October 2020 Moms
Options

All things COVID

Re: All things COVID

• Options
    @AB518 oh no! That sucks. I have this fear that one of my filings is going to break during all
    this. My dentist is still open but it would be my luck I’d end having the issue the one day they can’t open or something. Sorry you have to wait. 

@morethanamama That’s a lot of husband time this year. I don’t know if I could handle having my husband at home all day all week long. I feel like a bad wife saying that but I love our breaks. 
  • Options
    @morethanamama lol my husband always works from home, so it’s weird for him to have me home this much (even though I’m always home on summer break). But he will be in the same boat as your husband pretty much haha 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @morethanamama That’s what we’re thinking too! He’s more of a ? if he’ll go back to work, but I am pretty sure I’ll be WFH until maternity leave! We are normally work-at-workers but being able to spend more time together and with our toddler has been awesome—though we definitely need our separate work spaces! I am excited that he’s actually getting leave this time—with our first he was brand new at his job and hadn’t yet qualified for leave, so I think he took a week of vacation before having to go back to work? Uggghhhh. REALLY looking forward to him being home with me this time. 
  • Options
    It is so weird hearing people talk about paternity leave. I've never even had good maternity leave options let alone there being paternity leave. My H is planning on taking about a week off and will probably end up still working a bit from home during that time. Thankfully my mom can come stay. His big boss called yesterday to see what he thought about people going back into the offices soon. I'm so proud of him for still being skeptical about safety for me. If he was single he would probably still be in the office. 
  • Options
    @aefsparrow In our state it is technically “paid family leave.” He doesn’t really get anything from his employer, besides the ability to take the state leave.
  • Options
    The boy person is going to be a stay-at-home dad (he does not work and I make plenty of money), but my mom is also probably going to be out for a month or so (assuming stuff doesn't get crazy with corona and change the rules for travel).
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    kboydbowmankboydbowman member
    edited May 2020
    For some people this might be anxiety provoking, but for me it was reassuring...estimating your risk of both catching COVID and dying from it....

https://www.covid19survivalcalculator.com/?fbclid=IwAR2wf_aBNOAYPgH7CgqfU-cIVwE4qEsxUgKvM8zbsHAr9YdO_37cWBaCvPA
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    So hubby’s favorite restaurant has a worker who tested postive for COVID and was working Saturday when he picked up his order. So now we’re both super paranoid.
  • Options
    @mamahosch oh no! I don't blame you. Is getting tested a possibility? The drive-thru CVS pharmacy's in my city just started doing drive-up testing for anyone. As long as they were wearing a mask and taking precautions if they handled your order chances are probably low it would transfer to the food.
  • Options
    @mamahosch getting a test in Iowa is ridiculously hard. Our governor is an idiot. But I believe the worker was wearing a mask (they all were) and I think it’s pretty unlikely it was the worker my husband dealt with. So I think we’re okay!
  • Options
    @mamahosch That's good! Hopefully you guys are safe, but it's scary no matter what. My state seems to be handling things generally okay, it helps that I live and work in a pretty low impact area. I was really excited to see that testing was becoming so accessible here though especially now that I'm back at work. Hopefully it will start becoming as accessible around the country, too. 
  • Options
    @ginevere I’m just ready for things to be back to normal. But I’m not sure they will be for a very long time...
  • Options
    jgrodojgrodo member
    Things opening back up is making me so nervous. After my convo with my ob I'm even more nervous uggg... 
  • Options
    @jgrodo Our State hasn’t technically opened back up yet but people are getting lazier with the guidelines and the number of new cases has me really nervous about how things will go when we’re officially in phase two. Last week we went from 100-200 new cases per day (which it had been for a few weeks) to 300-350 new cases per day. Could be due to increased testing, maybe... though from what I’ve heard it’s still tough to get a test?
  • Options
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason plus ideally you want to test a lot and not find many cases because that would mean the virus is not spreading much anymore. As far as we're concerned we're not really going to restaurants and such but we will be seeing some of our friends, just keeping the party outside and limited to one family at a time.
  • Options
    I know someone else was talking about this recently but don’t know if it was in this thread or elsewhere... my employer is talking about bringing people back into the office and it makes me nervous. I have an email in to my OB to ask for her advise. I know how lazy people were with their hygiene before coronavirus (washing their hands after bathroom, cleaning shared spaces etc), and I just... I’m not ready to go back...
  • Options
    jgrodojgrodo member
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason totally!  We just entered phase 1 on Friday  but people had def started getting lazy before here too. How soon is your boss talking about bringing people back? Totally get not being ready to go back to work. I keep hoping I don't get called in because I feel like I'll have to quit if I do.
  • Options
    @morethanamama We went and visited cousins yesterday—we hadn’t seen them since January, so we were all feeling like it was time. And I’ve gone into a couple stores, masked up. I went to Chipotle the other day for a mobile order pick-up and the line was just as long as pre-COVID, no additional spacing, and no masks. 🤦🏼‍♀️

