May 2020 Moms

The Ultrasound Thread

Re: The Ultrasound Thread

• @shamrocandroll, I didn’t see the pic at first, still getting used to the spoiler drop downs. Beautiful!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• *lurking from April 2020*

@shamrocandroll beautiful!!!! So excited for you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mbiegler0622 so many twins in this group! congrats!!! 
  • @mbiegler0622 oh my gosh! congrats! i think you're the third twin mom here!
  • mbiegler0622mbiegler0622 member
    edited September 2019
    @chewie5990 @mamaqdubu thank you!!! We couldn’t  believe it! So excited! 
  • @mbiegler0622 Congrats and welcome to the twin club! We're going to have to start a multiples thread!
  • @ruby696 thank you!! @allie456 congrats!!! What type of twins are you having? I am having mono/di 
  • @mbiegler0622 mine are dichorionic (fraternal).

how many twin moms do we have here? @mbiegler0622, @bender29, who else?

I also have some evidence of SCH so I'm glad for everyone's reassuring advice to @shamrocandroll
  • @allie456, @ruby696 is also having twins! 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @mbiegler0622 @allie456 @bender29 I think it's the four of us for now. Mine are di/di.
  • @ruby696 @allie456 @bender29 congrats again! This is exciting and mine are mono/di ❤️❤️
  • Ladies, I think it would be helpful if we include the weeks + days we are on our ultrasound posts!
  • It's amazing the difference between six weeks and seven weeks in terms of how much more it looks like a baby! very cool!
  • edited October 2019
    Had my first ultrasound for our first baby today, which was supposed to be really magical. Baby is tracking at 6w6days, which is about five days later than going off my last period. Our new due date is 5/20/2020. Heart rate was picked up at 100 and 108 bpm.

But I’m at a loss for words over the whole thing. The ultrasound tech never introduced herself, when she found the baby she was very deadpan “There’s the baby.” My husband and I heard something, but we weren’t sure if it was the heartbeat. She stopped the sound, measured the wavelength and then just said “So your baby’s heartbeat is 100 bpm.” We didn’t know it was happening! She played it again to measure again, which is where we got the 108, but it was all so short. Less then ten seconds each time, maybe between the two of them. She didn’t explain the ultrasound process for us, initially tried to do a trans abdominal before she said “It’s hard to do through so much belly”... When as I understand it, they usually don’t work all that well for anyone this early on.

Our doctor’s appointment that followed didn’t go much better, there was a lot of negativity in that appointment, too. But I’ve just been crying all day - I feel like an idiot for thinking I should have a baby. Am I overweight? Yes. Do I work out? Four times a week at least, for at least 30 minutes of cardio if not 40 or 50. The doctor could hardly contain her shock. What she doesn’t know is several years ago I lost 40 pounds, and this is just where I’ve always plateaued. But it wasn’t for lack of trying. She just told me to see a nutritionist. Do I have a history of anxiety and depression? Yes. She just wants to start me up on medication before I deliver to head it off. I have some unresolved issues in regards to passing out that she wants me to follow up on, but I felt like the doctor just thought I was so irresponsible for getting pregnant. 

Did anyone else have this kind of experience with their first appointment? I’ve just been crying since I got home. I sobbed into my husband’s chest when I got home. I can’t remember the moment I heard my baby’s heartbeat for the first time, I don’t remember how it sounds. My husband does, but I’m just heartbroken. I thought I’d feel reassured after our appointment today, but instead I just feel so dumb. 

I guess I’m just... hoping for some understanding. Has this only happened to me?
  • @remarkable2018 I am so so sorry you had such a bad experience! I think this might be a better discussion on another thread like the appt thread , but regardless I would highly suggest you look for another OB office! We are all so early in our pregnancy so there won’t be any issues with it. Ask maybe on a local forum/FB group for suggestions/people’s experience before making a decision. You are going to have a lot of appts and tests, and you should feel comfortable and look forward to them. And if you do find someone else, I would definitely go right into the new OB and explain why you changed, and what your medical history is so they know you are looking for some support! I hope you can find a better fit. 
  • I agree with @mamaqdubu, being pregnant is stressful enough, you need your medical practitioner on your side. If he is not answering your questions or making you feel comfortable/at ease, find a new one.

So sorry that was your first experience. Glad to hear the baby is doing well!

• @remarkable2018
    I'm definitely plus sized and my midwives just encouraged me not to gain a ton of weight. Here is a website for resources that I've read about, haven't actually used, but it might be useful. https://plussizebirth.com/plus-size-pregnancy-and-birth/ They talk about finding the right doctor for you as well. I would look for another one if I were you. You don't need that negativity.
  • @remarkable2018 I'm sorry you had this experience. This is not the way it should be. I also had a very negative experience with the first OB office I went to with my first pregnancy - you can and should switch offices if you are not comfortable.

