP  last go around. I ended up being induced at 39 weeks with a platelet count of 80 (150 is low end of normal, you can't get an epidural if your count is below 100).  

I think I am just overwhelmed, mad, anxious, etc. I am thankful that things are being "caught" early, but man can't it be a little easier?!
  • @kelk5 glad hb & babe looked good today! Contractions this early & often sounds awful :( glad they're keeping an eye on you and your cervix looks good! I had a blood draw for possible infections, toxoplasmosis & CMV. 

@teachingbp 👋 hi! Welcome :) I'm glad they caught your low platelet count early but that is frustrating! I hope babe won't need to be delivered early! Pregnancy certainly isn't easy but lots of postitivity and good vibes your way! 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @kelk5 Sorry about the continued contractions. That sounds exhausting. When is your glucose test?

@lurvleybunchococonuts It sounds like your appointment was entertaining! 😂 I’m glad the babies are doing well. Yay for normal cerebellum measurements! Hopefully they both continue to grow well and don’t have to be delivered too early. 

@teachingbp Welcome! I’m so sorry you are having to deal with so much stress. I am glad that your team seems to be on top everything! We are here if you need to vent. 
  • Thank you @vetgirl2011. I am sure I will want to vent more when I process through it all!

@lurvleybunchococonuts seems like you had some fun at your appt 😂
  • @vetgirl2011 it's next Tuesday. I was going to see if I could do it the end of this week but my husband's work is crazy right now and I don't have anyone else to drive me and watch the children this week. 

@teachingbp that's a lot. Are you on any kind of bed rest after losing your mucous plug or are they just having you continue on?

@lurvleybunchococonuts I love your OB for that! 🤞 For 36 weeks and good growth
  • @kelk5 bed rest isn't really recommend anymore, it doesn't necessarily improve outcomes. I was told not to lift, exercise excessively, try not to "crunch" my abdomen...  I am also on vaginal suppositories of progesterone, that's supposed to help. 
  • @kelk5 Thanks! I just had to realization this AM that 36 weeks mean 11 weeks from today :o My husband's "wish" for Halloween babies very well may come true :joy:

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts we also could be in the Halloween range as my son came at 37.5 weeks. I think it would be fun to be close to Halloween but not the exact day. Birthday parties could have costumes but maybe the week before. 
  • Dopplers this AM went well. Dottie's right at 95% for whatever they read on the blood flow. Which is still okay, I guess it just means her heart has to pump a bit harder but in a safe zone. Hence the reason they're watching her so closely. 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts so glad to hear they went well! 💗
  • When I was doing my weekly update I think I forgot to post here 😬😬 so I got my 28 week blood work back (GD, HELLP labs bc I had HELLP last time), my platelet count was low (131k, low end of normal is 150k). I was so upset thinking I was going to start down the HELLP road again and early.  I know there's a 20% chance it could happen again, but I was thinking 20%, the odds are in my favor to not have it this go around. (All other labs were normal).

I went back Friday for repeat labs. Results came back today, platelet count is up to 146k! I am hoping I just had a dip and things will be fine this go around!!
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts I'm glad the Doppler went well this morning.

@teachingbp 🤞your platelet count continues to go up. Have they said how often are they going to check your platelet count?
  • @teachingbp glad your platelet count went back up and I hope it continues to. Depending on the methodology they are using (blood smear/manually counting or based off the analyzer count) platelet count can vary so I pray it was just a fluke. Also depending on the blood pull it can be skewed. I hope it stays up!!

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @kelk5 not sure since this was just a portal report, but I go back 8/25 and I am sure they will redraw.

@lurvleybunchococonuts thanks for the info! I am just happy it didn't go down! I think given my history I am prepared for it to go lower, this was just a surprise.
  • @wychets that is such great news! I'm glad they were able to get a good look and that his heart looks good ❤️
  • @wychets hooray! That's such great news! I'm so glad baby's heart is okay and they finally got a good look at it! Too funny about using the TV US wand in your belly buttonn who would have ever thought to try that 🤷🏻 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Failed the 1-hour glucose screening and going for the 3-hour next Tuesday. Not too worried as I failed the 1-hour but passed the 3-hour with my son.
  • @kelk5 I also failed my 1 hour test... Back next Tuesday as well to retest! Although I'm a FTM so a little nervous about failing next week! Also was low in iron.. So on a supplement for that now. 
  • @mia80 I think it's fairly common to fail the the one hour screening then pass the 3-hour so hopefully that's how it works out for both of us. I hope your iron levels come back up soon. After my MMC I was anemic, the iron supplements can make you constipated so I ate prunes daily and took 1,000 mg of magnesium to help. I hope your levels come back up. I think in 6 weeks I was back in the normal range.
  • Thank you!! 

@lurvleybunchococonuts I know!! I was like ummm ok? Is this normal? Lol but it worked out perfectly!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Am I the only one with weekly appts (next week starts twice weekly) at this point?

Weekly dopplers went well today! They noted a heart arrhythmia for D today. Sincw the echo was already done and looked good they're not doing anything other than adding it to the list of this to check weekly (watching her heart beat for a few mins weekly). The arrhythmia may have been a 1 time thing and never seen again or couls be persistent, but NBD. The worry is watching to make sure she doesn't go into SVT which is when the heart beats like 200-300 bpm and can cause cardiac damage. If that were to happen I'd be admitted for continuous monitoring, etc etc. It's just a lot of little things. Also D was on top of/in front of G 😂 so couldn't get a very good pic of G this week.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Hi! I’m new to this particular thread. A little about me and sorry it’ll be kinda long so please bear with me. I’m a FTM and currently 29w6d. I failed my 3hr glucose tolerance test and was diagnosed with GDM today which wasn’t surprising due to PCOS with insulin resistance and high family Hx of diabetes. Anyways I have my first appt with a nutritionist next Monday 8/31. In the mean time I also have a virtual appt with a MFM this Thursday 8/27. I’m looking forward to this appt not only bc I have GDM but also bc I was already high risk due to a bleeding/clotting disorder. My regular OB doesn’t want to do a c-section although my hematologist has recommended it to their office as it can cause less complications by being in a more controlled setting and I’ll receive all necessary meds I need prior as well as afterwards. I guess I was partially wondering how people’s experience has been with an MFM compared to regular OB and then do they take over some care throughout remaining pregnancy? I’ve have issues with my regular OB not listening to my concerns thus far. And how difficult is it to maintain a diabetes-friendly diet. Thank you all in advance for any advice or recommendations 
  • @jzajac06 Welcome! I love my MFM (I would completely switch to him if I could). I go once monthly for growth scans. I also have GDM. I was diagnosed early (14 weeks maybe?) The first couple of weeks were a little difficult for me. I’ve found that having quick or prepackaged snacks to grab on my way out of the house in the morning has been really helpful. I recommend meal planning for the first couple of weeks until you get more used to what works for you and what doesn’t. If I can help, let me know! 

@lurvleybunchococonuts I’m glad your doppler went well! Fingers crossed that D had a one time arrhythmia. I am on every other week appointments and once monthly growth scans with my MFM. I guess that makes 3 appointments every 4 weeks.