June 2020 Moms
Options

Baby Names!

Re: Baby Names!

• Options
    DH and I like unique but not weird names. Names that sound normal but you probably don’t know tons of people with it ha. DD is Mallory Cecile with my last name as her second middle name (I didn’t change my last name).

If it’s a girl we like Ada or Stella.

Boy would be Lowell 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @pourmeanothermocktail really? That's awesome. A friend in Florida has a two year old with that name. I just think it's pretty and unique without being hard to spell or pronounce. I like old lady and old man names lol

My husband's entire family has called me Constance for our entire relationship (10 years plus, stories of the origin are still conflicting to this day, it's not even close to my real name. Some of the younger cousins even call me aunt Constance or AC). I thought about naming our daughter that and confusing everyone but decided against it lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pourmeanothermocktail We like different, as in not popular names. Ds is Leif, we both have grandparents that were born in Norway so we wanted to pay homage to that. But he gets called Leaf by a lot of people.  With Sloane we liked that it's not super popular. 

My name is Afton. I love my name and have never met another Afton in person. Although I've been told by a few people that I'm not the only Afton they know. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love the name Cordelia but also the nicknames Cora and Delia are maybe more popular if someone isn’t comfortable with old school. 

We’re going to have a Lucy and we have a Rose though so maybe I’m biased to the old school names. 

@h@hayhay2501 I love your DDs name! My favorite babysitter growing up was a Mallory :)

@e@ErikandAfton I’m not sure why Lief has so many misconceptions around “Leaf”. It’s a super popular name in other countries and most people study Lief Erickson but I guess now that you mention it I’ve never met a Lief in person to tell me exactly how they’d prefer it pronounced...

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20
  • Options
    +1 for liking “old lady” names: Josephine, Lucille, Eloise. I also was pushing hard for the name Adelaide, especially since there are so many options for cute nicknames, but mh cooled on the name while it took us a while to conceive. He pushed hard for Elizabeth, but I didn’t love all the nicknames associated, so I passed on that, at least as a first name. We ended up with a name that includes mh’s 2 grandmothers’ names. The first is a derivation of his grandmother’s first name and the middle is his other grandmother’s middle name. Once I looked up what the names meant, it seemed perfect, but I just don’t want to reveal until we deliver! If we had had a boy, the name would have been Henry Lawrence. I know Henry has increased in popularity, but I still like it.
  • Options
    @alli392 Ihave an uncle lief and he says it like leaf. 
  • Options
    kyrwynkyrwyn member
    edited January 2020
    @ErikandAfton There's a Leif in my son's daycare class! His family pronounces his name more like "Layf" than "Leaf".  But Leif = Leaf is very common thing to hear here. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have only ever heard Leif as leaf. 
  • Options
    We are naming our daughter Eleanor Martha (Martha was his grandmother’s name) I also loved Evelyn, Beatrice, Harriet, and Violet. I’m a fan of the old grandma names lol. We could barely decide on a boy’s name but I have always loved the name Henry since I was in the 8th grade lol
  • Options
    @kyrwyn that's exactly how we pronounce it too "Layf". 
  • Options
    @chaos-and-coffee There are definently a few ways to say it. I was at a walk for infertility and met a woman from Denmark whose son was also Leif and they pronounce it Life heavy on the f. Normally women who were teenagers in the 60s 70s say "Oh like Leif Garrett!" the actor. 
  • Options
    @sheshe3386 I LOVE Evelyn. A friend just named her daughter that. Love love love it 
  • Options
    I have 3 close friends with an Evelyn. It's a lovely name, but has gotten SO popular.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Evelyn was on our short list the first time around and then several other people we knew/at daycare named their baby girl Evelyn too! It’s such a cute name and is definitely becoming popular. I love the nickname Evie so much. 
  • Options
    Yeah Evelyn has gotten popular in my area too. It is such a lovely name, though.
  • Options
    Evelyn was on our girl list. It was my grandmas name. It's gotten so popular though. 
  • Options
    It’s crazy to think how names surge and decline in popularity. There were so many Emily, Jessica’s, Katie’s, and Brittanys in my class. But I’ve only taught a handful of them as a teacher! 

That being said, I’ve always wanted a Theodore if I had a boy but don’t want a top ten name and that makes me sad 😭 but baby 2 is a girl as well so oh wel!

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20
  • Options
    @SpartanCat My friend has a Cordelia and is nicknamed Coco. It's the cutest nickname!
  • Options
    Boy #3 here. If it would have been a girl we were naming her Charlotte. My oldest son wanted a girl to be named Charley so we went with Charlotte. 

