October 2020 Moms

All things COVID

Re: All things COVID

• @MrsCeballos This is totally a thing.  I blow my nose first thing in the morning and intermittently through the rest of the day.  I'm not usually "drip snotty," but man is there a lot of it in there.  No cough though.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman I'm glad it's not just in my head! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Found out that DH took care of a patient last week who just tested positive for COVID ☹️
  • @mckjacks oh no! Is your H going to get tested? Keep us posted!
  • Ugh, I am SO frustrated with my mom right now. She literally called me only to tell me that I need to cancel my appointment because a town 3 hours away had a huge breakout of COVID at the meat plant. ?!????!!!!??!!

They had already cancelled my 12 week appointment and she KNOWS that, and they are an OB clinic who knows what they are doing. 🙄 I was so mad that she even brought up the idea! I haven’t been there since 8 weeks so HELL if I miss an appointment that is scheduled! I know she’s my mom and just looking out for me, but it just really made me mad. Pregnancy hormones man.
  • @morethanamama nope, they won’t test him unless he starts showing symptoms. He’s to self monitor and we’re taking more even more precautions at home. The hospital considers DH low risk because the patient was asymptotic, DH wore a mask, and they did nothing to aerosolize the virus (no breathing treatments or oxygen given). But we won’t sleep in the same room or kiss or share any kind of food or drink for the foreseeable future. ☹️
  • I figured I should check-in here since we're on day 34 of quarantine in my household (just me & MH, plus 4 dogs). We're both introverts, so we're handling the whole WFH thing pretty well. I'm in the military (DHS), so we're required to wear cloth face masks while in the office. Thankfully, I don't have to go in but once per week, and that's during off hours. Usually there isn't anyone else in the office when I go in, but I still practice safe hygiene: no touching my face, using hand sanitizer, disinfecting items I touch, etc. If there is someone in the office with me, I keep a safe distance and wear my N95 mask. The DoD just extended their travel ban to June 30th, so we'll see if my branch follows suit.

As far as home life goes, I'm keeping myself busy preparing for baby. I posted in another thread that we started painting the nursery last weekend, so that's coming along. We just had a 20 yard dumpster delivered this morning so that we can purge some of the larger household items we've been meaning to get rid of forever, which is awesome because we have a lot of stuff and don't have a pickup truck that we could use to haul stuff to the dump. 

I also had a Zoom meeting with my family & close friends who are planning on going to Disney World in February. I've been going almost every year to run the Princess Half Marathon Weekend races, and as time went on, we gradually had more and more people going with us. Next year we'll have between 16-21 total, so I figured now is a good time to start planning. It was a nice distraction, even if our plans fall through.

And lastly, my BFF texted me yesterday to ask me if I had started thinking about my baby shower. Truth be told, I hadn't even considered it given the whole COVID-19 situation, but I let her know that Labor Day weekend would probably be a safe bet, depending on the governor's stay-at-home order. And that's the latest I'd be comfortable having it before the baby gets here, since that'll leave around 6 weeks for us to buy stuff that we aren't gifted at the shower.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• @mamahosch My in laws reacted the same way once we told them I was pregnant. We waited until after the last appt. They were appalled that my doctor would be okay with me going to the office to be seen. DH quickly put an end to it when he told them that our doctor has the best interest in us and if they don’t agree that’s on them. It’s so frustrating so I totally get how you feel. Honestly it was the cleanest and quickest office visit I’ve ever had at the practice. Everyone is being so cautious about everything that I felt so much better once I went. 
  • So I need input and opinions about going to the chiropractor. My back and sciatic pain are getting so bad it’s making it hard to even walk. And my headaches, while partially I know are hormone related, my neck has also had a horrible knot for about a week now and headaches got worse since the neck pain started. I think it’s all being amplified by long hours sitting in front of a computer screen. With my last pregnancy I started having some similar issues and after two visits to my chiro I was in almost no pain. 

So....is it worth the risk to go in to a semi essential maybe non essential appointment? Or should I just tough it out as long as I can and stay home knowing the pain may not go away because I will still be sitting in front of a computer all week? 
  • @JLaVO888 I would call them and see what kind of precautions they’re taking and procedures they’ve instituted due to COVID and then make your decision from there. I’ve really wanted to go to the chiropractor, but haven’t gone yet because my back hasn’t been bad enough yet to chance it. If I was in more pain, I’d be more inclined to chance it. 
  • DS turned one in March the same week covid really exploded here. So they pushed his one year appointment with vaccines back until May. Now they called and pushed it back even further to June. 

I LOVE our pedi and he’s always made amazing choices for our kids and been great through a few scary things we’ve dealt with for my DD. But I’m getting very uneasy about the fact that he keeps pushing the vaccines. 

Should I just trust him because he is the medical professional and I respect/trust him or should I fight it more. I’m assuming he feels the risk of being exposed to covid by coming in is higher than any risk of being vaccinated a bit late. 

