September 2020 Moms
Options

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Options
    @shredgnarr it's been the same for me, seems to be a vicious cycle with being too sick to eat and then feeling sick because I'm so hungry.  It only just started for me too, at 11w3d, and I'm 12w5d now.  Hoping it goes away soon, definitely wasn't expecting it this late and it's thrown me off my game!  Have you tried sucking on ice or nibbling on snacks so you don't get too hungry? 
  • Options
    Nooooooo! I failed my glucose test   :'( she wanted under 130 and I was at 134. Has anyone here had to do the dreaded 3 hour test? I Honestly don’t even know what happens if you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes...
    I had to do the 3 hour with my second. It was terrible, I won't sugarcoat it (no pun intended). Did you fast for the 1 hour? I failed because I didn't know I had to fast first. The lab techs felt bad I had to go through the 3 hour when it was clearly just poor communication that put me there. FWIW, if you do end up with GD, it can be managed just with diet.
    OH OH also! See if they can just stick you once and then draw from the site three times instead of sticking you three times. My husband is a nurse and said they should have done that for me, but I didn't know to ask. I came home with bruises on both arms from that and my husband was face palming that they were stupid enough to not just leave the IV in and draw from it.
    Married: May 26, 2012
    Eden: February 8, 2016
    Ivy: April 3, 2018
    Baby 3.0: Due September 26, 2020
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @readytobemama I haven't tried either, thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    Has anyone had issues with their peripheral vision? Mine kinda blinked out on the left side for like an hour yesterday and it really freaked me out (which led to a panic attack, funsies). I called the midwife - she said it's probably not pregnancy-related and to call my PCP or go to urgent care if it happened again. Although when I googled it, the internet says it can be pregnancy-related so I wondered. 
  • Options
    @poppyandpines Yes! I had this with my first pregnancy! It first actually happened while at an OB appt and they sent me by ambulance  :| to the hospital just blocks away. They had Neuro come in and check me out and decide if I needed to do an MRI or anything and they said no. Deemed it a nasty migraine with auras. Happened a few more times that pregnancy and never again although I do generally have migraines, just not with loss of vision. I almost feel like it could happen this go around because my headaches have been sooo awful, but I’m hoping it doesn’t. 

Still definitely mention it, but for me it wasn’t anything more than a migraine! 
  • Options
    @poppyandpines Yes, I have had this. I had it repeatedly around 10 weeks or so. It has faded and I haven't had it recently. Although I probably should have gone in and told someone. It seemed to pass after 45min, it was not in conjunction with a headache, and often recovered after eating so seemed likely related to blood sugar. It is concerning though. I ended up with waves and a blind spot during my last pregnancy. They sent me to the Ophthalmologist and had me do an early glucose test. The waves went away after a few weeks but the blind spot never went away and is now permanent. They do not know why.  :/
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Omg I've missed so much on this board lol. I've felt what I'm sure it's the baby moving a few times now (15+1) but only when I'm laying down. I have an appointment this morning and I'm so excited!! Also a bit nervous because I've been very naughty and sleeping on top of a heating pad because it soothes me enough to actually get to sleep, so I'm not sure if I've messed up the kid or not. I'm hoping not. 

Also, has anybody had issues with seeing random sparkles in their vision? I had an issue the other day at work where it was like there was glitter in my eyeballs no matter where I looked so I stood in place for a couple of minutes and didn't move. It passed quickly, after just those few minutes.
  • Options
    @raesky1111 lol to your heating pad. You should be fine 😂 I sleep with my electric blanket every night
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    Only 1 hour of the 3 hour test left and I am surviving! Did you know that they can do finger pricks instead of the draw? So much easier with my dreadful veins. 
  • Options
    Has anyone had the sequential screening done? I have my ultrasound scheduled for it next week. I had a terrible time getting it set up though. It sounds like they never do them anymore. So that has me wondering if I should get a different screening instead. I had chosen that one because it will go towards my deductible, whereas the other ones would not.
  • Options
    My fears about the heating pad have been alleviated lol, doctor says it'll be fine as long as I don't give direct tummy exposure. 
    Another question, as I feel like an idiot... How do you log out of the bump on Android chrome?? I can't for the life of me figure it out and I accidentally logged into a different account of mine that I wasn't aware was different 🙄. Now I'm in incognito mode because I'm tired of losing data to use the forums!
  • Options
    Has anyone else ever read the book called 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth'?  My midwife loaned it to me, and as a FTM nervous about the delivery, it is so empowering.  It's also made me curious- have any STM+ had home births, or all hospital births? Which did you prefer? 
  • Options
    @readytobemama that book has some amazing tips in the second half for child birth. I got a lot of positive phrases for child birth and plan to read it again before this little guy comes. I was induced after labor stalled out with our first but the tips got me all the way to that point with her tips. 
  • Options
    Anyone experience a change in bowel movements when they switched prenatals? 
  • Options
    Anyone’s OB having them do phone in appointments now instead of in person (due to the pandemic)? On 1 hand, I’m thankful to not have to be around a bunch of sick folks, but on the other hand, how much can really be done over the phone?
  • Options
    @tuesdayw1992 yes I noticed that, I think it only changes if the two prenatals have different levels of iron, fiber etc... Things that affect bowel movements!

