May 2020 Moms
Options

Glucose Screening

Re: Glucose Screening

• Options
    @m6agua I'm sort of surprised because let's say my diet contains a lot of simple carbs these days, but I guess that doesn't matter?
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    You guys have me nervous now because mine was yesterday at 8am and they advised I not drink it all on an empty stomach or it might make me feel sick.  I got up a little later than planned so I ate some eggs and sausage around 6:30 and then drank it at 7:15 before going in for the appointment.  I'm pretty sure my results would be borderline no matter what so hoping that doesn't push me over the edge and give me a false positive.  Hopefully we'll know tomorrow!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bananapanda Sorry to make you nervous, but the 1 hour is just a screen, so if it comes back elevated, it doesn't mean you have GD.  Just that you have to go through the 3 hour test.  It sucks, but it's not the end of the world.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @catem07 But if your diet does contain a lot of simple carbs it makes sense that your insulin response is good to the drink. Basically your body is already used to that level of response it needs for that amount of simple sugars/carbs. But for someone who eats more of a low carb, keto or paleo style diet their body is not really used to having to put out that kind of insulin response so it makes sense they would "fail". However many people who fail it has nothing to do with what their current diet and has more to do with the placenta and it's insulin respons to the drink along with your own pancreas' response.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    I passed the three hour with 70 fasting, 113 one hour, 84 two hour, and 68 three hour. My one hour glucose screen was 217. I don’t even know what to think, it’s not like I ate super bad before the one hour (string cheese, two eggs, and I think toast 3.5 hours prior). The difference seems kind of crazy.
  • Options
    @m6agua Thanks, that makes sense.

• Options
    @m6agua I was hoping that logic is correct and that my sugar/simple carb addiction helps in regards to this test. Lots of training ;)
  • Options
    @m6agua I agree with @lisush with the hope that your logic is correct. I also eat more simple carbs than I would like to admit these days (packzis anyone?) Just training that insulin response to be real quick...
  • Options
    Just catching up on this. When I passed the 1-hour with DD I had a handful of nuts an hour or so before hand. I did the same thing this time I barely fail/passed. I guess I'll go for the 3-hour next week. I'll have to take a half day from work in the morning (which I don't want to waste my time that goes towards maternity leave). How have others who've done the 3-hour felt afterwards? 
  • Options
    @rachelg777 I'm surprised they had you take the 3 hour with that high of a 1 hour. I was told if I got a 200 or higher on the one hour they would just mark me diabetic. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath I know the one hour is so historically inaccurate though. Clearly I guess it was in my case. But like so crazy inaccurate it kind of boggles my mind. 

@jrouge12 I felt like crap the first 1.5 hours of the test but I felt fine afterward- ate a big breakfast and went to work afterward and all was well. 
  • Options
    A friend of mine just told me she passed the 1-hour with a very low number (she didn't tell me the number) and it was some weird form of undiagnosed GD. Her daughter's blood sugar was 12 when she was born...less than 45 in a newborn is hypoglycemia. That was unnerving to hear--she's fine now but did spend time in the NICU. 

• Options
    @rachelg777 Yay for passing!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    I have my second 3hr test tomorrow morning at just under 31 weeks. My OB wanted me to retake it since I failed one of the hours during my last 3hr at 24 weeks. Seems a bit excessive and I'm cranky about it lol
  • Options
    I failed the 1hr! Womp womp. So I am spending my Saturday morning in the lab. I hope I pass the 3 hr like I did in my last pregnancy. 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @randic22 Good luck tomorrow!!! I’m taking the 1 hour in the morning 

@queenklau That stinks! I hope the 3 hour isn’t too torturous!
  • Options
    @randic22 That is really odd. Hopefully everything comes back fine!