Is being delayed on vaccines for 3 months (3 months of which DS is in quarantine anyways and not in any daycare or school setting)  worth me getting all mama bear over???
  • @JLaVO888 is this an independent practice or part of a healthcare company? If the latter, it’s probably not up to him but a policy to conserve PPE. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It’s an independent family owned practice. 
  • @JLaVO888 I'd ask if there's any way you could come just for a vaccine visit? Maybe not do the full check up? There are some really important vaccines they can't get until 1 (measles, chicken pox) so those are ones I really don't like to delay.
  • @coarrotsandpeas The measles is the big one for me. 
  • @JLaVO888, the AAP is recommending all vaccines happen on schedule because the last thing we need is to have an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease on top of Covid. 
    Personally, I would call and ask if you can come in just for vaccines 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• @profmcgonagall see so I am justified for being stressed about it! I dk what the heck they are thinking. 
  • @JLaVO888 I wouldn’t like that either. Our ped is trying as much as possible to keep well checks in the AM and sick appts in the PM, and recommending telemedicine and portal messages where possible, but keeping all appointments. Thankfully we had Bub’s 15m checkup right at the beginning of all this before places started shutting down, and his 18m is another month away so hopefully we’ll be in a better spot. Yeah, I would be very stressed about the vaccinations too. We had a minor measles outbreak about a year ago at this time and I was suuuuuper stressed about having to even wait until he was one!
  • I really don't want to scare people (it's a scary enough time already), but a concerned friend of mine sent me this link earlier today about COVID and miscarriage risk.  Short version if you don't feel like reading is that pregnant women who contract COVID and experience a moderate to severe infection have approximately a 50% rate of miscarriage and/or preterm birth. Granted, this is with a limited sample size, but it's definitely cause for significant alarm for me.  As a result I have decided that I am literally not leaving my house except for work and doctor's appointments.  Please, if you're not being neurotic about COVID precautions, START.  And if your significant others and other family members/friends you come into contact with regularly aren't being neurotic about them, MAKE THEM START.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/01/second-trimester-miscarriage-attributed-to-a-coronavirus-infection-of-placenta.html?__source=sharebar%7Cfacebook&par=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR0Y1o3OUxs2w2SKMlOB4jNRcrKVelS70ypiYqRDl-T9e9Uzu7Hyrc5x7ag
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman UGH this is such a weird and scary virus!!!! I hate that we’re seeing the death toll climb so much and still everything is starting to reopen. I get it, but I also hate it. We are definitely not lifting any of our personal precautions any time soon!
  • @kboydbowman, thanks for sharing. It is scary but it’s important to know the risks.
     The UK is in lockdown until Thursday and they will decide then what else to do. 
    If they reopen, we will still be quarantining for at least the month of May.
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• That's scary. I've been saying to people all along that just because the CDC says there isn't necessarily a high risk for pregnant woman, it's just because they didn't have enough information yet to make those claims.

My state is opening up most businesses next week and I will most likely be heading back to work on Monday. I am terrified and have no idea what to expect from the general public. The governor has set guidelines for customers to wear masks and occupancy must be limited, but I am not sure how I will truly be able to enforce that. And what if people get violent when I turn them away for not wearing a mask? My customer base is typically wonderful, but there have been a lot of lockdown protests in my city and I don't want to deal with those people. 
  • @ginevere The data says that pregnant women appear less likely to die from it, but the miscarriage/pre-term risk is a separate issue.
    Current pregnancy -

• @kboydbowman yeah, that's what I mean when I say high risk. I know being pregnant doesn't necessarily increase my own risk of dying, but if it increases my baby's risk of dying then that, in my mind creates a high risk situation. 
  • @ginevere Totally agree.  I am on about an 80/20 telework vs. onsite ratio right now, and if they try to change that once California decides to start reopening I am going to use this article (and whatever else comes out) as an argument to continue.  And if much more comes out I may make a petition to try to be full telework (which is difficult, given that I am a prison psychologist - right now there's really not a good way to do our client contacts via telework without putting another staff person at risk).
    Current pregnancy -

• @kboydbowman That definitely sounds like a tough job and situation. Hopefully they are understanding if you do have to bring up these concerns. It is so crazy how everyone's situation is so different right now. My company is like 80% women and all of my direct superiors are women so I feel like they are always extra understanding about things like pregnancy and childcare sonI definitely feel lucky in that respect. Having to also rely on the respect and concern of the public is such a different story. 
  • I also read an article that brought up the miscarriage risks. It’s definitely scary, and I am taking precautions to avoid the general public. I think I’ve been out If the house maybe 10 times since even before California shutdown, and most of the time I stay in the car while he goes in. 

I also read another article about a hospital somewhere in the United States, I think maybe Boston. They tested every pregnant woman coming in to give birth. I don’t remember if it was the antibody test or the test to see if they currently have it. It was of course a small sample size, but many of the women tested positive, and didn’t even know they had it. They also gave birth to healthy babies. Sorry I don’t remember more of the details. 