Oh well. Boy #3 and I'm done🤣

#1 Alexander Benjamin (Alex for short named at 2 days old bc I was forced🤣. Benjamin after hubby)
    #2 Briggs Hall (named @1 day old, Hall was my maiden name)
    #3 ??? totally stumped. Guess he will get a name when born🤷🏻‍♀️

• Options
    So now we know it's a girl dh isn't so set on our previously agreed middle name... Any ideas for Mae? I want Mae Bell and can't find anything I like as much that dh likes too. 
  • Options
    @runwmusic are you wanting to keep the middle name one syllable? Only other short name I can think of that rolls of the tongue in a similar way is Mae Lee/Leigh.
  • Options
    @lynkat I'm really open to anything. My sister suggested Mae Ella which I love! 
  • Options
    @runwmusic oh that is cute!! 😍
  • Options
    For a girl we are set on Beatrix and boys are far more difficult for us but we don't immediately hate Gabriel.
    married 9/2010
    DS1 11/2010 (angel)
    DS2 5/2012
    DS3 4/2015
    New baby 6/2020
  • Options
    Now that we know we’re having a boy, we’re leaning towards Oliver Henry. Oliver is one of the few boy names we both like. 

Other boy names we’ve considered are Theo, Liam, and Henry (it was my grandfather’s name and I‘ve always loved it as a first name but my brother just named his kid that in October). 
    Our favorite girl names were Sophie, Lydia, and Maggie. 
  • Options
    @booksbooksbooks our girl name is Lydia ☺️
  • Options
    @lynkat it’s so pretty. The only problem with it is that it goes too well with so many middle names, lol
  • Options
    @_booksbooksbooks_ We're expecting a boy and Oliver is also my #1 choice! It's so classy and baby Olli for short is just so cute. I need to get DH on board. He's from India and would like something that reflects his cultural background, though still very pronounceable. I don't have a preference for a middle name. I don't actually have a middle name myself and never missed it. :D

If I had a girl, my #1 choice since childhood was Anastasia/Anya/Anna. Guess I'll have to let that one go this time around!
  • Options
    We’re having daughter #3 and have decided on either Eva Marigold or Eva Josephine.
  • Options
    My doc waits until 20 week appointment for gender, so that appointment is for Feb 3rd. I'm impatient and hate waiting!! So many of my friends found out between 9 and 16 weeks but not me! Grrrr

Anywho, since we don't know yet, we went ahead and picked a boy name and a girl name and will be announcing baby's gender by announcing their name as well.

Girl - Charlotte Rayne
    Boy - Logan Wade

I LOVE Charlotte and nickname Charlie for a girl, really any "boyish" name or nickname for a girl is adorable. DH loves Logan Wade because it's 2 of his favorite comic book heroes, Wolverine and Deadpool. Luckily I'm a nerd too so I like the boys name too. 
  • Options
    Since were confirmed team boy now we started talking seriously about names and we are so stuck. Between my enormous family, of which I remain the only girl in 2 generations, DH’s five brothers and our 6 nephews, all the names we like have been used! 

I want something short, tend to go classic/traditional. Our short list is Drew, Blake, Beau, or Cole for a first name and Benjamin, Michael or Nicholas for a middle name but I don’t *love* any of those. I also have a friend with a Kole who we see just often enough that I don’t think I can use that. DS’s name starts with M so I don’t really want another M name either. 

Impossible. 
  • Options
    @chaos-and-coffee When DH and I thought maybe we weren't in love with the baby boy 2 name we'd talked about forever ago, we used the Kinder app to explore new names.  

It sounds like you're leaning to short first names with longer or slightly more traditional middles. Maybe brainstorm all the short names you can think of and all the middles you like and separately, then mercilessly cut the list for anything you don't like or can't imagine yourself yelling across the playground a billion times? Whatever's left you can mix and match for more inspiration (assuming you haven't found name love yet). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @klavear I have a friend whose daughter is named Charlotte, goes by Charlie and I think it's the cutest thing! (Also, we didn't find out until week 20 either so you aren't alone! Honestly, 20 weeks is pretty normal unless you have some reason to need the NIPT genetic testing)
  • Options
    @kyrwyn good idea! Definitely like a short first name with a long classic middle name. I started a list today to see what jumps out. 
  • Options
    @chaos-and-coffee I noticed because your preference is basically ours switched. We have Alexander Elliott and are planning on Zachary Owen (Okay, so comparatively short middle names. Elliott is still a mouthful.)  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We found out we're having a girl and her name is Frances Ruth, Frannie for short. Names are our mothers' middle names and his grandmother's name.
  • Options
    Our first is Maxwell Robert and second is Jameson Louis.  We cannot agree on a third boy name so I'm convinced this baby will never be named.

I personally want the nickname Eli so I'm open to Elijah or Elliot.  Oliver is a close 2nd.  DH does not seem to be eager to have an Eli.  Middle name is definitely Jonathan.

My husband is pretty anti any name that is super biblical.  I'm not really sure why.  A name is a name, to me.  I don't really care what the origin is.  Either I like the name, or I don't.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think we're 90% decided on Rose for baby girl, nn Rosie. I haven't been totally sure about the name since we're struggling with middle names for it and since I tend to like 2-3 syllable first names. But it's DH's top pick and I had a dream this week where baby was born and her name was Rosie, so I guess it's sticking!
    BabyFruit Ticker