September 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• edited February 2020
    @chasingroygbiv honestly that’s why I don’t really mind the one-offs right now because it’s something to do haha! We need more people to start threads too like GTKYs and weekly chats like tw Tuesday & wtf Wednesday for example. I don’t want anyone to think they can’t post them! We have 60 or something people on our spreadsheet I think I counted under half that I actually recognize so far. 

@mflowers929 YES especially with my dogs and H lol
  • I was at work the other day, we have 3 different sections. I was working in one section and I was getting annoyed with the residents in the section all the way across the home even though I wasn't working directly with them lol
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • @chasingroygbiv @Louise_Belcher @greyl I had just assumed our board was sleepy because it's still kind of early and for some (at least me) hard to get too excited. But then I lurked on October and they seem to have lots more going on already... 
  • @Louise_Belcher I don’t know, but I’m sad about it. My previous BMB were almost so busy it was hard to keep up at times! It was wonderful though during the times I couldn’t sleep or after I had baby and was nursing all night! Felt a lot less lonely. 

@mflowers929 Yes! But many would say I have a short fuse anyway.  :D
  • @chasingroygbiv Same! The randoms thread would quickly get out of control on my last bmb. Maybe we are just having a slow start and we will get there. *fingers crossed* My previous group is still going strong daily  3.5yrs later but now on Facebook. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mflowers929 YES. Everything and everyone annoys the shit out of me the past few weeks. I'm on a rampage 🙈
  • I feel like TB was really late to get this board open and that’s one of the reasons it’s so slow. My other BMB’s were crazy busy by this point. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I've never been on a busy board lol
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @robyn2201 Yes, I’m sure a lot of people gave up waiting for it to show up and then just kind of forgot or now feel like it’s too late to join..

So lurkers, if you’re reading, come in, we are lonely.  :D If nothing else come time to switch to FB we will all know one another quite well! 

My other boards are also still going strong on Facebook! Seems TB really dropped off by the time all of the babies were a month old. 
  • I just wish time would hurry up a bit. I want to know if this little person is a boy or a girl!!
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I've been sleeping too much to post much 😴 maybe everyone else is too ha.... Hopefully the group will come alive more 2nd trimester, sure is comforting to have you all on here! 
  • edited February 2020
    @chasingroygbiv I was thinking that too, a lot of people might be lurking right now and once they have their next ultrasounds/get bumps/know the sex/feel baby move then they’ll become more active. But if not then this small group will know each other super well! Also a lot of people seem to complain about the app.  It will be interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork when we try to transition 😂

I live a pretty sad and boring life so it’s been nice to talk to y’all! I don’t really have many others to talk to irl. 
  • @clammycolt that’s so awesome! Congrats on your boy! 🤍
  • @mflowers929 YES! The littlest thing will set me off, but I have to keep telling myself that I've been on a rollercoaster of hormones for the last 2 years. Between being pregnant in 2018, PP in 2019, breastfeeding, TW CP TW, weaning, and pregnant again, it's been a lot!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven’t really told my family yet so it’s great to know there is a community I can talk too! 
  • How should I tell my parents? How should I tell the father? Who should I tell first? Should I tell parents/father that it's twins? Tips on what to say, or how to phrase things?

Little bit of background: I am a 23yo. full time college student living in Texas w/a part time job w/benefits. I am single and have never been married. My parents and the father live in California. Parents are upper middle class. Mom is a pro-life Catholic. My dad is agnostic, not super religious. The father also lives in California (same city) and is a guy I dated 4 years ago and recently reconnected with. He's a great guy with a stable job ; a "good Southern boy." At the time of conception, I had been on my new birth control pills for 3 solid months. I have not decided on adoption or keeping them, but I HAVE decided that abortion is NOT an option for me (just to be very clear!). Obviously I want to keep them, but I don't want to raise them in poverty and nor do I want my parents to use their retirement funds. Also want their and the father's input. *please don't criticize me based on my marital status, I am sensitive* Please keep in mind I will likely move back home closer to September as my parents have been wanting me to (I go to school online and work for a nation wide business so those aren't issues) and I will need help after giving birth regardless of if I keep them or not. Any advice and/or support is appreciated ♡♡♡
  • @shredgnarr Tell whomever you feel the most comfortable with first and definitely include that it is twins both times. In person may be helpful if you will be there soon otherwise just tell them as soon as you feel comfortable but likely the sooner the better. Depending how things go you may want to move earlier in the pregnancy.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @shredgnarr I'd definitely just rip the bandaid and let them know everything as soon as you can. Personally I'd probably tell the father first so I could ask for support to let my parents know, but you know your situation best.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @shredgnarr I think I would start by telling the father and tell him it’s twins right away. He may say right off the bat that he would like to support you and keep them— and then you have that to take with you to tell your parents. If not, you’ll obviously have a different conversation and you could decide with the father how to approach the conversation with both of your families as I would think he would want to tell his family one way or the other, too. Please keep in mind also, there is likely help out there should you choose to keep the babies and feel you are struggling financially. 