@jgrodo They’re talking about maybe July? So it’s nice there’s a little bit of time to see how things are progressing, but then as it gets closer to the due date I want to be taking FEWER chances so that we don’t have that extra complication with delivery. I think if I were to say “I am not coming back in,” that would be acceptable, but I don’t want to be that person...
  • Options
    We opened things up in my county last weekend. Luckily our case count has been really low per person, but we’ll see if the numbers go up in the next week or two. We have gone out a few times to walk places, but we won’t go to sit down restaurants. I keep having dreams where I’m in a public place and I think people are breathing too close to me. 😂

Unfortunately my boyfriend had to travel this last weekend for work. Luckily he can social distance as a photographer, and was outside. He was also able to drive, so he didn’t have to deal with an airport or plane. Still worries me though. 
  • Options
    jgrodojgrodo member
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason that makes total sense. At least you have a little bit of time before you have to worry about it. Maybe you could go in July and leave early in August or something to avoid the delivery complications? I dunno it's so tricky. I'm trying to avoid going I to work (I work in a hospital, and am debating the possibility of quitting which I don't really want to do but I also don't want to be directly exposed). Im surprised they didn't space the line at chipotle.  You're more daring then I've been. I haven't been in a store since the end of Feb or the very beginning of March.
  • Options
    I go back into the office on Sunday, but I have a private office and can require patients check temps before entering and maintain at least a semblance of social distance with most of them. I'm also getting ready for a trip. I'm flying to TN on the last day of the month. I'm not feeling terrible about it, I trust airports to be cleaner than truck stops and motels. But I will be super careful and make sure I'm masked, sanitized and change clothes before i get in my moms car. 
  • Options
    I just spoke to my new boss since I'm transferring on June 15th, and they're back open and fully operational, so I will be returning to a full workday once I check-in there. I'm a little nervous, but I will have my own private office and the teams that I am supervising are behind closed doors so they don't have interaction with customers like we did when I was working in my old office. I have a check-up with my OB between now and then, and can ask her what she advises for me returning to work, but I don't foresee it being an issue since I don't have any preexisting health issues and this pregnancy is considered healthy.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Options
    I think it’s okay to tell your work that you aren’t comfortable coming back. I work at a museum in the gift shop, so I was really nervous about going back. I’m in one of the most public places in the museum, would have to rely on people being honest about if they had symptoms or were exposed, and we have visitors from at least 3 states so that’s at least 3 different situations of positive cases, phase of reopening, etc. And I knew my anxiety wouldn’t be able to handle the daily stress of worrying if I’d been exposed or not. I told work that I’m not comfortable coming back right now and that I’d like to work from home as long as possible. My boss was fine with my decision and just said to let her know if I needed anything. Hopefully most workplaces will be understanding, but I do feel lucky mine was
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @nola1119 Here’s the Covid thread @anitamargarita_82 was referring to. It’s been a major concern for many. If you haven’t yet, please alert your doctor ASAP that you’ve been exposed to confirmed cases. 
  • Options
    The headline is a little click-bait-y, but still good info, especially for those of you battling bosses of whether to go back to working in office, etc. Spoiler-ed in case it's triggery
  • Options
    @peanutorcookie Thank you for posting the article. With case count going up in my city, and new warnings to pregnant woman seeming to be everywhere it was getting overwhelming. I am thankful this article spelled it out better. I didn’t like the 5% more likely statistic floating around because they never said the base number. That can change the statistic for pregnant women greatly. 
  • Options
    I'm so sick of this country being literally on FIRE! What else needs to happen before states mandate masks and scale back on the openings, potentially reinstating a stay at home order? I feel like we've been super careful but I swear I just question myself everytime my nose feels dry or I sneeze! Especially after seeing my in laws last week. Ugh. Anyways. Just feeling down reading (real) accounts of healthcare workers saying hospitals are at capacity and feeling super mad about how all of this was handled. And also feeling discouraged about how we are going to get out of this mess...
  • Options
    @morethanamama I also feel incredibly discouraged. I live in an area that is pretty divided politically and it's so very hard to go to the store and see 80% of people not wearing masks or to read the comments on the news articles (I know, never read the comments 🤦🏻‍♀️). I'm trying to look at positive things, like Texas's mask mandate. Our County is voting on a mask mandate this week and I've heard it's likely to pass. 

