1st Trimester

Weed Smoker Advice - please no negative judgment

I've been a daily weed smoker for approximately 2 years due to depression/anxiety. It had been a lifesaver for me. I always planned to stop once I got pregnant, but when I quit once I found out at 4 weeks, my depression/anxiety was so bad I started back up. I feel so guilty smoking but do not want to take anti depressants.  My husband is supportive of whatever decision I make. The weed has also helped with all of my pregnancy symptoms,  sore breasts, nausea, headaches, insomnia and my appetite.  Anyone have a similar situation? What did you do? How did you find peace of mind smoking while pregnant OR if you quit, did you supplement with anything? 

Re: Weed Smoker Advice - please no negative judgment

• Loading the player...
  • I wasn’t a weed smoker but I ate edibles frequently  before my pregnancy, I did stop once I found out I was pregnant because I know that if something were to happen I wouldn’t be able to live with the guilt. I too suffer from anxiety and depression but I didn’t eat edibles for those reasons. I will say that knowing I’m pregnant and not being able to partake in eating them anymore, I have found other things to fill that “void” I go to therapy, I do daily affirmations and I meditate and incorporated more exercise. I do wish you the best of luck and hopefully you find another way to manage your anxiety and depression over the next several months.
  • edited March 2020
    Ahh, didn’t realize that thank you for letting me know!
  • I've talked to mothers who used street cannabis back in the 80's and had healthy babies, my friend Maria says she thinks her son is smarter because she used cannabis the whole time. 

I'm a medicinal patient and was taking lithium post pregnancy, a tough medication to wean off of, (and yes that's my personal choice, the drs also said I may stay on a low dose of it if I'd like, I personally choose not to take the risk right now), 

My thing is though I've been having bad nausea & loss of apetite, I'm not sure if the cannibus is enhancing the estrogen in my body and making me sicker or if it's just my body re-adjusting.

But I'm sure everyone will tell you, "NO IT'S A BAD DRUG DON'T USE IT," there were pregnant women in jail that were prescribed methadone for heroine withdrawl, and they had healthy babies  so idk I think modern medicine is advancing,

Just do what feels right, if it's cannibus, you have my support I'm pro cannibus use during pregnancy. 
  • naki44naki44 member
    edited April 2020
    I don't think there is room for judgement here - just simple respect for a new life that is growing inside you. I've never smoked, nor do i plan to. I would literally not sleep just knowing what damaging effect it could have on my baby. The only 'addictive' thing I gave up was my ice latte that I would have every day. My doctor told me I could/maybe miscarry and that was it for me. He told me one cup of coffee is okay, but I said to myslef forget it. Why risk your baby's health? What if the risks show when he/she is 10 or 12 years old? Cognitive issues, learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities - I'm just saying. Why risk it? Or what if the baby is unbelievably irritable and won't sleep and cries for HOURS? It can happen, maybe. There are other ways to relieve anxiety without drugs. Again, just the mere possibility of jepordizing baby's health is scary enough for me. Doctors don't know everything and science can be wrong sometimes. I would just stick with logic.
  • ShelleyLaineShelleyLaine member
    edited April 2020
    OP, just asking this question shows that you are strong, caring and fearless. If you truly feel that it's time to make a shift, you can do it. :)
  • feed4feed4 member
    If it helps you, there's no scientific evidence I know of that says it harms fetuses and it has proven health benefits for adults so not sure if we'll ever see it. My stepson is a great kid and his mom smoked pot to ease her symptoms throughout her pregnancy. I live in California so I know a number of people who smoked during their pregnancies actually... All have healthy kids. I would suggest telling your doctor and getting their advice but otherwise, you do you! 
  • Girl gone ahead and have that smoke. Appetite will come nausea will fade and sleep will be great. I did it with my first. He’s fine, he was a happy healthy baby now 7years old. Yup I said it 
  • I smoked the first trimester of my first pregnancy because I could not eat without it. Also I’m on anxiety medication right now and my doctor told me it’s better to take something for anxiety or depression while pregnant then it is to suffer with the anxiety and depression as that stress is way way worse for you and the baby. So I’d take that as your good!
  • Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Also, is it too early to declare....
    The Walking Dead Smile GIF
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • @capnjackharkness, if there has been enough time passed for the baby to be born, I don't think it is too soon.   :D
  • I’ve heard a lot of great things about women smoking to help w morning sickness as well. I don’t think smoking anything is necessarily healthy while pregnant but drs tell women to continue but cut back on cigs so why not. I’m an occasional weed smoker and I plan to continue to occasionally smoke if I feel like I really need/want to.