May 2020 Moms

December Appointments

Re: December Appointments

• @m6agua maybe ask your OB if there are any other scheduled ultrasounds - I just found out at my 16w appointment that my OB does a standard 32 week ultrasound (which for sure wasn't standard at my previous OB). But there might be another chance - and the anatomy scan is so long I don't think my 4 year old can sit for an hour even for something he's enjoying! Or there's also the option to go to one of those elective ultrasound places that do the crazy 4D images/videos if you really want your DD to experience it - we are thinking about doing this because my son really wants to see the baby wiggling around - but I don't want to do it until after the anatomy scan just to make sure all is good. 
  • @chewie5990 My office does no other ultrasounds. 20 week is the only one standard, unless there are reasons for another. My only other thought is that my daughter was breech until about 32/33 weeks, so maybe I can get one to see if baby is breech. Although with DD they just used the bedside ultrasound. I'm thinking maybe if I ask for one so DD can come they may be able to schedule me for one anyway.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Loading the player...
  • I just had an appointment. Standard stuff, just the doppler. HR was 152. I finally got myself to the pharmacy to get baby aspirin (FYI, it's not actually called that in the pharmacy. If your doctor tells you to take it, they mean low dose aspirin...) Scheduled my U/S for January 2. My doctor was insistent I not do it before 20 weeks, which is interesting. Well, not really insistent, but she only said 20 weeks, not 18-20 like I thought was standard. I wanted to push it to 2020 anyway so it's fine. Next appointment is January 7.
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @pirateduck Thinking of you, your husband, and baby. We're all with you. 

• @catem07 my OB was also very strict about the 20 week mark. I was hoping to try and get the anatomy scan scheduled right before Christmas as I'd be within the 18-20 range, but OB said absolutely not. Mine is scheduled for Jan 3 which is a little past 20w
  • super interesting about everyone's strict 20w anatomy scans. I'm having mine in the 18th week which I thought was on the early side, but I'm happy to do it then because I hit my deductible for the year and I have to start over in 2020.

@pirateduck I'm glad things are better with you and YH. MH and I got into a multi week long fight after I found out I was pregnant over something incredibly dumb (house paint color, seriously) and it took multiple counseling sessions to get through it. We're fine now! (I think). Just saying it's not just you. 
  • Definitely interesting about the exact 20 week rule. I just had my 16w and scheduled my AS and the NP was like yea a little before or after is fine, whatever's available. Mine is also for January 2nd. Gonna have lots of pictures and updates in the new year from everybody!

Today I just did doppler - found the heartbeat right away but she didn't bother figuring out the HR. Nice to know things are still good in there! Also did the glucose challenge, which wasn't that bad. Hopefully I passed! 
  • I third the opinion about the strict 20 week rule for AS being strange. I got mine at 16+3. My previous two pregnancies were done at 18-19 weeks. Maybe it has to do with your office’s equipment or sonographer? This time mine was at MFM and they saw everything they needed at 16+3. 
  • @ieles2531 Mine gets done at the hospital in radiology, so it’s not an equipment issue. Maybe they had a lot of people have to go back because of not seeing things so they just go with 20. 

*TW talk of termination*

I live in a state where you can terminate up to viability so I’m not concerned, but if I lived in a 20 week state I would inquire more about the why for 20 weeks. 

• My AS is at 19+4 with an MFM at the highest rated hospital in CA and 5th best in the US. So I side eye the 20 week rule too.
  • I hit 20 weeks exactly on Christmas Day.  The office seemed pretty flexible that I could schedule at the end of the week before or wait until the next week if I wanted.  
  • @splashmountain thanks for the info! 

@jkr2019 Looking forward to following your journey! There are a lot of good triplet mama IG accounts if you’re interested in following others’ experiences. Thinking of your upcoming appointments. 

