May 2020 Moms
Options

Maternity Clothes: Second Trimester

Re: Maternity Clothes: Second Trimester

• Options
    No recommendations but I just had my birthday last week and announced the week before. I received so many maternity clothes that I now have more maternity jeans than normal jeans. If anyone has a large extended family that you get gifts from and you've announced already hold off on a lot of purchases until after the holidays if possible. 
  • Options
    @zaslawlz yes, my birthday coincides with Christmas, and there is not too much gift exchange at this time, but I do fully expect baby stuff this year instead of whatever my parents would normally send me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anyone have recommendations for skinny/cigarette style pants for work? I saw Gap had some but the reviews say they used to be great but have recently started showing the elastic threads after a few washes. 

I have quite a few tops that could work with skinny work pants so I'm hoping buying one or two pairs of work maternity pants will make my wordrobe last the entire pregnancy. 
    Me: 30 | H: 34
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
    EDD: 5/1/20  *please stick, baby*
  • Options
    So this year I'll be required to attend a holiday party at work for clients/homeowners.  I have no idea how large I will be by then, but I know that nothing I own now that actually fits will be a suitable outfit for this  type of affair.  I don't wanna spend a ton of money on an outfit I will likely only wear once...  just throwing that out there, I'm sure they may be a few of you in the same boat.  As we get closer to the time if anyone finds anything cute or finds a store with good selections, let me know!  I need to dress up, but it's not like a semi-formal affair or anything.  I could go slacks and a blouse and nice shoes or a dress with tights.
    I wore a cute empire, non-maternity dress when I was pregnant with my first around that time, I think I was 16 weeks. It had a fun bouncy skirt that would be perfect for the holidays in the right pattern (mine has bunnies). I have worn it a few times not pregnant with a belt. Just thinking you wouldn't have to limit yourself to a maternity dress at that point.
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • Options
    I got my blanqi leggings and they really are the bees knees. Super thick, the support is amazing and the cost was totally justified. Wearing them forever.
  • Options
    tj_2 said:
    Anyone have recommendations for skinny/cigarette style pants for work? I saw Gap had some but the reviews say they used to be great but have recently started showing the elastic threads after a few washes. 

I have quite a few tops that could work with skinny work pants so I'm hoping buying one or two pairs of work maternity pants will make my wordrobe last the entire pregnancy. 
    I really like Old Navy's Pixie pants in general (they're my work go-to), and I just found out the carry maternity versions. I've ordered some of those, both side panel and full panel, I'll let you know how they work.

Also PSA Old Navy is doing a 30% of everything saleb on top of sale prices right now, I got the aforementioned pants and a new winter jacket for under $100.
  • Options
    @rox7777 ok this review convinced me. I put some in the cart but hadn't pulled the trigger yet, wasn't sure if they would really be worth it.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder about checking Pink blush on Black Friday! I was about to order from their 30 percent off but I can wait a little bit for a bigger sale.
  • Options
    @rox7777 Mine came too, and I love them! I plan to live in them when I'm not at work.
  • Options
    Any advice on maternity underwear? I am a bigger gal anyhow but my undies have been bothering me in the leg holes lately.... 
  • Options
    @Amyface813 I'll be 20.5 weeks by the time the event rolls around...  I have no clue how big I will or won't be as this is my first...  we'll see.  A dress will give me flexibility for sure.  I was at Target yesterday and they are transitioning to more winter/holiday stuff but the store was a mess and I couldn't handle the clothing department.  Also they did not have a side panel pants in my size (one of the things I was trying to get because I'm in love with the one pair I own and I currently hate all my non-maternity pants and I'm not big enough for full panel yet) pretty much everything was size 14.

@JStill0603 I wish I had advice.  I also tried to get some new underwear lately and totally failed.  I think I hate my new underwear more than my old underwear it's meant to replace!
  • Options
    @JStill0603 Under the bump underwear from amazon! My favorite. I hate pressure anywhere near my belly button or CS scar so they have been a life saver. And more reasonably priced than maternity stores. 
  • Options
    Probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I bought a pair of under the belly maternity jeans early because of all the bloat. Lately I've noticed when I sit down it digs into my belly and makes it uncomfortable. Will it dig in less once my belly becomes harder? or am I better off looking for the pants with the full panel in the front for better comfort?
  • Options
    Sizing question: What sizes do people usually order for maternity pants? Do you stick with your pre-pregnancy size and the “pregnancy” part of the pants makes up for the bigger belly? Or do people size up? If so, how much?
  • Options
    @rox7777 I hate anything on my cs scar. I haven't worn underware since I stopped wearing the mesh ones when I had dd. I just can't do it. I figured the under belly ones would cut in right where my scar was so I never tried them. Are they actually lower than your scar? Maybe tmi but my scar runs through my pubic hair.

@sunshinesea22 I bought the size I wear on normal pants and was ok with everything but gap. Though I feel like their sizes run small anyhow and their regular size wouldn't work for me, but I only own trousers and not skinny leg pants from them in regular sizes so who knows seeing how I could only get skinny leg in maternity, they felt like they were slowly falling down all day and the seam hit my butt crack so they felt even more like they were falling down even when they were up.