Has anyone else noticed an increase in ear wax?  Random, but I've noticed an increase of pretty much every bodily fluid, I guess it's the body's way of preventing infection? 
  • Options
    @readytobemama yep, and the inside of my ears get so itchy sometimes! Definitely think it’s to help with infection. 
  • Options
    @readytobemama I read that book last time around and like @ktholysz I found it helpful and empowering, even during labor itself (however, don't let it make you feel guilty if you do ask for an Epidural). I opted for a hospital birth because I was high risk.
  • Options
    @readytobemama yep, and the inside of my ears get so itchy sometimes! Definitely think it’s to help with infection. 
  • Options
    @readytobemama I cleaned out my ears the other day and it took 4 whole q tips lol. Normally it takes like 1.5
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    @starlynn91 My regular OB appt this week was canceled, they are hoping to keep my anatomy scan appt with MFM in 3 weeks and I am too.  :'(
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I have the script for my a/s but I don't even know how to go about scheduling anything these days. It all feels so weird out there. Like do I schedule routine appointments weeks out but then have to call in the middle of a crisis to do that, or do I wait to make the calls too
  • Options
    I called my doctor office to see if they were doing tele appointments since it’s just a checkup and she said “um were still scheduling normal” and I was like oh ok just asking because of the pandemic and kids aren’t allowed so just checking. She sounded like I was asking something so off the wall. 
  • Options
    My OB office is seeing only their pregnant patients. So all annuals are being rescheduled. Same with primary care offices. I have an appointment Monday and I’m going to ask if my anatomy scan can be done there instead of MFM which is at the hospital. 
  • Options
    zofran has been my best friend through the first trimester and it didn’t make me constipated. i’m so grateful for that lol. also does anyone have tips on dizziness?
  • Options
    I get dizzy sometimes anyway since a surgery back in 2010; the best advice I have to give is to just breathe and not move if possible, secure yourself so you don't fall over and wait for it to pass. Get up more carefully and don't stick yourself in a position where your legs can fall asleep because that's always a horrible trigger for mine.
  • Options
    Anyone’s OB having them do phone in appointments now instead of in person (due to the pandemic)? On 1 hand, I’m thankful to not have to be around a bunch of sick folks, but on the other hand, how much can really be done over the phone?
    my hospital has for the most part but I haven't experienced an over the phone prenatal visit yet. My husband is an ER nurse there and he's furious about them cancelling prenatal visits. So much so that he's considering jobs at other hospitals that haven't shut down outpatient visits. And FWIW, the ER is especially NOT busy these days, at least in our area. He said "people must be dealing with their chest pain at home." He's been sent home early 3x this week because they didn't have anyone in the hospital.
    Married: May 26, 2012
    Eden: February 8, 2016
    Ivy: April 3, 2018
    Baby 3.0: Due September 26, 2020
  • Options
    Bad that he's been sent home, but good for other reasons I guess 😅
    Anybody else having trouble sleeping these days? I was so tired when I went to bed at one this morning but then I tossed and turned and laid awake until like six. 
  • Options
    I am on the Lovanox injections as well, I have bruising too. I take them due to a blood disorder, This is my first time taking them. 
  • Options
    I tried the sneak peak testing at my local doctors office! I see if my results were right in a few weeks! 
  • Options
    Suffering from allergies and sinus congestion right now. Besides my Zyrtec and Tylenol, anything else that can help? I hate being clogged up and I usually take mucinex D but can’t take that while pregnant. 
  • Options
    Benadryl I think will knock that stuff right out, and it's on my list of approved medications. 
  • Options
  • Options
    @raesky1111 have you tried taking unisom? 
  • Options
    I have some regular sleep aid that I try not to rely on too much because the more you use it the less effective it gets, but alas my Unisom is held captive about an hour and a half away in my sister's car because I left it in there on accident one day and I haven't seen her in a month since she's had the flu  :s
  • Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for a nice baby monitor with sound/video?  Doesn't need to be anything fancy but having trouble finding one I like.
  • Options
    The Infant Optics DXR-8 is the one I'm going to get, it's certainly got a price tag but I've read that it's harder to hack than other baby monitors and it has a crap ton of good reviews on Amazon. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLSL1K/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_K2xEEb4ZN43WM
    This one also has a decent amount of good reviews, over 2k and still 4.5 stars at least and only about $50-60
  • Options
    @readytobemama we got the DropCam with our first 6 years ago and Nest with our second almost 4 years ago. We liked that we could access it from our phone or anywhere, and have our WiFi locked down (have not had any issues). We also like that once they get older we can move them to other areas of the home. We don’t pay the monthly/annual subscription for the recording, except when the baby is a newborn just so I don’t drive myself crazy when the baby is sleeping.
  • Options
    Has anyone else ever read the book called 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth'?  My midwife loaned it to me, and as a FTM nervous about the delivery, it is so empowering.  It's also made me curious- have any STM+ had home births, or all hospital births? Which did you prefer? 
    I had a homebirth with my first, cesarean with my 2nd (high risk pregnancy that ended in neonatal death at 34 weeks), and I'm planning a homebirth after cesarean this time around! I loooove the midwifery model of care, how they give you tools & education to advocate for yourself, and the intimate setting you have with a midwife. If you have any questions please reach out!
  • Options
    Is lightening crotch normal during the second trimester? 😳