February 2020 Moms
Options

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Options
    @ibabyloveb87
    I go back and forth on being ready. Like I'm so psyched to be having our first baby, but then the terrified feelings kick in! Especially since I havent seen my normal doctor for a few appointments now and I'm not sure if I should ask the other doctors about inducing and how soon that might happen??

I'm definitely ready for the pregnancy pains to go away though.
    I think we're mostly ready for her at home, DH said he would grab the pack n play soon and wash her clothes for me (he's the best!) before too long. I want to take inventory of what we've got and maybe get a few varieties of things (like diapers, soaps etc.) In case we run into any sensitivities.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lanie1000 I am having those EXACT same feelings ...two is our number so this is it..and as much as I want her out, I will miss the movements :(
  • Options
    +1 for being ovvvveeerrrrrr pregnancy but idk what I’m going to do with another baby. 😳

Is this really happening next month? 😬
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, do BH contractions always happen weeks before labor? I will be 36 weeks tomorrow and as far as I can tell (FTM) I haven't had a single one. I'm hoping this isn't a sign I will be going 41 weeks
  • Options
    @huskervbfan never felt one BH or other contraction until I was induced with DS! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    Never had a BH the first time ...haven't had any this time either lol went almost to 41 weeks with my first, but water broke naturally and it was an 8 hour labour, so I have zero complaints :) but I don't think the lack of BH had anything to do with it...I was still 3cm dialated BEFORE the 40 week mark..she just took her time getting here :)
  • Options
    @huskervbfan you can be having contractions and not even feel them
  • Options
    @huskervbfan BH mean absolutely nothing in relation to when you’ll go into labor. I had them all pregnancy with DS1 starting in early 2nd tri. Still went to 41 weeks.
  • Options
    I still am unsure if I've actually felt any bh. Sometimes I think I feel them because my stomach gets harder but then I feel baby moving so I cant figure out if it's her pushing on my belly or an actual contraction happening. It's never painful and happens most often when I'm laying down in bed.
  • Options
    @babyroma Same!!! So weird!
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Options
    Totally with everyone who hasn't felt BH yet. Or maybe I have but didn't recognize it for what it was. Thanks @huskervbfan for saying something because I thought I was the only one not experiencing BH!

I so appreciate everyone sharing how they are feeling about their readiness for their babies to arrive. I'm in the camp of "aaahhh, 6 weeks isn't enough time!!" There are still things to do and books to read. As a FTM I don't know that I'll feel 100% ready. 
  • Options
    @huskervbfan - FTM here - I am not sure that I have had any BH either. Same sentiment as above, thanks for mentioning...All the STM+ - Thanks for the different perspectives! :)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I figured I wasn't alone but still felt a little down that maybe my body wasn't doing what it is "supposed to".  
  • Options
    SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited January 2020
    Anyone planning to or have previous experience with wearing some compression stuff after birth? Any recommendations on brand/type and sizing?

I know if you have a Csection they have you wear a belly band but I was thinking even if not I may want to get something to feel a little more together if that makes sense. I can only imagine the amount of loose skin and weak muscles after giving birth. 
  • Options
    @Swiftlet I had a section with my first and the hospital provided a belly band. I only wore it for the first couple of days. It didn’t seem very helpful 🤷‍♀️ I’ve seen some others in stores such as Motherhood, but don’t have any experience with those.
  • Options
    A couple questions. (I think This is starting to get “real” so the questions are flying). Any recommendations for best book to learn about breastfeeding? 

Second, how much time/energy did STM put into learning positions etc for labor and delivery? I went to childbirth class today, saw
    some - but my sense is it’s just going to be a matter of what helps/feels good while Im in it. And there’ll be nurses. Am I being naïve? Should I try to learn more about this?

Last of all - my back is incredibly reflexive. My whole life when someone touches it I flinch/shudder/squirm/move. Can’t control
    it. My enduring fear is this will mess up the epidural. Any words of wisdom? 

