May 2020 Moms

Glucose Screening

I figured I may not be the only one getting an early glucose screening. Here is a place for us all to talk about it.
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Glucose Screening

• m6aguam6agua member
    edited October 2019
    So I had GD last pregnancy. I failed my 1 hour miserably and then failed the 3 hour pretty bad. I kept it diet controlled and my baby was a normal size with no issues.

Im 9.5 weeks, and because of having it last time they have me doing early screening this time. My A1C was 5.4, which is what I ended last pregnancy at. Well I just had the glucose drink and now am waiting the hour to get my blood drawn. I made sure to eat a protein rich breakfast of eggs and sausage. This time I went with the lemon lime one to avoid the food coloring. So far I’m feeling ok, which is good, because last time I did the one hour it made me feel really weird almost instantly.

I should have me results after lunch today.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Good luck @m6agua! I failed both of mine last time too but I don't know if he wants me to do mine early this time or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m doing an early one because of my family history- mom, aunt, both maternal grandparents are all diabetic. This is #3 and I didn’t have GD with my other two but was told to limit my sugar as a precaution. I’m doing the 1 hr next week
  • @sbishop426 Good luck! I also have a pretty big family history of Type 2 Diabetes.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua I had to laugh a bit when you said you ate breakfast. Before mine with DD I had had a 100-calorie pack of almonds (nothing else). The woman at the lab proceeded to lecture me about how I would fail the test and should have come in with an empty stomach. I ended up passing the 1-hour with no problems. When I told my OB that the lab tech had yelled at me, she just laughed. 
  • @jrouge12 It is so weird how things can be different depending on who you talk to. I know the 1 hour isn't a fasting test, and from what I read doing high protein can help though. For me I figured it is what I eat normally anyway so no matter what the test says, it is accurate per my usual breakfast. I'm pretty sure last time I had an empty stomach for the 1 hour and I failed horribly so I guess I just have to wait and see.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua hopefully this is a good sign for the future test! 
  • @m6agua I had GD last pregnancy as well. I had a test around 12 or 16 weeks that they had me take because I have a high BMI. I passed the early one and then failed the 28 week 1 hour and 3 hour test. 

I'm not looking forward to testing, but maybe I'll switch flavors. I went with orange and really didn't taste it when I chugged it. I remember the nurse handing me the bottle turning around and saying "You have 10 minutes to finish drinking it" and by the time she wrote down the time in her notes I had finished it and she seemed shocked. I remember feeling pretty sick after drinking the 3 hour test, but didn't notice a difference on the first 1 hour test as I was still dealing with sickness and sipping a ginger ale on the way to the appointment. It might have also been the appointment I puked all over MHs vehicle as he was trying to park. I was also told you don't have to fast for the 1 hour, but I was also advised not to have any real maple syrup near the days leading up to the test which I thought was odd, but hey it's VT they're weird. 
  • Ugh I have to do it and I just realized it’s the one hour test. I’m so upset. I have a seizure every time I get a needle in me so I’m so not happy about this. 
  • @linsbins I'm sorry. At least with the 1 hour test it is only 1 blood draw. FX for passing numbers!

@jhysmath That is odd about the maple syrup. I had 5 minutes to drink the drink and I was about to drink it all in 1, but purposely slowed down. To me the lemon-lime tasted like a really off-brand Sprite.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Omg @Linsbins how scary! Every single time? What a horrible needle reaction!
  • I always get sick from the test. I hate it. Obviously I do what’s best for baby and take it when I need to, but I always feel so crappy the rest of the day....and I’ve passed 4/6 times. (Multiple times per pregnancies, not six pregnancies).
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited January 2020
    Just bumping this thread up since many of us will doing the 1 hour glucose screening soon. Typically I think it's done between 24-28 weeks.

My office does it at the 28 week appointment. So my appointment is on Feb 18, scheduled it as early as I could, so 9 am. Since it's just the 1 hour I plan to eat my usual protein rich breakfast before. I prefer the clear drink without the dyes, I think its like a lemon lime flavor maybe. For my office they have me do my appointment, drink the glucose within 5 minutes and then I go downstairs to the lab and sit there until one hour when I get my blood drawn. Then I'm free to go.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Mine's next week on Thursday, I was told to do it at exactly 24 weeks. There's a lab at my work so I'll go to work, drink the stuff and work while I wait. My OB is having me do the 2 hour one so I'll be fasting which sucks because I'm up for 2 hours before I even go to work so I can get myself and S ready and drop him off at school so I'm going to be a little grumpy lol. 
  • I'm doing it at 28 weeks, which is the end of February. Last time I had the orange, cold. It tasted like thick flat orange soda. Not as bad as people make it out to be. I didn't have to fast or anything before with my last pregnancy, I don't know what my new doctor does. 

