September 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Got questions? Ask em here! No question is too small or too stupid. 

Quick disclaimer: we are internet strangers, not medical professionals (at least most of us), so some questions should also be for  your doctor. 

Re: The Great Question Thread

• I'll get us started: has anybody gotten any guidance on holding LOs while pregnant? DD is over 30 lbs, not sure how safe it is to be lifting her. 
  • @jennifer_louise I do not recall them saying anything about lifting during my last pregnancy. DS1 was almost 2 and 35lbs. Maybe they treat it like other physical activity, if you were doing it consistently prior to pregnancy you can continue, but shouldn't start something intense during?? I currently have kids that are 38 and 45lbs that both require being lifted at times especially into the car, so unless they tell me I must stop (which would mean not being able to leave the house) I will have to continue.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Louise_Belcher Thanks for that! I don't know how to exist without lifting her either (Carseat, toilet, onto chairs). I mean she's a tiny human being trying to make it in a large human being's world. ☺ 
  • robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited January 2020
    What do you ladies think about asking for this thread to be pinned at the top? 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• @robyn2201 that's a good idea, it may cut down on drive-bys and one-offs. How do we do that? Invoke the Bump gods? 
  • @BumpAdmin sticky please

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Does anyone else have issues with the app freezing and not loading?
  • @annieco13 Yes!! The app is sucking. To open a tread I have to click it and then click refresh. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Is anyone else here on lovenox? I feel like my bruises are insane! I have to alternate between my belly and my thighs because they get too bruised up after a while 😣
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @mflowers929 I’m not during pregnancy but I am postpartum for 6 weeks and I struggle with the bruising. No fun!
  • Anyone feel like it’s really hard to digest food? I am 6 weeks, is this normal? 😂 
  • @wearethebradshaws YES. I haven't had a normal shit since week 4 😏
  • @wearethebradshaws yeah, your digestion slows down to allow more time for nutrient absorption. I'm never constipated ever when I'm not pregnant, so I definitely notice how slow it is
  • @wearethebradshaws yeah, digestion issues are pretty common during pregnancy. Between the slowed digestion, and squished stomach and intestines it's rough. Prenatal vitamins tend to cause constipation too due to the iron. With my first pregnancy the constipation got really bad during my 2nd trimester, but colace and staying hydrated really helped. You'll find as your pregnancy progresses it will be more and more difficult to eat large meals as your stomach shrinks from the baby. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So disappointed in the app issues! I can’t ever get into any threads!!! 
  • @robinj716 @annieco13 when the app is glitchy, I have good luck just opening up the Bump forums on my browser on my phone. I haven't had many difficulties when I do that. 
  • @jennifer_louise sorry if I reported your comment! My app glitched! But anyways what I was gonna say is that things like this have me considering getting a Note for my next phone! 
  • @pghren @jennifer_louise @robinj716
    It works better on my phone browser than the app, but still not great. Has anyone had any luck deleting and redownloading the app?

• @notagoodpatient I tried and it didn’t help. 😕
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @notagoodpatient I’ve also tried deleting the app a couple times, no improvement.  :(
  • @pghren not sure if you accidentally reported me or not, I don't think anything happened! And if you did, I would wear it as a badge of honor 😂
  • I have been having issues with the app and also on my computer. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I will ask my doctor, but curious if anyone uses shakeology or Arbonne protein powder? Both reps say its ok during pregnancy, but some online reviews said no, so just curious if anyone here has used it during previous pregnancies? 
  • @robinj716 I know nothing about either of those, but I do know a thing or two about sales reps (I have been one), and I would not go on their assurances.  
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • @robinj716 I think the issue with Shakeology and Arbonne is that they have vitamin supplements mixed with the protein. This is not a bad thing for a non-pregnant person, but you are already taking a prenatal vitamin. It would be like double or triple dosing on vitamins which could be harmful because you can OD on vitamins. Like you said, I would speak to your doctor and maybe they could recommend a protein powder that doesn't have extra vitamins added that you could use. With my 1st pregnancy I just made shakes with frozen fruit, pasteurized green juice, and greek yogurt to get protein. If you're vegan maybe you could use a non-dairy yogurt to make shakes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @macheno that’s a great idea! I want a way to get in nutrients so a shake with fruit and veggies and yogurt sounds great!
  • I'd love to hear everyone's stance on a eating steak slightly pink during pregnancy. I'm 8 weeks and already extremely anemic. I need to get more iron but I don't think I could stomach a well done steak 🤢🤮
  • I've having to work very hard this week to hide this pregnancy from work. I'm 5 weeks along.I like my daughter to be the first person we tell. I have 3 work-related social functions this week that I couldn't get out of where I'd be expected to drink.  I used the antibiotic excuse and everyone actually bought it!

But I just realized this morning that I had pre-ordered a Cobb salad for a team lunch meeting. It has blue cheese and blue cheese dressing. I'm assuming the dressing will come on the side, so I just won't use that. Do you think it would be ok to try to eat around the blue cheese crumbles?

Anyone else struggling with keeping your pregnancy a secret?
  • @even_the_queen I was having a hard time not telling work the past few weeks because of feeling so sick, but this week has been easier. I hope to make it a few more weeks before I need to let them know. It is getting harder to hide from the family that doesn't know yet. I can only avoid them for so long.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @emohay1988 I think it should be fine as long as it's heated to where the bugs would be killed off

@even_the_queen I've actually told 2 coworkers already - one who has had similar struggles with pregnancy loss, and one who was helping me while I was having a panic attack at work last week. Definitely difficult not to spill the beans to everyone else since we're a pretty tight knit group, but I want to get through my 2nd ultrasound and tell my boss first 🤞
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @even_the_queen Yes, I’m having an exceptionally tough time. I haven’t felt well at all and have had migraines that are basically knocking me out. My family would be helpful but I can’t keep telling them I don’t feel well or they’ll be onto me, so instead I push through and just try to keep momming on my own while DH is at work. Tough getting through sports pick up, drop offs, games, performances, school drop off/pick up, dinner (yuck), packing lunches (even more yuck), and a teething cranky toddler! I told my H today that I pray I start feeling better soon, I just feel so behind. 
  • @emohay1988 I’ve been pretty bad about the food rules. I’ve upped my normal rare to medium, but won’t go more. I have stopped having hamburgers pink though since ground meat is more likely to harbor bacteria. I also accidentally ate some prosciutto because I didn’t realize it counted as deli meat 🤦‍♀️
  • @even_the_queen I wouldn't worry too much about the blue cheese. Unless it's not pasteurized you should be fine. Also, if you're worried people will know you're pregnant if you don't eat it, just say you don't like blue cheese. I doubt people will know.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @robyn2201 I swear I only ate deli meat sandwiches for an entire month when I was pregnant with DS lol. It was the only food I wanted to eat
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @mflowers929 I have always really enjoyed deli sandwiches while pregnant as well. For some reason it one of the few foods that doesn’t sound awful in the 1st trimester.

• +1 for still eating lunch meat. I had subway twice this week. 

Is anyone gong to try the mail-in Sneak Peek blood test to find out sex?
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @robyn2201 I craved Italian subs hard with my last pregnancy. I also ate ham and swiss baguette sandwiches almost daily at the end. 
    BabyFruit Ticker