Thanks! 
  • Options
    @optimism3 with birthing positions, I didn't have much of a choice with my first...had the epidural and couldn't walk/get out of bed...also needed to be on my left side for a while, which made more meds go to that side so I couldn't even move that leg for a few hours after giving birth lol 
  • Options
    @optimism3 The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is an amazing book and resource. 
    I never attended a child birth class. I Walked the halls and sat on a ball until contractions kicked in enough that I  had an epidural with my first and I didn’t have time for the epidural to work before I had to start pushing with my second. Honestly labor happened so quick that time and I was in enough pain that moving around didn’t interest me in the slightest. My labor nurses both times were amazing and helped me so much. 
  • Options
    @optimism3 with positions and breathing, I learned stuff in my birth  class but when it came down to the real thing, I did was was the best for me in the moment and really didn’t think of what the birth class said. 

Once I had my epidural of course I couldn’t get up and walk around but they did have me use the peanut ball to try to help move things along and such. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
     @optimism3, I was induced and received an early epidural so I didn't need too many labor positions to deal with pain.  My nurse was amazing and even after getting the epidural she helped me get up on hands and knees on the bed (leaning on the back of the bed) to help get baby into better position and she helped me use the peanut ball.  I couldn't move around more than that.  Had I not gotten the epidural, I think the labor nurse would have helped me a lot with positions and breathing.

I will say I think knowing positions and breathing would help most if you are laboring at home before being admitted into the hospital which happens depending on how far dilated you are.
  • Options
    @optimism3 I was also induced and chose to go with an epidural so I didn't get to make use of many birthing positions...although I was having unmedicated contractions for a few hours before I asked for the pain meds. That being said, I don't remember which mama said it, but I completely agree with the notion that the birthing classes are much better for the partner. As many have said, in the moment your instincts will kick in and you'll likely get into whatever position is most comfortable for you. Your partner can choose to remind you of other options (depending on how receptive you are to input at that point...LOL). 

As for the epidural, I think you should just plan to let the anesthesiologist know about your concerns with back sensitivity. From my perspective I was just completing a really intense contraction when they entered the room so I naturally relaxed for the needle. 
  • Options
    I have a question about stress tests. I had never heard about them until this board. What are they? My midwife hasn't mentioned anything about this. Is it standard?
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Options
    @rikiteacup NST or non-stress test is when they strap two monitors to your belly and track the babies heart beat and movements for X amount of time :) 
  • Options
    @misstree5 they let you do yours on your back? I had my first one today and I had to lay on my side for the whole thing. I was in so much pain after bc my pelvis was screaming in horror lol
  • Options
    @misstree5 thanks! Is it standard? when do they start doing that?
    TTC#1
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2

• Options
    @babyroma ive never had it done on my side! Maybe it was to help baby? Or maybe that was the only position they could get a good read on baby? 

@rikiteacup I forgot to mention that it also measures contractions
    So it's used if you are having early contractions or I had do go when I fell down the stairs...I think they for sure do it when you first go in to have the baby ..again just to make sure you are actually in labour :) 
  • Options
    @misstree5 That could be, I hope I can do the next one on my back! The nurse didn't even try me on my back. 
    The doctor said sorry it took so long because the 32w ones can be finicky. I wasn't sure if it was that or maybe because I'm overweight. 

@rikiteacup I have to have them weekly now because of the blood pressure. They just want to stay on top of making sure we're good! 
  • Options
    @rikiteacup, with my DD I never had them until I was being induced. With this pregnancy they have concerns about his growth due to marginal cord insertion so I am starting them at 34 weeks. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I've definitely seen this at the hospital when women are in labor. Didn't know it was called a stress test. 
    TTC#1

TTC #2

• Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies. Makes me
    feel like maybe I’ll be fine without the instruction in positions etc. whew. It’s getting real.

@rikiteacup Think it was implied but you also get them if you’re considered high risk. I’m AMA so my doc said I’d be getting them
    too starting at 32 weeks until the end. It’s not bad although it seems like it takes them way longer to find the heartbeat every time than during a normal check for some reason. 
  • Options
    @rikiteacup It's actually called a non-stress test.