As far as the US - were you tracking ovulation or just LMP? It is very possible you ovulated late and this can account for the 5 days. Also, while a 100-108 HR is on the low side for 6w6d that does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. With my son I went in for an early ultrasound and measured 6w5d and the HR was 108. They told me this was low. I had my follow-up with the OB about the US the next day and expressed my concern about the low HR - he said okay lets do another US right now. So he brought me into the US room and again the HR was 108. I think they were expecting it to go up even just a few beats. They had me come in again in one week for a follow-up US and the HR was 140. We suspected the heart had just started beating a few days before the first US and it was all unnecessary worry and anxiety.
  • @remarkable2018 I am also a bit overweight, but don't look like I weigh as much as I do.  When my OB saw my BMI, she was like "Hmm... that doesn't seem right, let me check that again" and I was like "It's probably right.  It's always been higher than I look."  She responded with "Well, you're in good company, and we recommend a weight gain of only about 11-20 lbs."  I told her I gained 11 with my son, and she said "Oh so then you're already a pro at this and know what to do." and that was the end of it.  She wanted to hear that I was exercising regularly, taking my prenatals, and that my blood pressure and blood sugar levels looked good.  If there's no medical reason to worry other than a few extra pounds, then they shouldn't be making you feel shame like that.  Hell, they shouldn't be shaming you even if there was a medical reason.  It's time to find another OB stat.  The ultrasound tech unfortunately you can't really control, and I'm sorry about that experience.  However, they are extremely restricted on what they are allowed to tell you, and are just responsible for taking the measurements and sending them along to the doctors.  That doesn't mean they should be cold and insensitive, though.  I'm sorry you experienced that.
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Had my first ultrasound for our first baby today, which was supposed to be really magical. Baby is tracking at 6w6days, which is about five days later than going off my last period. Our new due date is 5/20/2020. Heart rate was picked up at 100 and 108 bpm.

But I’m at a loss for words over the whole thing. The ultrasound tech never introduced herself, when she found the baby she was very deadpan “There’s the baby.” My husband and I heard something, but we weren’t sure if it was the heartbeat. She stopped the sound, measured the wavelength and then just said “So your baby’s heartbeat is 100 bpm.” We didn’t know it was happening! She played it again to measure again, which is where we got the 108, but it was all so short. Less then ten seconds each time, maybe between the two of them. She didn’t explain the ultrasound process for us, initially tried to do a trans abdominal before she said “It’s hard to do through so much belly”... When as I understand it, they usually don’t work all that well for anyone this early on.

Our doctor’s appointment that followed didn’t go much better, there was a lot of negativity in that appointment, too. But I’ve just been crying all day - I feel like an idiot for thinking I should have a baby. Am I overweight? Yes. Do I work out? Four times a week at least, for at least 30 minutes of cardio if not 40 or 50. The doctor could hardly contain her shock. What she doesn’t know is several years ago I lost 40 pounds, and this is just where I’ve always plateaued. But it wasn’t for lack of trying. She just told me to see a nutritionist. Do I have a history of anxiety and depression? Yes. She just wants to start me up on medication before I deliver to head it off. I have some unresolved issues in regards to passing out that she wants me to follow up on, but I felt like the doctor just thought I was so irresponsible for getting pregnant. 

Did anyone else have this kind of experience with their first appointment? I’ve just been crying since I got home. I sobbed into my husband’s chest when I got home. I can’t remember the moment I heard my baby’s heartbeat for the first time, I don’t remember how it sounds. My husband does, but I’m just heartbroken. I thought I’d feel reassured after our appointment today, but instead I just feel so dumb. 

I guess I’m just... hoping for some understanding. Has this only happened to me?
    I have learned that not all ultrasound techs are created equal.  Some say things that border on inappropriate and insensitive, some are helpful, some say nothing at all.  Now I know that when an ultrasound starts I ask them to explain what they are seeing or looking at or measuring.  I like to know what’s going on there and ask questions, it helps me feel better.  In terms of doctors, I agree with the others.  I made the difficult decision to switch doctors in the past and things were soooo much better after that.  I am far less stressed.  I don’t feel like I am wasting my money anymore.  And every time I see my doctor now I feel better instead of worse.  Hang in there.  Pregnancy is stressful and scary and you need a team you can trust on your side!
  • @remarkable2018 I'm sorry your u/s tech was so awful. Lots of plus-size women (I am, too) have healthy pregnancies and babies. If you can switch docs, it might be worth it. 
  • @louessbee wow! congrats! I feel like the % of twins in this BMB is so high!! 
  • Soooo many twins!

• Congrats @mokay19 !  Yes, my doctor also will see me pretty much as much as I want, but I'm trying to keep my cool.  I was in at 4+ weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, and now attempting to hold off until 11 weeks.  We'll see if I can make it!  Then I'll just be on the regular OB schedule and done with the RE.

• @remarkable2018 I’m sorry you had such a tough first appointment but I hope you take everyone’s advice and decide to find a new doctor who might have better bedside manner

To all the mommas with baby pictures today: they’re the cutest blurs I’be seen all week! Congratulations on healthy checkups!
  • So I’m in a bit of a funk. I tracked ovulation with opk and cramping which puts me at having ovulated Aug 20. I went to the doctor Sept 11 because I had strep throat and she wanted to double check and confirmed I was about 5 weeks showing this sac

Fast forward to my first official ultrasound this past Monday (7w6d) and now the doctor says the baby is measuring 6w2d. That’s 11 days behind. Which is impossible since I got my BFP Sept 5. We found a faint heartbeat of 102 but could not hear it. I was told to go back in two weeks. I’m already prepared for the worst. 

• @babytexidor at 7.5 weeks, the baby would have a heartbeat. You won’t be able to “hear” it yet but the doctor or ultrasound tech should have measured it on the ultrasound. Maybe they just didn’t tell you during the scan. If they didn’t have concerns though, I would try not to worry!