• Interestingly the tech wanted to see me around 18 weeks (I think she just likes doing AS with DS she kept saying “oh let me get you a better picture”) but we scheduled it for 20+1 because it’s my birthday and I was going to take the whole day off anyways. I have an appointment on 12/19 with my OB first time I’ll be seeing him since the IUD stuff. I think I am going to ask him if I can see him and the NP only because of how late the midwife always runs. 
  • I have my anatomy scan this Thursday. Not sure what to expect since it isn’t at my OB’s office it’s at the hospital. How is it different from my usual ultrasound? Will it be both internal and external ultrasounds? Just trying to mentally prepare myself. 
  • @babyfoxden10 I had mine this past Thursday. It was all external. The tech took a bunch of measurements of bones and pictures of organs etc. They say it takes an hour but depending on baby’s movement and the tech’s skill, it can take less. I think we were in there less than 45 minutes because baby was very active and she got all the stuff she needed easily. Make sure you tell them right away if you are Team Green!! Ours was good and asked at the beginning and before announcing, but some ladies have said their techs blurted it out without asking.
  • @sunshinesea22 good to know! Thanks!!
  • @jkr2019 Welcome! That does sound like a pretty stressful pregnancy. I'm glad they seem to be doing appropriate monitoring. We have several multiples this month, I think you are the only triplet one though.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @jkr2019 Welcome! I think we may be five-ish twin pregnancies? You're welcome to join us on the Moms of Multiples board. It's kind of slow, but hopefully will pick up as our pregnancies progress. Congrats on your triplets!
  • Thanks everyone! I was excited to see the moms of multiples post for sure. My check up today went well! All three babies were wiggle monsters and totally the right size.  I probably have placenta previa, which will have to be watched, but in the big scheme of problems they could find that is not such a big deal since I’m already delivering early and having a c-section. 

@babyfoxden10 my anatomy scan with my singleton pregnancy was external and also around forty five minutes. They gave us a dvd of the video which is a fun keepsake. I’ve had 2-3 friends who had to come back a few weeks later and do it again due to concerns about the heart, but it ended up fine for all of them. I think sometimes the baby just needs more time to grow for them to see it all clearly, especially if you schedule it early. 
  • Serious question regarding the anatomy scan, how do you drink enough water and prevent yourself from peeing your pants? 

I have mine next Tuesday at 10am. They require that I drink 32oz of water beforehand without emptying my bladder. I’ve had about 30 ounces all day and I’m making hourly bathroom runs. I was almost planning on emptying my bladder then just chugging all the water right before I go in (as best as I can). Probably not the best strategy so I’m open to suggestions.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • Honestly that's what I'd do, chug before hand. FWIW, my office doesn't require you to have a full bladder because by then they should be able to see enough without it...

• 32 ounces is more than needed to fill your bladder if you are well hydrated to begin with.  I generally pee 1-2 hours before the appointment and then drink water until they call me in.  You can ask the tech to look at what they need to with the full bladder first and ask the tech to let you know when it’s ok to empty your bladder.  I’ve been allowed to empty it mid US before.  I think part of it depends the position of the baby and your placenta how easy things are to see.  
  • Strange, I don’t remember having to drink water for an anatomy scan. 

Anyway, 32oz sounds absurd. I’ve had more than my fair share of ultrasounds because of fertility treatments and I always drink an18oz glass 1 hour before my appointment and it’s always been plenty. They’re able to get what they need and I’m ready to pee but not ridiculously uncomfortable. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had to drink 32oz for my 6 week scan, they said it had to be exactly one hour before the appointment. By the time they called me in I had to go soooo bad. She let me empty my bladder halfway through, thank goodness. Really hoping I don't have to do that again for the anatomy scan.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • The one time I actually drank the 32oz, I was told my bladder was way too full. So now i drink a 16oz glass. I've never had complaints.
  • @jrouge12 I’m pretty positive yesterday’s flutter was not just gas it was a more pronounced feeling very exciting!
  • And also I wasn’t told to drink water beforehand, but I never pee before an appointment anyway otherwise I won’t have to pee at all in the cup at each appointment lol 
  • @drkoyya I agree with everyone else that 32oz for an anatomy scan is a bit much. My office has different guidelines based on how many weeks you are. I only had to have 16-20 ounces before my AS (at 16 weeks). For my 12 week I had to chug 32 oz in 30 minutes (got incorrect instructions, don’t do 32oz in 30mins!) and it went straight to the bladder. I think we all vote you drink 20oz and they probably won’t even know the difference.
  • I had to have a full bladder before my 12w sca , and she actually had to have me partially empty it because it was too full. Not sure which is worse: an ultrasound on an uncomfortably full bladder, or having to try and partially empty a very full bladder. But for my AS I'm far enough along that they don't want or need the full bladder. 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @lisush yes exactly! Not to mention I can't start researching daycare and I know I'm going to have to look into that and get on a list. Hopefully we are both able to quickly find a good fit once the moves happen. Yay for good results on both of your tests!!
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • @heyybritt ugh I can't even think about daycare and wait-lists!
  • @thepretzelchick they didn't tell me to fast for the one hour glucose challenge, just to not eat carbs beforehand.