Keep in mind that different doctors have different instructions for eating, so don't go off of what other people here do!
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• jhysmathjhysmath member
    edited January 2020
    I did mine before Christmas and it came back at 143, I had GD last pregnancy but couldn't schedule my 3 hour until after the holidays so I went through Christmas being cautious of what I ate. When I got back I did the 3 hour at our local lab so I didn't have to drive the 1.5 hours to the hospital that I see like last time, as I always found the longer I "fasted" last pregnancy the higher my fasting BS got, that with the stress of the drive in the snow I figured my numbers would be falsely high again. So I did mine locally and stayed there for the draws instead of going home and dealing with DD screaming each time I left for the next draw. I pass the 3 hours test pretty well. Here are my numbers and what my MWs want to see for reference if you are going into a 3 hour test.
    Fasting: 90      needs to be <95
    1 Hour: 168     needs to be <180
    2 Hour: 126     needs to be <150
    3 Hour: 90       needs to be <120
    I know I will have to retest at 28 weeks but I'm happy that I have passed now because from the GD group I'm still part of, the earlier you get you diagnosis the harder it seems to be to be able to control your sugars toward to end by just diet alone. That and I can still eat ice cream without feeling the guilt :smile:
    ETA: I did the 1 hour at 17 weeks and the 3 hour at 19 weeks
  • I'm doing mine on Valentine's Day - 27 weeks. I have to do it at the hospital's lab this time, which seems odd, but that's how my insurance rolls, I guess. I'm doing the 2 hr (that's really 3 hrs). This is the first time I've done it where my doctor told me to make sure I'm super hydrated the day before. 
  • I did my 1 hour before Christmas and my 3 hour last week. Just got the call that I passed it. I'll have to do at least the 1 hour again at my 28 week appt.
  • I have mine on 2/3, so I'll be 25 weeks. It's so interesting to me to see how different the timing and what they tell you is depending on your doctor. It's the one hour and they said I could eat but to try not to have anything too carb heavy in the morning or the night before.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • I just had mine today at 24 weeks. Reminder to everyone to bring something to keep you entertained for an hour. I've been an airhead lately and forgot to bring my pregnancy books to read. 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • I already got my test results back and they're within normal range  :) I'm very mindful of my diet but I was still nervous--mostly because my husband is diabetic and I was afraid we'd both be sharing the glucometer. 
    I hope that you all have good numbers!
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • This is the test I am most dreading, last time I threw up the orange one so I had to go back again and do the lemon lime. I suggest the lemon lime if you have a choice I swear it was not as sweet lol.
  • @drkoyya Excellent news! MH is also diabetic. I don’t want to share in his misery, it’s supposed to be the other way around for pregnancy!
  • I have my 1 hour test tomorrow morning so fingers crossed! 
  • @babyfoxden10 with DS they let me drink at home and it was so convenient but this time around I have to drink it in office. I guess they don't trust people anymore  :D

@mamaj1220 I second the lemon lime flavor although I'm curious about the fruit punch option
  • @emlettuce The fruit punch tasted like very bland kool aid to me. The orange tasted like flat orange soda. The lemon lime didn’t really have any flavor to me.

I think I’m taking mine next Monday (25 weeks)  With DS1 I didnt know how it worked, so I ate lunch beforehand and failed. I took the 3 hour and passed with flying colors, but it was time consuming and I felt like crap after all those blood draws. With DS2 I fasted and passed no issue. Monday’s Appointment is at 11, so I’ll likely do eggs and water until afterwards.
  • Whelp I failed my 1 hr glucose test yesterday and now have to sit in the hospital on a saturday morning and do the 3 hr😫
  • @randic22 I'm sorry that sucks. Good luck tomorrow though!
  • Ah man, I hope today goes well @randic22 I am sorry. 
  • There is a fruit punch! I may ask for that, I am a giant kid and fruit punch is one of my favorite things in the world  :D
  • @rox7777 I ate before mine because I thought it was supposed to help prevent false positives. I had a bunch of cheese and two crackers. I also forgot I was doing mine later in the day and had half a cronut (croissant donut) for breakfast that morning. 

I'm going to be surprised if I don't get called in for a 3 hour test 😭
    Me: 30 | H: 34
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
    EDD: 5/1/20  *please stick, baby*
  • I had my 2 hour test today. I'm hoping I'll get results at my OB appt tomorrow. I definitely felt the high blood sugar but it was pretty early after drinking it so as long as my body did it's thing, I should be ok. I had GD last time though, so if I have it, It's not the end of the world
  • @mamaj1220 not sure if this is available where you are but my midwife can write a prescription that you can pick up from the pharmacy that's just the glucose and water. So it doesn't have that added flavor and colour. Maybe an option to look into? 
  • I found out my OB doesn't do my glucose screening until 28 weeks. That seems kind of late. Anyone else hearing this?
  • @allie456 it isn't late, its within the normal time frame (24-28 weeks). My office always does it at the 28 week appointment, so my screening isn't until Feb 18 (I'm due May 14).
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @allie456 that's normal. They wanted me to do mine right at 24 weeks because of prior GD but the typical range is 24-28 weeks.
  • @allie456 I'm supposed to do mine between 26-28 weeks, even with twins. So I think you're fine.
  • @allie456 I'm doing mine at 28 weeks. I had also heard that the later you do it the lower the risk of a false negative. Can anyone confirm?