Again it is better to air on the side of caution, but just wanted to say I’ve seen articles on both sides of the spectrum. It’s hard to know what’s best since experts don’t even know what’s best. 
  • KurtniKurtni member
    @animalandplantrescuer The article you’re talking about isn’t mutually exclusive with the one @kboydbowman shared. Hers referred to moderate and severe cases of covid-19 contributing to miscarriage, and what you’re referring to would be asymptomatic cases (so not moderate or severe). It’s not the experts disagreeing, but forthcoming information on different severities of infection. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited May 2020
    @Kurtni I understand. Why I was bringing it up is because if people are asymptomatic it brings down the percentage of miscarriage per case as a whole because there are more cases that aren’t getting tested. Because if only a small percentage of the cases are severe, then the total percentage of pregnant women who will lose their pregnancy is a lot lower. 

I just had an ultrasound tech tell me she knew someone that was 23 weeks pregnant and on life support due to the virus. I have dealt with anxiety my whole life, and if I only think of this, my anxiety will get out of control, so I find it important to remember how many women are pregnant compared to the extreme cases. 

Like I said it is scary, and I am not saying to not be vigilant. I am not even in favor of opening up before we are ready, and this includes much higher testing rates. But I personally have to see both numbers as to not get overwhelmed, and I think that’s important for all of our mental health. 
  • The article isn’t about overall percentages though, just moderate to severe cases. The concern is if we were to contract one of those cases our babies would be harmed.

I flat out asked my OB at my 12 week visit about continuing to work since I’m in a high risk job. He said at this time we feel fairly confident the risk is low. I wonder if that has changed now. 

I have already decided I will quit/take early leave about 6 weeks before my due date even if the risk is low. I don’t want to chance being separated by my baby if I’m positive. If they decide the risk is high for PTL/still birth I will quit.
  • @coldbrew Like I said I completely understand what you both are saying. I am lucky to not be working through this. If I were I would be scared to go in, especially a high risk job. I used to work at Trader Joe’s and I decided if I still worked there I would have asked to be given time off until this has passed over. It just gets overwhelming. That’s why I need to see both reports. If I get a severe case, it can have severe outcomes, but the chances of getting a severe case is small. 
  • Feeling anxious.  We got an email from the warden today - there is now a confirmed staff case of COVID-19 at my prison.  They're going to be doing contact tracing notifications (because of HIPAA they can't tell us who it is), but this is still terrifying.
    Current pregnancy -

• @kboydbowman Oh no!!! I am anxious for you!!! Keep us posted. 
  • I hope everything ends up okay and you are not/were not exposed @kboydbowman. I'll be sending positive vibes your way.
  • @kboydbowman I hope everything turns out ok!

It is super scary to hear about all this data and I also feel like I need to see both sides. Lots of people in Italy died and they were not 65+, they were perfectly healthy individuals. So that's also terrifying. The bottom line is that we are all at risk and we all could get a serious case, I think the good news is that being pregnant - at least at the moment - is not considered necessarily an at risk category. 

This is why it drives me crazy to see people just wanting to get back to their normal life as if nothing ever happened!!
  • My SIL got tested today for COVID. She saw her parents on Sunday and woke up Monday with shortness of breath and a dry cough. Her doctor thinks it’s more likely that it’s an asthma flare-up or allergies but sent her to get tested just in case. She purposely kept a safe distance at her parents’ house but I’m still concerned—we fully believe coronavirus would kill my FIL based on his other health issues. But it confirmed to me that we made the right choice in asking her and her parents not to come for the visit they were planning next week (they live halfway across the country from us). I am worried about her in that she lives alone and what happens if her symptoms suddenly turn nasty. 
  • @baseballismyfavoriteseason Hope your SIL is doing okay! Any word if the test came back positive? 

We did a socially distant lunch with my in laws for Mother’s Day. We ordered food and sat at tables spaced away from each other. In late Feb my SIL got married. We found out that her husband’s  brother and brother in law tested positive for covid 4 days after the wedding. I wrote cough and severe allergies in my pregnancy journal that week. I’m wondering if maybe I had it but had minimal symptoms. 
  • @babycakesday Thanks for asking—no news yet. They told her to expect results in 48-72 hours, so we won’t hear anything for another day or two. 
  • AB518AB518 member
    I have found another reason to hate COVID.  My toddler head butted me and cracked my tooth.  I have nice teeth, and I take really good care of them.  I was shocked that he cracked my tooth, and it hurts a lot.  I found out that my dentist only has a voicemail that they check once a week right now without any way to contact them for anything urgent or emergent.  (I will be changing my dentist.)  I had to search for a dental office that sees emergency dental issues.  I ended up driving an hour to a dental office.  The dentist today said that he would usually be able to fix it within a day, but with the whole COVID thing right now, I can't get anything done about it until the end of next week.  I'm not happy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband is going to be working from home until September...at this point, he's gonna go from WFH to paternity leave LOL