May 2020 Moms

Glucose Screening

Re: Glucose Screening

• Oh no @shamrocandroll! When do you have to do the three hour?
  • I can do whenever, but will probably just go Saturday and get it out of the way
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Loading the player...
  • @shamrocandroll Ugh that sucks!! Not how anyone wants to spend Saturday morning. It seems like a lot of people are failing the 1 hour then passing the 3 hour. Fingers crossed you are in that category!
  • @shamrocandroll, sorry to hear! Good luck!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @soprano19 Yay, that's great!!

@shamrocandroll ugh I'm sorry, I hope everything goes well with the 3 hour!
  • @shamrocandroll I find the Saturday one relaxing. No one is at the lab and you can sit back with social media with out running after the kid. I hope you pass, and I hope you get to sit back and relax. 
  • LOL @shamrocandroll I scheduled my one hour for 8am and left the kids home with MH. It was empty that early so I sat with a book and propped my feet up. Stopped for breakfast and coffee on my way home. Practically felt like a vacation. Except the giant bruise on my arm today. 
  • @shamrocandroll I took Wednesday off to do the 3-hour and it was honestly relaxing not to be working or parenting!
  • I’m going up for the one hour today, I figured that since it’s a holiday a lot of people won’t be there. Also I’m already pissy about this light breakfast, breakfast is usually my biggest meal of the day (I live for eggs) because by lunch/dinner I’m in heartburn city from being all smooshed and him trying out for the Olympic gymnastics team in there. All this whining to say I’m hungry and I think making a pregnant person fast/eat light is mean. 
  • @mamaj1220
    I'm always so surprised when I see different requirements for the 1 hour test. I was told that the 1 hour has no restrictions as it's not fasting or anything like that. I've taken the 1 hour 3 times now in 2 pregnancies, the first one I passed after drinking ginger ale before it as well. 
  • @jhysmath I know it’s weird to me! I mean granted I also was told to drink grape juice instead so...also it is better than DS1 when I was told to fast for it (which I think is why I threw up all the sugar).
  • pirateduckpirateduck member
    edited February 2020
    I was told not to each a huge meal within an hour of the test, and to watch the carbs that day, as in don't be drinking juice/soda all morning etc., but otherwise eat relatively normal.
  • @mamaj1220 I would have killed for a light meal before my 3 hour test this weekend.  The fasting 3 hour test suuuuuuucks.  Especially with having to be stabbed 4 times in 3 hours.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll congrats!!!! That is always a relief after taking it. 
  • @shamrocandroll I’m glad you passed!!

I have my 1 hour tomorrow morning.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• So my MW told me I need to decide if I want to do the glucose test again at this appointment (26 weeks) or if I want to just test my blood for 2 weeks. I feel like if I'm just testing I'll eat appropriately and won't know if I actually have GD or if I'm just eating right. She did say something I can't remember but a long the lines of if I take the 1 hour and fail she'll just have me do testing because she doesn't want to make me do the 3 hour again, I figured I'd just go straight 3 hour but she said she didn't want to make me do that. 

Any thoughts on this? 
  • @jhysmath I would think testing your blood for 2 weeks would be more of a hassle than doing the 3 hour test. Maybe that's just me 🤷‍♀️
  • @jhysmath I think if you are comfortable doing the two weeks of testing it's probably more accurate since it's over such a long period of time, but only if you are good about doing the testing exactly as you are meant to.

I'd probably just do the one hour to get it over with.
  • @jhysmath Is there a reason she doesn't want you to do the three hour? Did you throw up the drink or something? I have heard of people who can't keep the drink down having to test daily for a week (or two?), but that sounds like a major PITA.
  • @jhysmath I was looking into the alternatives to the test... which testing your blood sugars is one of them. You have to test 4 times per day and track all of your meals, meaning amounts and carb counts. When I brought it up to the midwife (OB/midwife office) she seemed to lean more towards the traditional 1 or 3 hour test. I'm sure if I would have pushed it more I could have gotten them to agree. The only reason why I would prefer the finger pricks is because with my diet being more paleo/whole30-ish I just don't intake sugar like that much. With DD the orange drink really effected me. However this time around I just sucked it up and did the 1 hour...twice, but chose the lemon/lime drink.

I just got done with my glucose screening. My results should be posted today, I'm very hopeful that I passed based on the way that I feel. But I know that failing is still a possibility.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @ruby696 I haven't had a problem with it at all so it seems strange to me that she doesn't want me to take it .

@pirateduck
    I had GD last time around so I know I can do the testing as need, I did it every day 4 times a day for 11 weeks last time, even after she told me I didn't need to test every time and day because I had it under control I still felt better keeping myself in check by checking every day at each testing time. 

My biggest thing with testing is how will they know if I'm actually spiking or not if I eat the right foods which they told me I should start doing already any how, how will they know if I have GD if I'm not consuming the 100 mg of sugar and testing at 1,2, and 3 hour markers like the 3 hour test? All of my numbers when testing with DD were always good but I also made sure I ate correctly and didn't "cheat" the diet. 
  • I failed my glucose screening  :(  My number was 174, I really wasn't expecting it to be that high as I was actually feeling pretty good. Now I go back Thursday for the 3 hour fasting GTT.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua Ugh, I'm so sorry!  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @m6agua I’m sorry! :( I hope the 3 hour test goes smoothly. 
  • Ugh, I'm sorry @m6agua. So many people fail it. Although the three hour is annoying, I feel like I wouldn't pass the one hour either so I'm glad I got it out of the way. Hopefully you find the 3hr to be painless. ❤
  • @ruby696 I'm hoping it is painless. With DD it was awful the longer it went on and I felt terrible the whole day... and I got diagnosed with GD. Which my numbers showed, my fasting and 1 hour were fine and then my 2 hour shot up and 3 hour didn't come down enough. I just hate the way my practice manages GD, basically you go to the "diabetes clinic" with everyone with any kind of diabetes and you are treated like a number and not a person. If I get diagnosed and I manage my numbers with diet, I may ask for my OB to monitor rather than having to go to the clinic so often.

I felt off and uncomfortable all day yesterday and had awful sleep last night. I woke up at 2 am with a headache and took forever to get back to sleep. Then my morning was off as I had to go into work early because of the appointment. I hope all of that is the reason why my number was off and it was just a fluke. I'm going to try and get better sleep tomorrow night.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua My OB told me to make sure I drink a TON of water the day before. I generally try to get 120 ounces, so I added an extra 30 to that. Not sure if it helped, but it can't hurt.
  • @m6agua I’m sorry for the bad results! FX for a better outcome on the 3 hour.
  • @m6agua That sucks!! Hopefully the 3 hour isn’t too awful
  • @m6agua I'm sorry you failed. I hope the 3 hour goes better. Also the clinic thing sounds awful. I just had to snap a picture of my log once a week and email to the nutrition person and she would say either good job or why was it high on this day. Maybe you can see if you could just email them in? What did you have to do when you went to one of these appointments? 
  • @m6agua I'm sorry you failed the 1hr :(. I hope the 3 hour isn't too terrible and you pass!!
  • @m6agua I was off for two days after my glucose test. I ended up miserably nauseous and ended up not sleeping that night either.

I hate the GD test. I’m really not sure how it could be effective to pump someone full of sugar on top of whatever their regular diet is and see “normal” results. I ate plain toast before my test this time and drank two bottles of whatever and passed with no issue. My normal breakfast is a yogurt, granola bar and coffee. Most of us do tweak our diet for the test anyways so how is that accurate?