In also positive news, I think I mentioned this in the weekly update or randoms, but my law school has announced that any student can be fully remote the ENTIRE school year, not just fall semester. And any law professor can chose to have fully remote classes. It's the safest solution and so very much what I was hoping for - I would have been totally okay with fully remote but I know some of my classmates really struggled and I feel enough people will be remote that they'll be able to have actual social distancing and I'm 99% sure there will be a campus mask mandate.  
  • Options
    @morethanamama I feel the same way. I’ve been trying to be careful, but it’s hard when others aren’t. I keep trying to physical  distance from my neighbors and they don’t seem to anymore. We share a driveway, and have been hanging out during the shutdown. It seems like physical distancing has become less and less important. Our numbers are going up in our county. 

I’ve decided I’m going to go back to pretty much staying home, and only going for car rides (he goes in and runs the errands), curbside pickup, or doctor’s appointments. People are going to be shocked we had a baby since I never go out, and we haven’t announced on social media. 
  • Options
    @morethanamama I think most of us on this board feel this way, or at least that’s the vibe I’ve gotten! What I’m really mad about today is that the president is trying to push governors to require schools to open up. I’m apologizing now to anyone who supports him on here, but WTF!!! He has no clue what he’s doing with this virus. What about students, teachers, and staff members who are high risk? Is he going to pay for our hospital bills when we end up on ventilators? I’m just so mad. I’m already nervous about going back for 2 months being pregnant. 
  • Options
    @mamahosch That’s really scary. Also teaching with a mask for 8 hours sounds awful, especially if you start back up in the summer. And kids definitely don’t understand physical distancing. Hope your district holds out a little while. 
  • Options
    @animalandplantrescuer we start officially on August 24 (but my preschoolers start the 27th) We should be hearing from our district any day now about what will be happening this fall. Luckily I don’t teach a full 8 hours - my kids come for 3 hours in the morning or 3 hours in the afternoon. So I can have a break from wearing a mask in between while my associate and I clean between classes if I need one. And yes, preschoolers cannot social distance! They’re 4 and they’re just babies who want love, especially at the beginning of school! 
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    My county has started removing recovered cases from the case count they publicize. So for example, if we have 10 new cases and 10 recoveries the number won’t change... but they refuse to explain what constitutes recovered, and the number very conveniently seems to match the new case count almost every day. Our county commissioner also said there will never be a mask mandate in our county no matter what, and the majority of people are choosing not to wear masks. We have no social distancing requirements in any business or gathering restrictions. I’m terrified of what my hospital and the policies are going to look like in 2 months at this point. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I hate that we’re still dealing with this. I hate that people just got bored with it and decided it’s not that big of a deal anymore. I hate that schools are being forced into these decisions (aware it’s not even the schools actually making the decisions). I’ve been thinking about the low-income districts where the kids can’t afford and don’t have the support to do online learning, the parents who have to go back to work and need a place to send their kids, the kids whose meals at home are few and far between and at least going to school guarantees them a meal each day. But I have friends who are teachers who like you, are scared. I can’t imagine a room full of preschoolers or kindergartners wearing masks and making them stay 6ft apart?! This is completely bananas. At least in our state, schools don’t go back until September. I am also bewildered at how a global pandemic became a polarizing political issue, but I don’t really want to get into that here. :)

