September 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Don't forget that we tend to have an increased sense of smell during pregnancy, so it definitely smells worse to us.
    With that being said, I also asked DH and he said that he noticed it too. During my last pregnancy I wore panty liners through most of it so I should probably do the same this time too
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I feel like my little baby Ryan just decided to move head down. I’m sure he can still change again but it for sure made sleeping last night a pain. 

@raesky1111 I just bought some target brand wash clothes. Nothing super special
  • Loading the player...
  • @raesky1111 I don’t get special ones for baby. Just the ones we already own. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @raesky1111 I liked babies r us brand, but they’re no more, so I added a few target cloud island brand washcloths. 

@mflowers929 Good idea on the liners. I’ll need to start doing that. I usually sit down to urinate and am like whoah 😳 
  • @ktholysz How could you tell baby flipped head down? My fingers are crossed for a head down baby this time! Last one was breech. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @Louise_Belcher I know for sure he moved because in the middle of the night I woke and slept terrible. Now I feel like what is is back up the middle of my belly. I’m not for sure he is head down but I’m going to try belly mapping in a few weeks just to get an idea. 

https://www.momjunction.com/trending/how-to-know-your-babys-position-through-belly-mapping_00406233/?amp=1

• This afternoon I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and took a pretty good tumble. I stutter stepped to try to prevent it, which caused me to land first on my shoulder, then on my elbow - which I had tucked into my sides when trying not to fall. I ended up elbowing myself into my rib (10th rib, slightly below the bra line) and cracking the rib. I called my OB's office and they weren't very concerned - I didn't hit my abdomen at all and no pain or pressure there. I'm 21.5 weeks along (Sept. 9). They said my baby is still tucked in lower and should be fine. Our ERs here all have Covid, so I went to urgent care at my OB's recommendation. They did the fetal heart beat with a monitor they'd never even used before so they weren't sure they were using it right, but the heart beat was most certainly there and in an ok range. They didn't have any ultrasound there. I reported this all back to my OB's office and they still weren't concerned. But still, it's my first pregnancy and I can't help but worry. We have an ultrasound appt at a "first look" place for an extra ultrasound because my husband couldn't go to mine in the OB's office. We tried to get in earlier given the fall, but there's no availability. My OB's office is closed Mondays and Tuesdays due to Covid (I'm in NY) so I can't get in there any sooner anyway.

So, is anyone able to reassure me about mid-level range falls in the 20ish week range?
  • @runsyr313 that's kind of odd that they didn't make you come in. I was pregnant in the 20 week range with DS when there was still a lot of ice on the ground and fell a few times. Starting after 20 weeks they wanted me to come in any time I fell for a NST, since any sort of fall can lead to shearing of the placenta.
    That being said, obviously DS was fine even with multiple falls. I'm also a klutz so that didn't help me at all.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Thanks! I think it's because they're not open today? and because of virus concerns - the facility they're in, as well as their practice, are both very virus cautious. I also did not fall at all on my abdomen. The rib was above, and my first impact was my shoulder. I'm still as worried as can be just due to the "jostling" that occurred in trying to prevent the fall and going shoulder first as a result. But I called them twice about it and the Family Nurse Practitioner at the urgent care didn't seem worried. The OB's office actually said just go to an orthopedic walk in, but I wanted to at least go somewhere who may be able to do more with checking out the baby too and she agreed the urgent care was ok to go to. But of course, still crazy stressed.
  • @runsyr313 I suppose it could be different because I do everything through the hospital, so they had me go up to L&D to do the NST (it was a Saturday). I literally just had my legs come out from under me and fell on my butt and they made me come in. I'm glad you were at least able to get someone to check on baby
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I fell during both of my previous pregnancies. And the most they had me do was go to triage for a NST. After having an external version to flip my second head down it is clear that babies can handle a lot of jostling in there.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @runsyr313 I didn’t fall, but I was in an accident with my first pregnancy coincidentally on my way to an appointment. All was well with baby! Hope everything is ok today, I have such a fear of falling and was terrified with my Winter baby! 
  • megsmcpmegsmcp member
    For anyone who has had a repeat anatomy scan (because some images weren't clear) - did they just scan the areas they needed, or redo the whole scan?
  • @megsmcp my sister who is due in July had a repeat scan because they didn’t get all the heart images. They mostly looked at the heart but did look at a few other spots real quick. Gave her another profile picture and told her again she was having a girl lol
  • @megsmcp, yeah like @ktholysz I remember my repeat AS being quicker than the first. Probably depends on how cooperative baby is 😂 and how many measurements they need to get. 
  • @megsmcp With DS I went back twice to get measurements of his heart. They focused mostly on his heart but also quickly checked on his head and long bones to make sure everything was still progressing.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • megsmcpmegsmcp member
    Thanks @mflowers929 @jennifer_louise @ktholysz! Wanted to prepare myself for how long I'd have to hold my uncomfortable bladder for 😂
  • @megsmcp With one of mine our repeat to get better images was much quicker.
  • @megsmcp did you have to have a full bladder? I was surprised when mine told me I could go right before she started because I filled it up thinking I had to 
  • What lotions/creams/oils/etc are you using for your bump? I always  told myself I’d be using something from the start and halfway in I haven’t picked anything up yet. I know stretch marks are genetic but I figure the itching is going to start eventually? 
  • @greyl I got 100% shea butter to use on my belly and I also read it’s safe for your nipples. My belly and nipples have already been itchy at times.  It feels nice but the only complaint I have is it’s so solid in the container it’s not easy to get a good lather haha 
  • @greyl I’m having the hardest time finding a lotion that will work well. I have so much dry itchy skin it’s terrible. I just ordered palmers coco butter. Right now I’m using an old bottle of coco butter lotion I don’t remember the brand. 
  • @ktholysz Oh I’m sorry your skin is being a pain!! I used palmers cocoa butter for my first tattoos and it worked nicely (especially with the itchiness) but the smell of that lotion was always too much for me. I’m very sensitive to fragrances (the way they smell) so I might have to find one with a little scent or something I find pleasant. I’m difficult of course lol 
  • @greyl the smell was why I was trying other lotions first too lol. I’m caving now it just seems to work the best for me. I’ll just have to deal with the smell lol
  • @ktholysz oh gotcha!! Yeah it’s weird it’s not like it’s a bad smell...I just didn’t enjoy it especially when it was all over my arm? lol idk! 
  • I really like O’Keefe’s Skin Repair for any dry and itchy skin. I don’t know about using it for nipples though. I use Motherlove Nipple Cream and it works really well. 
    I also love the Aveeno baby eczema balm!
  • I'm just glad that I still had some of my Jack Newman's nipple cream leftover so I could slather it on my poor aching nipple the other day. It seriously is a lifesaver!
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I've just been using sweet almond oil, and only the past week or so as it really feels like I'm starting to "pop" ... it feels really nice!
  • I've been using Vaseline cocoa radiant intensive care cream.  It smells good compared to others I've tried, which is a relief since I've been basically taking a bath in it since I'm getting stretch marks everywhere it seems. 
  • I’ve been using cetaphil moisturizing creme and I love it! It’s not oily or greasy and leaves my belly skin really moisturized. 