• Options
    @jhysmath Actually the ones I bought are like a spandex material. No seams, just one panel of material. My scar is also super low,
    like any lower and they might have cut into my lady parts low. The under the bump ones I bought sit higher than that, but lower than say granny panties or boy shorts if that makes sense. 
  • Options
    @rox7777
    I might have to give those a try. I tried boy shorts, briefs, and granny panties and just couldn't get them to be comfortable. They all seemed to just find a way to slide down and get the elastic right on the incision and I couldn't deal with it. 
  • Options
    I bought maternity jeans at Target.  Depending what store/brand I get jeans at I’m different sizes normally (Not maternity) usually an 8 or 10, occasionally a 12.  For Target’s brand the 8 fit perfectly (I don’t have a huge bump yet, but can’t fit in my regular pants) they are side panel and stay up and with the way the elastic is I think they will continue to fit for quite awhile.  @sunshinesea22 I hope that helps!  I haven’t tried other brands yet because I’d have to order online.
  • Options
    @jhysmath and others, I find it helpful to go down a size in maternity things, theyre usually cut wider to accommodate growth anyways. I’m a 10 in jeans typically, so I buy a L in leggings, 8 in maternity pants, and a M in maternity underwear. I do my normal S in tops until third trimester. Hopefully that helps some. Some maternity sites offer charts that go buy height/weight instead of measurements too! 
  • Options
    @aneggnamedalex I personally like the full panel better than the others cuts. So that is what I'm going with, they do slide down a bit in this early stage though.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    +1 on sizing down with maternity pants/leggings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a pair of under the belly leggings in my regular size and they were too big. Falling down, too big. I got a size smaller and they fit much better. 

• Options
    I’m still trying to keep my bump on the down low at work which starting today I’m realizing is going to be a bit of a challenge. My work pants did not want to zip up at all today. I bought some leggings with tummy control on amazon for now. I just need to make it to early December after parent-teacher conferences. Open to bump control suggestions! 
  • Options
    @babyfoxden10 Honestly flowy shirts, oversized sweaters and chunky cardigans are your friend. I keep my hidden most of the time because I just don’t like questions/being messed with and I’ve been living in full panel leggings with oversized sweaters now that it’s cold. 
  • Options
    @babyfoxden10 I wear flannel tops most days and they do a great job being baggy and hiding most things chunky cardigans work great too. I didn't tell my students last time until I was about 24 weeks when the coordinator from the community College outed me in front of an entire class of students. Students claimed they suspected but no one asked me prior to that . 
  • Options
    @babyfoxden10 along with the suggestions above, I find having a scarf around my neck helps distract from the bump too. Basically a lot of layers that will make figuring out the shape underneath a challenge. 

I tried ordering up dresses based on suggestions here and unless they were the  super lose sack style this did not work for me. 
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
  • Options
    Does anyone have recommendations for where I could get XXS jeans? I'm from Canada but I am visiting the US and I heard Target was good but the smallest they had was small and I was swimming in them.  XS or XXS is my normal size depending on where I go. 
  • Options
    @jess09lynn I wore an XXS my first pregnancy and was never able to find anything maternity wise that small. I wore non maternity up until 7 months. Instead of looking for maternity jeans try regular jeans with a belly band or a waist extender.  I just did the hair tie trick forever because I barely had a bump for so long. 
  • Options
    @aneggnamedalex I have one pair of just stretchy waistband jeans that I had bought later during my last pregnancy and they were super comfortable. I wore them recently and had the same issue with them digging. 
    Moral of my story is—in my experience—YES they get more comfortable once your belly gets harder! 
  • Options
    I ordered a maternity box from stitch fix and I am loving it! I've done a few in the past and sometimes they are so so but they did a good job of picking versatile maternity items.
  • Options
    @rox7777 I didn't even think about a waist extender, that's a good idea thanks! 
  • Options
    I got so sick of being in uncomfortable clothes and changing twenty times in the morning that I bought an entire wardrobes worth at Destination Maternity. This is more money that I've ever spent on clothes in an entire year but I don't have to try on shit, be uncomfortable and everything was super discounted so I'm trying to just focus on that 
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
  • Options
    JStill0603JStill0603 member
    edited November 2019
    The Blanqi support tank top for the pre Black Friday 50% off sale price was totally worth it. I’m not a fan of the leggings, they feel too much like my compression ski pants layering than comfy leggings to me. I wish I would have got 2 tank tops though. So nice, even with the not totally huge belly yet. Hopefully it holds up nicely. 
  • Options
    @tj_2 I did the same thing yesterday! turns out I do have a big enough belly to hold the panels up now, too.
  • Options
    I just ordered some dresses on Pink Blush because they were having 30% off everything. I love everything on the site and two of the three I bought will be good for nursing as well. 
  • Options
    There are sooooo many cute cheap dresses on pink blush I am really having a hard time deciding on just one for a work holiday function!  Maybe I just buy more than one!
  • Options
    Any suggestions on maternity work pants? I need to wear business casual/business on a M-Th basis...
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

• Options
    @queenklau ...I got some at the destination maternity sale...a black, blue and gray. You could check pea and a pod online because that was one of the brands they carry in store. 

Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
  • Options
    not pants but I want to put a plug in for this dress if you work in an office type environment:

https://www.motherhood.com/raglan-sleeve-maternity-dress/006-94220-66.html?cgid=clothing-dresses&dwvar_006-94220-66_color=006-94220-66#start=1

I bought it in 4 colors -- it's so comfortable, easy to wear to work, not too hot and will grow with me.
  • Options
    @allie456 and @tj_2, thanks!

there is a Destination Maternity store closing down nearby, I’ll check it out this weekend!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016