My husband is getting tired of the masks, because keeping all his breath contained is making his dermatitis on his face flare up. But I reminded him how important it is we all stay healthy for the next few months. To me the worst thing would be if he got symptoms and couldn’t go to labor and delivery with me!

Try to stay safe out there, everyone. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen that article on Sweden? Sweden chose to do stay open and not require anything during the pandemic. It’s interesting to see that their economy is still taking a hit anyway and the number of people getting sick or dying is on average higher than other countries so doing nothing isn’t working.  I will say I live in a state that requires reopening with no mask enforcement. Our numbers escalated quickly and now about 2 weeks post mask requirements we’re getting a lower rate of new cases(not great but lower.) curious to see what happens in the next week or two after 4th of July. I have a friend who is a head nurse at my hospital Where I am to deliver and a month ago that had zero cases or zero unknown contacts with anyone with covid. As of a week ago they now have four maternity patients and the hospital itself has a lot of ICU patients including some kids! I was hoping they would lift the visitor rule so DD would get the chance to go see baby sister, but doubt that’s going to happen. 

@baseballismyfavoriteseason That’s a huge fear of mine too. I know I can’t be turned away if I have symptoms but he can. MH is really good about wearing the mask. His germophobia is actually a great thing during this. 
  • Options
    I share the sentiment! @morethanamama my state has mandated masks from the get go and people still refuse to wear them. Our governor just put in effect a fine for not wearing them last week and people STILL are not wearing them. I still go for walks outside and I do my grocery shopping in person now which I hadn’t been doing. My husband has had to work the entire time so that obviously puts us at a higher risk right away. He has to fight with people every single day about wearing their masks into his place of business. I’m so great full I’m not teaching this year or I’d be back in the classroom first of August. 😫
  • Options
    Even in a very high-mask-compliance area, this is why I still don’t go out often: I was at Target the other day (needed something that wasn’t available with drive-up) and walked by someone who was taking off his mask so that he could wipe his nose with his bare hand... 🤦🏼‍♀️

@babycakesday My husband is usually the more paranoid one in our relationship about germs—he’s the one who made me start wiping down airplane seats and tray tables when we started traveling together years ago! But he’s just really uncomfortable with his skin condition right now. He still wears the mask but it makes him REALLY grumpy!
  • Options
    @baseballismyfavoriteseason has he talked to a dermatologist about a solution? I know I was getting hives around my cheeks from the rubbing I guess and she gave me a face cream to put on so they don’t flare up. Luckily I rarely go out so I don’t use it often. I hate it so much that I always ask myself if It’s worth leaving the house 😆 
  • Options
    @babycakesday I have been following Sweden’s “experiment” because 2 of my great grandparents were born there. It makes me feel a connection to the country. Anyway, I was reading an article awhile back on how hard it is to get testing. And they won’t treat you if you haven’t tested positive. I usually have a bias for the Swedish way of life, but this just sounds plain stupid. Let’s not shut things down, but we won’t test. And because we won’t test, we won’t treat! 👎
  • Options
    We’ve slowly started going to places in the last few weeks, but we try to control the situation as much as possible and really limit where we go. I had to have an in-person meeting for work, but luckily everyone wanted to social distance so we met in a park and sat in a wide circle so we could maintain distance. For right now it looks like neither MH or I are gonna have to go back to working in-person in the near future, which I’m really thankful for. The most frustrating part for us right now is not being able to go back to church. It’s a lot of older folks who refuse to wear a mask going anywhere, so we just don’t feel safe going inside. However, both the city and the county passed mandatory face mask laws in the last few weeks, so we’ll see how that goes.