I do need to find something for my nipples; they’re so dry and itchy! I’ll try some nipple creams mentioned above! 
  • I use burts bees mama bee belly butter and really like it. I like that it doesn’t have a strong fragrance 
  • I’m not sure if there’s a product spotlight for this but what nursing pillow do you ladies prefer? I’m trying to decide between a boppy or brest friend 
  • @momofmiracles31889 I had both with my DS i really likes the breastfriend for when he was tiny. And then I moved to the boppy pillow. I used the boppy for much longer than the breastfriend 
  • @momofmiracles31889 I only used the boppy and I liked it. I actually had a couple. I definitely think having one was helpful.
  • @momofmiracles31889 I was looking at the breastfriend one and then just decided to put a regular boppy on my registry. That way I can also use it for him. 

I think i'm going to pick up some of the Burts Bees belly butter tomorrow at target. I saw someone on IG asking about recommendations and that was the top recommended so I might try it! I like that @balletnerd said there isn't a strong fragrance.
    https://www.target.com/p/burt-39-s-bees-mama-bee-belly-butter-6-5oz/-/A-14794119
  • balletnerdballetnerd member
    edited May 2020
    @momofmiracles31889 I have both. 
    I started with just the boppy in the beginning and my back was killing me. My LC said that I was hunching too much because of my long torso and her being so tiny. So she gave me the tip that saved my back- I put the breastfriend on first and buckled it, then layered the boppy on top which brought her to the correct height so I didn’t have to hunch and could relax.  Now that she’s much bigger I just prop the boppy up on the rocking chair Arm when she does Nurse still. 

The boppy is more multifunctional. But I certainly plan on using both again. 

ETA: If you plan on traveling a lot the boppy is MUCH easier to travel with. Makes it easy to nurse on the plane and provide a napping spot. The breastfriend just doesn’t cram into suitcases etc as well. 
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies! I think I’ll put a breastfriend and boppy on my registry bc why not! Haha 
  • @momofmiracles31889 my friend has a boppy and just bought my breast friend and said the breast friend is much nicer for nursing and she wishes she started with that. I would buy both! They can both be used for different things! 
  • Anyone been having abdominal muscle pain? I feel like I already f*cked up my abs and will end up with diastasis recti. My left ab is pulled and it hurts pretty bad when I bend over and is sore while I’m working. It’s really hard to not bend over and pick stuff up at work though. But it’s getting worse so I guess I really have to stop. I just don’t want them to be permanently damaged. Idk what I did to make it so bad, I haven’t been lifting anything that heavy 😢
  • @greyl i picked up a bag of grass seed the other day and was really sore after, but it did go away. Sorry you’re having pain!