November 2020 Moms
Options

MFM/High Risk/Complications Support Thread

Hey ladies, I mentioned this in the randoms, but I thought it'd be nice to have a designated thread in regards to those of us going through a high risk pregnancy, being seen by MFM, &/or experiencing complications this pregnancy. We can adjust it to a check-in if the majority would prefer, but just wanted to start something so if any of us in need of extra support can get it <3 Feel free to post your story below and keep us updated!

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
--------------------------------
LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
Me: 33 | DH: 41
Married: March 2016
TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
PCOS dx January 2018
Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
BFP 3/10/2018! 
-------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

Re: MFM/High Risk/Complications Support Thread

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts Sending you big hugs. Hopefully you will get some positive news/answers from your MFM. One of my bffs had a little guy with a 2 vessel cord though he was a singleton, the only "complication" was that they induced her at 37 weeks. He's a totally happy healthy almost six year old now. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts hugs mama that things all work out when you are seen on the 21st! <3 

Also hi! Also geriatric (ha!) and considered high risk at the Advanced Maternal Age of 35 lol.  I have been seeing MFM since the beginning and all of my ultrasounds are done in the hospital.  I have had bleeding complications this pregnancy, but no one knows why, so that is interesting.  Other than that my biggest hurdle right now is getting baby girl to cooperate on Monday so they can complete our A/S fully (still missing pictures of her face) and the Fetal Echocardiogram.
  • Options
    @jaclyn0405 I think you commented while I was typing out my novel, lol! Hoping you have a great scan Monday and can get the rest of the images they need. 
  • Options
    @bserena thanks love! Me too! I am ready to just move on to the rest of the pregnancy and no that the door is closed on a healthy heart! <3 
  • Options
    @bserena the same friend and same baby I commented above also had marginal cord insertion! Induction at 37 weeks was the only issue because at that point he had stopped growing at the rate he should. He came out perfect! Hugs!

@jaclyn0405 We have a fetal echo in a couple of weeks scheduled too. I hope your's goes well!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi ladies!!
    I am high risk since I was induced at 36 weeks due to pregnancy induced high blood pressure and DD was under 5lbs. My BP spiked out of no where around 33 weeks and stayed that way up until birth, so this time around my doctor has me taking a chewable baby aspirin 1x a day to help maintain my BP. So far my BP has been excellent and DS is measuring bigger than DD already.

Wishing you all happy and healthy pregnancies!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited July 2020

@crizz13 It makes me snicker that over 35 if considered “advanced” maternal age.  Lol at geriatric.  I had a friend in HS whose mom had her at 50.  Now THAT is advanced maternal age :D Glad things are going well so far!

@jaclyn0405 hoping for a cooperative baby on Monday!  They certainly like to make life more difficult ;)  My 20mo used to play hide and go seek from the Doppler every time my OB would check her heart rate.  She hated it and while I was in labor the nurse was CONSTANTLY in there readjusting her heart rate monitor.

@bserena UGH I so feel you on trying not to worry <3 I’m glad you’ve mostly been able to calm down and hooray for baby measuring on track!  That is super scary about all the bleeding you experienced.  Do you know if you will be able to deliver vaginally due to his cord? Or is it unknown at this point?  And YES! It was such a relief that MH can go with me.  Honestly he just as much/more of a worrier about the twins than I am.  I at least am starting to feel more distinct movement, he doesn’t get that reassurance.  Hoping baby boy keeps measuring on track at your next scan!

ETA: 

@wychets you posted as I was commenting :)  glad to hear your BP is staying good this time around and that baby boy is looking good!  It's nice when something as small as a chewable aspirin can make a difference!   

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @wychets so glad this pregnancy is going well for you and that the aspirin seems to be helping! <3
  • Options
    @crizz13 that is definitely reassuring to hear! I don't know anyone who has experienced it so I am glad to hear of someone else who had a happy and healthy little one despite cord issues.

@lurvleybunchococonuts my OB said I should be fine to deliver vaginally as long as it doesn't change to a velamentous cord insertion and no further problems arise. So hoping that is the case! Of course, either way I just want a healthy baby but surgery scares me, lol. I was so glad MH was with me when they found the cord insertion because he was able to hear it all straight from the doctor too and I felt better just having him there for support!

Also, I laugh at the 36+ advanced maternal age too, 36 is so young! My mom actually had my youngest sister when she was 42 and my sister was a happy, healthy, full term baby. My mom did say the pregnancy was a little harder on her body then with me (she was 25) and my middle sister (she was 31), but other than that everything was great!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @bserena Oh good! I'm glad that vaginal deliver *should* hopefully still be an option.  But I agree, it goes without saying that healthy baby is key <3  I don't know if you're on FB or part of any other "mom" groups, but I'm part of a few twin/MoM (mom of multiples) groups and was able to post there and there were significantly more people having gone through what we are with Dottie than I expected.  It was super reassuring and I wonder if you could find something similar :love: 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts My FB is deactivated, although I get on there from time to time. That is a good idea though, I may look into it! Plus, when the group moves to FB I definitely want to stay involved so I am sure I will end up reactivating anyways lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @bserena I don't really love FB either, but I keep mine activated for the specific/dedicated mom groups (and I have an rather embarrassing number of them: cloth diaper groups, baby wearing groups, my 2 N'18 groups, gossip groups, BFing and EPing support groups, twin/MoM groups, buy/sell/trade groups, etc).  *hiding* Please don't judge me :D:D:D  I very rarely scroll my timeline and will just go directly to my groups lol. Otherwise, if you have instagram maybe there's similar people you could follow?  Or the ever popular reddit subgroups (I actually know very little about reddit, but I do know there are subgroups for just about everything and some people are super into them) *shrug*  

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    Thank you!! It amazes me that, that little pill is making such a difference!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts what kind of twins are you having again? Di/Di? 

