February 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @optimist13 I am AMA too but not considered high risk by my practice. My 32-week apt was last week and the midwife never mentioned them.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• I am scheduled weekly ultrasounds and weekly NST and I guess it's because I have Factor V so I'm high risk. Right now I'm 33 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone been diagnosed either as having or borderline Gestational Diabetes after passing their glucose test? I had a sandwich for lunch yesterday that sent me to Labor and Delivery with high BS 3 hours later. I didn't get diagnosed with GD by the time I left but borderline. Its rather disappointing as I passed my test weeks ago within acceptable margins. :(
  • @catwood1703 I'm sorry that happened! I "passed" but since I failed the 1 hour portion my doctors said to just be careful. They said I don't have to go to the extremes of doing finger pricks but making sure that what I eat won't process as sugar if that makes sense? 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • They are putting me on metformin and a BS monitor to be on the safe side. I was also given permission to go almost back on the keto diet as well. I think the next similar diet is the adkins one? So long as I don't go full keto they will be happy. I don't mind keto though I was on it for about 4 months before I got pregnant.

It was interesting being hooked up to the monitors in L&D though. Got to listen to her kick it several times and even had plenty of time (hours...) to get a few recordings of the HB.
  • @catwood1703 That's good to hear that there's a game plan! And also pretty neat that you got to hear baby kick and hear the heartbeat for so long! 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • @catwood1703 that is very strange that that would happen out of the blue but glad you got to hear babe and that they have a game play to monitor you. 
  • It was weird.  Last week appt was fine and this one he kept asking if i had soda before my appt then let me know i had sugar in my urine and then my blood test was high for the time period from even i last ate. Ive pretty much quit all soda so yesterday was all water.  Not even with flavor additives,  just plain water.  :/
  • Hi ladies - could use some input/reassurance. Had a NST this AM. Baby’s heart rate dropped at one point to 60-70’s very briefly (less than 2 min), then came back up and stabilized - but I failed the NST because she stayed stable and she didn’t spike her heart rate. Sent me for a biophysical and everything looked good there except she was a little slow on the movements. So - they ultimately sent me home. Doctor said if I wanted I could 
    come in for extended monitoring but that objectively she thinks I’m fine and to just do kick counts twice a day. Trying to not be crazy so for now I said I’d stick with kick counts, but in reality I’d love to be hooked up a monitor until I deliver now. They said if the heart rate dropped for less than 2 min it could mean she just rolled into the cord. Anyone have any experience with this? Would anyone else be insisting on the extended monitoring? Thanks all 
  • @optimism3 sending you a virtual hug. It's so tough when we just want to hold and care for our babies, but we can't do anything yet. Try out the kick counting as long as you can...but if you are being stressed, then that's not good for the baby either (drs always say not to worry, but holy crap, this is our baby!) Always follow your mommy gut, and if your mommy gut says to go back to L &D , then don't let them stop you or make you feel silly. 
  • @optimism3 Team NST here. I've had them 2x weekly since the beginning of December. I had that happen with my baby 2 weeks ago and was told not to worry because sometimes the machines have brief errors if the baby moves and they pick up the maternal heart rate instead of the baby. (I didn't even know that was possible). I also had a dip during my last pregnancy which was attributed to the baby grabbing the cord. In both instances the doctor wasn't concerned so I wasn't concerned. 

That being said, if you have even the tiniest inkling that you should have further monitoring, I would suggest you go for it. As @misstree5 said, you should always follow your instincts when it comes to baby. 

