December Appointments

:) 
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: December Appointments

• @pirateduck Good luck tomorrow. I was just wondering this morning if you had your appointment today. FX everything looks great. I'll be thinking of you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @ruby696 I will let you ladies know how it goes.
  • @pirateduck, I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow! 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Awe @ieles2531 this is excellent news!  Is this your last big hurdle?  Do you still have to have extra monitoring until May?  

• What a relief @ieles2531! So glad to hear you got good news!
  • @ieles2531 Congratulations!!! Wonderful news!!! So happy for you!

@pirateduck Good luck tomorrow! I’ll be thinking happy healthy baby thoughts
  • @ieles2531 That is such a relief! I'm glad everything is fine, but that they are still going to monitor you.

@pirateduck FX for a good appointment today!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Good luck today @pirateduck

@ieles2531 yay! That's great news!
  • I'll be thinking of you today @pirateduck. ❤❤
  • @ieles2531 I'm so glad to hear everything is fine! You must feel like a weight is off your shoulders.

@pirateduck thinking of you today. Please keep us posted!
  • Just got a call from Kaiser to schedule my AS. They were like, "We're calling to schedule and we don't have any appointments until January 7!" I'll be almost 22 weeks by then. Major eye roll. So I called them back and they "found a cancellation" on December 27, which is almost even more annoying because I really wanted to get in before Christmas. I have my 16 week appointment today and I think I'm going to ask to be put on a call list if there's a cancellation the week before Christmas.
  • @soprano19 That is exactly the reason I try to schedule all of my appointment super far ahead of time. After my anatomy scan I think I will schedule the rest of my appointments for the pregnancy.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua Kaiser is such a machine that they won't schedule things more than one appointment in advance, otherwise I would have scheduled my AS back at my 12 week appointment. I totally knew this would happen.
  • drkoyyadrkoyya member
    edited December 2019
    @soprano19 That’s extremely annoying. You’re in NorCal right? Is the clinic really busy? 

I’m with Kaiser in SoCal and they managed to schedule most of my appointments ahead of time. At my first visit, I scheduled all my Dr appointments through 28 weeks and I scheduled my A/S for the 17th back in October. I think the reason I was able to make appointments that far in advance is because I go to the small satellite clinic and not the main hospital.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @pirateduck I hope your appointment went well yesterday. 
  • @pirateduck I have everything crossed for good amnio results. Regarding your disagreement with YH, I hope you're both able to move past this quickly. Frankly, given the potential for early medical intervention, I think you made the responsible choice - God forbid, but if your baby needs a team of doctors ready at birth, you need to know that early. I wonder if part of YH's hesitation is the fear that amnio results might make it more real, whereas, thinking there's only a 25% chance gives him a few more months to not have to deal with it emotionally. Regardless, it's a very difficult situation and it makes sense that emotions would be high. Sending hugs. ❤❤
  • Thank you @ieles2531 .  I know there's not a right and wrong answer and a lot boils down to personal beliefs.  It's not what's right, but what's right for you in your situation, which is hard, and no one else can give you that answer.

I'm assuming you and your husband were able to reconcile your differences as best you can?  Were you both able to come to terms with the decisions that were made in the end?  My husband seems to fear that this is an indication that I will continue to ignore his point of view or that what he thinks doesn't matter.  It does matter, and that is why I am upset right now.  I know I hurt him by doing this and I care about him.
  • Thank you @ruby696 there is a lot at play with both of our thoughts and emotions for sure.  I know we both approach and process things differently, and this is part of that.  I'm sure he is scared of the results as well, and I agree that sometimes ignorance is bliss.  I wasn't planning on having carrier screening and my doctor ran this along with a million other tests and I didn't realize (my fault for not asking more questiosns).  I wish I could undo this knowledge, but I can't.  I have the test results and need to move on and make decisions based on that.
  • @pirateduck I'm sorry you're having to deal with this marital strain on top of the uncertainty with the baby. Have you two ever discussed trying couple's therapy? It may not be necessary, but if it becomes a lingering issue it could help you find common ground and feel more supported. Hoping for all the best with your results and everything.
  • Oh, and the woman I work with is also a temperature/thermostat control freak in the office so yeah, that combined with my hormones, I wear lots of layers every day!  :D
  • @pirateduck we had three options for our pregnancy: termination (which is not legal past 24 weeks in FL and would have required a lot of work and money because I was already 32 weeks), full term delivery and palliative care, or delivery and then at least 3 open heart surgeries with a transplant in childhood. I would have chosen to terminate because it would have been easier on all of us, but my husband wanted to meet our son alive and be able to hold him as he passed away. I thought it would be too much for me to handle. Ultimately, we had several sessions with a counselor trained in marriage and grief, and after exploring all three of our choices, we decided on option 2. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t hard, and that there wasn’t resentment toward him. I, like your husband, felt completely out of control and like what I wanted didn’t matter. Part of my husband’s reasoning was that he wouldn’t be able to come with me, since we had a 3 year old and he had to work. 