My twin pregnancy sucked and I was seen by the MFM the entire time . 

My cervix started to dilate at 24 weeks (I was 3 cm ) and it was shortened basically non existent. I was too late for a cerclage so I was out in strict bed rest with a cervical pessary. Their goal was to get me to 26 weeks but I made it to 32 before twin A’s water broke . 

I just figured it was a twin pregnancy after I gave birth 9 months ago that caused the complicated but at my last appointment the midwife kind of freaked out and set me up for another ultra sound ASAP to measure my cervix so now I’m freaked out . It’s tomorrow at 12:30 . I CANNOT go on bedrest this time around with 2 2 years olds and a 4 year old it just couldn’t happen .. ugh darn pregnancy !  
  • Options
    @ecolton01 oh no! I hope things go well tomorrow!!

@wychefs the power of a tiny pill, so awesome! <3 
  • Options
    @ecolton01 yes, my girls are di/di! That's scary about your cervix! But good job keeping your twina in until 32 weeks! I hope things go well this time around ❤ hoping your US goes well tomorrow!

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    mia80mia80 member
    @vetgirl2011 Does IVF automatically make you high risk? We did IVF as well, and my OB said I was high risk because of my age and history... which I took to mean MC... but maybe it was IVF as well? Also I suppose my eggs are only 38... so not quite as old as the incubator!

I haven't been referred to an MFM, but I love my OB. I've been having issues with anxiety and she is amazing with the mental health side of everything. 
  • Options
    @mia80 From what I understand, IVF by itself doesn’t make you high risk, but can increase the chance for 1st trimester bleeding and may make you more likely to have a shortened cervix. I originally was sent to the MFM for a fetal echocardiogram due to early gestational diabetes. He recommended monthly ultrasounds because of my age, GD, and IVF pregnancy all together. 

I still see my regular OB for everything else. I also have anxiety problems that my regular OB helps me manage (along with antidepressant/anxiety medication). 
  • Options
    @mia80 so glad baby's heart is good ❤ 

@vetgirl2011 that's so great that your MFM & the techs are great 😍 bedside manner is sooooo important. I have a friend whose MFM had TERRIBLE bedside manner but was the best in her area (not that she had many to chose from I believe there were only 2 or 3 and still was over an hour drive for her) 😔

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    mia80mia80 member
    @vetgirl2011. That all makes sense. I didn't think IVF was a factor... But just realized I had never asked! I don't know your history, but I personally think it's hard to go through IF without developing anxiety, depression or some sort of other concern.... And so many doctors overlook the mental side of it. Glad to hear your OB is helping manage that side of things. 
  • Options
    @mama-buckets please don't ever think you're "crazy" for being worried about LO. Being a mom is so stressful even without there being a possible problem ❤

@ecolton01 glad everything checked out good!

@jaclyn0405 oh my that is so much to be worried about. I'm so sorry about your brother :( but soooo glad LO looks good! What a relief! I'm so glad it ended up being a useless comment but I'm sorry it added unnecessary worry. 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @jaclyn0405 and @ecolton01 I'm SO SO SO glad to see your updates. <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecolton01 so happy everything looks good!

@jaclyn0405 What a relief! I’m so happy for you!
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts  how did your appt go with the MFM today?? 

p.s. I'm here lurking as a 3TM with 2 complicated pregnancies, and im sure this one will be no different - gestational diabetes, gestational hypertension, giant babies, yadda yadda... waiting a few more week to confirm the shitshow, but here to support regardless!
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts - I saw their US pics - sweet babies!!! prayers for peace for you and DH, and that dottie keeps on trucking and getting bigger and stronger every day. keep us updated all the time - thinking of you! <3
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • Options
    mama-bucketsmama-buckets member
    edited July 2020
    @lurvleybunchococonuts keep the Faith mama. You and your babies sound like you’re in great hands and you seem to have a level head on your shoulders through what I can only imagine is a scary time. I saw your US pics this morning too and both littles look beautiful! I’ll be putting the best vibes out there for you and your growing family that Dottie continues to be the fighter she’s meant to be! 🥰🥰 sending a little extra lovin your way today. 
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts I’m so sorry that your appointment was stressful, but glad that you have a good MFM team. Your babies ultrasound pics are both super cute! Keep us updated. We are here for you!
  • Options
    mia80mia80 member
    @lurvleybunchococonuts Beautiful pictures of your babies. Can't imagine how stressful this is for you, but glad to hear you have a good team taking care of all three of you  xx