• @misstree5 and @lanie1000 thanks so much. The commiserating helps. @lanie1000 I was wondering if it could be because she moved - those monitors seem to have a hard time staying with the baby if they move at all. I’ll try to stay sane for now and see...
  • @optimism3 I don't blame you one bit for wanting to be hooked up all the time. It is so difficult not to worry even when the doctor says you and baby are fine. Keeping you in my prayers 
  • @optimism3 praying all stays ok. But like others said, don’t hesitate to go back if you think you need to! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited January 2020
    @optimism3 ugh, the last part of pregnancy is so nerve wracking.  Babies do decel all the time and as long as their heart rate doesn’t stay down or it’s not too frequent it can be normal.  It’s good they did more monitoring and if you feel like you need to be monitored definitely advocate for it.  I hope next week’s is more reassuring.  Praying for your peace.
  • Question for STMs- I plan to work until my due date (because I think I will drive myself crazy being at home waiting to go into labour). If I were to go into labour at work, would I be able to drive with the first mild contractions? (I live about 5 minutes by car from work)
  • @charbabymama I would like to say yes. For the most part they start pretty tame, and then pick up over time. HOWEVER every pregnancy and labour is different. 
  • @charbabymama probably but if it happens, use your best judgment. If you’re in a lot of pain, ask someone to drive you. 
  • @charbabymama I have a friend whose water broke when she was out to dinner with a group of us. Despite our protests she insisted on driving herself home (but she did borrow a beach towel one of us happened to have lol). I have no experience on this though personally and agree that you should probably just do what seems feasible in the moment. For what it’s worth I have the same
    situation and am assuming I’ll be able to drive. 
  • @optism3 my water broke before contractions started with DD1. I would have been totally fine to drive if I need to :) 
  • @charbabymama my water broke with my first and contractions didn’t kick in until I was at the hospital so I definitely could have drove myself. With my second I woke up in full blown labor with contractions every 2-3 minutes and driving was absolutely not an option 
  • This topic makes me feel like we should have a sep thread of STM+ birth stories. I’m trying to wrap my head around all the possibilities 
  • Are there any merits to starting to wear pads in case of water breaking? We are going to clean out the car and keep a towel or something in there to protect the seats. Bed already had a water proof cover, but I am also working until D-Day unless I cant and im considering getting pads to start wearing just in case.
  • @catwood1703 I wouldn’t wear them everyday just in case. So many people don’t experience their water breaking until they’re already in the hospital and I feel like a pad would just be annoying. But if it makes you feel better, just keep some in your car or at your desk at work. 
  • @catwood1703 based on movies and tv you would think it’s typical for your water to break in a huge gush before labor begins, but this is actually quite rare. It happens less than 10% of the time, I think. With my first my water did break first but it was a very slow trickle. I wasn’t sure that my water had actually even broken, or if my discharge had increased a little. With my second my water broke well into labor and the baby was born minutes later.
  • My water broke with my daughter, but her head corked my cervix, so if I hadn’t felt like it was odd for the tiniest amount of fluid to drip out I would have never noticed.  When I got to hospital I moved in just a way that her head must have uncorked and fluid came rushing out.  I probably didn’t get to the hospital until a couple hours after I saw a few drops just fall out. 
  • I had to have my water broke at the hospital all 3 times. @optimism3 I think a delivery story thread would be a good idea.
  • @optimism3 @sassypants2010 have you guys tried joining the private group? Stories and other advice is being posted there :)
  • @misstree I applied but I think I wasn't deemed worthy. Or because I'm on mobile it didn't work. 
  • @sassypants2010 it has you listed as a member as of the 10th ... mobile works for me, so I'm not sure what's going on :( 
  • @misstree5 it let me just now on my laptop. stupid technology!

• @misstree5 - thanks. I applied but hadn’t heard anything. Could being on my
    phone make me miss a notification or something? 
  • @optimism3 maybe? I'm not sure I got a notification...I was just able to enter ...
  • @optimism3, I don't think we saw a request from you to join the private group.
  • Thanks @jvk2012 will try again lol
  • Where is the private group? How do we apply?
  • I think I applied but I’m not savvy enough to figure this out 
  • I think to find it you go to Community->All Forums->Groups
    There should be one listed as February 2020
    When you click, it should ask you why you want to join that group.
    If I am wrong about the process, I apologize. Pregnancy brain is a b*$^# haha