It’s hard when you disagree about something important on a fundamental level. I’d suggest at least one session with a counselor just to see if there’s a way you could both calmly frame your opinion in a way that makes sense to the other. 

Also, just because you made the final ruling this time doesn’t mean that it will be that way in the future. A little reassurance goes a long way. 
  • @soprano19 DS gets to come to my 18 week appt and DD gets to come to the AS! I'm so excited (assuming everything looks good with the babies) for my kids to see their new siblings! I bet your daughter loved being at your appt.
  • @ruby696 she did love it! Unfortunately Kaiser doesn't allow children at the AS, otherwise we'd bring her. I would love for her to see an ultrasound at some point.
  • @soprano19 and other ladies who can do this, I think it's awesome if you can bring your kiddos to at least one US appointment!  When I was 10 I went to an US appointment with my mom when she was pregnant with my sister and it stuck with me to this day, even though I didn't know what I was looking at half the time!
  • @pirateduck I'm glad you appointment went well overall and FX for good results. I am sorry that it has caused some tension between YH and you.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @pirateduck hoping for some speedy and good results for you. Hopefully you and YH can take some time to talk it out and discuss any future decisions positively.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • sunshinesea22sunshinesea22 member
    edited December 2019
    @pirateduck I 1000% agree with what everyone else has said in support of your decision. Primarily for the fact that knowing what you’re up against makes for completely different decisions. I’m hoping that your baby is perfectly healthy, but in the event that they are not, you need to know so you can decide A) if you want to carry to FT or b) where you will deliver. A baby with SMA needs specialized medical care at a top-notch children’s hospital. You don’t want to take the chance of not knowing and delivering at a community hospital, then having to lose precious time (not to mention extra stress) trying to get a very fragile newborn to an appropriate facility. I also hope you take advantage of some couples counseling even if things are okay with baby. Having professional insights And guidance into your communication can make a great difference. If YH won’t go, I would recommend it for you alone too.

Edit: inappropriate emoji substituted for point b)
  • @pirateduck I am so sorry you're going through this and feeling so isolated in your decisions.  I 100% agree you made the right decision, and I'm sorry YH can't be more supportive of that.  Being prepared for a 25% risk outweighs a 1% risk of MC by 25x, in my mind.  I do risk analysis as part of my daily job, and can tell you if this wasn't such a deeply personal topic, there would be zero question when making a decision between 1% risk and 25% risk.  But I do understand how deeply personal and emotional this is, and that makes logic sometimes go out the window.  I hope he comes around and forgives you.  Most of all, I hope you guys are in the 75% and have a totally healthy rainbow baby!  

Also, I am jealous of everyone who can bring their LOs to the ultrasound.  I feel like DS would love that (and he even has a book called Waiting for Baby where the big kid gets to see the baby on the ultrasound) but my hospital doesn't allow kids in the US room, sadly.  :(  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @shamrocandroll I really want to bring DD to our anatomy ultrasound, I have no clue if it is allowed or not. However I don't think we will be bringing her. She has her winter program at daycare that morning, and I have the appointment right after and I don't think she would be able to sit nicely for that long. Then I am also terrified if we find out something is wrong I don't want her with.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua and @shamrocandroll Honestly, we're only bring ours because DS gets out of school at 2:30 on the 13th and my appt is at 3:00 and DD doesn't go to preschool on Mondays, which is the day of my AS. We're pretty anti-technology for kids, but we'll bring a tablet with a movie for her for that appt because it's going to be pretty long. I'm excited they get to have a chance to see the babies, but it would definitely be easier if they weren't there.