@queenklau Sorry, I hope the 3 hour goes smoothly.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    Had the Orange Drank...now we wait. I remember starting to feel pretty terrible toward the end of the one I had to do at 10 weeks. Hoping to manifest less than 135 for the next hour...
  • Options
    afranzen85afranzen85 member
    edited February 2020
    @sunshinesea22 I also had the orange drink this morning. 🤞
  • Options
    Going for my 1 hour again this morning. Trying to decide if I want to get my cbc and lipids (fasting for 14 hours lipids are done for my health insurance program) done first get the drink then go home eat wait an hour take the drink and go back so I don't puke, or just drink it and get it over with, it's never made me puke before but I've also never fasted this long before drinking it, even the 3 hour I only fast for 8 hours. Also I know my fasting level goes higher the longer I fast from having gd last time. 
  • Options
    Asked the tech and they told me to go home and eat first. So I decided to do that. They also tried making me drink a 100g (which is for the 3 hour ) for this one and I had to correct them and they had to go look it up, this hospital doesn't have a maternity dept so they don't see the test all that often, but if I didn't know I only needed 50g it would obviously not be correct when the info was sent to my mw. 
  • Options
    So just found my results in my portal and my number came back at 86!!! No clue how it could be that low, I'm tempted to ask for them to check it again because even fasting I'm normally around 90. I ate eggs and sausage, then waited an hour, drank the juice, and then waited an hour for the blood draw? Could there be a false negative? 
  • Options
    @jhysmath Just take the win!!!! Your pancreas is working, so that’s all that matters! Also, I hope you didn’t do the lipids, my OB said you should never check lipids on a pregnant woman because they’re usually elevated and not accurate.
  • Options
    @sunshinesea22 I did have my lipids checked its an incentive with our health insurance. I was really scared when I saw the numbers, but then read up and looked for numbers and got the third trimester in within range... Now I am just in the 28th week and was closer to the top of the range. 
  • Options
    mokay19mokay19 member
    edited February 2020
    Guys... I was avoiding this thread to give myself good juju buuuuut I failed my 1 hour 😑
    I failed the one hour with my DD but I can’t remember when I did the 3 hour... is there a normal time (week wise) when the 3 hour is done?

edited to clarify 
  • Options
    @mokay19 I'm so sorry you failed the one hour. I hope you pass the three hour and don't have to worry about it anymore.

@jhysmath yay! That's great news. Just go with it :)

I got my results and passed! Also not anemic. 
  • Options
    @mokay19, I took the one hour on Wed this week and did the 3 hr today. No specific timeframe as far as I am aware. I think it’s as soon as you get the 1 hr results from you doctor, they ask you to schedule it.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @mokay19 I think with my first I went a week between testing, and when I failed at 18 weeks I went 2.5 weeks between testing because I was away for Christmas. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath Hopefully it's just an incentive and they don't use that against you for your premiums. I know MH's work also has something like that, the numbers don't change our rates, but he does get a discount just for doing the testing. 
    @mokay19 Sorry the 1 hour didn't go well. Here's hoping the 3 hour is fine! 
    @queenklau Fingers crossed you passed the 3 hour!!!
    @lisush YAY! Congrats! Now to celebrate with ice cream!
  • Options
    @sunshinesea22 yeah it's just an incentive, they can't change our premium without changing everyone in our district. We get incentives for doing "healthy things" and knowing our numbers is part of that. 
  • Options
    Did anyone's doctor not call with results if they pass the 1 hour screening?  Last pregnancy (diff OB) the lab work was through quest so I think I saw my results online and then the dr never called but mentioned at the next appointment that I barely passed.  With this new OB they have a lab in office and I asked the tech how long for results.  She said it would be 2 days since he was also doing a vitamin D check.  That was Tuesday morning last week and I still haven't heard anything.  Is it safe to assume no news is good news and everything must've been fine?  
  • Options
    @bananapanda Mine said that they would only call if I failed. Well I failed... so they called.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    @bananapanda I got mine tested today, finally, and they said they would only call if I failed, otherwise they would go over it at my next appointment in 2.5 weeks. I failed the 1 hour with both of my last pregnancies when I was much younger and not having twins and I feel HORRIBLE right now so I am expecting a call.
  • Options
    @bananapanda
    Mine never call with results which angers me, but I can go on the portal and see them online and know what I'm looking for so that might be why they don't call. 
  • Options
    Ok good to know.  I don't have a patient portal set up with this doctor so no way to check any messages and since it's through their lab I can't just hop on labcorp or quest like I did with my previous OB.  But today marks one week from the blood draw and not a peep from them so I'm going to go ahead and consider myself in the clear I guess.
  • Options
    Well to no one's surprise I failed the 1 hour with a 160, back for the 3 hour next week. Sigh.
  • Options
    Just found out I failed my 3hr and have gestational diabetes 😭