Good luck. 
  • I know it's super early still, but is anyone else thinking about baby shower/sprinkle/diaper party? I have a whole Pinterest board with ideas and "moods" 😂
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  •  @mflowers929 I haven't even thought about it but someone at my work said that I deserved to have one.  with my DD my family had one when I went back to visit but my local one was supposed to happen in October and she was due in November.  Instead she came on the day of my baby shower.  So maybe I will get to have one this time :)  
  • @mflowers929 I’ve thought about how low of a chance there is that I’ll get one. It kind of depends on a ton of things. I’m in a different state than both of our families. So that would require me to travel twice to get a shower from both sides. I doubt anyone here would throw me one. Maybe at work? But mostly everyone is younger than me/wouldn’t be into that. So I really am just not getting my hopes up! 
  • @mflowers929 No shower or event for me. And that is great IMO because I do not handle events all about me well. This is my third child and regionally the standard here is you only get one for your first unless there is a big gap or different partner. We had a HUGE shower with the ladies (100+ people) and a separate large diaper party with the guys for my first and we basically didn’t buy anything except formula the entire first year. It was amazing! If this one is a girl those close to me will likely buy some outfits. I have tossed the idea around of having a small gender reveal so I have an excuse to have my family over and celebrate. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • I will likely have one and honestly, the idea overwhelms me every time. This is baby 4 and quite possibly girl 3. But my family does not take “no” for an answer because they believe they are celebrating the baby. Last time I insisted in a sprinkle only if we must do one. They were extra excited as she was our rainbow baby, so.. I do get that and I am grateful for their thoughtfulness. 

If they want to do something this go around I will just ask to get together for a meal and if people really insist on bringing something then diapers/wipes is plenty! We do not need ANY girl clothes, toys, or books, oh my goodness! If by some wild chance it was a boy we don’t have much in regards to clothes because we thought we were done after baby 2 so I sold all of DS things. Dumb idea. Don’t be like me, wait until you’re 100% sure!  :#

Anyway, I hate to seem ungrateful to my family and I know it made them sad in the past when I said I’d rather not, so I think I’ll just bite my tongue this go around and just say I prefer no real “gifts” at least. A cousin had 9 kids and had a full blown shower for each one. I just can’t do that as kind as I think it is. 
  • I would love a shower! I have a boy now with most big things so I’ll ask for essentials like diapers, wipes, creams, etc. My son is 4 so I feel like having another shower is okay! 
  • @shredgnarr a lot of people aren’t married and are having children now days, myself included, if you’re fine with it then it shouldn’t matter to anyone else! 

I would look into a pregnancy center in your area. For example, where I live we have one called a door of Hope pregnancy center and they offer resources to moms who are pregnant and are unsure if they want to look into adoption or keep their baby. You may find a lot of support in one of those that can tell you all about adoption and your options.

Because twins are usually higher risk, I would definitely tell the baby dad and your parents. You will need their help and support! 
  • Re: showers
    I really want one but I live across the country from both my and DH’s family, and I highly doubt my coworkers could pull off a shower (I’m the one at the office who has done it in the past and they’ve been very small events with very little participation)
  • I had a shower for DS but it wasn't well attended. My MIL had one for me but I couldn't attend because it was up north and I was already super sick and close to when they had to deliver him.
    I'm planning on throwing it myself (with my friends help) and it'll be a co-ed garden party in my bffs backyard.
    If I have a girl I'll be asking for girl clothes, but mostly it's to get diapers and celebrate baby 😊
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I didn't have a shower with DS and I most likely won't have one with this baby. DH and I just moved in December to a new city, and don't really have any friends, yet. Also, are immediate families are all scattered- Houston, Atlanta, Des Moines, Greensboro. So, they would have to fly/drive to come see us. We'll definitely register, but no shower. I'm a little sad about it, but it is what it is. I'm kind of used to not having big to dos for things in my life- some because I haven't wanted them, and some because people don't want to do it. Woah, that got a little gloomy there, sorry!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @macheno it's okay to be gloomy about it! Maybe somebody will step up and offer to host one! I'm a little salty because my mom hosted a nice shower for my SIL last year after never offering to do the same for me. I mean, I had a shower at work, which was nice, but it would have been nice to have her plan one for me. I mean, I did bear her first grandkid!
    (okay, I'm coming off as bitter and unappreciative too lol) 
  • @macheno we should plan a pittsburgh celebration of Sep 2020 babies! As long as there's food
  • Also, just coming here with a TMI.

I finally went to the bathroom like a normal human being after THREE WEEKS and you guys, I feel like a new woman. And baby is probably appreciating more room in there.  :D Okay, back to your regular programming. 

Edit: dang it. Thought this was weekly randoms, so now this is even more weird.  :# Turning it into a question.. anyone else’s doctor OK Miralax? I don’t like the idea of it, but honestly, nothing else was doing anything and she said I was going to end up in more trouble if I didn’t figure out a way to get things moving. 
    Hi I’ve kind of just been a lurker so far but I did post on introductions. I was active on TTGP before my first child and before the mass exodus! I just wanted to say that I have had this issue as well and my doctor said to take colace daily. I am on progesterone for low levels and apparently that can cause constipation. Not fun!
  • @mammamiasopapilla Hi! Yes, progesterone will definitely add to the issue, it did me! I was taking colace daily, then they told me to try Metamucil, then Senokot.. all with no luck! I’m not entirely surprised as I’ve battled constipation my entire life so it just spirals even more out of control during my pregnancies.  :( Sorry you deal with it, too! 
  • @pghren Sounds good to me! I think there is another Pittsburgh mom on here, as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker